PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Reed could be the franchise

mesaSteeler
01-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Bires: Reed could be the franchise
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/january/28/bires-reed-could-be-the-franchise.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Thursday January 28, 2010 12:01 AM

Whether he remains a Steeler, Jeff Reed figures to make a ton of money in the not-too-distant future.

Several teams will enter free agency in March looking for a clutch kicker like Reed, who is one of the Steelersí potential unrestricted free agents.

Reed was miffed before the 2009 season started because the Steelers low-balled him with a contract extension. Reed turned down the offer, basically insinuating it was an insult. He also said he would eventually get what he deserves, whether the big bucks come from the Steelers or from another NFL team.

Itís true that Reed doesnít boot the ball long on kickoffs. But for the most part, heís been outstanding when asked to kick field goals. Heís been 27 of 31 in each of the past two regular seasons, which puts him on par statistically with two kickers who cashed in with huge contracts in 2008.

Chicagoís Robbie Gould got a five-year, $15.5 million deal that included a $4.5 million signing bonus. St. Louisí Josh Brown got $14.2 million over five years with a $4 million signing bonus.

In the past two years, Gould is 50 of 57 in field goals, Reed 54 of 62 and Brown 50 of 60.

There is no way the Steelers will pay Reed the kind of money that Gould and Brown got, but thereís nothing keeping the Steelers from putting a franchise or transition tag on Reed.
Advertisement Greek Catholic Union

A franchise player is restricted from entering free agency but is paid the average salary of the top-five players at his position. A transition tag pays the player the average salary of the top-10 players at his position.

Each team is allowed two franchise players this year. Thereís a chance the Steelers could make nose tackle Casey Hampton a franchise player. Reed could also be tagged.

The average salary of the top five kickers in 2009 was $2.483 million. The average salary of the top 10 kickers was $2.264.

In 2005, Reed signed a five-year contact that included a $1.5 million signing bonus. His base salary this season was $1.375 million.

If the Steelers donít re-sign him to a new contract or tag him, there are some teams that will bid for Reedís services.

After Nate Kaedingís 0-for-3 performance in San Diegoís playoff loss to the New York Jets two weeks ago, the need for clutch kickers became a national story.

In Reed, the Steelers have a clutch kicker. He has yet to miss a field goal in the playoffs. Heís a perfect 21-of-21.

Now itís a matter of who will pay Reed the most for his accuracy in the clutch.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mires@timesonline.com.

zulater
01-28-2010, 06:24 AM
In Reed, the Steelers have a clutch kicker. He has yet to miss a field goal in the playoffs. He’s a perfect 21-of-21.

Needs to get his facts straight, Reed missed a couple playoff fg's in 2002. But is perfect since.

T&B fan
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
In Reed, the Steelers have a clutch kicker. He has yet to miss a field goal in the playoffs. Heís a perfect 21-of-21.

Needs to get his facts straight, Reed missed a couple playoff fg's in 2002. But is perfect since.

facts who needs them its better when you can pull #s out of the air that work for us ... fact cheeking is a long lost art .

steelreserve
01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Given the number of other kickers we've been looking at, this seems highly unlikely to me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Given the number of other kickers we've been looking at, this seems highly unlikely to me.

I agree. Depending on the compensatory picks we get, I think its possible the Steelers decide to invest a 4th-5th round pick on a kicker and save themselves $3million a season.

They will then give that $3mil to any one of Clark, Hampton, Colon....or use it to extend the contracts of Woodley or Holmes.

SteelGhost
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
...or they can take a look at Piotr Czech's skills, maybe he can do well :noidea:

AllD
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
...or they can take a look at Piotr Czech's skills, maybe he can do well :noidea:

Czech has a strong leg, but is inaccurate past 40 yards. He is not a playoff caliber kicker, possibly not even good enough to be in the NFL.

Psyychoward86
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
If we let him wander into the Free Agent abyss, i'll say he's a goner

markymarc
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
While I would love to get Jeff Reed back, I would not be surprised if they let him walk. And if they do draft a kicker in the mid to late rounds I sure hope he can kick the football into the end zone on most kickoffs. Then he will just have to learn how to kick at Heinz Field on FG attempts.

steelpride12
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
There will be many other clutch kickers in FA and as much as I would love to see Reed get this, I don't see it.

rich4eagle
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
If Reed never kicks off again..................keep him............if he does cut him tomorrow a great liability he is in a seven point play no matter how good his 3 point play is

HometownGal
02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
While I would love to get Jeff Reed back, I would not be surprised if they let him walk. And if they do draft a kicker in the mid to late rounds I sure hope he can kick the football into the end zone on most kickoffs. Then he will just have to learn how to kick at Heinz Field on FG attempts.

I think the Steelers will make a valiant effort to keep Skippy and I sure as hell hope they do. It's not like Reed never kicks the pigskin in the EZ or behind the 10 YL - he's just not as consistent as a couple of other PK's in the league (and there are really very few who do it on a consistent basis). I think our ST's really need to learn how to make tackles, finish 'em off or take a hike, quite honestly.

