PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Might Re-Sign Hampton, Clark?

SteelC7
01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Jason La Canfora (NFL.com)
Steelers expected to re-sign DT Hampton, S Clark
Posted: January 27th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Clark, Tyrone Carter

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made retaining DT Casey Hampton and S Ryan Clark an offseason priority and neither player is expected to hit the open market, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. This yearís free-agent class is already shaping up to be thin due to the absence of a CBA extension at this point, and the best prospects will be further limited as teams negotiate new deals with key free agents between now and March.

The Steelers began exploratory talks with Clark before the season, and it would be very surprising if they did not come to a deal in the coming weeks. Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year. In the mean time, the team is likely to let another free agent safety, Tyrone Carter, hit the market.

Hamptonís weight issues have given the team concern at times, but he again was an anchor on defense in 2009. Given Hamptonís age ó he will be playing his 10th season in 2010 ó and the possibility the sides cannot agree on a long-term deal, the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

Also, if there is no new CBA, clubs can utilize an extra franchise designation in 2010, another tool that would restrict the quantity and quality of players to hit the market

O, and u geniuses that say canforas not dependable, ur an idiot, so dont bother posting that if u check this outm just be happy were keeping hampton

groundhogday
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm positive Hampton will be a Steeler next year (Franchise Tag if deal is not reached). I wouldn't mind seeing Clark back but he got exposed alot this year in the absence of Troy. With Troy though, they made a great Yin and Yang out there. If Clark is back, I doubt we go Safety in the draft.

steelreserve
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
O, and u geniuses that say canforas not dependable, ur an idiot, so dont bother posting that if u check this outm just be happy were keeping hampton

While I agree with the article and would be glad to have both of those guys back ... what the hell is this? Is it even English?

HometownGal
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Huh? Antway otay nockkay tiay fofay ithway hetay amenay-allingcay?

As for the meat of the article, I won't be at all surprised to hear that the Steelers have tagged Big Snack if they can't come to mutually agreeable contract terms.

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Both make total sense, we'll see how the money plays out though.

Plus, Field Goal kicker is kind of need after watching the nonsense in the playoff this year. Just if ours could keep himself sober long enough to make a kick in Chicago, that would be something to talk about.

mulldog24
01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
This is great news! I was hoping that the FO would make these 2 guys a priority, now they can go into the draft without their hands tied to certain needs.

Chidi29
01-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Jason La Canfora (NFL.com)
the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

The funny thing is that Hampton was said repeatedly before and after the season that the team is not going to franchise him and that he's been promised that will not occur.

Who knows if that will actually happen, but I ask my fellow Steelers fans this...

If we decide not to franchise him, would you re-sign him? Bear in mine financial costs, not just talent.

Psyychoward86
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year.

:rofl:

someone's been looking at the stat sheets a little too much

steelerdave1969
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM

I have to agree here Psycho. I think the Steelers would be thrilled to get these 2 guys signed and return Troy to our secondary and our defense will be in pretty good shape. I think that the Steelers should pay attention to the newest Michigan LB coming out this year that is killing everyone at the Senior Bowl so far. The guy could team up with Woodley to for a very formidable duo in the next season or two at the most cuz I think that Harrison has shown signs this past season that maybe he is starting to show a little signs of slowing down maybe.

mesaSteeler
01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a huge decision to make this offseason with Pro Bowl nose tackle and pending free agent Casey Hampton.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Should the Steelers give Hampton, 32, a long-term contract? Pittsburgh also could let Hampton go into free agency or give him a one-year franchise tag, which would make him one of the NFL's highest-paid nose tackles in 2010.

Here is analysis on the situation from Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson:

“I think Hampton will get franchised for a couple reasons. First off, the Steelers should view themselves as a contender. They're not a rebuilding team. They didn't make the playoffs, but they won the Super Bowl a year ago. They're still very good, and you can't afford to break in a new nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. It's such a position in demand, and it's so important for that scheme that you can't just roll the dice and hope to get a rookie in there. There isn't somebody on the roster who is his heir apparent. Ideally, that would be a great thing to pick up on draft day this year and groom him for a year while Hampton is franchised and will become a free agent again .... So you either let him walk and take your chances at an extremely difficult position to replace. Or you keep Hampton, probably address other needs, take a shot at the title again and worry about it a year from now. That's the approach I think they'll take, and I think that's a smart move.”

