PDA

View Full Version : The Five Senior Bowl Prospects the Pittsburgh Steelers Should Be Targeting

mesaSteeler
01-27-2010, 04:22 PM
The Five Senior Bowl Prospects the Pittsburgh Steelers Should Be Targeting
Brian Carson
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/333710-the-five-senior-bowl-prospects-the-steelers-should-be-targeting
Written on January 27, 2010

ATLANTA - DECEMBER 05: Terrence Cody #62 of the Alabama Crimson Tide celebrates after their 32-13 win over the Florida Gators in the SEC Championship at Georgia Dome on December 5, 2009 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

A disappointing regular season is still fresh in the minds of the Pittsburgh Steelers organization.

Since there isn't an offseason anymore, the focus has turned to recapturing the Super Bowl swagger Pittsburgh carried into the beginning of last season.

The front office wants more running, the coaching staff was purged, and a sense of urgency has enveloped a franchise where the players are getting older by the minute.

The meat market time known as free agency and the draft begins in earnest with the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. The game is Saturday, Jan. 30, but the real game is going on right now.

All 32 NFL teams have sent a delegation that includes coaches, scouts, and even owners, to watch and evaluate the top senior talent in the nation all this week. Of course, the real poking, prodding, and testing will be at the NFL Combine next month, but the Senior Bowl is where the evaluating period begins.

With that in mind, here's a look at five players, in no particular order, the Steelers should be targeting, or at least taking notice of, in Mobile. USC safety Taylor Mays is not on this list because he'll be gone before Pittsburgh picks at No. 18, and I'll talk about Florida QB Tim Tebow in another article.

Sean Weatherspoon - OLB - Missouri

Weatherspoon has been all over the field in practice and his draft stock is rising quickly, in part because of his versatility. The 6'2", 250-pounder has the size to play inside and the speed and agility to go outside as well.

He led the Big 12 Conference in tackles (11 per game), as well as being a Butkus Award Finalist and unanimous first team All-Big 12 selection. His 155 tackles this season was the second most in Missouri history. He was also a four-year starter for the Tigers.

He's a high motor guy who plays sideline-to-sideline. His three interceptions and team-leading seven pass breakups shows he can play the pass as equally effective as the run.

The Steelers are getting old at linebacker. James Farrior is 35, James Harrison is 32, and Lawrence Timmons can't stay healthy. A guy like Weatherspoon would be the perfect fit for Dick LeBeau's defense.

Dexter McCluster - RB - Ole Miss

McCluster is another player whose stock is rising because of his versatility. He's been used in practice this week at wide receiver and, by all accounts, has performed very well.

He proved he wasn't one-dimensional in 2009 by rushing for 655 yards and catching 44 passes for 625 yards, with a combined total of seven touchdowns, for the Rebels.

The negatives are his size (5'8", 165 pounds) and the ability to stay healthy for a full NFL season.

The Steelers will most likely part ways with Willie Parker, who wants to be a starter, and McCluster could be a dangerous threat out of the backfield. Pittsburgh already has a capable third down back in Mewelde Moore, but McCluster would be a nice change of pace for the bruising Rashard Mendenhall.

Mike Iupati - G - Idaho

The Steelers need offensive linemen. Boy, do they need them bad.

Pittsburgh's offensive line gave up 50 sacks last season, after surrendering 58 the previous year. This can't continue or they'll be taking Ben Roethlisberger off the field in a body bag.

Iupati is the best guard in the draft and could be had in the second or third round.

Iupati was tackle in college, but will be moved to guard in the pros. He has the size (6'5", 325 pounds) and attitude needed at the next level. By all reports, he's been a beast in Senior Bowl practices, particularly run blocking.

He will need some work on his pass blocking to make it at the next level. Iupati was never in a three-point stance in college because the Vandals ran the spread.

If the Steelers can get him in the second or third round, they should pull the trigger and get some help for a very disappointing offensive line.

Kyle Wilson - CB - Boise State

The Steelers' secondary was woefully inadequate in 2009.

Losing Troy Polamalu had a lot to do with it, but all of the secondary, especially the corners, underperformed last season. That's why the front office and coaching staff should look long and hard at this Boise State product.

Wilson was a four-year starter for the Broncos, so he knows how to play in big games. The 5'10", 186-pounder has been the class of his position in practice, defending everything thrown his way.

He rolled up impressive numbers during his senior campaign (five interceptions, 10 pass breakups, and 15 passes defended) on his way to All-WAC honors. In addition, his 14.2 yards per punt return was the best in the conference.

Are you listening, Mike Tomlin?

Terrence Cody - DT - Alabama

Casey Hampton is a free agent and, even if the Steelers bring him back, he'll be 33 starting next season, so it's time to begin looking for his replacement.

Enter "Mount Cody."

