PDA

View Full Version : Wille Parker Says: "I Want To Be The Starter "...

SteelerEmpire
01-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Article, 1/27/10:
Steelers RB Willie Parker says he wants to be a starter -- somewhere -- more than he wants to remain in Pittsburgh.

The six-year veteran, who lost his starting job to Rashard Mendenhall last season, can become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. And Parker said his priority is getting a chance to start.

His comments:

"I'm a starter always looked at myself as starter, that's what I want to be. So, till I hang up pads, that's how I'm going to look at myself. Rashard is a great back and he had a great season and, hopefully, he'll carry it on.

"I had six great years here with the Steelers. We won two Super Bowls. I want to thank the organization and thank everybody. You know how the business goes. I love these guys. I love the organization. I'm a Steeler by heart. We'll see what happens in the future."

Parker rushed for just 389 yards last season, the fewest since he had 186 yards in eight games as a rookie. He is a two-time Pro Bowler who had at least 1,200 rushing yards each year from 2006-2008 and helped the Steelers win two Super Bowls.

Mendenhall was a first-round pick in 2008, rushed for 1,108 yards and seven TDs after claiming the top of the depth chart from Parker in Week 4.

supa_fly_steeler
01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Hmmm Willie Parker... i love you man just retire so i dont break your legs in the next madden game with timmons lmao.

maybe he wants to stay and can feel he can beat rashard out for the job. against miami he looked very promising.

fansince'76
01-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Bye, Willie, and good luck.

steelpride12
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Willie and that's exactly why we are going to let you go be a starter somewhere out. Mendy beat you for your job fair and square, you had injury problems and we all love ya, but good luck elsewhere.

Newzfoxjr
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
FWP has always been lethal to the defense on Madden. I use him in a lot of situations. I'll miss having that quick threat out of the backfield.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

I wouldnt be surprised to see him in San Diego or Philadeplhia....but can SERIOUSLY see him playing for Seattle next year.

MACH1
01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Appreciate what you did for us and good luck in the future.

Buh Bye :wave:

Milkman
01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Can he really be a starter somewhere?
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he has done for us.
But, I don't think he can be counted on as a starter for any team.

$.02

Glace
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Sucks when people forget where they came from.

I wish him luck, but if he continues with this attitude, Parker is going to be destined for failure. He lost the starting role for a reason.

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I never did take a full liking to Willie. He was always a little overrated IMO. But he hasn't been the same since he broke his leg against St. Louis a few years back, and anybody who would pay top dollar for him start is foolish and will end up being very disappointed.

I appreciate your services here in Pittsburgh, Willie, but your time being "the man" is up...

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Sucks when people forget where they came from.

I wish him luck, but if he continues with this attitude, Parker is going to be destined for failure. He lost the starting role for a reason.

I dont think he was showing an attitude...he specifically said:

"I had six great years here with the Steelers. We won two Super Bowls. I want to thank the organization and thank everybody. You know how the business goes. I love these guys. I love the organization. I'm a Steeler by heart."

He is just competitive which is why he said:

"I'm a starter always looked at myself as starter, that's what I want to be. So, till I hang up pads, that's how I'm going to look at myself.

Nothing wrong with that!!! I appreciated his work ethic while he was here, so I am not going to dis him for having one as he prepares to leave.
Good luck Willie!

devilsdancefloor
01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Good luck willie thanks! and good luck on that starting role as well just ask lefty about that...

Glace
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I dont think he was showing an attitude...he specifically said:

He is just competitive which is why he said:

Nothing wrong with that!!! I appreciated his work ethic while he was here, so I am not going to dis him for having one as he prepares to leave.
Good luck Willie!

It's called "Saying all the right things"

I once left a job that I absolutely hated. I hated the organization. I hated the people I worked with. I felt under-utilized. I wanted to be "the man" but kept getting thrown under the bus (no pun intended). But...I kept all that to myself. My resignation letter was very positive. I praised the organization and made sure I didn't burn any bridges.

That's all Willie is doing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Good luck willie thanks! and good luck on that starting role as well just ask lefty about that...

I dont know. I raised an eyebrow to see that some thought Townsend could still be a starter, but I think there are a couple of teams that could use Willie effectively

Take Seattle for instance. They have two picks in the first half of the first round. Conventional wisdom is that they may use one of those picks on a Spiller. They could:
1) Sign Willie
2) Then trade down from that pick and get another couple of picks...
3) Still get a RB like Jahvid Best later in the later part of the first, who can share carries and learn from Willie

steelreserve
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, we'll see what happens when free agent signings start.

