PDA

View Full Version : Aussie_steeler 2010 Mock Draft

Aussie_steeler
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Its 2010 and so far I have failed to submit a mock draft. When better than Senior Bowl week to submit my first detailed effort. Here goes.

at the #18 spot I see the Steelers sitting in that first round grey zone where the BPA could vary from OT, FS, CB, DE, DT, NT, WR or OLB. An endless set of combinations is possible.

My mock draft is aimed at ensuring that the first 5 picks all wind up on the 53 man roster to start the season. They will all target current holes in the roster and be able to contribute in some role through out the season. The next set of picks are all players that will be given a legitimate chance to compete with fringe players and worst case scenario be practice squad material.

I see key targets like McClain, Haden and Thomas being taken before the #18 pick. I currently see the pick being between Dan Williams NT, Bryan Bulaga OT and Mike Iupati OG. I am still tossing up between Bulaga and Iupati, protecting Bens blindside or punching huge running lanes in the interior of the line. I want to say Iupati but I think you err on the side of protecting your billionaire QB.

Tossing a coin I pick

Rd 1
Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6’6 312lbs

(if Willie Colon is lost then Bulaga earns his roster spot. If Willie Colon is resigned then Tony Hills is the man to make way for Bulaga)

The next pick has to be a FS or NT. The only possible option at NT is Terrance Cody and I just don’t see the durability there. The secondary needs to be strengthened and a backup FS who can step in and start in 2011 is a must. The best pure cover FS at this point has to be;

Rd 2
Nate Allen FS South Florida 6’1 205 lbs

(if Ryan Clark walks then Nate Allen is competing for a starting position. If Clark stays as expected then Ryan Mundy is the odd man out)

The third round pick has to be a sure fire pick for the future and I see no better pick than getting a stout NT who can immediately challenge Hoke for the backup role and step in to replace Casey in 2011 (after he has been tagged and released in the 2010 season) A solid senior bowl week has solidified this NT back into the 3rd ranking for the 3-4 NT position.

Rd 3
Cam Thomas DT North Carolina 6’4 331 lb

(if Casey leaves then Chris Hoke starts with Thomas his understudy. If Casey stays then I think Hoke is on the outer)

Going into the fourth round the next hole that has to be filled on the current roster is SS. Tyrone Carter has been a valued member of the roster for a long while. Unfortunately time has caught up with Carters body and unfortunately his football instincts are not translating to his legs and feet. The guy who backs Troy needs to be strong in the box and a man who can run with a teams TE and cover the middle of the field. In the 4th the best man I see available is

Rd 4
Reshad Jones SS Georgia 6’2 212 lbs

(Reshad Jones immediately makes Tyrone Carter expendable. At this point in the draft the safety positions on the team have been significantly bolstered and depth is no longer a concern.)

The holes that remain on the roster now in my view are;

#2 RB ( I think that between Moore, Redman and Vincent things look OK)
#2 TE ( McHugh and Johnson are blocking TE’s. A hands guys might be needed)

Competition is needed at;

# 3 / 4 outside linebacker
# 4 ILB
#4 WR
#3 QB (l Batch comes back I believe)

The next 6 picks are all guys who are not expected to land on the roster but will give great competition and would not surprise to score a ticket to playing on Sunday’s

Round 5a
Jermaine Cunningham DE /OLB Florida 6’3 252lbs

An intriguing undersized DE from the SEC. Has very good pass rush skills and has plenty of potential. The steelers always reach for a DE convert ( eg Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis…) so a guy like Cunningham in the 5th is not going to break the bank if he falls short. I would have liked to take a guy like Koa Misi in the 4th but I see SS as a slightly more pressing need. Granted if a starting OLB goes down we are in trouble but either Bailey or Frazier are better equipped to start and maintain some pressure.

Round 5b
Dorin Dickerson FB / HB / WR Pittsburgh 6’1 222

This guy has wowed plenty of scouts at the senior bowl. Trying out for the first time as a slot receiver and by all reports he has made some of the touted secondary prospects look second rate. Dickerson is a Hines Ward type receiver who is not scared to go into traffic or take on the hard blocks. This guy will be a huge sleeper for whoever drafts him.

Round 5c
Adrian Tracey OLB William & Mary 6’3 243

This guy is my first real bolter of the draft. Mike Tomlin loves his W & M alum and this is his first real chance to give one of his schools players a chance. Tracey as a player could be considered this high with a good workout. He has the skills to compete as a 3-4 OLB.

Round 6
Stafon Johnson RB USC 5 11” 214

A high character guy who suffered a tragic accident in the weight room last year (dropped 250 lb weight on his throat whilst bench pressing. Has had numerous operations that have saved his life and voice). Johnson has great burst and can break a huge run once through the hole. Good in pass protection and shows great patience when running. Johnson is a quality RB that sat behind some good players at USC and was never given a real chance to showcase his talents. I think story may be a little Willie Parker like.

Round 7a
Nate Bynham TE Pittsburgh 6’4 268 lbs

Bynham is a hard working Tight end. He possesses solid blocking and pass catching skills. He is very similar to our current backup TE’s. With the depth in the receiving corp I just don’t see the #2 TE doing much more than blocking in the current system.

Round 7b
Matt Mayberry ILB Indianna 6’2 238 lbs

Good character guy who doesn’t have the measurables to wow the scouts. He is a leader and a player who might just overachieve if given a chance. Mayberry could well be that special team type player that works hard enough to work his way into a role on the team as a ILB.

Players who I like but cant find spots for at this point in time.

1. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6’2 219 lbs ( still my main pimp. Dickerson is just better value)
2. Cody Grimm SS Virginia Tech 5’11 210 lbs
3. Brett Swenson K Michigan State 5’8 173
4. Kade Weston DE Georgia 6’5 325 lb
5. Curtis Steele RB Memphis 6’0 190 lbs
6. Lee Campbell ILB Minnesota 6’3 246

With the 2011 draft in mind I have not jumped in the deep end for an inside linebacker. I have my eyes well and truly on Donta Hightower, Rolando McClain’s partner at Alabama. At 6’4 250 lbs he is every bit as skilled as Rolando McClain. He suffered a season ending injury this year last year, but at the start of the season he was as dominant as his sidekick in the middle linebacker position on the Tides dominant defence.

Look forward to any feedback.

Chidi29
01-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Ben's blindside is currently protected by a man makng 25+ million.

Aussie_steeler
01-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Ben's blindside is currently protected by a man makng 25+ million.

For the next two years I would say yes. Beyond that I am not sure. Kendall Simmons was making huge money and that didnt stop the FO letting him go.

Also I am not sure about Colon and his status. The squad really looks one good OT short IMO. Foster looks like his is capable but Hills looks like he is heading down the Bruce Davis path.

Texasteel
01-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Like the draft Aussie, though I don't know much about Tracey. You give me my 2 safetys and an OT. If Reed whats to much money you may have to make room for Swenson.

Great job.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
For the next two years I would say yes. Beyond that I am not sure. Kendall Simmons was making huge money and that didnt stop the FO letting him go.

Also I am not sure about Colon and his status. The squad really looks one good OT short IMO. Foster looks like his is capable but Hills looks like he is heading down the Bruce Davis path.

Simmons also broke down. We don't have a reason to believe that Starks will (Maybe he will, but there isn't any reason to believe that to the point of spending a first rounder on a tackle).

As long as Starks plays at the level he's at and shows improvement as he did this season, his pass protection improved a lot - did a lot better with his footwork - there isn't an issue at left tackle.

Colon will get the 1st/3rd tender. We can either try to extend him or prove he can play at a high level another year and lock him up long-term next offseason. And even if you think that Colon could be gone next year, Bulaga can't play on the right side. He only has experience at LG and LT.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Like the draft brother....you always seem to think very logically in your draft picks.

I currently have a brand new Steelers coat, that might be the prize this year for the draft contest. I REALLY dont want to have to pay for postage to Australia!!!!!!!!:doh:

Texasteel
01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Like the draft brother....you always seem to think very logically in your draft picks.

I currently have a brand new Steelers coat, that might be the prize this year for the draft contest. I REALLY dont want to have to pay for postage to Australia!!!!!!!!:doh:

Liike I said last year, I'll split it with ya. I would love for you to have to mail that thing down under.

mulldog24
01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Great draft!! I like all of those picks! If our draft were to fall just like that we would be in great shape. I really like the Stafon Johnson pick at that point he had a great week at the Senior bowl practices and think he would be good for the Steelers.

taztroy43
01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Great draft!! I like all of those picks! If our draft were to fall just like that we would be in great shape. I really like the Stafon Johnson pick at that point he had a great week at the Senior bowl practices and think he would be good for the Steelers.

Stafon Johnson would be a great pick in the later rounds!!! the question is will he be there in the 5/6th???.....

steelersfanman92
01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Good draft, I like the Mayberry pick a lot. He may not have the measurable but he is just a football player and has really good instincts.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Maybe Tracey is a legitimate prospect, but don't get too caught up in the W&M connection. If I recall, only one player from that school has been a Steeler since Tomlin has been here. And that was Mike Potts, an UDFA who didn't make it out of camp.

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Simmons also broke down. We don't have a reason to believe that Starks will (Maybe he will, but there isn't any reason to believe that to the point of spending a first rounder on a tackle).

As long as Starks plays at the level he's at and shows improvement as he did this season, his pass protection improved a lot - did a lot better with his footwork - there isn't an issue at left tackle.

Colon will get the 1st/3rd tender. We can either try to extend him or prove he can play at a high level another year and lock him up long-term next offseason. And even if you think that Colon could be gone next year, Bulaga can't play on the right side. He only has experience at LG and LT.

I agree with most of what you say. I have nothing against Colon or Starks but I have little faith in what is behind them. I think both Bulaga and Iupati will be there and I am really split at this point. I like Iupati a hell of a lot but unless he can play tackle he may be a bit overvalued at #18. I also really like Maurkice Pouncey at around the #40 spot.

