View Full Version : NT Hampton doesn't want the franchise tag

mesaSteeler
01-30-2010, 01:30 AM
NT Hampton doesn't want the franchise tag
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_664811.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 30, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. The Steelers want Casey Hampton, an unrestricted free agent, to return to the team. The Pro Bowl nose tackle wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

How the two sides arrive at that common ground is where it gets a little complicated and potentially messy.

Hampton said Friday "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag and offer him a one-year contract instead of signing the accomplished veteran to a multi-year deal.

"You say we're family, and you'll take care of me. All I've done for this organization, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

A franchise tag would essentially prevent Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

Hampton didn't elaborate when asked if he would skip offseason practices most of which are voluntary or hold out of training camp should the Steelers use a franchise tag on him.

"It will be an issue," he said. "I told (the Steelers) that."

If the Steelers tag the 32-year-old Hampton, they have to offer him a one-year contract that's the average of the top five salaries made by defensive linemen in 2009. That figure will be released next week by the NFL Players' Association.

Hampton, who signed a five-year contract with the Steelers in 2005, made just more than $4 million last season.

The Steelers used a franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks last February to extend their negotiating period with him. They signed Starks to a four-year contract in June.

Hampton said he doesn't want the Steelers to take the same approach with him.

If the two sides can't reach an agreement on a long-term contract before early March, Hampton said, the organization should let the player known as "Big Snack" shop his services elsewhere.

"I believe they're going to try to get something done. But at the end of the day, if the two sides don't come to terms, let me see what's out there," said Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler. "Don't hold me back because you didn't want to sign me before the (2009) season. It's your time to make it right. That's how I see it."

The Steelers declined comment yesterday, citing their policy of not talking about contract negotiations.

The Steelers traditionally don't sign players in their 30s to long-term deals, though they have made exceptions in recent years with linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior.

The organization is in a delicate situation with Hampton. His backup, Chris Hoke, is less than a year younger than Hampton, and finding a capable replacement for the 6-foot-1, 325-pounder in this year's draft is not exactly a sound contingency plan.

"Everybody wants one, but there is just not a lot to go around," ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay said of nose tackles. "That's the one spot that's so hard to find a guy that's big and is a good football player."

Hampton has been both since the Steelers took him with the 19th overall pick of the 2001 draft.

The former Texas star has been a vital part of their 3-4 defense because of his ability to occupy multiple blockers and stand his ground at the line of scrimmage.

Hampton is coming off one of his better seasons he had 42 tackles and a career-high 2.5 sacks in 2009 and he said he has plenty of good years left provided he stays healthy.

Nose tackle is a critical if unsung position in the base defense the Steelers play. Enhancing Hampton's value is the trend that has seen more teams switch to the 3-4 alignment that the Steelers use.

"He's definitely one of the top nose tackles in this league," said Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff, who also will play Sunday in the Pro Bowl. "I watch him, and I learn from him. A guy that size you don't expect him to move the way he does."

Hampton said he isn't in a hurry to leave the Steelers. But, he added, it comes down to the Steelers showing him the same commitment he has given them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right, and I'm big on that," Hampton said. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that.

"Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."

Note: The Steelers hired Jerry Olsavsky yesterday to be their defensive quality control coach. Olsavsky fills the spot on Mike Tomlin's staff left by Lou Spanos' departure. Spanos recently became the Washington Redskins' linebackers coach. Olsavsky played linebacker for the Steelers from 1989-1997. A former Pitt star, Olsavsky coached at Youngstown State last season.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

mesaSteeler
01-30-2010, 01:32 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/01/30/hampton-speaks-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Hampton speaks out
January 30th, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton talked to the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice Friday about his future with the team.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, but the Steelers can essentially lock him up for another season by using a franchise tag on him.

If the Steelers, who want to bring Hampton back, go in that direction they will have to offer the ninth-year veteran a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries paid to defensive linemen in 2009.