Willie Parker says: "I want to be the starter."

The rest of the league says: "LOL."

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 11:38 AM

I once left a job that I absolutely hated. I hated the organization. I hated the people I worked with. I felt under-utilized. I wanted to be "the man" but kept getting thrown under the bus (no pun intended). But...I kept all that to myself. My resignation letter was very positive. I praised the organization and made sure I didn't burn any bridges.

..and you base this on.....???

Willie has never been a disgruntled employee or caused waves . He gracefully accepted his role as a backup and continued to mentor Rashad after losing his starting role.

To add anything "nefarious" to what willie is saying can only be done by assumption or pre-concieved belief. There is no facts to back up any comparison to Willie being like an employee who hates his job.

DoubleYoi
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM

I think you're making a lot out of nothing here. Willie won two Super Bowls as the feature back. He was given a chance to prove that he still had what it takes when Mendy went down last season but the running game was dismal which wasn't surprising with the O-Line we have. It's still surprising that the Steelers won the SB without a dominant aspect to their offense....Just shows what a great defense will do for you. Mewelde Moore complemented him nicely as a situational back but Willie just couldn't hold off the kid with fresh legs to retain his starting job.

He'll land on his feet in another town and he's just telling it like it is. He had a great run here and in no way do I think he's burning any bridges. It's a business and he's trying to make the most of the remainder of his career and shouldn't feel bad for doing so. If he pursues a starting job and doesn't find it, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him back here if the price is right and he can still compliment Mendy as a speedy change-of-pace back. Fact is, he lost a step when he broke his leg in St. Louis which is debilitating when you're an undersized back who relies on speed and shiftiness.

He's had a hell of a career for a kid who couldn't even crack the starting roster in college. Good luck Willie and thanks for the memories! :tt03:

scsteeler
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I really Like Willie so this is nothing against him but the way to be the starter is to outperform the person in front of you and that will hold true anywhere.

I would really love to see him stay in Pittsburgh but I understand the need to be a starter.

Hope he thinks this through really well because a lot of people have left to be backups in places they are not as happy as they were in Steel City.

Good Luck Willie P.

supa_fly_steeler
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
i will cry if he leaves

MACH1
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I think teams might think twice as signing him as "the" starter with how injury pron he has been the last couple of years. They're not going to sign a guy to big money to only have him go down in week 5.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
While I appreciate Willie Parker's contributions to the Pittsburgh Steelers, I don't think he's going to get a starters role anywhere in the NFL.

Maybe the chance to come in and compete with someone to start, but I don't think anyone is going to sign him and say "oh yeah, he's #1 on the depth chart for sure".

These past two seasons he has been injury prone. He was given the chance to be the starter this season and he lost the role to Mendenhall.

DoubleYoi
01-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I really Like Willie so this is nothing against him but the way to be the starter is to outperform the person in front of you and that will hold true anywhere.

I would really love to see him stay in Pittsburgh but I understand the need to be a starter.

Hope he thinks this through really well because a lot of people have left to be backups in places they are not as happy as they were in Steel City.

Good Luck Willie P.

I think the logic is to aim high. He thinks he still has some good football left in him and who knows, with the right O-line chemistry he may surprise some people and have a very good year in 2010. He's just being realistic in looking elsewhere because the Steelers have their man in Rashard. Even if Mendenhall gets injured again, the Steelers are going to want to pay him the kind of scratch he wants to be a backup.

Steel-Bryan
01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
He'll be a raider, buc, patirot or a seahawk

DoubleYoi
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I think teams might think twice as signing him as "the" starter with how injury pron he has been the last couple of years. They're not going to sign a guy to big money to only have him go down in week 5.

I doubt he's expecting a huge payday and a guaranteed starter title. I'm sure he's looking to sign on with a team he feels will give him a good chance of seeing a lot of playing time and battle hard through training camp. He may thrive in a new system with a more talented (less injury-depleted) O-Line and hit some major incentives along the way. Good luck to Willie in his journey.

