PDA

View Full Version : Saints defense

Gnutella
01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that the Saints defense could shut down the Colts offense? Think about this: the Colts offense is pretty much a carbon copy of the Cardinals offense -- stellar QB, reliable WRs, mediocre running game. The Saints defense only allowed 17 points to the Cardinals. (Yes, they allowed 28 to the Vikings, but the Vikings had, by far, the most balanced offense of any team in the playoffs this season.)

Furthermore, the Saints have forced seven turnovers in two games. Without looking up the numbers, I bet that's the most of any team in the playoffs so far. For as well as Peyton Manning has played, he's not exactly immune to turnovers. He threw 16 INTs this season -- more than one per start.

Then there's the pass rush. Kurt Warner and Brett Favre had the living shit beaten out of them by the Saints defense, and I don't think Manning is immune from it either. His offensive line, while still decent, is not as good as it was five years ago, and we've seen first-hand how helpless Manning looks when he's being pressured consistently. Just ask Joey Porter.

I think the Saints have the right attitude on defense, and they could make some noise in the Super Bowl.

supa_fly_steeler
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
i want to see manning go down a few times... sack wise

Indo
01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
i want to see manning go down a few times... sack wise

Me too. Manning gets more and more frustrated the more he sees the turf...it throws his whole game off. A flustered Manning is a very good thing for opposing defenses.

SH-Rock
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Your wrong on the part of the running game. Colts running game is horrible .

JEFF4i
01-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, and no. It's going to be about mixing it up. He faced a very stout defense in the Jets, and ended up learning it, and subsequently picking it apart.

He'll do the same to the Saints if they don't stay one step ahead.

lionslicer
01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Saints defense let up 28 points against the Vikings, and it would have been more if it wasn't for all the fumbles. I can see them disrupting the Colts offense, but shutting it down? no way.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
The Colts aren't untouchable. They are also playing a very opportunistic defense in the Saints.

The Saints are going to go after Manning with different rush schemes. If they get to Manning and disrupt the timing, the Colts offense won't do much. Their offense is all predicated on timing and when you knock it out of whack, it's tough to get it back on track.

Nadroj 20
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Personally i think this game will be a shoot out and neither teams D will be able to shut down the others O.

Just my opinion.

BrandonCarr39
01-29-2010, 08:11 PM
No - Manning and the Colts O largely struggles against 3-4 Ds, NOT 4-3s.

Saints DC Gregg Williams LOVES to blitz, and if he does, he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

With that being said - I think the Saints will do a decent job, just as long as Williams doesn't get blitz happy.

BrandonCarr39
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Jabari Greer apparently is one of the best shutdown corners in the league. He was sorely missed in the 2nd half of the season with that groin injury - in the Dallas game, Miles Austin just schooled Malcolm Jenkins. The outcome may have been different if Greer played in that game, he shut down Larry Fitzgerald in the AZ playoff game. Tracey Porter is pretty good himself too.

Those are 2 matchups - Greer/Porter vs. Wayne/Garcon to watch out for. Also, I wonder who will be covering Dallas Clark - Fujita or Sharper?

AND...it seems like the Saints D is BETTER without Charles Grant - Grant may be one of the most talented DEs in the league, but he also has the Randy Moss mentality-just plays when he wants to. Bobby McCrary has really made a huge difference to the Saints pass rush in the postseason.