PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Practices

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Got to see the practice today on NFL network just a few comments of my own please add all your thoughts as well. (please only add guys that fit the steelers needs)

DT
1.Terrance Cody - from what i can tell this guy is the real deal 370 lbs. and pretty quick, for his size amazing feet.
2.Dan Williams- not a first rounder based on what I saw today to slow , sloppy technique , plays to high.
3.Geno Atkins - i know it was just one practice so far but he looked better than Williams
DB
1.Nate Allen - I thought he was the most impressive very good coverage, doesn't lose the ball.
2.Patrick Robinson - very fast in and out of cuts good make up speed not sure if he's a first rounder though.
3.Javier Arenas- gets beat easily with the double moves but good speed keeps him in plays.
4.Taylor Mays - Its a good thing he is a safety because he can't cover 1on1. I think he just might have to move to LB.

Thoughts on any one else?

RJ1670
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm pimpin Earl Thomas. I changed from Cody. I want Thomas in the first if he's still there at 18.

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm pimpin Earl Thomas. I changed from Cody. I want Thomas in the first if he's still there at 18.

I feel you on that did you see the avatar? If he is there forget Cody!

jonslow
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Got to see the practice today on NFL network just a few comments of my own please add all your thoughts as well. (please only add guys that fit the steelers needs)

DT
1.Terrance Cody - from what i can tell this guy is the real deal 370 lbs. and pretty quick, for his size amazing feet.
2.Dan Williams- not a first rounder based on what I saw today to slow , sloppy technique , plays to high.
3.Geno Atkins - i know it was just one practice so far but he looked better than Williams
DB
1.Nate Allen - I thought he was the most impressive very good coverage, doesn't lose the ball.
2.Patrick Robinson - very fast in and out of cuts good make up speed not sure if he's a first rounder though.
3.Javier Arenas- gets beat easily with the double moves but good speed keeps him in plays.
4.Taylor Mays - Its a good thing he is a safety because he can't cover 1on1. I think he just might have to move to LB.

Thoughts on any one else?

I'm actually in Mobile right now covering the week for www.sidelinescouting.net

From what I saw at weigh-ins, Cody has been a hot topic based on his body composition. He looked really flabby at the weigh-ins, but he looked pretty good at practice today. The biggest question with him will be his conditioning and stamina- something no one can gauge from the laid-back practices here.

Williams was disappointing today. He came in at 329 at weigh-ins and has a huge, muscular lower body but did not perform today. I'm hoping he turns it around soon because there are very few defensive tackles in this years draft that are 310+

Atkins was solid. I was at a news conference at which he spoke a couple hours ago. He seemed like a good kid but I didn't see much of him at practice.

As for DBs, Kyle Wilson on the North squad was the best I've seen, and I watched DBs extensively today. He had scouts around me talking. Great in coverage, fast, good feet, big plays...

Robinson and Arenas were solid, but not great. Both got beat several times today and showed their own set of deficiencies. Robinson's footwork was poor and Arenas tried to jump routes too often. Otherwise, I didn't think they were bad.

Taylor Mays (as I've said for a while) is a prototypical strong safety. He came in at 231 lbs and is in great shape. He's fast and can tackle, but can't cover to save his life. I kept a tally of times he hesitated in covering a route at the cut and reached three in five plays. He's an athlete, but is not a strong cover safety.

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Jonslow ? You agree that Mays is not a first rounder he is to limited. Hey man thanks alot for the feed I'll be checking out your link. On the coverage today they said Jeff Byers was handling Cody where his he projected to go and how high you think he could rise?

jonslow
01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Jonslow ? You agree that Mays is not a first rounder he is to limited. Hey man thanks alot for the feed I'll be checking out your link. On the coverage today they said Jeff Byers was handling Cody where his he projected to go and how high you think he could rise?

My constituants are split in their analysis of Mays, but I think he should go in the second. He has all the physical ability in the world, but he has very poor cover skills. It does no good to be fast and get to the ball if you can't make a play on it. It was evident in one-on-one drills today. He needs to work hard on his stiff hips and instincts if he is to warrant a first-round pick.

I really thought Cody would be terrible based on the way he looked at weigh-ins, but he really didn't do badly today. He got off the line fairly well and pushed a lot of lineman around. He solidified himself as a legitimate run-stuffer. It's just his endurance and stamina that will come into question. As far as "handled"... no, I wouldn't say that. He played up to the level of expectation I would say.