DoubleYoi
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
He'll be a raider, buc, patirot or a seahawk

I was going to suggest the Raiders and the Seahawks have already been mentioned but you may be on to something with the Pats. Old head like Fred Taylor goes down and Willie P is right there to fill in. Only problem is that the Pats have an injury-prone back in Maroney so they'll probably want somebody a little more of an up-side.

LVSteelersfan
01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't dislike Willie. But running backs time comes and goes fast in the NFL. He won't get a starting gig anywhere in the NFL because RB by committee is the major thing these days. Even Tomlinson has to share time with Darren Sproles. The only way he gets a starting gig is to go to some crap team that won't even sniff the playoffs. Even most of the crap teams are pretty well set at RB already. Not a lot of starting gigs out there. If he doesn't want to take the hometown discount, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You won't get a better gig than you already have in Pittsburgh. You are not good enough any more to be a starter on most teams.

solardave
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't be surprised if he plays for 2 or 3 more productive years somewhere else. He's earned his payday, just not here. We can't risk it. He sure looked good in the last game. Hope he can maintain that and justify that big check he gets from who knows who.

DoubleYoi
01-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't dislike Willie. But running backs time comes and goes fast in the NFL. He won't get a starting gig anywhere in the NFL because RB by committee is the major thing these days. Even Tomlinson has to share time with Darren Sproles. The only way he gets a starting gig is to go to some crap team that won't even sniff the playoffs. Even most of the crap teams are pretty well set at RB already. Not a lot of starting gigs out there. If he doesn't want to take the hometown discount, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You won't get a better gig than you already have in Pittsburgh. You are not good enough any more to be a starter on most teams.

The RB by committee approach still requires a starting RB. I really don't think he's expecting to get 95% of the carries but wants to get the majority.

HometownGal
01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Gotta just love the class FWP displays. :drink: Can't say I blame him one bit for wanting to start and I hope everything works out for him :thumbsup: As I've said before - he'll always be a Steeler in my black 'n gold heart.

AllD
01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see him in San Diego or Philadeplhia....but can SERIOUSLY see him playing for Seattle next year.

Like Franco?

Galax Steeler
01-28-2010, 05:21 AM
I wish Willie the best of luck wherever he goes. He will probably get more carries somewhere else but I don't think he will find a featured back roll anywhere. Him being injury prone don't help matters of finding a starting job.

Milkman
01-28-2010, 05:29 AM
I dont know. I raised an eyebrow to see that some thought Townsend could still be a starter, but I think there are a couple of teams that could use Willie effectively

Take Seattle for instance. They have two picks in the first half of the first round. Conventional wisdom is that they may use one of those picks on a Spiller. They could:
1) Sign Willie
2) Then trade down from that pick and get another couple of picks...
3) Still get a RB like Jahvid Best later in the later part of the first, who can share carries and learn from Willie

The only problem with that is, I don't think FWP can beat out Justin Forsett for the starting job.

$.02

zulater
01-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Willie's chances of starting are no less or greater in Pgh. than anywhere else imo. Who knows, maybe he'll find the market not so receptive and decide he's just as well off staying as going?:noidea:

I think FWP showed in the season finale that he still has some gas in the tank. I also think it was fairly evident that he wasn't anything close to healthy early in the season. Regardless I think he still has value, but probably not as much as he thinks. Or at least that will be the perception of those that could possibloy be in the market for another back.

stlrtruck
01-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't think FWP truly recovered from the broken leg he suffered against the rams a few years ago.

He's been slow to the hole and skiddish when getting hit. However, he has shown that he still has that burst once he's in the open.

I appreciate FWP for what he's contributed to this team, and I hope he would want to stay. However, I understand his mentality of wanting to be a starter and should he go, then I wish him luck (except for when he plays the Steelers)

SteelerFanInStl
01-28-2010, 07:46 AM
:wave: See ya Willie! Thanks for the memories. :drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
The only problem with that is, I don't think FWP can beat out Justin Forsett for the starting job.

$.02

Actually..Julius Jones was the starting RB in Seattle. Forsett only started 2 games, and between the two of them , they only managed 6 rushing TD's and a #29 ranked rush offense.

pepsyman1
01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I think Fast Willie still has juice left in the tank if he can find a team that can use him properly. I don't think we ever really maximized his ability. Most of our rushing with Willie has always been to the inside and we complain about him not being big enough or strong enough. We never did that good a job of setting up plays for him to run around the outside or tried to involve him in the passing game with some swing and screen passes where we could have taken more advantage of his speed. Doing some of those things might have opened some bigger holes up the middle for him as well. I think we could have used him the Eagles have used Brian Westbrook over the years. I still think we could use Mendi and FWP in the same backfield the way the 70's Steelers used Rocky and Franco....unfortunately, I don't think we are gonna see something that old school our of Arains. Hope Willie finds a good home.

