PDA

View Full Version : O-Line / Kraig Urbik

Northside Jonny
01-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Chances are Willie C is on his way out and the steelers have a new Oline coach. I'm pretty sure that all spots on the Oline are gonna be up for grabs this year at training camp. I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore about Krag Urbik as far as his ability to possibly become a starter in 2010. He was the 15th player taken in the third round last year so im guessing he is no slouch. Yes I know he is listed as RG. There are three RG's listed on the steelers site. I was just curious about Urbik . But as a whole who stays who goes on the O-Line ?

7willBheaven
01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Unless something major happens or for whatever reason they no longer want him, Colon isnt going anywhere. Unless by i think its March 5th a new CBA is reached then Colon is an RFA. I just dont see them letting one of the better/more consistent OL players go. He's improved a lot of the years to become a above average RT...though some say he should be an RG. It really depends what they do in the draft as far as what happens as a whole to the OL. If they was to land a stud OT or something in the 1st...or a C (like Pouncey) in the 2nd...if they do...it could effect things somewhat...if they dont get a stud or high end/high numbered OL pick then the only position I really see changing is RG...and maybe to a much lesser extent C...if they feel Legursky can do the job or not. RG could have a 3 way battle Essex vs. Urbik vs. Foster (I dont think Stapleton has a chance at RG...he stunk there)...which pretty much would be Essex vs. Urbik as i dont think Foster has good enough feet to be a permanent starter. I hear Urbik was pretty good in college and should be a good pro, with a year in the system he could be ready to go...we'll have to wait and see though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I watched Urbik a few games in 2008 as well as the Senior Bowl and combine. He was solid, nasty and even handled Ziggy Hood 1 on 1 a few times in the Senior Bowl practice. I think the kid is gonna be a solid pro.....probaby never a pro bowler, but just a guy that has a 10 year career at OG. Give him time. Here is his scouting report.

Kraig Urbik (OT)
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 328
College: Wisconsin
Conference: Big 10
Hometown: Hudson, WI
High School: Hudson HS
View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 5.3 seconds
Bench Press : 29.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 24.0 inches
Broad Jump : 94.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.87 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.89 seconds

Round: 3
Pick (Overall): 15 (79)
Discuss Pick Analysis: The former Badger is a tough, blue-collar player with the ability to create a push along the line. Though he has limited athleticism, he gives the team a quality young player with the potential to develop into a versatile starter.
Overview

When Urbik's streak of 45 consecutive starts came to an end when he injured his knee vs. Penn State in 2008, the Badgers' midseason struggles began. Without their offensive leader, Wisconsin lost five of six contests before a fully recovered Urbik, the right offensive guard, guided the team to a 3-1 record to close out the season.

Wisconsin has been known for developing quite a bit of offensive line talent for the NFL ever since former head coach Barry Alvarez arrived on campus. A member of that renowned coach's best recruiting class, Urbik was the first Badger freshman to start at offensive tackle since All-American Chris McIntosh did in 1996. Urbik would go on to start 16 games at right tackle and 34 at right guard during his career -- and that versatility has made him one of the most coveted linemen in the 2009 NFL Draft.http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/kraig-urbik?id=71495#profiles-tabs:players-overview

Chidi29
01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with 7Will. Colon was more than solid for us this year; why would he go anywhere? Heck, we put a first round tender on him last season when he was playing at a much lower level. Why on earth would we let him get away now?

I never liked Urbik. Relied too much on brute strength in college. He was able to get by on that, but won't in the pros. Stiff and doesn't move his feet well. I watched him trip and fall on multiple occassions on pulls in the preseason.

Psyychoward86
01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Chances are Willie C is on his way out

You know he's one of the better pass blocking O-linemen and our 2nd best run-blocker right?

MasterOfPuppets
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
i do find it a bit discouraging that urbik couldn't earn a uni over a udfa foster. i hope it was more about learning blocking assignments than it was about lack of athleticism.:doh:

Northside Jonny
01-30-2010, 02:01 AM
I honestly thought Willie had a great season it just looks like he might be on his way out. shoot he may be better than Max. Hopefully we end up having more very good linemen than we know what to do with. That is what I wanted to know master why was he not starting when Trai went down hopefully it was that he was not drafted to start right away and it was just a learning year.

supa_fly_steeler
01-30-2010, 05:48 AM
we need to resign him, alot of mendenhalls long runs were not just due to mendy breaking tackles but colon, if you watched the san diego game he tore apart those defensive ends lol made them look like goose chicken

Galax Steeler
01-30-2010, 06:16 AM
I would love to see Urbik get some playing time this year we spent a 3rd round on him and now it is time to see what he has.

7willBheaven
01-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Also i think with the who dressed and who didnt...it depended on what positions they could play. Legursky always dressed because he can play C (along with G)...Foster dressed because he played BOTH G positions and RT (maybe LT too, not sure). Urbik from my knowledge was only a RG and possible RT guy. The only few times either Urbik or even Hills dressed was when one of our starters were down (i THINK Urbik dressed more than Hills but i'm not sure). It doesnt necessarily mean they cant play or were a wasted pick or anything, its just based on the teams need of a backup on game day!

