PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl Is A Joke

steelerdave1969
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
In my opinion the NFL has screwed the Pro Bowl up very badly this year. With the game being played this weekend, the weekend Before the Super Bowl is crazy. The AFC is down to David Garrard as a QB in the Pro Bowl.. that is a joke..
But I am glad to see that TE Heath Miller made it in to take Dallas Clark's place..

SCSTILLER
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Couldn't agree more with you Dave. Watch the ratings tank for the game (were never really that high to begin with). Heck, Jacksonville cannot even get its own fans to watch David Garrard, let alone the rest of the NFL fans.

I don't know how I would feel about making the Pro Bowl if I was Heath. I am glad he made it and is deserving of it and should have been on the roster right from the get go, not having to be a sub for someone who won't be there.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
It's been a joke for many years. The fan voting helps a lot in making it a joke.

Now playing it the week before the Super Bowl and losing 14 starts just because of that fact alone makes it an even bigger joke.

No Manning, no Brady, no Roethlisberger for the AFC.

No Brees, no Favre for the NFC.

I mean come on, Garrard?

Galax Steeler
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I am not a fan of the Pro bowl either. Like others has stated playing it a week before the superbowl alot of your good players will not even be going cause of this. They don't play hard they are just there for show.

jjpro11
01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
it is shaping up to be the worst in history. way too many players have pulled out.

lionslicer
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
David Garrard scored 18 touchdowns in 10 games, its not too shabby..... but looking at the AFC quarterbacks... you're lucky Flacco isn't at the pro bowl, because he was actually the next best quarterback statistically below Ben..

and this year 11 quarterbacks made the pro bowl... lol
13 recievers
12 safties, which is actually good to see, usually its around 3 per team.. we might see Troy be in there, because he was leading all players in fan votes after missing like 8 games... lol

7SteelGal43
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I am a fan of the Pro Bowl. I think it's a chance to see the best players just having fun with the game. It should continue to be played in Hawaii the week AFTER the SuperBowl. I mean look how many of the leagues best players are opting out. When has that ever happened ? Not to mention anyone from the SuperBowls teams sure won't be playing.

Indo
01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't worry...the ratings will tank this year and Good(for_nothing)dell will have to move it back to it's original time-frame-----after the SB.

It just amazes me that Rozelle (spelling?) and Tagliabue did so much to enhance and advance the NFL and this joker is just messing (the word I'm thinking of actually starts with an "F") it up one stupid move at a time. The dumbass wants to take two of the 4 pre-season games and turn them into regular season games just to be able to generate more revenue for the NFL. Now, the pre-season games can be a little tedious, but how does a coach evaluate his players in order to be able to get down to a 53-man roster in just 2 pre-season games?

Kanata-Steeler
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I just wish SuperBowl was a "week" after the Conference playoff final, just like the other 18 or so weekly regular games....
oh ya, I forgot PRO-BULL, well can someone please stick that in a time slot roughly 2-weeks or more AFTER the SuperBowl. ?!
and no, I'm not an advertising executive who shoiuld know better ?, :), blah, blah, blah....
It should be like the NHL,..., and others, Just keep playin' weekly -until the fat-lady-sings. All the rest is just BS-media-hype.

Kanata-Steeler
01-26-2010, 07:02 PM
...actually, and in a personal way, Pro-BULL timing is a little relaxing, since my family will be gratiously suprised that the "TV-remote" is not locked this Sunday, and the wife will be happy that the den is finally getting painted this weekend.
The moral of this is, " Somtimes there is a wonderful surprise under any hardship that we must endure." and its not always bad in the long run.
:drink:

Godfather
01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Goodell is so full of fail it's scary.

Let's see...one week before the Super Bowl. So you have to take all the Saints and Colts out. Brilliant. And as a result, the game becomes a consolation game for players who came up short, so they're less inclined to go. To top it off, you move the game out of Hawaii so the wives and girlfriends don't drag the players there by the ear.

SteelerEmpire
01-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I never liked the all-star game (pro-bowl) because the teams are not allowed to run certain plays (that they could in the regular season) because they think their too dangerous. This just makes the thing "even more" boring and without purpose. The whole idea behind the game should get an "extreme makeover "...

steelpride12
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Goodell is the joke and he makes the probowl the LOLfest it truly is. A week before the Superbowl and what did you think the two best or close to the best wouldn't make it to the SB. So of course there were going to be over 15 players switching the roster which in no way makes it the "Pro" bowl anymore and defeats the points. A joke Ill never respect even though its great Miller is finally getting his chance to be known by the NFL.

zulater
01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/26/colts-polian-calls-new-pro-bowl-setup-stupid/

Colts president Bill Polian lashed out against the NFL’s new Pro Bowl setup, saying that playing the all-star game the week before the Super Bowl instead of the traditional week after is “stupid” and “a disruption” to his players.

Polian told Dan Dakich of 1070 the Fan in Indianapolis on Monday (via Sports Radio Interviews) that having the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl will be an issue for the seven Colts who will be honored. The players were supposed to have the weekend off but instead will fly to South Florida on Saturday, eight days before they face the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV.

The seven Colts will not play in the Pro Bowl, but they must fully participate in pregame introductions and other festivities in order to earn a full player’s share.

“It’s stupid,” Polian said. “It’s a disruption, but we’ll deal with it.

“Well, we’ll come back to practice on Wednesday. We’ll practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. They’ll have off Saturday. If it weren’t for the Pro Bowl disruption, they would have the weekend off, but they can’t because we have to send those players to Miami to do Lord knows what. We’ll come back and practice on Sunday, and the Pro Bowl players will go and do whatever they have to do, and then the team will leave on Monday.”

Polian was unsure if the players would travel back to Indianapolis after the Pro Bowl, then go right back to South Florida with the team Monday.

“I think they plan to keep them down there that evening,” Polian said. “They haven’t even told us yet what this is all about. We don’t even have any details or anything like that. Maybe they will call us Friday and tell us.

“In any event, the fact of the matter is that we’re thinking that they’re down there Sunday night and they will meet us Monday, which is a hell of a thing, isn’t it? It sends a great message to all the young people out there and all the coaches that talk teamwork that you take your best seven players and split them up from your team at the ultimate moment in sports.”

Get this. Super bowl participants still have to be part of the pre game Pro Bowl activities in order to qualify for their players share for the game.

I think if I were them I'd just tell the league to stuff their check and go on about my business in preparing for the game that matters.

I don't think this stupid experiment will last much longer.

lionslicer
01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Remember when the Pro Bowl was an ALL-Star NFL team versus the NFL championship? Back when players got paid very little and played their hearts out every play, every game, no matter exibition or playoff game. There are players out there who just do well enough to get paid enough, but don't try enough to start so they can make a lot of money sitting on the sideline... The lowest paid NFL players get paid about $225,000 a year...