My reasoning for my pick is that the steelers cannot keep providing big contracts to all the senior players. At some point they have to let the odd one go. This year FWP will go most likely and I am taking a punt on Colon maybe going. ( it is just a gut feeling that I am going with and nothing else. Recent articles about Casey might be the saving grace for Colon and leave some space for him to get his deal)

Starks play has been good and I dont fault that. I just believe at some time a quality OT will be taken. The last few years the team has really looked to land one, but fortunately they havent reached to get their man (rumour has it last year it was Max Unger and they missed on a trade) This is the year that I believe the BPA will be the OT they have hoped for in previous years.

I also see the next OT being drafted in the first or second round going down the Marvel Smith path. Sitting for a year learning, playing a year or two on the right and then being shifted over to the left. ( I dont know that Bulaga cant play on the right, I think it is that he just hasnt.)

Chidi - I love the scrutiny and I just hope that my reasoning has some logic. If it doesnt measure up then I may just have to reconsider my choices

:drink:

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Maybe Tracey is a legitimate prospect, but don't get too caught up in the W&M connection. If I recall, only one player from that school has been a Steeler since Tomlin has been here. And that was Mike Potts, an UDFA who didn't make it out of camp.

Tomlin has gone into bat for the odd Minnesota player that was on campus when he was on the vikings staff. My take on Tomlin is that he could be a little prone to keeping an eye out for people within the network.

With 10 picks this draft there is no way all of them pan out. I have no problem with the odd gamble from a small school. Just in this case Tomlin is likely to have a lot more scouting info from the inside at W&M than all the other NFL teams.

Mock Drafting is like clutching at straws. You can grab for a lot and come out holding nothing. At the moment this is what I am clutching at. Next week it will be different.

mulldog24
01-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Stafon Johnson would be a great pick in the later rounds!!! the question is will he be there in the 5/6th???.....

Good question, and only his performances in the Senior bowl,combine and pro days will decide where his stock will be at come April. But for right now I believe that is about right for him.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with most of what you say. I have nothing against Colon or Starks but I have little faith in what is behind them. I think both Bulaga and Iupati will be there and I am really split at this point. I like Iupati a hell of a lot but unless he can play tackle he may be a bit overvalued at #18. I also really like Maurkice Pouncey at around the #40 spot.

My reasoning for my pick is that the steelers cannot keep providing big contracts to all the senior players. At some point they have to let the odd one go. This year FWP will go most likely and I am taking a punt on Colon maybe going. ( it is just a gut feeling that I am going with and nothing else. Recent articles about Casey might be the saving grace for Colon and leave some space for him to get his deal)

Starks play has been good and I dont fault that. I just believe at some time a quality OT will be taken. The last few years the team has really looked to land one, but fortunately they havent reached to get their man (rumour has it last year it was Max Unger and they missed on a trade) This is the year that I believe the BPA will be the OT they have hoped for in previous years.

I also see the next OT being drafted in the first or second round going down the Marvel Smith path. Sitting for a year learning, playing a year or two on the right and then being shifted over to the left. ( I dont know that Bulaga cant play on the right, I think it is that he just hasnt.)

Chidi - I love the scrutiny and I just hope that my reasoning has some logic. If it doesnt measure up then I may just have to reconsider my choices

:drink:

The thing is that the first round isn't about drafting for depth. It's about drafting for talent and position. Maybe Bulaga has the talent, I haven't gotten into evaluations of most players yet so I couldn't say, but the position doesn't make sense. What about NT? Or FS if we let Clark go or manage to sign him to a short, cheap deal? What about other spots on the line such as RG? A DE? An ILB? Even a CB, though I'm not big on the idea.

Taking Bulaga is different than taking Mendenhall or Sweed. Obviously, you can have comittees at RBs and run 4/5 WR sets with WR. You can never have enough of those guys because you can use them all in some form or fashion during a game. You can't do that at tackle. There is no such thing as a committee there. When you're set, you're set. Sure, maybe draft a project later on as we did with Hills, but there are so many other routes we could go that just make more sense from a need or BPA/usefulness standpoint. Heck, if it came down to him and say, a CJ Spiller, I'll take Spiller. Not saying that Spiller is my guy, but at least you can run a committee at RB.

What senior guys are you referring to? Neither Starks or Colon are getting senior discounts for Denny's anytime soon. I think they're both under 28. Well under in Colon's case.

Why does everyone think Colon is leaving?

Let's clear up the situation.

He is a restricted free agent. He wouldn't have been if the CBA wasn't going to expire in March, but he now is. Meaning, he can place a tender on him and match any offer that a team attempts to put on him. If we do not, they get Colon but as compensation, have to give us draft picks deemed by the tender we put on. Last year when he was a RFA, he put a first and third tender on him, the highest possible. Now that his play has improved tremendously, we're sure to do so again this season. No one is going to be willing to lose a 1st and 3rd for him; I read the other day that not one of the 55 RFAs last year that were tendered ended up going to another team.

Simply put, Colon will be back.

Unger was an interior lineman with the ability to play either guard or center.. He wasn't really viewed as a tackle in the NFL, even if he played there a little at Oregon.

I'm certainly not attacking you personally; I respect your and virtually everyone else's opinion on here. I just don't think guys like Starks and Colon are given enough credit. Both played well to extremely well this year, but their past reputations is still the impression that has left their mark on the fans. Hopefully that changes.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Tomlin has gone into bat for the odd Minnesota player that was on campus when he was on the vikings staff. My take on Tomlin is that he could be a little prone to keeping an eye out for people within the network.

With 10 picks this draft there is no way all of them pan out. I have no problem with the odd gamble from a small school. Just in this case Tomlin is likely to have a lot more scouting info from the inside at W&M than all the other NFL teams.

Mock Drafting is like clutching at straws. You can grab for a lot and come out holding nothing. At the moment this is what I am clutching at. Next week it will be different.

Remember that Tomlin didn't coach at W&M. He just played there. Sure, he was some connections, but there probably not as strong as other areas where he was a coach.

Moore was brought in partially due to the connection he had with Tomlin in Minnesota.

One pick Tomlin probably had a big hand in was David Johnson. Johnson played at Arkansas St where Tomlin coached early in his career. He probably still knows someone from there.

The Cincy Bearcats could be another strong lifeline, although we haven't drafted anyone from there yet. Again, Tomlin coached there and their AD has been around for 20 years.

All those are stronger connections than W&M. Don't forget that it's also a collorbative effort from Tomlin, Colbert, and the scouts. No one guy is running the show, as I'm sure you know.

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
The thing is that the first round isn't about drafting for depth. It's about drafting for talent and position. Maybe Bulaga has the talent, I haven't gotten into evaluations of most players yet so I couldn't say, but the position doesn't make sense. What about NT?Rd 3 - Cam Thomas is the #3 NT on most draft boards at the moment so I feel that he is no scrub and would be a player that is capable of starting in 2010 if Casey has already walked come draft time. Or FS if we let Clark go or manage to sign him to a short, cheap deal? Rd 2 - Nate Allen who probably is the #4 safety on the board and definitely a better cover guy than Taylor Mays. Clark gets a 2 year contract and competes with Nate Allen in 2010 What about other spots on the line such as RG? Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, Darnell Stapleton, Craig Urkik and maybe even Doug Legursky provide some options A DE?Aaron Smith, Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Nick Eason, Sonny Harris An ILB? Timmons, Farrior, Fox and I stated that I embedded into my draft I would target Donta Hightower to be the first round pick to address the ILB spotEven a CB, though I'm not big on the idea.

Taking Bulaga is different than taking Mendenhall or Sweed. Obviously, you can have comittees at RBs and run 4/5 WR sets with WR. You can never have enough of those guys because you can use them all in some form or fashion during a game. You can't do that at tackle. There is no such thing as a committee there. When you're set, you're set. Sure, maybe draft a project later on as we did with Hills, but there are so many other routes we could go that just make more sense from a need or BPA/usefulness standpoint. Heck, if it came down to him and say, a CJ Spiller, I'll take Spiller. And if Dez Bryant falls as the #1 WR we could definitely take him just like Spiller who is the consensus #1Not saying that Spiller is my guy, but at least you can run a committee at RB.

What senior guys are you referring to? Neither Starks or Colon are getting senior discounts for Denny's anytime soon. I think they're both under 28. Well under in Colon's case. The common knock against our current roster is that it is getting old and pricey. Have a look at our roster and you cant keep throwing around big contracts to guys who are closing in on 30. Harrison got his money and so did Farrior. Money has to be put in reserve to consider the contracts of Santonio Holmes, Lamaar Woodley, Daniel Sepulveda,

Why does everyone think Colon is leaving?

Let's clear up the situation.

He is a restricted free agent. He wouldn't have been if the CBA wasn't going to expire in March, but he now is. Meaning, he can place a tender on him and match any offer that a team attempts to put on him. If we do not, they get Colon but as compensation, have to give us draft picks deemed by the tender we put on. Last year when he was a RFA, he put a first and third tender on him, the highest possible. Now that his play has improved tremendously, we're sure to do so again this season. No one is going to be willing to lose a 1st and 3rd for him; I read the other day that not one of the 55 RFAs last year that were tendered ended up going to another team.

Simply put, Colon will be back.

Unger was an interior lineman with the ability to play either guard or center.. He wasn't really viewed as a tackle in the NFL, even if he played there a little at Oregon.

I'm certainly not attacking you personally; I respect your and virtually everyone else's opinion on here. I just don't think guys like Starks and Colon are given enough credit. Both played well to extremely well this year, but their past reputations is still the impression that has left their mark on the fans. Hopefully that changes.

If Colon signs his RFA tender, stays a year, a deal gets done by the NFL, I am guessing he is an unrestricted free agent come 2011. He is a good enough RT that a wannabee team will paying him big money to play for them.

