PDA

View Full Version : Dexter McCluster An Option?

Steel-Bryan
01-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Have any of you guys seen Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss ? I think this guy is going to be something great in the NFL, and scouts say that he is a late 2nd round to mid 3rd round pick. I honestly think he can fill in for FWP if we dont resign him. What do you guys think?

Here is a short video of him :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-chWh64Dc

Sharkissle29
01-25-2010, 11:46 PM
He is unreal and i would love to see them grab him in the 3rd if he is there

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Have any of you guys seen Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss ? I think this guy is going to be something great in the NFL, and scouts say that he is a late 2nd round to mid 3rd round pick. I honestly think he can fill in for FWP if we dont resign him. What do you guys think?

Well as impressive as this kid is I don't see the Steelers making that a Number one priority in the draft. We still have Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman if needed for the team and if a running back were to be taken I wouldn't expect it till 4 round and beyond.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
they won't even try logan in the backfield so why would they use a pick on another miniback?

ricardisimo
01-26-2010, 12:32 AM
There are great quarterbacks in this draft as well... and we ain't drafting any of them. Similarly, RB is not a priority.

supa_fly_steeler
01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
qZNCPOMuXhA

atlsteelers
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
this guy would be a change of pace guy but he is a football player. mike wallace turned out pretty good.

atlsteelers
01-26-2010, 11:10 AM
There are great quarterbacks in this draft as well... and we ain't drafting any of them. Similarly, RB is not a priority.

i think running back is a priority. parker is gone and mendehall still has a lot to prove.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Simply put......We have to many needs to draft a RB in the first 4 rounds. "Need/Value"

devilsdancefloor
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
i think running back is a priority. parker is gone and mendehall still has a lot to prove.

rushhard proved himself last year. there is frank the tank, justin vincent, and the man with a lot of glide issacc redman oh and i know he is listed as a WR but logan. i think we are good at RB.

Galax Steeler
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM

I think Mendenhall still has some to prove but what more could you ask for over a 1,000 yards his first real year and that is after missing 4 games. He is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. So I have to dissagre a running back is not a priorty from my stand point but if we can get one in the later rounds I would say yes.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM

I think we probably will either draft a late round RB (5th-7th round) or bring in a FA to compete with Redman & Vincent as the third back.

jonslow
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
McCluster is working out at wide receiver here at the Senior Bowl. He weighed in officially at 165 lbs. yesterday morning and in my opnion is way too small to play tailback in the NFL, especially for the Steelers. He's just too small. He's really fast, but is just too thin to be an effective runner when not in space.

JPbucco
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Simply put......We have to many needs to draft a RB in the first 4 rounds. "Need/Value"

Strongly disagree with this. In the modern NFL two strong backs are the rule not the exception.

Besides if Mendy goes down...Who ya got?

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
they won't even try logan in the backfield so why would they use a pick on another miniback?

Logan was brought in to return not play RB. Where you coming from ? I believe in the third McCluster would be a good pick for a change of pace back.

KartSteel
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
We need to start addressing our most pressing needs in my opinion. We need to draft Def. backfield(Safety), Def. Front, Linebacker(Inside), O-line, especially if we are going to commit to running the ball better in 2010. I think we all agree that our depth at the safety position needs to be addressed big time. We need to draft & groom a linebacker to replace J. Farrior soon. We also need to draft guys that will be ready to contribute some this year & ready to start next year in some positions. Just my opinion though.

supa_fly_steeler
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
if he fell to the 3rd maybe, to the 4th definitley

supa_fly_steeler
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Strongly disagree with this. In the modern NFL two strong backs are the rule not the exception.

not all true, look at chris johnson 500 carries 2000 yards. didn't slow down or even get injured. That theory is all bollocks, it's whats suits your offense best.

jonslow
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
not all true, look at chris johnson 500 carries 2000 yards. didn't slow down or even get injured. That theory is all bollocks, it's whats suits your offense best.

Chris Johnson is also over 200 lbs and can run between the tackles. McCluster is 165 lbs. and isn't even working out at the position for the Senior Bowl.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Look at my Steeler draft in the LLT thread.

1) NT Dan Williams
2) FS/SS Nate Allen
3) CB Brandon Ghee,
4) OT Jared Veldheer .
5) RB Joique Bell
5b) Kicker Leigh Tiffin
5c) OLB Arthur Moats
6) QB John Skelton
7) TE Nate Byham
7) SS/FS Aaron Webster

Bell has had 100 TD's (Div II) in college, and would be worth a shot in the 5th round. I never said DONT draft a RB...we just have too many needs to draft an RB in the first 4 rounds....Keep in mind that we also have Redman and Vincent.

JPbucco
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Johnson was one of a very few backs who carried the load for their team, Need depth here, even if it means signing a veteran.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
We need to start addressing our most pressing needs in my opinion. We need to draft Def. backfield(Safety), Def. Front, Linebacker(Inside), O-line, especially if we are going to commit to running the ball better in 2010. I think we all agree that our depth at the safety position needs to be addressed big time. We need to draft & groom a linebacker to replace J. Farrior soon. We also need to draft guys that will be ready to contribute some this year & ready to start next year in some positions. Just my opinion though.

You are right on the money!!!:thumbsup:

Steel-Bryan
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I say we draft like this :

1. CB
2. ILB
3. FS
4.RB
5.OL
6.DT
7.DT

ricardisimo
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Mewelde hasn't even been mentioned. Is he completely out of the equation?

No... a 165-lb guy working out at WR is not going to be the 2nd "strong back" on any team, let alone the Steelers.

San Diego is an anomaly, and even they are a question mark. They ranked right near the very bottom in rushing, so that should give you a good idea of how a little back can produce.

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Johnson was one of a very few backs who carried the load for their team, Need depth here, even if it means signing a veteran.Agreed! I don't think drafting a RB this year is the answer with Moore and Rashard in there, I think we could adress any depth issues via free agency. Though i did see the Senior Bowl practice McCluster can fly and would probably make a good return guy. But this is just not as pressing a need for the steelers and he is going to be drafted to high for a solo return man/ slot reciever. 3rd round they should be drafting there
2nd if not 3rd defensive player.