Milkman
01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Actually..Julius Jones was the starting RB in Seattle. Forsett only started 2 games, and between the two of them , they only managed 6 rushing TD's and a #29 ranked rush offense.

I still don't think he would be a starter there.

$.02

Prok
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd like to see us draft a bigger back in the Mendenhall mold. That'd be a nice platoon imo.

revefsreleets
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Wait, wasn't the plan for Willie to sandbag all year, pretend to be hurt so he could snag a HUGE contract next year? Since teams LOVE to overpay for backs who run for 386 a season?

I think another team will sign him, and if he can stay healthy, he'll be productive. But it won't be the Steelers, because some team WILL overpay slightly based on potential...but certainly NOT because he was injured half the year.

JEFF4i
01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Willie for Revis.

:D

SteelGhost
01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
"In your wildest dreams" <======= Possible response from Rex Ryan :chuckle:

DoubleYoi
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I think Fast Willie still has juice left in the tank if he can find a team that can use him properly. I don't think we ever really maximized his ability. Most of our rushing with Willie has always been to the inside and we complain about him not being big enough or strong enough. We never did that good a job of setting up plays for him to run around the outside or tried to involve him in the passing game with some swing and screen passes where we could have taken more advantage of his speed. Doing some of those things might have opened some bigger holes up the middle for him as well. I think we could have used him the Eagles have used Brian Westbrook over the years. I still think we could use Mendi and FWP in the same backfield the way the 70's Steelers used Rocky and Franco....unfortunately, I don't think we are gonna see something that old school our of Arains. Hope Willie finds a good home.

Willie did plenty of running around the end. He played the majority of his career with the best pulling guard (Faneca) and best blocking WR (Hines) in the NFL and I don't agree that he wasn't utilized correctly. Actually, I feel sometimes that he went to the well one too many times trying to bounce a play outside. That's where his obvious strenth is and he was very good at what he did. You have to do some inside running to set up the sweeps and screens and he did that pretty well too (75-yard run in SB XL.) Fact is, he's an undersized back who relies heavily on his speed due to lack of size. Once he lost that step after breaking his leg, Steelers traded Faneca and O-Line went to hell in a handbasket, Parker's days here were pretty much numbered. He's had a hell of a career here for an undrafted RB.

revefsreleets
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
One thing I've never understood is why Parker was always considered undersized. Maybe it has something to do with the inevitable "Da Bus" comparisons.

The fact is, Parker is probably about average at his 210 lbs. If you look at the top 10 rushers last year, they are:
Johnson: 5'11" 200
Jackson : 6'2" 236 (biggest on the list)
Jones: 5'10" 212
Jones-Drew: 5'7" 208
Peterson: 6'1" 217
Rice: 5'8" 210
Grant: 6'1" 222
Benson: 5'11" 225
Stewart: 5'10" 235

And I'd say he's STILL faster than more than half those guys...

SteelerEmpire
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Willie did plenty of running around the end. He played the majority of his career with the best pulling guard (Faneca) and best blocking WR (Hines) in the NFL and I don't agree that he wasn't utilized correctly. Actually, I feel sometimes that he went to the well one too many times trying to bounce a play outside. That's where his obvious strenth is and he was very good at what he did. You have to do some inside running to set up the sweeps and screens and he did that pretty well too (75-yard run in SB XL.) Fact is, he's an undersized back who relies heavily on his speed due to lack of size. Once he lost that step after breaking his leg, Steelers traded Faneca and O-Line went to hell in a handbasket, Parker's days here were pretty much numbered. He's had a hell of a career here for an undrafted RB.

Being a smaller RB (as compared with the larger ones) with the ingredient of running him inside too much probably helped him get where he is today... plagued with injuries... his strength was definitely outside running, like ALL the smaller, speed backs in the history of the game... But there have been smaller.... I believe Tony Dorsett was only 190 lbs and stood 5'11...

DoubleYoi
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
One thing I've never understood is why Parker was always considered undersized. Maybe it has something to do with the inevitable "Da Bus" comparisons.