Colon is a tough no frills lineman that is always going to be underappreciated by fans but really appreciated by his QB and the lineman around him.

I just think he might not be around in 2011. Just a gut feeling and that factors into my way of mocking.

Steeldude
01-30-2010, 10:57 PM
why would you take spiller over bulaga? the team has absolutely no need for another small RB. IMO, the O-line is a lot more important than a scat-back. those types of RBs are a dime a dozen.

The thing is that the first round isn't about drafting for depth

explain hood. he will be depth again this coming season. hood won't be starting until 2011(barring injuries to smith/keisel). an offensive tackle can sit for a year or two. starks contract is up in 2012.

What about NT?

depends on which NTs will be available and worth the 18th pick. i am fine with picking anything along the O-line, D-line, LB and DB areas in the first.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I was just throwing out suggestions of positions to show that there are more important areas that fill more of a need than a luxury. Of course, some of the guys you named will end up being misses; the success rate as you go along gets lower and lower. And obviously, you're not going to be able to get all of those guys. What happens if someone snatches up that one guy you pray would fall to you? Then you're in big trouble.

We weren't talking about any senior guys. We're talking about Colon and Starks. Neither of them are seniors. We're not talking about giving money to Hampton or Clark.

If Colon plays at the level he did this year, we're sure to reward him. Heck, we had no trouble paying Kemoeatu 20+ million with his limited experience and we gave Starks a similar contract. Why wouldn't we do so to Colon?

And again, Bulaga has never been a RT in his career. He's projected to be a LT.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 12:29 AM
why would you take spiller over bulaga? the team has absolutely no need for another small RB. IMO, the O-line is a lot more important than a scat-back. those types of RBs are a dime a dozen.

explain hood. he will be depth again this coming season. hood won't be starting until 2011(barring injuries to smith/keisel). an offensive tackle can sit for a year or two. starks contract is up in 2012.

depends on which NTs will be available and worth the 18th pick. i am fine with picking anything along the O-line, D-line, LB and DB areas in the first.

Uh....because you can't start three tackles at once. But you can run a committee at RB and Spiller is one heck of a player. A scat-back? What? Are you serious?

First off, we had way less holes/potential issues going into last year. And DE is a position where you can rotate. Again, you can't do that at OT.

Plus, we realized Aaron Smith is getting older and is a candidate to getting cut this year IMO if he can't fully recover from his torn rotator cuff. Starks nor Colon are old.

Just to be clear, Starks' contract is up after the 2012 season. He's got three years left on his deal. Why have your #1 pick sit that long and then basically hope, as strange as it sounds, that Starks hasn't played well enough to be worthy of a new contract.

Aussie_steeler
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
I was just throwing out suggestions of positions to show that there are more important areas that fill more of a need than a luxury. Of course, some of the guys you named will end up being misses; the success rate as you go along gets lower and lower. And obviously, you're not going to be able to get all of those guys. What happens if someone snatches up that one guy you pray would fall to you? Then you're in big trouble.

We weren't talking about any senior guys. We're talking about Colon and Starks. Neither of them are seniors. We're not talking about giving money to Hampton or Clark.

If Colon plays at the level he did this year, we're sure to reward him. Heck, we had no trouble paying Kemoeatu 20+ million with his limited experience and we gave Starks a similar contract. Why wouldn't we do so to Colon?

And again, Bulaga has never been a RT in his career. He's projected to be a LT.

The contracts handed out to Starks and Kemo were the result of the FO having little to no other options to utilise. No free agents they could afford, no quality depth obtained through the draft and a need to protect Ben. I think they had no option but to stay in house. Poor drafting come back to bite them.

Jump forward to 2011 ( Colon could be a UFA) or 2012 when Starks is out of contract. What are our options......Tony Hills or Ramon Foster.

An OT will be taken in this years draft IMO and I think you will have a choice of at least 2 good ones to consider.

By the way......... I offered up a bucket load of players in the mock draft thread and I will defend my mock in its total context. Just because you have a problem with Bulaga or anyother OT in the first round doesnt mean I have to stay totally on discussion about your opinion on OT. My mock is around a whole team scenario that outlined and I have drafted according to the scenario offered. I outlined that I believe OT is an important area. That is where the discussion will remain from me in this thread.....who is on my watch list, who I chose in a particular scenario, why I chose them and definitey not a view that I am trying to ram down anyone elses throat. As a draftnik I post in the warroom so that we can discuss the possibiity of who would make a great steeler. If I want to argue philosophical views about the steelers management then I will put a thread into the Steelers section.

Thats the beauty of mock drafts. In the end they count for nothing other than learning about a load of players so when it draft day / days you can remain engaged and know a little about the incoming steelers.

Steeldude
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Uh....because you can't start three tackles at once

uh..you can't start 4 DTs in a 3-4. what future prospects do the steelers have at OT?

smith, hampton, keisel. where does hood fit in at the moment? kirschke and eason were ahead of him until kirschke went down. a tackle, guard, C, NT or DB picked in the first round isn't going to start. only reason hood dressed was because of injuries. weren't you talking picking a guard or center over a tackle? if yes, then your same opinion applies. the steelers have kemo, stapleton, hartwig, legursky, foster and 3rd rounder urbik at guards and centers. at tackle they have starks, colon, essex and lmao...hills. i don't consider one O-lineman on the steelers to be a star. at least not yet. IMO, it is mostly average to perhaps slightly above average talent across the line. certainly there are more chances of rotation than the O-line, but i see nothing wrong with upgrading the tackle area. the steelers O-line is not good.

Starks' contract is up after the 2012 season

yes, that's his final year on the contract.

if smith can't heal properly then he might be cut. from what i read he said he was healing nicely. i seriously doubt he is going to be cut. i think a decent NT will be available in the 3rd.

Why have your #1 pick sit that long and then basically hope

the steelers are known for having their picks sit on the bench. hood is sitting. if it weren't for injuries hood wouldn't have dressed for a lot more games. i would rather see colon playing RG due to his short arms. of course that's just my opinion.

A scat-back?

at 195. yes, a scat-back just like reggie bush. plus, i am a firm believer in a superior O-line over a superior RB.

i hope the steelers stay far away from RBs, QBs, TEs and WRs on the first day.

Bulaga has never been a RT in his career. He's projected to be a LT

could always move starks to RT and colon to RG.

i don't care if they pick bulaga or not. as long as it's a BPA in a position they need filling. i really don't want to see a WR taken.

i do like your views, but we are just in slight a disagreement on drafting a tackle in the first. if the steelers get iupati they will get a G/T. of course the combine is still 2 months away. i am wondering how fat cody will be by then...lol.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 02:05 AM
uh..you can't start 4 DTs in a 3-4. what future prospects do the steelers have at OT?

smith, hampton, keisel. where does hood fit in at the moment? kirschke and eason were ahead of him until kirschke went down. a tackle, guard, C, NT or DB picked in the first round isn't going to start. only reason hood dressed was because of injuries. weren't you talking picking a guard or center over a tackle? if yes, then your same opinion applies. the steelers have kemo, stapleton, hartwig, legursky, foster and 3rd rounder urbik at guards and centers. at tackle they have starks, colon, essex and lmao...hills. i don't consider one O-lineman on the steelers to be a star. at least not yet. IMO, it is mostly average to perhaps slightly above average talent across the line. certainly there are more chances of rotation than the O-line, but i see nothing wrong with upgrading the tackle area. the steelers O-line is not good.

yes, that's his final year on the contract.

if smith can't heal properly then he might be cut. from what i read he said he was healing nicely. i seriously doubt he is going to be cut. i think a decent NT will be available in the 3rd.

the steelers are known for having their picks sit on the bench. hood is sitting. if it weren't for injuries hood wouldn't have dressed for a lot more games. i would rather see colon playing RG due to his short arms. of course that's just my opinion.

at 195. yes, a scat-back just like reggie bush. plus, i am a firm believer in a superior O-line over a superior RB.

i hope the steelers stay far away from RBs, QBs, TEs and WRs on the first day.

could always move starks to RT and colon to RG.

i don't care if they pick bulaga or not. as long as it's a BPA in a position they need filling. i really don't want to see a WR taken.

i do like your views, but we are just in slight a disagreement on drafting a tackle in the first. if the steelers get iupati they will get a G/T. of course the combine is still 2 months away. i am wondering how fat cody will be by then...lol.

But you can rotate DE's. You don't rotate OTs. See the difference?

And like I said, age is an issue at DE. Eason, Kirschke, Kiesel, and Smith are all in their 30s. Our tackles are all under thirty. Again, see the difference?

We don't need future prospects at tackle. At least, not elite guys that would have to start in the near future. We're set at tackle. That's my whole premise. Focus elsewhere.

I have said that if you're going to upgrade anywhere along the line, do it at center (Which also means cutting Hartwig which is fine because it's cheaper to do that) or right guard. Because Essex's pass blocking sucks; his footwork was bad all of last season. At least you saw improvement from Starks in that aspect.

A decent NT in the 3rd....that might have to start next year. Unless you want want to tag Hampton again, which will cost over $7 million.

Colon was fantastic at RT and Starks was fine at LT. Why move things around and risk regressing those players? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, am I right?

Have you seen Spiller's build? He is way more than just a scat back. I'm not saying we should draft Spiller. I'm just saying that I'd draft him over Bulaga, no doubt about it.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
The contracts handed out to Starks and Kemo were the result of the FO having little to no other options to utilise. No free agents they could afford, no quality depth obtained through the draft and a need to protect Ben. I think they had no option but to stay in house. Poor drafting come back to bite them.

Jump forward to 2011 ( Colon could be a UFA) or 2012 when Starks is out of contract. What are our options......Tony Hills or Ramon Foster.

