PDA

View Full Version : A Black Pittsburgh teen beaten by police officers for large object: bottle of M. Dew

Steelboy84
01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
(AP) PITTSBURGH (AP) - The photos taken by Jordan Miles' mother show his face covered with raw, red bruises, his cheek and lip swollen, his right eye swollen shut. A bald spot mars the long black dreadlocks where the 18-year-old violist says police tore them from his head.

Now, 10 days after plainclothes officers stopped him on a street and arrested him after a struggle that they say revealed a soda bottle under his coat, not the gun they suspected, his right eye is still slightly swollen and bloodshot. His head is shaved. The three white officers who arrested him have been reassigned. And his mother says she is considering a lawsuit.

"I feel that my son was racially profiled," Terez Miles said. "It's a rough neighborhood; it was after dark. ... They assumed he was up to no good because he's black. My son, he knows nothing about the streets at all. He's had a very sheltered life, he's very quiet, he doesn't know police officers sit in cars and stalk people like that."

A judge continued the case until Feb. 18 after the officers failed to appear at a hearing Thursday, Miles' attorney, Kerrington Lewis, said.

The police department is saying little as it investigates and isn't releasing the officers' names. Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said that the city is investigating whether the officers' actions were justified and that if they weren't, "they will be held accountable for those actions."

"The incident was very troubling to me, and we're taking it very seriously," Ravenstahl told reporters. "It seems as if there was a tremendous amount of force used."

Miles' family describes him as a studious teenager who plays the viola for a jazz band and the orchestra at Pittsburgh's prestigious Creative and Performing Arts High School.

The confrontation began around 11 p.m. Jan. 12, when the teenager walked out of his mother's home and headed to his grandmother's, where he spends most nights. His mother complimented him on the new jacket he had gotten for his birthday.

"It looks handsome," she said, smiling as he walked down the front steps.

As Miles walked up the block, he noticed three men sitting in a white car, "but I thought nothing of it," he said.

The criminal complaint says Miles was standing against a building "as if he was trying to avoid being seen." But he says he was walking when the men jumped out of the car.

"Where's the money?" one shouted, according to Miles. "Where's the gun? Where's the drugs?" the other two said. "It was intimidating; I thought I was going to be robbed," Miles said.

That's when he says he took off back to his mother's house but slipped on the icy sidewalk. Before he could pull himself up, Miles said, the men were at his back.

"That's when they started beating me, punching, kicking me, choking me," he said.

Not until 15 minutes later, when uniformed officers drove up in a van and Miles overheard their conversation, did he realize he had been arrested, he said. Initially, when the handcuffs were clamped around his wrists, he thought he was being abducted, he said.

The police believed Miles, who appeared to have something heavy in his pocket, was carrying a gun, according to the affidavit. The police say they used a stun gun on the teenager.

According to the affidavit, the object in Miles' pocket turned out to be a bottle of Mountain Dew. But Miles says he didn't have anything in his pocket and rarely drinks Mountain Dew.

"The story just doesn't make sense when you read the affidavit," said Lewis, the teen's attorney.

Miles said the family is considering suing the police department and the officers.

"I knew that he hadn't done anything wrong," his mother said. "That's just not an option for Jordan."

Pittsburgh police have reassigned the three officers and put them back in uniform while the city investigates, spokeswoman Diane Richard said. She declined to say whether racial allegations are part of the probe.

Meanwhile, Jordan Miles says he awaits a physician's approval to return to school and is suffering from nightmares and flashbacks.

Once he's done with school, he says, he hopes to attend Penn State University - and study crime scene investigation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/22/ap/national/main6129277.shtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CBSNewsPCAnswer+(PC+Answer%3A +CBSNews.com)

http://www.ksn.com/content/news/also/story/Honor-student-beaten-by-uniformed-officers/4oFhsleKsUODa0VxY4fPng.cspx

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/22/pennsylvania.arrest.dispute/index.html

Steelboy84
01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Ah yes, a 5'6" black male, minding his own business, carrying a deadly weapon known as "Mountain Dew", sees three men in plain clothes jump out of a car, and beat the hell out of him over his Mountain Dew because they deem it necessary.

They should just lock this kid up and throw away the key because he is an obvious danger to society. Great job cops, great job.

Godfather
01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Good thing he wasn't carrying a cell phone in Brentwood, or it would have been a lot worse.

beSteelmyheart
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, that sucks.
And who wouldn't be creeped out by 3 men in a car & make some attempt to avoid them?

fansince'76
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Good thing he wasn't carrying a cell phone in Brentwood, or it would have been a lot worse.