Hampton said during the season that he didn’t want the Steelers to tag him. The five-time Pro Bowler reiterated that stance with some pointed comments and elaborated on why he is so against the Steelers using a franchise tag on him.

Here is a transcript of Hampton's chat with the Tribune-Review:

Do you think you’re coming back?

“I hope so. It’s on them. It’s out of my hands now. It’s all about them doing the right thing and making it right and then we can go from there.”

You’ve said you don’t want the Steelers to use a franchise tag on you. Why is that?

“Why franchise me? You didn’t feel that strong about signing me before the season so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now? That’s how I look at it.”

It’s a fairness issue in your mind?

“You say we’re family and you’ll take care of me, all I’ve done for this organization, and I feel like that’s a slap in my face if you franchise me. That’s just not right. You don’t do business like that.”

If the Steelers take that route …

“It will be an issue, I told them that. It’s going be a problem if I get franchised.”

As in holdout?

“As in it’s going to be a problem. I strongly disagree with that.”

What if they franchise you with the idea that it will buy them more time to negotiate a long-term deal?

“I don’t want none of that. If (no contract before March 5) then let me do what I’m going to do. I believe they’re going to try to get something done. But at the end of the day, if the two sides don’t come to terms. let me see what’s out there. Don’t hold me back because you didn’t want to sign me before the (2009) season. Don’t try to hold me back now off of something you did earlier. I didn’t have nothing to do with that. I came in and played every year, so it’s your time to make it right. That’s how I see it.”

Was it tough watching a handful of your teammates get new contracts last year?

“It’s not tough on me at all because I know what I can do and I know what I’m capable of doing. I’m big on not worrying about what other guys are getting and what other guys are doing. I’m worried about me, and I feel like I didn’t get signed before the season, and I think they know I wasn’t too happy about that. I went through all last season with no security, so I feel like you’ve got to make right by getting the deal done and taking care of me or letting me see what it’s going to be.”

Did you stick it to the Steelers by having the kind of season you did in 2009?

“No, man. I love the Steelers. I love the organization, I love the owners, I love the coaches. I love everything about Pittsburgh, but it’s all about being fair and doing what’s right and I’m big on that. I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do since I’ve been here, so don’t stick me in the end and try to do me bad by trying to hold me (back) because you didn’t get the deal done before the (2009) season. I don’t think that’s right.”

Do you have an idea of how many good years you have left?

“As long as I stay healthy, I’m good. That’s the main thing. I don’t hurt when I walk around or nothing like that. It’s just staying healthy. I want to be in Pittsburgh. There’s no question about that. Can we make it right? That’s what it’s going to boil down to.”

Do you want to retire as a Steeler?

“No question but I want to be treated fair and I think franchising me is not fair. They say we’re going to get (a deal) done so we’ll see.”

steelreserve
01-30-2010, 01:44 AM
OK ... so on the one hand, you've made it pretty clear you want to press your leverage as far as you can to get more money. On the other hand, you don't think other people should use their leverage on you. Hey, I wish the world worked that way for me too, so I could demand to be paid whatever I want.

MasterOfPuppets
01-30-2010, 01:46 AM
wow....fat snack kinda sounds just like faneca did...:doh:

they always say its nothing personal, just business. his attitude kinda makes it sound like its personal.

the interviewer should have asked if its fair to the steelers when he reports to camp out of shape and leaving them to wonder about his committment to the team and football.

if they aren't planning on retaining fat snack, why not tag him and try to trade him ? it seems to work with other teams... if they can't get a trade done, pull the tag off him and let the greedy bastard go....:noidea:
god firbid the poor bastard should have to play for a season for a measily 6 or 7 mill ...3 or 4 buffets and he'd be broke...

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2010, 03:17 AM
if they can't get a trade done, pull the tag off him and let the greedy bastard go....:noidea:
god firbid the poor bastard should have to play for a season for a measily 6 or 7 mill ...3 or 4 buffets and he'd be broke...