An OT will be taken in this years draft IMO and I think you will have a choice of at least 2 good ones to consider.

By the way......... I offered up a bucket load of players in the mock draft thread and I will defend my mock in its total context. Just because you have a problem with Bulaga or anyother OT in the first round doesnt mean I have to stay totally on discussion about your opinion on OT. My mock is around a whole team scenario that outlined and I have drafted according to the scenario offered. I outlined that I believe OT is an important area. That is where the discussion will remain from me in this thread.....who is on my watch list, who I chose in a particular scenario, why I chose them and definitey not a view that I am trying to ram down anyone elses throat. As a draftnik I post in the warroom so that we can discuss the possibiity of who would make a great steeler. If I want to argue philosophical views about the steelers management then I will put a thread into the Steelers section.

Thats the beauty of mock drafts. In the end they count for nothing other than learning about a load of players so when it draft day / days you can remain engaged and know a little about the incoming steelers.

How or why they gave out deals to Starks and Kemo is irrelevant. The point is that they gave them to those players and they're not going to get benched.

If you want to play that game, I guess we should draft a WR in the first too. Holmes could be gone, you know he'll want a ton of money and Hines will more than likely have retired. Let's go after Golden Tate, right?

There is a fine line between looking at the future at the expense of sacrificing the present. There are areas of need that could need new guys within the next year or two, be it FS (Know you have us taking one in the 2nd) NT, ILB, etc. I'm fine with us wanting to draft another mid-round prospect at tackle and trying to develop him in case there is a situation where we run the risk of losing Starks and Colon a few years down the road. But I'm not spending a first round pick on a guy that I *have* to start at some point soon when I *might* lose my tackles anywhere from 1-3 years down the road.

I don't quite understand you're last paragraph. Have I not been discussing the fact that I disagree with your take that OT is of high importance in the draft? When have I strayed from that? You're more than welcome to talk about your other picks should someone else bring them up. I've mainly been talking about OT because as I think I've said before, I haven't gotten into the scouting of players too heavily yet so I couldn't give you my complete thoughts on a guy like Nate Allen, Cam Thomas, etc.

Aussie_steeler
01-31-2010, 04:46 AM
How or why they gave out deals to Starks and Kemo is irrelevant. The point is that they gave them to those players and they're not going to get benched.

If you want to play that game, I guess we should draft a WR in the first too. Holmes could be gone, you know he'll want a ton of money and Hines will more than likely have retired. Let's go after Golden Tate, right?

There is a fine line between looking at the future at the expense of sacrificing the present. There are areas of need that could need new guys within the next year or two, be it FS (Know you have us taking one in the 2nd) NT, ILB, etc. I'm fine with us wanting to draft another mid-round prospect at tackle and trying to develop him in case there is a situation where we run the risk of losing Starks and Colon a few years down the road. But I'm not spending a first round pick on a guy that I *have* to start at some point soon when I *might* lose my tackles anywhere from 1-3 years down the road.

I don't quite understand you're last paragraph. Have I not been discussing the fact that I disagree with your take that OT is of high importance in the draft? When have I strayed from that? You're more than welcome to talk about your other picks should someone else bring them up. I've mainly been talking about OT because as I think I've said before, I haven't gotten into the scouting of players too heavily yet so I couldn't give you my complete thoughts on a guy like Nate Allen, Cam Thomas, etc.

My dream pick is Rolando McClain but we have Timmons, Farrior on a new deal so he is not going to get benched and Keyaron Fox. Go figure that one:noidea:
Brandon Graham would be dynamite rushing from the outside but Harrison and Woodley arent going to sit either.

Heres a scouting report on Bulaga. I like what I read of him.
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/ot.shtml

Bulaga, if available at #18 is good value. Good enough for me to consider.

Dez Bryant at #18 is also great value. I considered him but I reason that he is gone.
Below is my reasoning. I am not an expert on the other 31 NFL teams or any part of the NFL for that matter.

1. Rams - N. Suh DT
2. Lions - G. McCoy DT
3. Bucs - E.Berry FS
4. Redskins - J. Clausen QB
5. Chiefs - R. McClain ILB
6. Seahawks -R. Okung OT
7. Browns - J. Haden CB
8. Raiders - C. Dunlap DE
9. Bills - S. Bradford QB
10. Broncos - D. Bryant WR
11. Jags - D. Morgan DE
12. Dophins - B.Graham OB
13. 49ers - CJ Spiller RB
14. Seahawks - E. Griffen DE
15. Giants - E.Thomas FS / CB
16. 49ers- A. Davis OT
17. Titans - J. Pierre Paul DE
18. Steelers -

On the board are left

* Tayor Mays FS * Trent Williams OT * Ricky Sapp OLB * Golden Tate WR
* Brian Bulaga OT * Mike Iupati OG * J. Dwyer RB * Sergio Kindle OLB
* B. Campbell OT * D. Williams NT * Jarod Odrick DE * Corey Wooten DE
* Jermaine Gresham TE * Patrick Robinson CB

Plenty of great options - I chose Bulaga, just ahead of Mike Iupati in this mock that has the steelers sitting tight at #18. Automatic #3 OT on steelers roster and future starter. ( I dont think anyone available at #18 is good enough to start day 1 for this team but all would be dynamic backups / understudies waiting for their opportunity whenever it presents - bit like Big Ben, Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood)

I believe it is also a great position to trade down for another pick in the second as well. Drop down 5 -6 spots and I believe Williams NT, Odrick DE or hopefully Iupati OG are available. A gambling man might even talk to the Giants and move up to #15 for Earl Thomas. The Giants are also in need of D line help and Price woud be a good option.

Tebows poor performance at the Senior bowl has 95% all but ruled out teams having to trade up in the first to get Tebow. He will now go in the second or third.

Teams that really value OT's ( as in the past few drafts where teams have traded future picks eg Atlanta for Sam Baker) are in a good position to move up. Teams moving or having just moved to a 3-4 could be very intrigued by Jarod Odrick or Corey Wooten ( much like Tyson Jackson last year). 4-3 Teams might even like to chase Brian Price DT.

Thats how I got to my first round pick.

Rd 2 - N. Allen FS
Rd 3 - C.Thomas NT
Rd 4. - R. Jones SS
Rd 5 - J. Cunningham OLB
Rd 5b D.Dickerson WR
Rd 5c A. Tracey OLB
Rd 6 S . Johnson RB
Rd 7a N.Bynham TE
Rd 7b M.Mayberry ILB

2011 Rd 1 - Donta Hightower ILB

Two OLB's in round 5 might be overkill but the conversion of OLB draft prospects in the mid rounds hasnt been great. Playing for the #4 OLB spot and ST time is a helluva incentive.

There are my thoughts. :thumbsup:

Steeldude
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
A decent NT in the 3rd....that might have to start next year. Unless you want want to tag Hampton again, which will cost over $7 million

the steelers have shown to do the same or better when hoke is in. hoke can start for the next 2 years. steed was a 3rd round pick and he started in his 2nd year.

Aussie_steeler
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Chidi - using the draft picks suggested above who would you take? I am keen for your opinion on how my scenario would unfold for you?

Tayor Mays FS * * Ricky Sapp OLB * Golden Tate WR
* * Mike Iupati OG * J. Dwyer RB * Sergio Kindle OLB
* * D. Williams NT * Jarod Odrick DE * Corey Wooten DE

I have taken out the OT's. What do you see as the priority area for the first round and who would therefore be the pick?

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
the steelers have shown to do the same or better when hoke is in. hoke can start for the next 2 years. steed was a 3rd round pick and he started in his 2nd year.

The last time Hoke started extensively was when he was in his late 20's. He's now in his mid 30's.

The team knows he doesn't have much left either. He was completely phased out of the defense this year, playing mostly on kick returns.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Chidi - using the draft picks suggested above who would you take? I am keen for your opinion on how my scenario would unfold for you?

Tayor Mays FS * * Ricky Sapp OLB * Golden Tate WR
* * Mike Iupati OG * J. Dwyer RB * Sergio Kindle OLB
* * D. Williams NT * Jarod Odrick DE * Corey Wooten DE

I have taken out the OT's. What do you see as the priority area for the first round and who would therefore be the pick?

As I've said, I haven't delved too heavily into play evaluations yet. So I can't give you an answer that is 100% yet.

Having said that, Terrence Cody or Dan Williams would be my top choices. I'd also take Tate, Wooten, Odrick, and Robinson over Bulaga in a heartbeat.

I do agree that in a perfect world, Bulaga falls to us and we can trade down and perhaps pick up an Iupati or Dan Williams where it would be less of a stretch. I don't know if you're predicitng trades or not in your mock; I know that I won't be doing so in mine since I predict the entire draft. Way too much guesswork involved in figuring out trades. I'm guessing enough as it is.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
My dream pick is Rolando McClain but we have Timmons, Farrior on a new deal so he is not going to get benched and Keyaron Fox. Go figure that one:noidea:
Brandon Graham would be dynamite rushing from the outside but Harrison and Woodley arent going to sit either.

Heres a scouting report on Bulaga. I like what I read of him.
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/ot.shtml

Bulaga, if available at #18 is good value. Good enough for me to consider.

Dez Bryant at #18 is also great value. I considered him but I reason that he is gone.
Below is my reasoning. I am not an expert on the other 31 NFL teams or any part of the NFL for that matter.