Thanks for the props. Hope you enjoy the site. :thumbsup:

polamalu82
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm actually in Mobile right now covering the week for www.sidelinescouting.net

From what I saw at weigh-ins, Cody has been a hot topic based on his body composition. He looked really flabby at the weigh-ins, but he looked pretty good at practice today. The biggest question with him will be his conditioning and stamina- something no one can gauge from the laid-back practices here.

Not sold on Cody. Like you said, his stamina seem to be in question. He seemed inconsistent at times too. So far not worth the pick to me at 18.

Williams was disappointing today. He came in at 329 at weigh-ins and has a huge, muscular lower body but did not perform today. I'm hoping he turns it around soon because there are very few defensive tackles in this years draft that are 310+

Agreed here also. Williams seemed to get average push up the middle. I was disappointed in what he had to show today.

As for DBs, Kyle Wilson on the North squad was the best I've seen, and I watched DBs extensively today. He had scouts around me talking. Great in coverage, fast, good feet, big plays...

Again, you're spot on. I was impressed with his coverage/ball skills he showed both days. He seems real fluid in his hips. Seems to do his flat foot 3 step read really well, which for a college player says a lot.

Taylor Mays (as I've said for a while) is a prototypical strong safety. He came in at 231 lbs and is in great shape. He's fast and can tackle, but can't cover to save his life. I kept a tally of times he hesitated in covering a route at the cut and reached three in five plays. He's an athlete, but is not a strong cover safety.

Agreed, he seemed really tight in his hips. He also seems to lack the ability to cover in man-to-man coverage. He is impressive to look at, but IMO not worth the pick at 18.

.....by the way, if this is part of your job....I'll take it any day of the week.:chuckle:

Chidi29
01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Agreed. Would give anything to be in your position....or at least get the NFL Network. :(

jonslow
01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
.....by the way, if this is part of your job....I'll take it any day of the week.:chuckle:

Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate the good feedback.

And yes, this is definitely the life. :tt02:

polamalu82
01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate the good feedback.

And yes, this is definitely the life. :tt02:

You're welcome.

Also, what did you think of S'ydquan Thompson? He seemed to do okay in zone, but man-to-man he seemed to lack long speed. What's the "buzz" on him?

jonslow
01-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Also, what did you think of S'ydquan Thompson? He seemed to do okay in zone, but man-to-man he seemed to lack long speed. What's the "buzz" on him?

I haven't heard many scouts talk about him, but I thought he was alright. I'm looking at my notes from the day and I made it a point to write down that he made good adjustments to the ball in the air and had good hips, but didn't do well in press coverage or coming up for tackles after the catch. He didn't look slow, but he's no burner either. He came in at 5'9" 182, so his press coverage abilities probably will never be terrific, but he did look good in the zone. It was all cover 3 looks when the DBs went into zone and he manned the flats well. I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on his the rest of the week and compare/contrast him to Kyle Wilson and Brandon Ghee a little bit.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Joique Bell made a few nice catches during position drills. Heís been really impressive in practices. North coach Jim Schwartz made a comment yesterday during the press conference that with players like Bell who come from small schools, you look to see if they fit in with this level of competition. Bell has fit in and looks like a solid mid round prospect in Aprilís draft at this point.
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/srbowl/jan27/north/blog/

I'm hoping that he is there in the 5th...This is a guy I have had my eye on all year. I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm hoping that he is there in the 5th...This is a guy I have had my eye on all year. I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy.

I know you have been pimping Bell since early this season, but I think a solid Sr. Bowl week is pushing him up to the 4th round.

Joique Bell/RB/Wayne State: The small-school prospect has turned heads since stepping on the field. He broke several long runs on Tuesday, displaying outstanding vision and a burst. Bell ran hard on the inside and has competed well all week.

Likewise, I think Dan Williams is gonna be in the 1st round and who knows......maybe a Steeler.

Dan Williams/DT/Tennessee: Williams was ferocious on the inside and pushed blockers around all day. He possesses terrific power and was able to collapse the pocket or bullrush opponents off the ball. Williams

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/25/seniorbowl.monday/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0dwbLN2LX