OneForTheToe
01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Also i think with the who dressed and who didnt...it depended on what positions they could play. Legursky always dressed because he can play C (along with G)...Foster dressed because he played BOTH G positions and RT (maybe LT too, not sure). Urbik from my knowledge was only a RG and possible RT guy. The only few times either Urbik or even Hills dressed was when one of our starters were down (i THINK Urbik dressed more than Hills but i'm not sure). It doesnt necessarily mean they cant play or were a wasted pick or anything, its just based on the teams need of a backup on game day!

I'm not too worried yet about Urbik. He was a rookie last year. Remember how long it took Kemo to get the thinking part down? He is still not the most cerebral linemen around, but he has figured out the mental aspect enough to stay on the field, where he can maul players in the run game. Urbik could be the same way down the road.

Hills is the one I am concerned about. It is getting to the make or break point for him. At the very least he needs to prove he could be a reliable back-up this season, imo. I understand that the fact that he can only play tackle is limiting as far as being active in game day. However, the question is do the Steelers trust him if one of our tackles go down and misses an entire game (Obviously, he is not the option to finish a game if one of them gets hurt, since he wasn't active most game days)? Fortunatly, Starks and Colon stayed healthy last year so we didn't need to find out. Still, was Hills the option if either would have missed a full game? Or, was the planed option to have Essex slide out?

Psyychoward86
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I honestly thought Willie had a great season it just looks like he might be on his way out. shoot he may be better than Max. Hopefully we end up having more very good linemen than we know what to do with. That is what I wanted to know master why was he not starting when Trai went down hopefully it was that he was not drafted to start right away and it was just a learning year.

how does it even look remotely that way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM

I think he isnt sure that Colon will get a new deal this year. I dont think he knows that Colon is a Restricted FA because of the labour issues. All the Steelers have to do is give Colon a qualifying offer again this year to keep him with the Steelers.

Still means that they can negotiate a new deal after they see how the draft shakes out. Eg, if they cant sign Hampton and end up going forward with Hoke and Dan Williams at NT.....the Steelers may then have the $$$ to sign Colon to a long term deal.

I think they want to keep Colon, but back to the point to this thread. Urbik is no freakish athlete, but a big mauler. He apparently struggled with getting off the line and maybe its because he didnt have a handle on the playbook, or something else. I still think Urbik will be the RG of the future.

OneForTheToe
01-30-2010, 11:36 AM
The other thing you have to remember about Urbik is that the Steelers didn't need him last year. They probably gave him a once over in camp as far as being a starter. (OG and NT are the last two positions I can remember the Steelers starting a rookie from the get-go). Once they knew he would be a bit of a project there was no need to do anything but bring him along slowly. Foster was helped that he could play another position. And, maybe he picked up the play book quicker. Again, I just go back to Kemo. His first few years he was so lost he couldn't get on the field. Now he is on the verge of being pretty good - especially as a run blocker.

Psyychoward86
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
The other thing you have to remember about Urbik is that the Steelers didn't need him last year. They probably gave him a once over in camp as far as being a starter. (OG and NT are the last two positions I can remember the Steelers starting a rookie from the get-go). Once they knew he would be a bit of a project there was no need to do anything but bring him along slowly. Foster was helped that he could play another position. And maybe he picked up the play book quicker. again, I just go back to Kemo. His first few years he was so lost he couldn't get on the field. now he is on the verge of being very pretty good - especially as a run blocker.

He's more than on the verge of pretty good. When it comes to run-blocking, he's pro-bowl caliber.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM

Didn't Foster play LT in the first game against the Bengals?

I know that he at least played there late in the preseason and is capable of playing anything but center. Which, like you said, is a big reason why he made the team and dressed. Because of his and Legursky's versatility, we only had to carry two active backup lineman.

I didn't think Urbik dressed at all this year. And I think Hills only dressed once in one of the final games of the season.

7willBheaven
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Didn't Foster play LT in the first game against the Bengals?

I know that he at least played there late in the preseason and is capable of playing anything but center. Which, like you said, is a big reason why he made the team and dressed. Because of his and Legursky's versatility, we only had to carry two active backup lineman.

I didn't think Urbik dressed at all this year. And I think Hills only dressed once in one of the final games of the season.

Not sure about Foster as an LT...i do know for a handful of games they brought in an extra lineman for an unbalanced line, but i dont think he actually was the official LT. And yes Urbik dressed at least 1-2 times same for Hills...during the time Kemo was out those handful of games.

Northside Jonny
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM

NOW I THINK THEY WILL SAVE THE MONEY THEY WOULD SPEND ON CASEY AND GIVE IT TO WC. BECAUSE CASEY IS GOING ALL ALAN FANECA