1. Rams - N. Suh DT
2. Lions - G. McCoy DT
3. Bucs - E.Berry FS
4. Redskins - J. Clausen QB
5. Chiefs - R. McClain ILB
6. Seahawks -R. Okung OT
7. Browns - J. Haden CB
8. Raiders - C. Dunlap DE
9. Bills - S. Bradford QB
10. Broncos - D. Bryant WR
11. Jags - D. Morgan DE
12. Dophins - B.Graham OB
13. 49ers - CJ Spiller RB
14. Seahawks - E. Griffen DE
15. Giants - E.Thomas FS / CB
16. 49ers- A. Davis OT
17. Titans - J. Pierre Paul DE
18. Steelers -

On the board are left

* Tayor Mays FS * Trent Williams OT * Ricky Sapp OLB * Golden Tate WR
* Brian Bulaga OT * Mike Iupati OG * J. Dwyer RB * Sergio Kindle OLB
* B. Campbell OT * D. Williams NT * Jarod Odrick DE * Corey Wooten DE

:

I love the way that you break things down...:thumbsup:

based on your thoughts, I would be inclined to go Dan Williams (go figure)...and last week I would have said that Trent Williams might be my second pick...(though the more I watch tape of him...the more I wonder if that nasty kick slide might keep him from ever being able to play on the left.)...so I would be inclined to go with Patrick Robinson as my #2 choice.

If I wanted to go with a player that I think is going to be a stud very quickly in the NFL...and didnt have to worry about value/need...I would LOVE to have Jarod Odrick.

Texasteel
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Guys, I just can get Weatherspoon out of my head. So much of our defense depends on the LB play. Weatherspoon has had a very good year and looked solid to me this week, though I did not see all the game and haven't watched the recording yet. A good pro day and combine, could bring him to Pittsburgh.

Northside Jonny
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Guys, I just can get Weatherspoon out of my head. So much of our defense depends on the LB play. Weatherspoon has had a very good year and looked solid to me this week, though I did not see all the game and haven't watched the recording yet. A good pro day and combine, could bring him to Pittsburgh.

I couldn't agree more I really like his play and his swagger. Gonna be an excellent pro!

Steeldude
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
The last time Hoke started extensively was when he was in his late 20's. He's now in his mid 30's.

but does not have a lot of mileage. there has been no drop-off when hoke comes in for hampton. if they re-sign hampton then i doubt the steelers will address the NT position.

question; if you could choose anyone from the draft who would be your top two choices?

mine would be suu or haden

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
but does not have a lot of mileage. there has been no drop-off when hoke comes in for hampton. if they re-sign hampton then i doubt the steelers will address the NT position.

question; if you could choose anyone from the draft who would be your top two choices?

mine would be suu or haden

But age also slows you down. My uncle has never played a down in his life, but at 50, he couldn't suit up and play. (Yes, I'm exaggerating. Just making a point.).

The team must figure he doesn't have much left in the tank given the fact that he rarely played on defense.

Based off what the Steelers need, probably Berry and Suh (though he's more of an ideal fit in a 4-3).

MasterOfPuppets
01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
here's what walterfootball has to say about him...

Summary: Weatherspoon is an extremely talented weakside linebacker prospect who brings the playmaking ability and athleticism a lot of teams are looking for. His ability to blitz gives him scheme versatility, but he isn't a 3-4 outside linebacker. Weatherspoon is going to be drafted in the top 40 picks with the potential to go in the top 15 or 20.

i wonder if he could play inside in a 3-4 ?
i'm on the jamaar chaney wagon now.....:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
here's what walterfootball has to say about him...

i wonder if he could play inside in a 3-4 ?
i'm on the jamaar chaney wagon now.....:thumbsup:

That is the thought, that weatherspoon can play weakside LB in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4. Kind of like Timmons.

I wish Pat Angerer was in the Senior Bowl. I would rather see a true ILB, but something about Angerer's footwork puzzles me. Otherwise he would be a good one in the 3rd round.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Rd 1 - B. Bulaga OT
Rd 2 - N. Allen FS
Rd 3 - C.Thomas NT
Rd 4. - R. Jones SS
Rd 5 - J. Cunningham OLB
Rd 5b D.Dickerson WR
Rd 5c A. Tracey OLB
Rd 6 S . Johnson RB
Rd 7a N.Bynham TE
Rd 7b M.Mayberry ILB
:

It has been a long time since I threw up a mock. Its time I jumped back on the horse and had a dig at another mock.

Sitting at # 18 I see only a few serious options that may be available. The only players that I would consider at #18, who are top 20 talent , that could be there are:

OT - Anthony Davis and Trent Willams ............. Safety Taylor Mays and Earl Thomas
RB - CJ Spiller OLB - Brandon Graham and Sergio Kindle
WR - Dez Bryant

I struggle to see any of those picks being made for a number of reasons. Each of those positions are pretty deep and good money has been invested on the players in front of them. I also think this is the year that the FO gets aggressive and targets a couple of specific players.

Round 1 ( Trade with Jacksonville. Pittsburgh exchanges #18 plus round 2 # 52 pick for Jacksonvilles #10 pick)

Steelers select ROLANDO McCLAIN Inside Linebacker ALABAMA 6'4 254 lbs

I have been a big advocate of two safeties in the first four rounds but the recent free agency moves have all but eliminated the need to go in that direction, McClain starts in 2011. I think this is the only pick that is possible in getting on the field in 2011 based on the current roster. ( CB with Joe Haden, possibly Kyle Wilson, are the only exceptions). I would love Spiller at #18 but I cant see that much money invested in the # 1 and 2 RB's.

Round 3 Koa Misi OLB Utah 6'3 251 lbs
I believe that OLB is a real hole in the current squad. The current #3 and 4 OLB's are a huge fall off from the starters of Harrison and Woodley. I have heard a lot of talk recently about how the steelers D revolves around the front 7, but I have not heard a lot of dialouge about the depth of the OLB corp. I love the work ethic, non stop motor and almost non existent mouth / ego of the polynesian players. I think Misi is a player waiting to explode into the NFL. My only fear is that someone like the PATS will value this player and steal him in the second round.

Round 4 Torrel Troup DT UCF 6'3 314 lbs

Casey has been signed for another 3 years. Now is the time to land a player who can be stout against the run and hold up the center of the D line. The player taken will benefit from two years in the weight room and watching / learning from one of the best in Casey. I dont want a NT who learns from the practice squad. I want a NT who can make Chris Hoke redundant and take over from Casey in 2012 if needed.

Round 5a. Jason Fox OT Miami 6'7 303 lbs

Let me dream a little with this pick. All I can think of is Gerald Cadogan OT back in the 2009 draft. We all valued him high and he fell all the way to round 7 and beyond. Sometimes injured players are forgotten and I am taking a punt here and guessing it could be Fox. My dream could only be more unrealistic if I put Arthur Jones DT Syracuse here. Players have to fall and this is my fools dream. What a good OT steal he would be at this point

Round 5b Al Woods DE LSU 6'4 310 lbs

This is a gut feeling pick for me. The guy has loads of talent and potentially could play both NT or DE in a 3-4 D. I really think this is a draft that goes hard on the D side of the ball and players from this point on are gambles when all is said and done. I would take a chance on him.

Round 5c. Robert Johnson UTAH FS 6'2 203 lbs. I still think a safety will be drafted to be given a chance to compete with Ryan Mundy. I am not sold on him. Worst case scenario a player like Johnson lands on the the practice squad.

Round 6 Adrian Tracey William & Mary 6'3 248 lbs

I am going to stick with my late round pimps. Another OLB is needed to compete for the #4 OLB

Round 7a Nate Bynham 6'4 268 lbs. I need to keep pimpin my late round guys. Just think that he is a player who can play the physical blocking style that is sadly lacking in Matt Spaeth.

Round 7b RB Lamarcus Coker HAMPTON 5'10 205 lbs ( 4.28 unofficial 40 time ) This is my real bolter. Lets get a speed guy in the RB corp. Mendenhall can play the majority of downs in Arians system. I would like to see a speed guy to change up the pace at times.

I have totally neglected the offensive side of the ball in my latest mock I if you discount my dream pick of Jason Fox at OT) And I have also neglected the CB position as I am placing faith in Lewis and Burnett.

I believe the LB depth and future stocks are an issue IMO. It might be overkill but it gets the job done for my perspective and concerns.

I truly believe something out of the ordinary is going to happen in a months time.

Cheers fellow draft nuts.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-13-2010, 06:57 AM
There is a lot to love about that draft.....though some will have a seizure over you not picking up a CB. I also think that you have Troupe undervalued...he may go from late 2nd to late 3rd.

LOVE the Koa Misi pick...Every draft there is a player that looks like a "Steeler". Misi is a high character guy with a great work ethic. His stats show that he has gotten better every year.

I have been getting the same "feeling" about Al Woods and his potential to play DE for us. He is one of those players whose predicted draft round is all over the board, I have seen him from Round two to UDFA. NFLdraftscout has him exactly where you placed him.

I also like your next three picks a great deal.

FS Robert Johnson is a guy that I have liked for awhile...he just impressed at his pro day and was alot more fluid and strong then evaluators had thought. On tape I think he looks like a player. He has had 13 interceptions in the past three years and seems to have impressive instincts.

OLB Adrian Tracey might be one of the biggest sleepers in this draft...he averaged 1.57 tackles for a loss per game and finished the season with 12 sacks. More impressiely is the fact that he finished his career with 62.5 tackles for a loss and 31 career sacks.

TE Nate Bynham is a great blocking TE and I am torn between him or Michael Hoomanawanui.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
There is a lot to love about that draft.....though some will have a seizure over you not picking up a CB. I also think that you have Troupe undervalued...he may go from late 2nd to late 3rd.

LOVE the Koa Misi pick...Every draft there is a player that looks like a "Steeler". Misi is a high character guy with a great work ethic. His stats show that he has gotten better every year.

I have been getting the same "feeling" about Al Woods and his potential to play DE for us. He is one of those players whose predicted draft round is all over the board, I have seen him from Round two to UDFA. NFLdraftscout has him exactly where you placed him.

I also like your next three picks a great deal.

FS Robert Johnson is a guy that I have liked for awhile...he just impressed at his pro day and was alot more fluid and strong then evaluators had thought. On tape I think he looks like a player. He has had 13 interceptions in the past three years and seems to have impressive instincts.