A drafted PK will "just have to learn how to kick at Heinz Field on FG attempts"? :jawdrop: I'll remember you said that when the game is on the line - possibly a playoff game - and our new Boy Wonder flubs the clutcher. :shake02: Jeff Reed may miss a FG a couple of times per season, but there is no PK currently out there who I would want more in the black 'n gold with the game - and most importantly a playoff game - on the line.

tony hipchest
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
with the most dynamic offense the steelers have ever seen and bruce arians genius, a game should never come down to a fg kick.

offer reed $1.875 mil/year. if he doesnt accept.... adios :wave:

okay... maybe a 4 year deal worth $9.5 mil (still a lowball offer, but he may want one or 2 more rings as opposed to an extra 3-4 mil- personally i'd take the money elsewhere).

Texasteel
02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I really hope we can keep Reed. He is normally very reliable, and a valuable part of the team. I think we saw in the playoff what a dependable FG kicker is worth.

X-Terminator
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
with the most dynamic offense the steelers have ever seen and bruce arians genius, a game should never come down to a fg kick.

offer reed $1.875 mil/year. if he doesnt accept.... adios :wave:

okay... maybe a 4 year deal worth $9.5 mil (still a lowball offer, but he may want one or 2 more rings as opposed to an extra 3-4 mil- personally i'd take the money elsewhere).

It does if your defense can't stop anyone. :noidea:

Anyway, that's a fair deal...maybe even $10 million over those 4 years with a decent signing bonus. Whatever needs to be done to keep him around.

tony hipchest
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
It does if your defense can't stop anyone. :noidea:

hate the defense much? how quickly fans forget 2008. i guess we are pissing money into the wind with guys like polamalu, smith, and pro bowlers such as harrison, woodley, and hampton.

it makes me beg for a complete makeover when our weakest links are a first year starter named gay, and a previous pro bowler named farrior. :noidea:

fire lebeau! he no longer knows how to adjust.

:coffee:

btw... our defense had no problem stopping the vikings and chargers (2 high scoring teams many had favored to reach the superbowl).

i would say they are someone.

jjpro11
02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
there are very few guys in the NFL that consistently kick the ball to the end zone.. you don't measure the importance of a field goal kicker by how far he kicks the ball off.. you measure him by his ability to kick field goals. kickoffs are nothing more than a bonus.

Galax Steeler
02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
I wish Reed could kick it a little deeper on kickoffs but he can't so I will settle for his accuracy on field goals. He is a very clutch kicker when called upon to make a game winning field goal. I don't want break the bank on him but would like for him to stay around for a while.

steelpride12
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I wish Reed could kick it a little deeper on kickoffs but he can't so I will settle for his accuracy on field goals. He is a very clutch kicker when called upon to make a game winning field goal. I don't want break the bank on him but would like for him to stay around for a while.

Agreed. He is clutch and his percentage in the playoffs and late in games in gaudy, but truly a shame the average starting field position for the opponents is the 30 because of the poor depth of his kickoffs.

HometownGal
02-03-2010, 08:53 AM
but truly a shame the average starting field position for the opponents is the 30 because of the poor depth of his kickoffs.

With the current condition of our ST's and their propensity to shy away from completing tackles, I really don't think it would matter if Reed kicked it to the back of the EZ on every kickoff.

X-Terminator
02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
hate the defense much? how quickly fans forget 2008. i guess we are pissing money into the wind with guys like polamalu, smith, and pro bowlers such as harrison, woodley, and hampton.

it makes me beg for a complete makeover when our weakest links are a first year starter named gay, and a previous pro bowler named farrior. :noidea:

fire lebeau! he no longer knows how to adjust.

:coffee:

btw... our defense had no problem stopping the vikings and chargers (2 high scoring teams many had favored to reach the superbowl).

i would say they are someone.

Pointing out that the defense had its issues is "hating?" Well, that's news to me.

We've been through this over and over and over again - the defense without a doubt played a role in the team's struggles this season, and IF they had been able to stop the dregs of the league when it mattered most, the Steelers would have been in the playoffs. Period. You want to excuse it and downplay it, that's fine. I'm not going to do that. Whatever criticism they get, they deserve.

The defense had no problem stopping the Vikings and Chargers? OK, I'll give you the Vikings game - the defense stepped up and won the game when they had to. But the Chargers? Really??? So I was just imagining things when they, along with the ST giving up a TD on a fumble return, damn near blew a 28-0 lead in the 2nd half then? A game, BTW, that were it not for the much-maligned offense scoring 10 points in the 4th quarter, they could very well have lost. The Chargers had absolutely no business being in that game.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I think the Steelers will make a valiant effort to keep Skippy and I sure as hell hope they do. It's not like Reed never kicks the pigskin in the EZ or behind the 10 YL - he's just not as consistent as a couple of other PK's in the league (and there are really very few who do it on a consistent basis). I think our ST's really need to learn how to make tackles, finish 'em off or take a hike, quite honestly.

A drafted PK will "just have to learn how to kick at Heinz Field on FG attempts"? :jawdrop: I'll remember you said that when the game is on the line - possibly a playoff game - and our new Boy Wonder flubs the clutcher. :shake02: Jeff Reed may miss a FG a couple of times per season, but there is no PK currently out there who I would want more in the black 'n gold with the game - and most importantly a playoff game - on the line.

Trust me HG I want Jeff Reed back as our kicker. He is as clutch as it gets for FGs. I was just pointing out that it would not surprise me one bit if they did let Jeff Reed go. It would be a mistake IMO.