PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

mesaSteeler
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

The practices for the Senior Bowl have been happening all week long and the best player there has been someone most probably wouldn't have thought much about prior to this week.

Idaho guard Mike Iupati was somebody I wanted to see more of this week. And thanks to the miracle of the NFL Network, I got that chance.

And Iupati is as good as advertised.

So while all the early focus for the Steelers is on other positions, I'm narrowing in on Iupati as a strong possibility as the team's No. 1 draft pick.

Yes, he's a guard. But he also lined up at tackle this week and more than held his own.

With Art Rooney II's proclamation in the media last week about wanting to get back to running the ball more, Iupati would make a lot of sense as the Steelers' top pick.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2010, 06:41 AM
The stuff I keep hearing from him has been nothing but good. If he keeps going he will leap in front of us.

solardave
01-29-2010, 08:14 AM
The stuff I keep hearing from him has been nothing but good. If he keeps going he will leap in front of us.

Happens every year. Comes with winning I guess and not having an early pick. I'll take the wins but would love to see the FO trade up and get a beast like him.

supa_fly_steeler
01-29-2010, 08:35 AM
i hope he goes up draft boards so we can get earl thomas or kyle wilson

steelerdave1969
01-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Kind of thinking the same about Iupati, I think he might work himself right into the top 15 easily. The Steelers might could trade up around 10 and be sure and get him, but I dont see them doing that. I also love what I have seen of DB Kyle Wilson from Boise State. The guy seems pretty quick and has great ability to break on the pass and break up the passes. I guess we will see when the game gets started on saturday though. Another name to remember in my opinion right now is ILB Daryl Washington at 6'3 234 lbs from Texas Christian he is a beast and the Steelers need a replacement for James Farrior who seems to be slowing down just a tad.

SH-Rock
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
We should be looking for secondary players

solardave
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
We should be looking for secondary players

You're right. That's the only problem we have. Oline is fine huh? D line is no problem either.BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
we need "impact" defensive players... i believe the defense will be addressed in this draft.

KeiselPower99
01-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Iuputi in the first and Cam Thomas round 2.

Prok
01-29-2010, 07:53 PM
we need "impact" defensive players... i believe the defense will be addressed in this draft.

I could be happy with any combination of DT OL CB in the first 3 rounds so long as we get some production out of the first 2 picks early.

We need the immediate help as we are built to win now imo.

Northside Jonny
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
If Iupati is not there I'd be willing to bet they go with Brian Bulaga of Iowa . Personally I would rather have Earl Thomas if he was still there. But I would be happy with either of these OL players .

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Just wondering, who was the highest rated offensive guard ever taken and where??

I just have a hard time thinking that a OG is gonna be a top 15 pick. LT's are of more value and I think Okung, Williams, Davis and Bulaga probably go before Iupati. The guy is a mauler, but at best a OG/RT. Even last year, the best offensive interior lineman was Alex Mack and he went at the bottom of the 1st.

I think Steeler fans are reading too much into the fact that the Steelers interviewed Iupati and Rooney wants to run the ball better. I think if they go O line....they end up with Williams, Bulaga or Campbell........then look at a CB or maybe Dan Williams slides to the 2nd round.

Northside Jonny
01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Iupati's value is so high because it is believed that he could play any position on the line .

JPbucco
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Colbert does not draft OL in the first round.

Gonna be a CB.

Psyychoward86
01-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Colbert does not draft OL in the first round.

Gonna be a CB.

Correction. He drafts the BPA.

I really doubt Lupati will be gone by the #18 pick. I think Lupati will most definitely be there without us trading down. As great as he is, I think he'll be overshadowed by most other teams especially at the DB and OT prospects. We already let Alex Mack slip from us (not saying it's a bad trade-off from getting Ziggy), but a very notable achievement of the Browns offense this year is that they were 8th in the league in rushing. Yes, im talking about those Browns. And Alex Mack was a huge part of that. It'll be tough to resist an interior lineman this tempting. Is it wrong for me to be lickin' my chops for this guy already? (rhetorical question)

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Iupati's value is so high because it is believed that he could play any position on the line .

But he cant.

If you saw the Senior Bowl practice when they put him at LT he got steamrolled on a bull rush once he was setup outside. He doesnt have the agility or technique to play LT.

The guy is a mauler of an OG and a guy that can play RT if needed. I still think he holds value around the #25 spot and there isnt anybody that desperate to draft him in the top 15. If Williams, Campbell or Bulaga(still not convinced he is a LT) is there.........they are much more valuable than an OG.