The fact is, Parker is probably about average at his 210 lbs. If you look at the top 10 rushers last year, they are:
Johnson: 5'11" 200
Jackson : 6'2" 236 (biggest on the list)
Jones: 5'10" 212
Jones-Drew: 5'7" 208
Peterson: 6'1" 217
Rice: 5'8" 210
Grant: 6'1" 222
Benson: 5'11" 225
Stewart: 5'10" 235

And I'd say he's STILL faster than more than half those guys...

Not necessarily because of his predecessor but I think he has a relatively small frame for a RB. By no means is he freakishly small for an NFL player (ie. Darren Sproles) but he's definitely on the small side for a pro RB. I think the fact that he didn't start in college and was not drafted by an NFL team speaks volumes about his size. With the speed he has there would be 30 teams chomping at the bit to draft him if he were at their desired height and weight.

I agree though. Still faster than the majority of the guys on that list.

steel striker
01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Well good luck Willie and, to me he has been a good player. I still think he can be a productive back and, time will tell. Like most Willie has a trouble staying healthy and, he has not been the same since he broke his leg against the Rams.

stlrz fan
01-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I respect his approach to this. Whether he can or can't start somewhere in the future is debatable, I'm just glad to not hear the same old I'm insulted by my offer and a player of my caliber deserves this much (Jeff Reed). If he goes after this season he goes out on good terms.

Edman
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
You want to be the Starter Willie?

Well man it was nice knowing you.

steelreserve
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

It's not that we didn't try. It's that Parker was so one-dimensional that it was easy for any good defense to shut that down too.

Beyond the distinction of lumbering/non-lumbering, speed doesn't really matter at all for the RB position. Even a back with average speed for the position is capable of breaking the big runs just as much as Parker, and of getting to the outside just as quickly as Parker. A tenth of a second in the 40-yard dash is not going to make any difference at all in that respect. It's MUCH more important to do things like be aggressive, keep moving FORWARD, and basically try to make yourself difficult to bring down. Parker did none of that -- he was tentative, he danced around in the backfield instead of attacking, and he could get arm-tackled and ankle-tackled with the best of them. For the WHOLE TIME he was here, not just the last two years. It's just that having an offensive line stocked with Pro Bowlers at the start of his career helped compensate for his weaknesses. Probably any decent back in the league could've done as well, and probably contributed more in other areas too.

LVSteelersfan
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Early in the season, Willie looked pretty much like he did last year. He never hit the holes but jumped around back there until he got tackled behind the LOS more often than not. Mendenhall hits the holes when they are there. That is what you have to do to be a starting RB in the NFL. Parker looked a little better toward the end of the season but that might have been because he was watching Mendenhall actually run through holes that the line made for him. I just don't think he can be a starter anywhere unless they have an offensive line that can bust open huge holes for him.

Need4Sweed
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
"I Want To Be The Starter" ...o.k., bye bye Willie.

stb_steeler
01-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Nuff said.......:wave:

BlockMonsta
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Good for him, thats the attitude he should have. Best of luck to him where ever he lands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsGQjIpoW0

JEFF4i
01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Good for him, thats the attitude he should have. Best of luck to him where ever he lands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsGQjIpoW0

How did I know that was going to be to Lux Aeterna when I saw the video length? Freakin psychic man.

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Yep, sounds like he already gave up on coming back.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for everything you gave us Willie! Now good luck with your next team. Rashard is now our starter. I just don't see FWP being a starter anymore.

JEFF4i
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
The running game is changing. Sure CJ is starter for the Titans, but look at him, and look at what else they have?

Whereas we have Jones and Barber doing fine as a duo, why can't we have that with Mendy and Willie?

SteelC7
02-04-2010, 03:02 AM
i loved willie parker, now wat am i gonna do with his jersey?!?!?!?! always will be a steeler, even franco went to the sea****s b4 he hung it up

ayyfour
02-04-2010, 07:16 AM
bye-bye willie.. cya as the backup somewhere!

SteelersinCA
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I, for one, and glad Willie wants to be the starter. Who wants a guy that says, "nah dude I'm cool riding the bench?" He'll shop around, I don't see him being the starter anywhere. If he's not the start I damn sure want him to work like he wants to be.

SteelersMongol
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Still like this man, but Mendy is better. It will B sad 2 C him starting somewhere.