Or a soda can in Denver - he would've been shot.

SteelersinCA
01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Wait a second, the kid, allegedly, is carrying a bottle of Mt. Dew and a criminal complaint is filed for what??? Is the dew illegal in Pittsburgh these days? What the hell is he arrested for? Resisting? The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out. What in the world is there a criminal complaint filed for? Even if he was arrested, who is the moron District Attorney that filed that garbage?

devilsdancefloor
01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Wait a second, the kid, allegedly, is carrying a bottle of Mt. Dew and a criminal complaint is filed for what??? Is the dew illegal in Pittsburgh these days? What the hell is he arrested for? Resisting? The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out. What in the world is there a criminal complaint filed for? Even if he was arrested, who is the moron District Attorney that filed that garbage?

:iagree: what are the charges? if they dint identify themselves i too would have fought for my life. freaking assclowns. I realize being a cop is a hard job, but how about getting out of the car identifying yourself and asking to see what is in his pocket? then if he runs chase. 99,9% of the time if you have done nothing wrong your gonna say oh well it s a bottle of dew. oh and put the cops bnack oni teh streets in uniform while being investigated how about sit your hinney at home with no pay

HometownGal
01-26-2010, 08:16 AM
While I normally am very supportive of police in general, this incident absolutely horrifies me and isn't the first time Pittsburgh Police have been accused of using excessive force. I only hope this matter is investigated thoroughly and if what this young man and his mother are alleging is true, they are fired and held not only criminally responsible but civilly, as well. In other words - sue the living :poop: out of them. :mad:

X-Terminator
01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Let me see...they see a kid...with dreads...walking the streets at night...yeah, he must automatically be a drug-dealing thug! :doh:

I normally support police officers too, but heads had damn well better roll for this. :mad: This is outrageous and was a completely unnecessary use of force.

Godfather
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out.

Exactly. This is why plainclothes and undercover cops should never engage a suspect unless there's imminent danger. The whole point of not having a uniform is to blend in and look like a civilian.

Indo
01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
There's something fishy here---

The police report says that they took a bottle of Mountain Dew out of his pocket
He says he didn't have anything in his pocket, and that he rarely drinks Mt. Dew

Makes me think that the cops are trying to hide something...

Gnutella
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
This is what happens when yinzers become police officers.

steelpride12
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Should have told the cops it was a bottle of Mountain Dew and handed it to them and complied with the Police.

SteelCityMom
01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Should have told the cops it was a bottle of Mountain Dew and handed it to them and complied with the Police.

Thing is...he says he didn't have a bottle of Mountain Dew in his pocket. He said he rarely even drinks the stuff. And according to him, the 3 cops who were not in uniform didn't identify themselves as cops. He says he didn't even know he was being arrested until he overheard a conversation between the plainclothes cops and uniformed cops 15 minutes later.

Now, I fully understand that some people do lie to the cops...but why would someone lie about something like having a bottle of MD in their pocket. All I know is, if 3 dudes started running up on me asking where my money and drugs were...there's a good chance I would do my best to haul ass outta there too.

klick81
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I do hope this young man becomes very, very rich.

supa_fly_steeler
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
sounds like a racist beating to me.

Nadroj 20
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
There's something fishy here---

The police report says that they took a bottle of Mountain Dew out of his pocket
He says he didn't have anything in his pocket, and that he rarely drinks Mt. Dew

Makes me think that the cops are trying to hide something...

Yep, this was my thinking too, they said he had Mt. Dew and he says he had nothing, it sounds like they are making up an excuse for beating him up by saying they saw something in his pocket (when they didnt) then say woops are bad it was just Mt. Dew.....

Those cops better get in trouble :mad:

Steelboy84
01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
It's real sad because it makes the good and honorable cops look bad. The 95% of good cops have to carry a "stigma" because of the 5% of dummies.

steelerdude15
02-02-2010, 12:59 AM
It's real sad because it makes the good and honorable cops look bad. The 95% of good cops have to carry a "stigma" because of the 5% of dummies.
I agree 100 % with that statement.

Leftoverhard
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM

I agree 100% with that as well. Why is it always those few rotten apples that spoil the bunch? Incidents like this are so much more damaging than they first appear too, more than just the bruises and beating - a downward spiral effect that could really mess that kid up. Most cops are decent people who do their best most of the time, it's a hard job - but i can't imagine what happened there.

Steeldude
02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
the pathetic media playing the race card to get viewers.