Northside Jonny
01-30-2010, 03:13 AM
But he cant.

If you saw the Senior Bowl practice when they put him at LT he got steamrolled on a bull rush once he was setup outside. He doesnt have the agility or technique to play LT.

The guy is a mauler of an OG and a guy that can play RT if needed. I still think he holds value around the #25 spot and there isnt anybody that desperate to draft him in the top 15. If Williams, Campbell or Bulaga(still not convinced he is a LT) is there.........they are much more valuable than an OG.

Hey i did not say he could play any OLine spot I was just telling you what I've heard about him. Alot of scouts think he can play any spot I dont know personnally I dont care . I'm pulling for Earl Thomas if he is still there. But it sounds like the scouts are pretty high on this Iupati.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey i did not say he could play any OLine spot I was just telling you what I've heard about him. Alot of scouts think he can play any spot I dont know personnally I dont care . I'm pulling for Earl Thomas if he is still there. But it sounds like the scouts are pretty high on this Iupati.

Wasnt hacking on you.

I think Iupati is just getting a lot of hype because #1...he is the best OG in the draft, but #2...because none of the top OT's (Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Davis, Campbell, Brown) are at the Senior bowl.

markymarc
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
While getting a superior guard like Lupati in the first round would be nice, if the Steelers do go with an OL player I think they would pick up Brian Bulaga from Iowa. Although I am still pulling for them to go with Earl Thomas at 1.18. Thomas teamed up with Troy would be a very nice tandem at the back end!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 05:52 PM
While getting a superior guard like Lupati in the first round would be nice, if the Steelers do go with an OL player I think they would pick up Brian Bulaga from Iowa. Although I am still pulling for them to go with Earl Thomas at 1.18. Thomas teamed up with Troy would be a very nice tandem at the back end!

I agree, that you draft an OT that can possibly play LT before you spend a pick on a guard. Iupati looked good in practice, but guys like Geno Atkins, Dan Williams gave him trouble in the game.

Mayock is good every year for overhyping guys that he falls in love with, but then points out their faults as a sidenote. Example, Max Unger can play all 5 positions on the O-line and is the #1 center.(but mayock neglects to mention he cant handle bid defenders).

This year Mayock was all over Iupati saying the same 5-position crap, when he hasnt played C and got abused in practice as an OT. Then after 2 holding calls, Mayock backpedals and says "the one thing I didnt like on tape is that he's a grabber and not a puncher" :doh:

Chidi29
02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Just wondering, who was the highest rated offensive guard ever taken and where??

I just have a hard time thinking that a OG is gonna be a top 15 pick. LT's are of more value and I think Okung, Williams, Davis and Bulaga probably go before Iupati. The guy is a mauler, but at best a OG/RT. Even last year, the best offensive interior lineman was Alex Mack and he went at the bottom of the 1st.

I think Steeler fans are reading too much into the fact that the Steelers interviewed Iupati and Rooney wants to run the ball better. I think if they go O line....they end up with Williams, Bulaga or Campbell........then look at a CB or maybe Dan Williams slides to the 2nd round.

I know that since 2004, 23rd is the highest for a guard.

Chidi29
02-02-2010, 07:20 PM
This year Mayock was all over Iupati saying the same 5-position crap, when he hasnt played C and got abused in practice as an OT. Then after 2 holding calls, Mayock backpedals and says "the one thing I didnt like on tape is that he's a grabber and not a puncher" :doh:

In Mayock's defense, during the week in practice, he pointed out the grabbing Iupati was doing. He's a solid analyst IMO.

Iupati seems like a guy that could play LT in a pinch in the sense Ramon Foster could, but you aren't going to feel too good about having to do so.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree, that you draft an OT that can possibly play LT before you spend a pick on a guard. Iupati looked good in practice, but guys like Geno Atkins, Dan Williams gave him trouble in the game.

Mayock is good every year for overhyping guys that he falls in love with, but then points out their faults as a sidenote. Example, Max Unger can play all 5 positions on the O-line and is the #1 center.(but mayock neglects to mention he cant handle bid defenders).

You bring up a very good point with Mike Mayock...in that he over hypes guys that he falls in love with, but at least he points out their weaknesses unlike some other analysts out there. Personally I think Mike Mayock is the best analyst out there. I do agree with you though that it makes more sense to pick up a tackle in the first round. Plus IMO we have plenty of young depth at the guard spot right now and we have other needs rather than waste a first round pick on the guard position.