SteelC7
01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
While I agree with the article and would be glad to have both of those guys back ... what the hell is this? Is it even English?

o ya its english, i was busy and typing fast, but how is this for english...why do you not focus on what i was trying to say in the article instead of looking for something stupid to comment on, but then again that would make you somewhat intelligent, which i can tell you are not :flap:

SteelerFanInStl
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM

:toofunny: Yea, I got a kick out of that too.

OneForTheToe
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Remove the name Wilfork and insert the name "Big Snack." Casey is a better player, so I am sure he feels the same way. The only thing Wilfork has going for him is he is a few years younger.

Wilfork: Pats haven't called about deal

[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK," Wilfork said. "But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

full article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4863296

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM

:tap:.....

:huh:......

:hunch:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Remove the name Wilfork and insert the name "Big Snack." Casey is a better player, so I am sure he feels the same way. The only thing Wilfork has going for him is he is a few years younger.

Wilfork: Pats haven't called about deal

full article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4863296

The difference is that the Patriots drafted Myron Pryor NT-Kentucky last year in the 6th round and he can probably be the replacement. The Steelers did nothing to address NT last season and will either need to sign Hampton or draft a NT at #18.

steelreserve
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
If we decide not to franchise him, would you re-sign him? Bear in mine financial costs, not just talent.

Yes, I definitely would. They say he "only" made $3 million this year, but that was only salary -- his cap number was more like $5 or $6 million. Which is what the franchise tag would cost, and what the highest-paid DTs earn. So we have the money without really affecting our cap at all. If there even is a cap.

Seems kind of like a no-brainer, considering our other options are to either a) Sign a free agent for even more, b) start a rookie at NT, or c) try to make it through the season with some half-assed patchwork of Hoke and Hood.

SteelGhost
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
If there's no 2011 season, tagging Big Snack is good move for him and the team IMHO :noidea:, but he said he does not want to be tagged, so this whole deal is in suspense.

steelreserve
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK," Wilfork said. "But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

Is it just me, or does it seem like nose tackles have a bigger ego and are more hung up on money and respe'c than just about any other position in the league? Only the diva receivers are worse.

revefsreleets
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
If this WAS NOT a business first, I'd say we would not franchise him. But it makes little sense to sign a 32 year old NT to a 5 or even 6 year deal (which is what he'll want). We really just don't do that kind of thing, unless it's on the cheap, and does anyone think Hampton is going to take a serious hometown reduction?

I like signing Clark a lot. I think that makes sense all the way around. I don't like signing Hampton for more than 3 years, and I know he's going to want that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
If this WAS NOT a business first, I'd say we would not franchise him. But it makes little sense to sign a 32 year old NT to a 5 or even 6 year deal (which is what he'll want). We really just don't do that kind of thing, unless it's on the cheap, and does anyone think Hampton is going to take a serious hometown reduction?

I like signing Clark a lot. I think that makes sense all the way around. I don't like signing Hampton for more than 3 years, and I know he's going to want that.

I agree on every count. A three year deal would be PERFECT. Draft Troup in the 3rd round and let him learn behind Big Snack.

steeltheone
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
We cant handle anymore 33 year old defensive starters, that make big bucks.

Chidi29
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like nose tackles have a bigger ego and are more hung up on money and respe'c than just about any other position in the league? Only the diva receivers are worse.

No player likes getting the franchise tag.

Chidi29
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes, I definitely would. They say he "only" made $3 million this year, but that was only salary -- his cap number was more like $5 or $6 million. Which is what the franchise tag would cost, and what the highest-paid DTs earn. So we have the money without really affecting our cap at all. If there even is a cap.

Seems kind of like a no-brainer, considering our other options are to either a) Sign a free agent for even more, b) start a rookie at NT, or c) try to make it through the season with some half-assed patchwork of Hoke and Hood.

The question was not an issue of whether or not to extend him or franchise him; it was a question of whether to extend him or let him walk altogether.

I simply couldn't shell out the money for the guy. He has ALL the leverage. What can we possibly say to turn the discussions our direction?

That we can survive without him? With what exactly on our roster?

That he won't get that money elsewhere? Of course he will. For starters, it's the free agent market in 2010. Secondly, more and more teams are switching to the 3-4. A team like Kansas City or Denver would love to have a guy like Hampton.

That he isn't valuable? Of course he is and has been.

You know Hampton wants that one last big deal. He's obviously on the decline; if he signs a short deal now, by the time that's up, he'll probably be washed up. This is his only chance. He'd be stupid not to take advantage of it.