We all know his exploits with the Crimson Tide: A first-team All-SEC selection by the Associated Press and league coaches, a consensus first-team All-American who anchored the No. 2 rush defense (74.1 yards per game) and the No. 3 total defense (263.5 yards per game) in the country, and a Chuck Bednarik Award semifinalist.

Cody (6'4", 370) is a space eater, sometimes taking on two or even three blockers at a time. Remind you of anyone in particular?

There are questions about his weight and how many plays he can be in, but there is no doubt about his ability to disrupt an offense. He has been a star at the Senior Bowl practices and would be a nice fit at nose for the Steelers.

The scouts are saying the same things about Cody they said of Hampton when he came out.

How did that turn out for the Steelers?

jonslow
01-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Wilson really has been the best corner here this week. Scouts all around me during practices were raving about his coverage abilities and speed.

Weatherspoon is a fun guy to watch. He is so vocal and intense during practices and seems like a really likeable guy. I talked to him after practice about an interview so if that goes down, I'll keep you guys posted.

We have an interview with McCluster posted on www.sidelinescouting.net if you guys want to check that out. He's also very personable and has looked great this week. Excellent route runner out of the backfield...

Mike Iupati has been blogged about extensively by myslef and my colleagues this week. Our observations of him at practice are also on the site. Two humbs up for Iupati.

Terrence Cody has been a topic of debate this week. He looks flabby, but has shown up at practice and made some plays. He's a big object and has been running through offensive lineman. My only question is how long he can stay on the field without getting tired. We'll find that out more during the game Saturday.

I really like Weatherspoon, Iupati and Wilson. I started a thread about Tomlin attending these practices that might be helpful in figuring out who the Steelers may be targeting.

Galax Steeler
01-28-2010, 05:39 AM
The Five Senior Bowl Prospects the Pittsburgh Steelers Should Be Targeting

Mike Iupati - G - Idaho

The Steelers need offensive linemen. Boy, do they need them bad.

Pittsburgh's offensive line gave up 50 sacks last season, after surrendering 58 the previous year. This can't continue or they'll be taking Ben Roethlisberger off the field in a body bag.

Iupati is the best guard in the draft and could be had in the second or third round.

Iupati was tackle in college, but will be moved to guard in the pros. He has the size (6'5", 325 pounds) and attitude needed at the next level. By all reports, he's been a beast in Senior Bowl practices, particularly run blocking.

He will need some work on his pass blocking to make it at the next level. Iupati was never in a three-point stance in college because the Vandals ran the spread.

If the Steelers can get him in the second or third round, they should pull the trigger and get some help for a very disappointing offensive line.

How in the world to they figure Lupati will fall to the second or third round:doh: I can't help but figure he will go top 20 in the first round but there is no way he falls out of the 1st.

supa_fly_steeler
01-28-2010, 06:10 AM
i like kyle wilson but i like earl thomas more.

i wouldnt mind the addition of sean weatherspoon to our team

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
How in the world to they figure Lupati will fall to the second or third round:doh: I can't help but figure he will go top 20 in the first round but there is no way he falls out of the 1st.

I think Houston could take him in the first round.

Texasteel
01-28-2010, 07:37 AM
i like kyle wilson but i like earl thomas more.

i wouldnt mind the addition of sean weatherspoon to our team

I'm starting to get that feeling about Weatherspoon. The same one I had when we took Timmons.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Yeah they are even talking about him down here in San Antonio Texas about how good he is and they hope he falls to the cowboys. From what I am hearing this guy doesn't make it outta the 1st round.

jonslow
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah they are even talking about him down here in San Antonio Texas about how good he is and they hope he falls to the cowboys. From what I am hearing this guy doesn't make it outta the 1st round.

There's every indication here in Mobile that he'll go in the first round, and most scouts are aniticipating him going in the top two thirds of the first. I even heard someone say that he could go as high as #18 to our very own Steelers, although I'm convinced after a great week of practice that he could go even before that-- possibly to San Fransisco with their second first round pick

revefsreleets
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Iupati is looking more and more like he's going top 5 now...the reports are that scouts are literally drooling over his abilities and that he can play any position on the OL. If this kid is that talented and versatile, he's going to go fast.

Scratch another off the list of "available at 18"...then again, as stock rises and falls based on college all-star games, the combine, etc, perhaps one of these kids WILL end up sliding to us?

taztroy43
01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
There's every indication here in Mobile that he'll go in the first round, and most scouts are aniticipating him going in the top two thirds of the first. I even heard someone say that he could go as high as #18 to our very own Steelers, although I'm convinced after a great week of practice that he could go even before that-- possibly to San Fransisco with their second first round pick

Dang...so Lupati's stock went up that high.....so you honestly think he'll get drafted by the time that the Steelers pick @ 18???....If he's Lupati and Earl Thomas is gone...then who might we be targeting????