OLB Adrian Tracey might be one of the biggest sleepers in this draft...he averaged 1.57 tackles for a loss per game and finished the season with 12 sacks. More impressiely is the fact that he finished his career with 62.5 tackles for a loss and 31 career sacks.

TE Nate Bynham is a great blocking TE and I am torn between him or Michael Hoomanawanui.

I have gotta believe that Troupe will be gone by the 4th. My real dark horse for our NT pick is actually Jeff Owens out of Georgia.

He is currently listed at 6'1 305 lbs but he reminds me a lot of a young Casey Hampton, only a lot stronger. My thinking is that if you are going to groom a future NT why not get a guy that is strong as an ox, loves the weight room and has the ability to grow into an NFL nose tackle body. Casey is around for at least another two seasons as a starter and his understudy is only going to see limited snaps.

I think Owens is probably the one player best suited to grab in the middle rounds and be confident that he will be strong enough to play NT.

At times I think we all drool over the 320 - 330 lb NT's. I am comfortable with taking a guy who can mature into that weight range.

MIsi is going to be good. He compares to David Veikune from last draft and that scares me. I think he will eventually scream up the boards into the second round. Hell I think I would even take him in the second.

Regarding CB, I just dont see Wilson or McCourty as value at #18. If the trade up wasnt on ( I make the trade up so the Jags can get a 2nd round pick to land TEBOW) I would trade down. IMO I think there are really on 15 genuine blue chip first rounders. Trade down and I could see a CB in the first plus 2 great picks in the 2nd.

NOTE: I thought you might have jumped on me for the Jason Fox pick.

Northside Jonny
03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Aussie I believe this draft is way to deep to be giving pick away.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Aussie I believe this draft is way to deep to be giving pick away.

I think the current Steeler roster is way to deep and way too committed financially to many starters to justify keeping all ten picks.

I just dont see the steelers sitting on their picks and adding 10 players, of which 4 may have a realistic chance of landing on the roster.

Truth be told, I nearly threw in another trade to get another pick in the 3rd.

With the way the cap is I think this draft is the one where the steelers grab a true stud, pay him a good sigining bonus and build the next 10 years around him. To me that player is Rolando McClain.

I also think ( not that I want to give up on him) but you might see Limas Sweed thrown into a trade scenario come draft day.

I would totally advocate two aggressive moves come draft day where two genuine targets are landed. ( I am a little bit tired of seeing 2nd & 3rd round picks not panning out. This is the year I would swing for a home run)

tony hipchest
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
i love the idea of trading up. 2nd and 3rd round picks have almost been throw away picks in recent years.

alonozo, ricardo, mcfadden, a. smith, sweed, b. davis, then count the picks traded to move up for troy and santonio, and our 2nd traded away last year. we still have two thirds from last year who have never played and i will throw hills into there for good measure.

i cant even see how 5 of our 10 draft picks make the team w/o cutting 2nd or 3rd year players. as good as we are finding an UDFA to make the team every year it seems, i would love if we could keep our 2nd and trade picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds along with our 1st.

either way, the last thing i wanna do is move back in the draft to acquire more picks. we already got urbick and lewis.

I also think ( not that I want to give up on him) but you might see Limas Sweed thrown into a trade scenario come draft day.

to the titans or bills (although the bills have hardy). if the bears had a pick to give away, i bet they would jump on this. if the seahawks dont get marshall they could show some interrest. i still think v. young will lobby hard for him, though. i have a feeling if he goes somewhere that he is automatically penciled in as a #2 or #3 wr, his depression will fade, and his focus will come back.

tony hipchest
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
aussi- i just looked at the value chart.

our 2nd is worth 400 which perfectly gets us to the 10th spot.

our 3rd,4th, & 5th = 278 pts (300 would get us to 12th)

being that frisco would like an OT and a S like mays or CB like wilson/haden they might be willing to move back.

im trying to think of teams between 10-17 who need an abundance of picks. not coming up with much.

trading sweed to the rams could move us up early in the 3rd round though. that will be the day everyone gets all night to rearange their boards and give long and hard thought to evaluate the talent still left. i would love an early thrd instead of mid round.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
i love the idea of trading up. 2nd and 3rd round picks have almost been throw away picks in recent years.

alonozo, ricardo, mcfadden, a. smith, sweed, b. davis, then count the picks traded to move up for troy and santonio, and our 2nd traded away last year. we still have two thirds from last year who have never played and i will throw hills into there for good measure.

i cant even see how 5 of our 10 draft picks make the team w/o cutting 2nd or 3rd year players. as good as we are finding an UDFA to make the team every year it seems i would love if we could keep our 2nd and trade picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds along with our 1st.

either way, the last thing i wanna do is move back in the draft to acquire more picks. we already got urbick and lewis.

For the fans who have written off Urbik, I say be warned.

Urbick is a true RG. Many people on this board have totally written off Urbik because he was beat out by Ramon Foster last season for playing time. If people were able to sit back and analyse the situation there was a simple explanation. Five starters plus two backups on game day. One backup who could handle center and guard ( legursky) and one that could handle left / right tackle and guard ( Foster). Urbik is a right guard / tackle so he got beat out by a man with left tackle experience.

If Trae Essex was looking over his shoulder at any one player this training camp it will be Kraig Urbik ( a true right guard).

Keenan Lewis was hampered by injury and the presence of a wily vet in Deshea Townsend helped contribute to his 2009 campaign. Burnett and Lewis will be given every chance to compete and any corner back will look better with a healthy Troy and a returning Ryan Clark returning to the safety positions.

Tony the way I look at this draft is to:

1: see what position will definitely need to be replaced with a starter in 2- 3 years. To me that is:

Hole 1 * James Farrior - Timmons inherits that role next year so another starting ILB is needed.

Hole 2 * RIght Guard - plenty of competition on the roster for Trae Essex coming from Urbik, Legursky.

Hole 3 * Nose Tackle - Casey has 2 good years left. Start grooming his replacement sooner rather than later.

Hole 4 * Center - I think Legursky is going to be the man. Why else would AQ SHipley bail ship and run to another team. He knew realistically what his prospects were going to be.

2. Holes the team has now after free agency:

Hole 1: #2 CB - open competition between Gay, Lewis and Burnett. I can live with that

Hole 2: #2 RB - the steelers always find a way to unearth UDFA gems. Redman has a chance.

Hole 3: # OLB depth - is anyone truly comfortable with what sits behind Harrison and Woodley?

This squad is good. A few minor tweaks now and solid planning for the future will ensure that in 5 years time we are still talking realistically about a steelers squad that is a genuine superbowl candidate.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
aussi- i just looked at the value chart.

our 2nd is worth 400 which perfectly gets us to the 10th spot.

our 3rd,4th, & 5th = 278 pts (300 would get us to 12th)

being that frisco would like an OT and a S like mays or CB like wilson/haden they might be willing to move back.

im trying to think of teams between 10-17 who need an abundance of picks. not coming up with much.

trading sweed to the rams could move us up early in the 3rd round though. that will be the day everyone gets all night to rearange their boards and give long and hard thought to evaluate the talent still left. i would love an early thrd instead of mid round.

Sweed might only be worth a 4th or 5th rounder at this point. I too can seem him being used to move up a bit in round 3 or 4.

The Jags have no 2nd round pick. If they want Tebow it has to be in the 2nd. He would bankrupt that organisation if he were to be drafted in the first. Yes he would bring fans in the gate but talent wise the roster would be signifcantly weaker.

I say bring on the TRADE UP and bring it on more than once.

Northside Jonny
03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
The only team who poses a real threat to us landing McClain is Denver. I would love to see us trade Sweed and get something for him instead of outright cutting him. The prospect of him going to Tenn. is interesting I kinda forgot about the Texas connection. I just don't know if the Titans want two headcases. If we do trade Sweed I would like the picks to be in next years draft. Because like you stated there really isn't much room for new player on this team at the moment.

Well thought out Aussie thanks.

Aussie_steeler
03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
The only team who poses a real threat to us landing McClain is Denver. I would love to see us trade Sweed and get something for him instead of outright cutting him. The prospect of him going to Tenn. is interesting I kinda forgot about the Texas connection. I just don't know if the Titans want two headcases. If we do trade Sweed I would like the picks to be in next years draft. Because like you stated there really isn't much room for new player on this team at the moment.

Well thought out Aussie thanks.

I can see McClain ranging from #5 with the chiefs all the way to the Giants at #15.

The only potentially trading partner for the steelers is the JAGS. The Seahawks and 49ers are going to stay put and load up in my view. I can see the Giants looking to move up for McClain. If he is gone I see them taking Weatherspoon.

Sweed unfortunately is not going to be worth much. The vultures are going to sit back and pick up the unwanted carcass.

Set-Man
03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
These are all nice draft ideas but the real weakness in the team is the secondary. None of the dbs can make a play on the ball, they only tackle after the catch and run. Gay isn't fit to be a starter but can replace Townsend. We need a quality corner across from Ike. We won't get one in free agency so we have to get one as a first or second round draft pick.

If we are able to we should make a play for Haden if he is within our reach.

If McClain falls to us that would be a no-brainer.

Otherwise Lupati would probaby make some sense.

Aussie_steeler
03-14-2010, 03:09 AM
These are all nice draft ideas but the real weakness in the team is the secondary. None of the dbs can make a play on the ball, they only tackle after the catch and run. Gay isn't fit to be a starter but can replace Townsend. We need a quality corner across from Ike. We won't get one in free agency so we have to get one as a first or second round draft pick.

If we are able to we should make a play for Haden if he is within our reach.

If McClain falls to us that would be a no-brainer.

Otherwise Lupati would probaby make some sense.