Of course, if you cave and give him a big deal with a lot of guaranteed money, he's going to coast. The guy has already shown he has had work ethic issues in the past. What makes anyone think it'll be different now? He knows that whatever teams invests $15-20 million in guaranteed to him will be held hostage.

Our screwups of not addressing the NT position in anticpation of this does not mean that we should screw up even more and become fisically stupid.

Steel-Bryan
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I say we give Clark a 2 or 3 yr deal, and Franchise Casey.

OneForTheToe
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Maybe because these NTs know how important they are to their respective defenses. Plus, for these 3-4 Nts it is easy to compare yourself against guys from other teams, since it is such a mano a mano position.

I agree on every count. A three year deal would be PERFECT. Draft Troup in the 3rd round and let him learn behind Big Snack.

They could structure a 5 year deal that really pays Hampton 6 or 7 million over three years and the rest just disappears after he is cut. Of course, if there is a cap you might have to eat some of those last two years. In addition, Casey might want more guaranteed money.

The FO has a very tough decision. Either way there are going to be pit falls.

steelreserve
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
No player likes getting the franchise tag.

except Max Starks.

steelreserve
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
The question was not an issue of whether or not to extend him or franchise him; it was a question of whether to extend him or let him walk altogether.

I simply couldn't shell out the money for the guy. He has ALL the leverage. What can we possibly say to turn the discussions our direction?

That we'll use the franchise tag. We're stupid if we don't at least SAY it.

Of course, if you cave and give him a big deal with a lot of guaranteed money, he's going to coast. The guy has already shown he has had work ethic issues in the past. What makes anyone think it'll be different now? He knows that whatever teams invests $15-20 million in guaranteed to him will be held hostage.

Our screwups of not addressing the NT position in anticpation of this does not mean that we should screw up even more and become fisically stupid.

Again, both problems that could be solved faster than you can say "rocks and blocks" with the franchise tag. He ought to be glad I'm not running the team, because if he and his agent didn't take that possibility HEAVILY into consideration in negotiating a new (cap-friendly) deal, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the tag. Not for a half-second. If it was even worth starting negotiations at all.

Sorry if you don't like it Casey, but those are the rules of the league, you're already well-paid, and I don't see why you should get an exemption because of your ego.

LVSteelersfan
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Casey needs to be franchised. Plain and simple. He will make almost twice as much as he did last year with a franchise tag. What's the big deal? He is not worth signing to a long term contract. He is already a player who can't play every down. Why pay him huge bucks over multiple years when we have so many other positions to deal with? I am extremely concerned that they might let Woodley get away the following season. He is much more valuable than Casey "can't pass up a Twinkie" Hampton.

Chidi29
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging:

That is not what I asked.

I asked what should we do in the event that we decide against putting the tag on him. Who knows if we'll actually prove to be good on our word, but Hampton has been adament that he won't be tagged and that people in the organzation have promised that he won't get the tag.

steelreserve
01-29-2010, 07:22 PM

I asked what should we do in the event that we decide against putting the tag on him. Who knows if we'll actually prove to be good on our word, but Hampton has been adament that he won't be tagged and that people in the organzation have promised that he won't get the tag.

What we should do if we decide against putting the tag on him ... is have someone really strong come over, brace himself against something sturdy, and yank hard enough that our head comes out of our ass and we put the franchise tag on Hampton.

If we really insist on not using the tag, we still threaten to use it until he backs off of any of the really stupid demands.

If we refuse to do that, I guess we take advantage of the capless year to give him a frontloaded deal.

If we can't even do that and just let him walk, I guess we either have someone else lined up, or we're just not that serious about winning the Super Bowl again.

edit: also, :banging: :banging: :banging:

that seems to be in style around here.

Prok
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Me personally? I do everything under my power to make sure Mt. Cody is in black n gold next year.

Reality? The team will look for someone more affordable to fill in and take BPA at #18.

markymarc
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I still say that Hampton will get franchised and then we will pick up his replacement in the draft in the mid rounds. I actually think resigning Ryan Clark will be a little more tricky. I was listening to the Pittsburgh shows last week on ESPN 1250. Most of them were saying that Ryan wants to be paid like a top safety and earn at least 5M a year.

While all this talk is purely speculation, if that is the case I just don't see the Steelers resigning Clark. There is no way they are going to pay both of their starting safeties that much money IMO. Now if we can get Ryan cheap then sign him and draft Earl Thomas at 1.18!