Another thing I've been reading is nothing but good reports on CB Kyle Wilson out of Boise State...I had the chance to watch him play and the guy was a playmaker @ both the return game and as a CB....Do you think the Steelers might have a chance to draft him in the 2nd round....or do u think the Steelers might trade down a couple of picks(get extra draft picks) and then draft him in the first....I know its kind of a reach for Wilson...but from what I've been hearing lately, he probably is a late 1st to early 2nd round pick....Can anyone confirm that???

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Exactly!! :doh: and the fact the guy that wrote the article is also pimping McCluster, Cody and Witherspoon makes me think he did his research by reading Steelersfever. Was the author named Chidi29???

jonslow
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Dang...so Lupati's stock went up that high.....so you honestly think he'll get drafted by the time that the Steelers pick @ 18???....If he's Lupati and Earl Thomas is gone...then who might we be targeting????

Another thing I've been reading is nothing but good reports on CB Kyle Wilson out of Boise State...I had the chance to watch him play and the guy was a playmaker @ both the return game and as a CB....Do you think the Steelers might have a chance to draft him in the 2nd round....or do u think the Steelers might trade down a couple of picks(get extra draft picks) and then draft him in the first....I know its kind of a reach for Wilson...but from what I've been hearing lately, he probably is a late 1st to early 2nd round pick....Can anyone confirm that???

Iupati's stock has definitely risen. He's really show a lot of talent and a good work ethic. However, he looked a little sloppy when practicing at tackle and a lot of scouts think he'll strictly play guard, but at an elite level.

Wilson has been stellar this week at practice. Every day I've heard scouts mumbling about how good he's been. Mike Tomlin was watching him at practice yesterday in DB/WR drills. I'd love to see him end up in Steelers colors. I think he'll end up being a second-round pick, but I don't know where. I doubt he jumps into the first, though.

taztroy43
01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Iupati's stock has definitely risen. He's really show a lot of talent and a good work ethic. However, he looked a little sloppy when practicing at tackle and a lot of scouts think he'll strictly play guard, but at an elite level.

Wilson has been stellar this week at practice. Every day I've heard scouts mumbling about how good he's been. Mike Tomlin was watching him at practice yesterday in DB/WR drills. I'd love to see him end up in Steelers colors. I think he'll end up being a second-round pick, but I don't know where. I doubt he jumps into the first, though.

Thanks for the insight jonslow:thumbsup:...I just find it funny that Tomlin is paying attention to CB Wilson and TE Dickerson.....I hope the Steelers pick both of those guys come draft day....they look like solid picks if you ask me....:noidea:

Northside Jonny
01-28-2010, 07:45 PM
It's Iupati with an I not an L

Chidi29
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Exactly!! :doh: and the fact the guy that wrote the article is also pimping McCluster, Cody and Witherspoon makes me think he did his research by reading Steelersfever. Was the author named Chidi29???

Are you asking if I wrote the article? If so, I did not.

St33lersguy
01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Why do we need to target a RB, we don't need one, we need to go defense. Not like a 2nd RB will get used anyway, Airhead Arians hardly uses Mendy.

Steeldude
01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
it's iupati :smile:

BKAnthem
01-29-2010, 03:06 AM
O line, Linbacker, D line and secondary are definite needs. I hope the Steelers Address them, I wasn't a big fan of last years draft....Only Wallace made and impact...Hood was Decent, the 2 corners did nothing, Urbick couldn't beat out an undrafted free agent....

steelerdave1969
01-29-2010, 09:53 AM
If Mike Iupati lasts til the 2nd round I will run for president in the next election... :chuckle:
The DB Kyle Wilson has looked great. I have Tvoed all the practices and watched them over and over and I think the guy looks as if he has awesome ballhawking skills, if he can catch the ball the guy has a very brite future ahead of him. ILB Daryl Washington from TCU at 6'3 234 lbs has really looked great as well. The guy is a monster and has the numbers to back it up. The Defensive Coordinator had nothing but great things to say about the guys work ethic as well.. sounds like he would be a great pickup to backup James Farrior and replace him maybe after next season.

taztroy43
02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
It's Iupati with an I not an L

You're right for some reason I was pernouncing it Lupati...lol...:doh:.....it is Iupati....

pcriss2003
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I saw one play that I focused on "Mount Cody" where he went to the ground on the snap, stood straight up and looked over his shoulder to see short pass to the right and just watched while the center and guard basically just took the play off. I believe the play was late in the first half when Cody was obviously fatigued.

I hate to draft a NT and get the same problems of poor conditioning in a rookie player that Casey has as a veteren at the end of his career.

I see OL and CB as the best value at pick # 18.

I think the 2ndary will be very good at all levels with Palu and average at best without him no matter if we have a rookie CB.

I say go with OL and best value at # 18