I think the real weakness of our secondary was the loss of Troy and the absolute inability of his backup to cover the middle of the field. With the Free safety having to cover up those mistakes it left the corners all alone out on an island. That is why Gay got abused. Put Troy and Ryan back on the field and we get the Gay of 2008 who allowed the Front office to let McFadden walk to the cards. A solid CB who can be competitive.

The two real options IMO in the first are Inside Linebacker ( McClain) or Cornerback ( Haden, Wilson or McCourty) as you have indicated.

The two guys you trade up for are Haden or McClain. I have gone McClain because Tomlin has already declared his man crush for him and I think he is the leader that will be needed to QB the defence when Farrior moves on.

Dont get me wrong - I would be totally happy if a trade up occured and either McClain or Haden were taken. I would be ecstatic.

I dont think Iupati is an option as Kemo is signed as our Left Guard and behind Essex sits Urbik as the Right Guard. Pouncey makes more sense to me than Iupati but not at #18.

As I have said previously, I can see some potential in Lewis and Burnett and I think one steps up to compete with Gay. I also think Haden is gone before a suitable trade partner can be found (Haden goes inside the top 10).

I am already on the record as saying that if we dont land a stud ILB this year then I want McClain's partner in crime, Donta Hightower next year. If you gave me Haden this year and Hightower next year and I would be as happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t.

Set -man - thanks for the feedback. It is nice to get back to some reasonable discussion and debate in the warroom. I was getting real tired of the blind pimping of individual players without any real desire to put forward the pro's and con's of potential scenarios.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-14-2010, 05:10 AM
I have gotta believe that Troupe will be gone by the 4th. My real dark horse for our NT pick is actually Jeff Owens out of Georgia.

He is currently listed at 6'1 305 lbs but he reminds me a lot of a young Casey Hampton, only a lot stronger. My thinking is that if you are going to groom a future NT why not get a guy that is strong as an ox, loves the weight room and has the ability to grow into an NFL nose tackle body. Casey is around for at least another two seasons as a starter and his understudy is only going to see limited snaps.

I think Owens is probably the one player best suited to grab in the middle rounds and be confident that he will be strong enough to play NT.

At times I think we all drool over the 320 - 330 lb NT's. I am comfortable with taking a guy who can mature into that weight range.

MIsi is going to be good. He compares to David Veikune from last draft and that scares me. I think he will eventually scream up the boards into the second round. Hell I think I would even take him in the second.

Regarding CB, I just dont see Wilson or McCourty as value at #18. If the trade up wasnt on ( I make the trade up so the Jags can get a 2nd round pick to land TEBOW) I would trade down. IMO I think there are really on 15 genuine blue chip first rounders. Trade down and I could see a CB in the first plus 2 great picks in the 2nd.

NOTE: I thought you might have jumped on me for the Jason Fox pick.

I loved Jason Fox this last year and think that he would have been a second rounder if not for the medical issues...that being said...I have taken him off my draft board until I hear more about the heart problem.

If he is medically cleared...he would be a steal in the 3rd round...much less the 5th!!!

pete74
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
That mock looks great but the reality is that even all those players look good and we think they will help us it's doubtful that even 2 of them will start 2 years after we draft them. The 2006 draft we took 9 players, 2 start, 4 are out of the league and 3 are on other teams. The reality is that most of the players that look great to us now won't make it as starters in the NFL. Out of our last 41 draft picks 10 start. The steelers usually draft well in the 1st but after that our track record isn't the best. I remember last year falling in love with Tyson Jackson and BJ Raji. They were both top 10 picks and myself and every sports writer thought would make an immediate impact on the defense who picked them but they were both invisible most of the season. All I'm saying is it's hard to get excited about all these players who look so good right now because ther not all going to look the same next season in the NFL

taztroy43
03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Its 2010 and so far I have failed to submit a mock draft. When better than Senior Bowl week to submit my first detailed effort. Here goes.

at the #18 spot I see the Steelers sitting in that first round grey zone where the BPA could vary from OT, FS, CB, DE, DT, NT, WR or OLB. An endless set of combinations is possible.

My mock draft is aimed at ensuring that the first 5 picks all wind up on the 53 man roster to start the season. They will all target current holes in the roster and be able to contribute in some role through out the season. The next set of picks are all players that will be given a legitimate chance to compete with fringe players and worst case scenario be practice squad material.

I see key targets like McClain, Haden and Thomas being taken before the #18 pick. I currently see the pick being between Dan Williams NT, Bryan Bulaga OT and Mike Iupati OG. I am still tossing up between Bulaga and Iupati, protecting Bens blindside or punching huge running lanes in the interior of the line. I want to say Iupati but I think you err on the side of protecting your billionaire QB.

Tossing a coin I pick

Rd 1
Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6’6 312lbs

(if Willie Colon is lost then Bulaga earns his roster spot. If Willie Colon is resigned then Tony Hills is the man to make way for Bulaga)

The next pick has to be a FS or NT. The only possible option at NT is Terrance Cody and I just don’t see the durability there. The secondary needs to be strengthened and a backup FS who can step in and start in 2011 is a must. The best pure cover FS at this point has to be;

Rd 2
Nate Allen FS South Florida 6’1 205 lbs

(if Ryan Clark walks then Nate Allen is competing for a starting position. If Clark stays as expected then Ryan Mundy is the odd man out)

The third round pick has to be a sure fire pick for the future and I see no better pick than getting a stout NT who can immediately challenge Hoke for the backup role and step in to replace Casey in 2011 (after he has been tagged and released in the 2010 season) A solid senior bowl week has solidified this NT back into the 3rd ranking for the 3-4 NT position.

Rd 3
Cam Thomas DT North Carolina 6’4 331 lb

(if Casey leaves then Chris Hoke starts with Thomas his understudy. If Casey stays then I think Hoke is on the outer)

Going into the fourth round the next hole that has to be filled on the current roster is SS. Tyrone Carter has been a valued member of the roster for a long while. Unfortunately time has caught up with Carters body and unfortunately his football instincts are not translating to his legs and feet. The guy who backs Troy needs to be strong in the box and a man who can run with a teams TE and cover the middle of the field. In the 4th the best man I see available is

Rd 4
Reshad Jones SS Georgia 6’2 212 lbs

(Reshad Jones immediately makes Tyrone Carter expendable. At this point in the draft the safety positions on the team have been significantly bolstered and depth is no longer a concern.)

The holes that remain on the roster now in my view are;

#2 RB ( I think that between Moore, Redman and Vincent things look OK)
#2 TE ( McHugh and Johnson are blocking TE’s. A hands guys might be needed)

Competition is needed at;

# 3 / 4 outside linebacker
# 4 ILB
#4 WR
#3 QB (l Batch comes back I believe)

The next 6 picks are all guys who are not expected to land on the roster but will give great competition and would not surprise to score a ticket to playing on Sunday’s

Round 5a
Jermaine Cunningham DE /OLB Florida 6’3 252lbs

An intriguing undersized DE from the SEC. Has very good pass rush skills and has plenty of potential. The steelers always reach for a DE convert ( eg Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis…) so a guy like Cunningham in the 5th is not going to break the bank if he falls short. I would have liked to take a guy like Koa Misi in the 4th but I see SS as a slightly more pressing need. Granted if a starting OLB goes down we are in trouble but either Bailey or Frazier are better equipped to start and maintain some pressure.

Round 5b
Dorin Dickerson FB / HB / WR Pittsburgh 6’1 222

This guy has wowed plenty of scouts at the senior bowl. Trying out for the first time as a slot receiver and by all reports he has made some of the touted secondary prospects look second rate. Dickerson is a Hines Ward type receiver who is not scared to go into traffic or take on the hard blocks. This guy will be a huge sleeper for whoever drafts him.

Round 5c
Adrian Tracey OLB William & Mary 6’3 243

This guy is my first real bolter of the draft. Mike Tomlin loves his W & M alum and this is his first real chance to give one of his schools players a chance. Tracey as a player could be considered this high with a good workout. He has the skills to compete as a 3-4 OLB.

Round 6
Stafon Johnson RB USC 5 11” 214

A high character guy who suffered a tragic accident in the weight room last year (dropped 250 lb weight on his throat whilst bench pressing. Has had numerous operations that have saved his life and voice). Johnson has great burst and can break a huge run once through the hole. Good in pass protection and shows great patience when running. Johnson is a quality RB that sat behind some good players at USC and was never given a real chance to showcase his talents. I think story may be a little Willie Parker like.

Round 7a
Nate Bynham TE Pittsburgh 6’4 268 lbs

Bynham is a hard working Tight end. He possesses solid blocking and pass catching skills. He is very similar to our current backup TE’s. With the depth in the receiving corp I just don’t see the #2 TE doing much more than blocking in the current system.

Round 7b
Matt Mayberry ILB Indianna 6’2 238 lbs

Good character guy who doesn’t have the measurables to wow the scouts. He is a leader and a player who might just overachieve if given a chance. Mayberry could well be that special team type player that works hard enough to work his way into a role on the team as a ILB.

Players who I like but cant find spots for at this point in time.

1. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6’2 219 lbs ( still my main pimp. Dickerson is just better value)
2. Cody Grimm SS Virginia Tech 5’11 210 lbs
3. Brett Swenson K Michigan State 5’8 173
4. Kade Weston DE Georgia 6’5 325 lb
5. Curtis Steele RB Memphis 6’0 190 lbs
6. Lee Campbell ILB Minnesota 6’3 246

With the 2011 draft in mind I have not jumped in the deep end for an inside linebacker. I have my eyes well and truly on Donta Hightower, Rolando McClain’s partner at Alabama. At 6’4 250 lbs he is every bit as skilled as Rolando McClain. He suffered a season ending injury this year last year, but at the start of the season he was as dominant as his sidekick in the middle linebacker position on the Tides dominant defence.

Look forward to any feedback.