Sounds very much like Faneca. If that is the way he thinks then I am guessing he has outpriced himself for the steelers. I can read between the lines and he wants to be paid a cheque like Haynesworth got from the skins.

That works out to be 9 years service (max) with the steelers so he would still earn a 3rd round compensation pick next year. (better than nothing - which could happen if it was played tough)

It hurts me to say this but - Let him go, thank him very much for his year of service and move forward in the draft.

Northside Jonny
01-30-2010, 03:38 AM
See ya Casey if that is how it is . Go and be like all the others who chase the dollar and leave the Burgh. I sure remember alot of players leaving the steel city and doin jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OneForTheToe
01-30-2010, 04:08 AM
I just want to let it be known that if they put the franchise tag on me when my contract here is up I won't object. I mean, sure I might get more elsewhere, but, hey, I'm not greedy.:wink02:

supa_fly_steeler
01-30-2010, 06:44 AM
sounds like has gone then.

stupid asshole the Steelers do everything right, if we franchise you, you can play or can cry in the corner, you dont so much money anymore how much have u earned casey the past 10 years was there not enough mcdonalds visits???????? did you want to buy the franchise out.

geeze he sounds like Faneca a few years back. next year i hope mendenhall slips past him in the endzone to send us the super bowl. I bet he wish he would of taken that tag then

Galax Steeler
01-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Sounds to me like Hampton needs some cheese to go with that whine.:crying01:

HometownGal
01-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Wow. I shouldn't say that I'm shocked at Snacker's attitude, but I am. As others have said, he sounds eerily familiar to Faneca. :horror:

You have two options Casey my man. Be a professional, take the tag and continue to try to come to terms with the Steelers or take a hike.

SMR
01-30-2010, 08:15 AM
See ya Casey if that is how it is . Go and be like all the others who chase the dollar and leave the Burgh. I sure remember alot of players leaving the steel city and doin jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yeah, I hate it when they do that! That is why Bettis is my favorite player of all time. Not only was he a TRUE STILLER, but he even took a pay cut TWICE to stay with the team! That is loyalty, my man!
:helmet::helmet::helmet:

zulater
01-30-2010, 08:23 AM
This is probably even stupid for me to ask/suggest? But if Aaron Smith comes back healthy, you've got Ziggy who's probably ready to be a major factor in the defense, Keisel's pretty solid at RDE. So how about you do some sort of 3 man rotation for LDE and NT between Aaron, Ziggy, and Chris Hoke? Let's not forget Hoke did a pretty good job subbing for Casey back in 2004, when big snack missed most of the season with injury. ( a season in which we were 15-1 btw). I realize Aaron's height (6'5") might work against him a little at NT but his weight is the same as Hoke's and his strength is greater. So I really don't see how some combination of the 2 of them would severly weaken this team? And remember on obvious passing downs Casey generally came off the field. So essentially your need for a true 3-4 nose tackle is probably limited to about 40 snaps a game or less. Again I'm not suggesting you take Aarom completey away from his strength at LDE, but what I am saying is that if you split situations where you're defending heavy against the run between Aaron and Hoke at NT, I really believe your run defense wont take a hit. Of course that's assuming Ziggy's play jumps up to the level I expect it to.

Obviously the best thing would be to find a way to bring Casey back and keep him happy. But that's a huge longshot from what i see, and i think I'd rather use the first day draft picks on the OL or secondary than NT. Anyway short term i think my suggestion keeps the Steelers defense viable against the run with little sacrifice.

VTsteel
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Snack is gone.

He'll want more than his value (ie: $6/7 mil for the tag not being"right"). Sorry brother you're good and all . . . but we will manage w/o ya . . .

:wave:

groundhogday
01-30-2010, 09:48 AM
The only way he is not a Steeler if someone signs him after we franchise him which I think is highly unlikely as other teams will not want to surrender 2 first rounders.