Like the draft but I think Dorin Dickerson has no shot in falling to the 5th round!!! He had an excellent nfl combine and was probably in the top 5 fastest players there...and he was a TE!!! I do believe he will be a Hines Ward type receiver if we draft him...I agree with you a 110% there....but for me Dickerson will go between a 2nd to 4th round pick....he's too much of a talent to slip to the 5th.....remember with Dustin Keller(he had a similar combine) and I think he went in the 2nd or late 1st....can anyone confirm that(im too lazy to do it right no)....lol....but either way your mock is excellent in terms of what we need(position wise)....:thumbsup:.....I noticed you posted an updated mock and ill be checking that out aussie....

Aussie_steeler
03-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Like the draft but I think Dorin Dickerson has no shot in falling to the 5th round!!! He had an excellent nfl combine and was probably in the top 5 fastest players there...and he was a TE!!! I do believe he will be a Hines Ward type receiver if we draft him...I agree with you a 110% there....but for me Dickerson will go between a 2nd to 4th round pick....he's too much of a talent to slip to the 5th.....remember with Dustin Keller(he had a similar combine) and I think he went in the 2nd or late 1st....can anyone confirm that(im too lazy to do it right no)....lol....but either way your mock is excellent in terms of what we need(position wise)....:thumbsup:.....I noticed you posted an updated mock and ill be checking that out aussie....

Thanks Taztroy. That mock was posted in early January so many have moved, and none more so than Dickerson.

Our free agency wheelings and dealings have all but eliminated him from our radar.
I dont see a WR being taken now unless someone with a stunning grade falls a round or two and the steelers take them purely on value.

Aussie_steeler
03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
That mock looks great but the reality is that even all those players look good and we think they will help us it's doubtful that even 2 of them will start 2 years after we draft them. The 2006 draft we took 9 players, 2 start, 4 are out of the league and 3 are on other teams. The reality is that most of the players that look great to us now won't make it as starters in the NFL. Out of our last 41 draft picks 10 start. The steelers usually draft well in the 1st but after that our track record isn't the best. I remember last year falling in love with Tyson Jackson and BJ Raji. They were both top 10 picks and myself and every sports writer thought would make an immediate impact on the defense who picked them but they were both invisible most of the season. All I'm saying is it's hard to get excited about all these players who look so good right now because ther not all going to look the same next season in the NFL

Agree with you totally. I would sell this whole draft for two to three players that are on the team come 2012. I would love settle for McClain, Misi and a NT.

Last year I rode the runaway ALEX MACK train. This year there is so much talent that I really havent settled on one blind pimp. I will just advocate trading up and getting the player that is desperately wanted ( Haden or McClain). Hell I would even live with Taylor Mays if it happened.

jollyrob68
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
MAukice Pouncey covers 3 positions both Guars and Center which is our weakest spot on the line.

Set-Man
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I think the real weakness of our secondary was the loss of Troy and the absolute inability of his backup to cover the middle of the field. With the Free safety having to cover up those mistakes it left the corners all alone out on an island. That is why Gay got abused. Put Troy and Ryan back on the field and we get the Gay of 2008 who allowed the Front office to let McFadden walk to the cards. A solid CB who can be competitive.

The two real options IMO in the first are Inside Linebacker ( McClain) or Cornerback ( Haden, Wilson or McCourty) as you have indicated.

The two guys you trade up for are Haden or McClain. I have gone McClain because Tomlin has already declared his man crush for him and I think he is the leader that will be needed to QB the defence when Farrior moves on.

Dont get me wrong - I would be totally happy if a trade up occured and either McClain or Haden were taken. I would be ecstatic.

I dont think Iupati is an option as Kemo is signed as our Left Guard and behind Essex sits Urbik as the Right Guard. Pouncey makes more sense to me than Iupati but not at #18.

As I have said previously, I can see some potential in Lewis and Burnett and I think one steps up to compete with Gay. I also think Haden is gone before a suitable trade partner can be found (Haden goes inside the top 10).

I am already on the record as saying that if we dont land a stud ILB this year then I want McClain's partner in crime, Donta Hightower next year. If you gave me Haden this year and Hightower next year and I would be as happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t.

Set -man - thanks for the feedback. It is nice to get back to some reasonable discussion and debate in the warroom. I was getting real tired of the blind pimping of individual players without any real desire to put forward the pro's and con's of potential scenarios.

It may be because I spent a year in Australia:chuckle: I now have a new appreciation for Rugby/ Australian Rules Football!

Believe me it is going to be great to get Troy back but I feel the team should be able to compete without him. The way he plays he is going to get injured and be out. If we had another competent corner, could you imagine what our front 7 could do? Gay is perfect for Townsend' s spot. Harrison seemed to be so close to many more sacks with just an extra second. I do agree that Burnett and Lewis could be competitive but I haven't seen enough of them to be comfortable with making that call now. I am sure the front office is.

If McClain is available you would have to take him but I doubt he is. He would be awesome.

If the decision is Pouncey could we trade to move back in the first and up in the second and still get him? That would be ideal. There would be some great players in the first half of the second round.

jollyrob68
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
It may be because I spent a year in Australia:chuckle: I now have a new appreciation for Rugby/ Australian Rules Football!

Believe me it is going to be great to get Troy back but I feel the team should be able to compete without him. The way he plays he is going to get injured and be out. If we had another competent corner, could you imagine what our front 7 could do? Gay is perfect for Townsend' s spot. Harrison seemed to be so close to many more sacks with just an extra second. I do agree that Burnett and Lewis could be competitive but I haven't seen enough of them to be comfortable with making that call now. I am sure the front office is.

If McClain is available you would have to take him but I doubt he is. He would be awesome.

If the decision is Pouncey could we trade to move back in the first and up in the second and still get him? That would be ideal. There would be some great players in the first half of the second round.

I would trade back a few spots and get Pouncey. One problem is that more than one team needs Pouncey. Its been rumored that GB,NE,Dallas,INdy and Pit all want O lineman as well as CIncy. So they need to careful how far back they move. I'd love for them to get an additional rd 2 pick.
Troy being injured isnt what hurt the Steelers it was losing Aaron Smith. Thats not to say it didnt hurt losing troy but, in the past 3 years when Aaron Smith goes down so does the playoffs. With Aaron Smith out we went one & done and didnt make the playoffs. With Aaron Smith we WON THE SUPER BOWL. Our DL is old and we need to get the replacements ASAP. Last year we got Ziggy and hopefully we can see what Ra'shon Harris can do. This year if I selected Defense in the 1st rd it would be McClain or Haden if they slipped or JAred Odrick and Offense its Pouncey or CJ Spillar if he slipped.
What do you think about trying to trade Colon for a 2nd & 4th or Oaklands 2 3rd rounders?

Aussie_steeler
03-15-2010, 04:13 AM
With Larry Foote looking like he is to be resigned I am guessing the likely hood of getting McClain is now less of a priority. (I would still trade up for McClain or Haden. )

It looks like the FO is loading up for a crack at the title NOW. If it truly is a NOW philosophy the only first round players that I can see contributing to the 2010 campaign are Joe Haden and CJ Spiller.

In this cap friendly time is it totally out of this world that the new #2 RB could be a first round pick is who signed to a very friendly 2010 loaded contract???

It looks more like this draft is going to have a couple of moves forward to grab the chosen ones. The only problem I have is who could you trade with outside of Jacksonville??

Jollyrob - I just cant see Oakland giving up a 2 3rd round picks for Colon when they can draft a stud OT in round 1.

Northside Jonny
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Moving down for Pouncey is really starting to look like the most logical move IMO.

SteelMember
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
With Larry Foote looking like he is to be resigned I am guessing the likely hood of getting McClain is now less of a priority. (I would still trade up for McClain or Haden. )

I know we have been uncharteristic this year with all the FA signings, but until Larry gets his name on the contract, I'm not holding my breath. I think we'd be just buying some more time with him anyway. He's not the answer for the future.

Moving down for Pouncey is really starting to look like the most logical move IMO.

Unless we really want a CB, or OT.

Aussie_steeler
03-21-2010, 03:52 AM
I have been pimping Adrian Tracy all year as one of Mike Tomlins college alum picks.

Here is an interesting read on the William & Mary Pro day

http://flathatnews.com/content/73047

Early Wednesday morning, 20 NFL scouts, plus San Francisco 49ers Head Coach Mike Singletary, a Hall of Fame linebacker, watched intently as seven Tribe seniors attempted to improve their professional football prospects at William and Mary’s annual Pro Day at Zable Stadium.

No Mike Tomlin in attendance. Looks like my initial claims of Tomlin possibly chasing a W&M alum were way off the mark.

“It was definitely exciting,” Tracy, an All-CAA honoree, said. “A lot of people think William and Mary is an academic school and that we don’t really have athletes. It was nice for them to see that we do have athletes that can play with the highest levels of competition, and it definitely felt good to have a chance to showcase the talent.”

Tracy, who was the only Tribe player to also work out at the NFL combine in February, used Wednesday’s Pro Day as a chance to improve his standing with scouts who took notice of him over the year. Although Tracy chose not to participate in any combine drills Wednesday, he ran through several position drills as scouts looked on.

During the combine, Tracy recorded a 40-yard dash time of 4.76 seconds, a vertical jump of 35.5 inches and 20 reps on the 225-pound bench press. CBS Sports currently projects Tracy as a sixth or seventh-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

“I’ve had a lot of positive feedback from everyone who was here, and if they didn’t speak to me here, they spoke to me at the combine,” Tracy said. “The positive feedback I have had from everybody is definitely a confidence booster, making me feel like I do belong, and that all the hard work has paid off to certain extent. But there is still more work to be done.”

Keep an eye on this player to see where he lands. He is attracting a little bit of attention.

Texasteel
03-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Could be Aussie that Tomlin's been watching him all year, and feels he know all he needs to know about the young man.

Still think he could be a good pick, but may not be a sleeper much longer.