I think Hampton will be a Steeler and continue to play at a high level for at least the next 3 years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Faneca's issue was that he was underpaid relative to his value and wanted to get what he was worth. He was crying about having to live out the conditions of his contract. Hampton was a pro and played out his contract.

Face it, the Steelers rarely pay top dollar for players, because they ususally have young replacements in the wings waiting to take over. Nobody wants the tag, because it offers no security. This reminds me much of the Max Starks case, where there was no replacement in mind and they HAD to tag him.

I think the Steelers are going to try and do a 5 year deal....then if not, they will tag Hampton.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Snack is gone.

He'll want more than his value (ie: $6/7 mil for the tag not being"right"). Sorry brother you're good and all . . . but we will manage w/o ya . . .

:wave:

I dont get it. We gave Max Starks a 4-year deal worth $26million. Why would we not give Hampton a deal worth $6million a year when we gave one to Starks??

Starks is below average and Hampton is a 5 time pro bowler and one of the top 5 at his position. I say he is worth $6million easily.

I hope we draft Anthony Davis, then trade Starks and his contract to Arizona, so we can then have room to sign Hampton and Colon....and maybe Clark too.

memphissteelergirl
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow. I shouldn't say that I'm shocked at Snacker's attitude, but I am. As others have said, he sounds eerily familiar to Faneca. :horror:

You have two options Casey my man. Be a professional, take the tag and continue to try to come to terms with the Steelers or take a hike.

Pretty much says it all.

Hamp says how much he wants to remain a Steeler, yet doesn't want to be franchised. Considering his advancing age, it's pretty generous. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that means you're guaranteed you're on a team next season, right?

*Sigh* I don't understand. :noidea:

Well...if that's how ya feel Hamp....good luck to ya cause the Rooneys ain't gonna put out the kinda coin you're looking for. Period.

Thanks for everything you did for us while wearing the Black & Gold, but it sounds like you have one foot out the door.

Adios, amigo. :wave:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Pretty much says it all.

Hamp says how much he wants to remain a Steeler, yet doesn't want to be franchised. Considering his advancing age, it's pretty generous. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that means you're guaranteed you're on a team next season, right?

*Sigh* I don't understand. :noidea:

Well...if that's how ya feel Hamp....good luck to ya cause the Rooneys ain't gonna put out the kinda coin you're looking for. Period.

Thanks for everything you did for us while wearing the Black & Gold, but it sounds like you have one foot out the door.

Adios, amigo. :wave:

What some people dont understand is that there are no GUARANTEED CONTRACTS in the NFL. That is why you see the huge signing bonuses and guys like Anquan Boldin wanting new deals. Its really a 1 way street where an owner does not have to honour the duration of the contract............but the player has no other option.

Hampton wants to be a Steeler, but he also wants to be paid what he is worth in the market. If the Steelers just tagged Ben Roethlisberger, he would be guaranteed something like $10million......but now that he has a long term contract he is guaranteed something like $60million.

No need to begrudge Hampton for wanting to get paid what he is worth. Its just business. Because the second he starts to drop in play, he will get cut like Jason Gildon and told...."its just business"

I can never understand Steeler fans that want their pro bowlers to play for cheap and label them "whiners" if they want fair compensation(instead of the hometown discount), but then when that guy gets cut before his contract is over....they say "dont let the door hit ya". :noidea:

supa_fly_steeler
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
maybe if we give him at least a 2 year supply of mars bars and protein shakes he might stay?

stillers4me
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I think Big Snack is more apt to get what he wants if just keeps his Big Yap shut.

Shoes
01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
.........and if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll be about 100 pounds over weight come training camp :chuckle:

steelpride12
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Another football who is going for the money instead of being franchised. I can't say im surprised one bit by his words and it's a shame he is backing down like he is.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
El-Gonzo is on the money. No player wants to be franchised. Didn't anyone see what Wilfork said just a couple days ago? Like Gonzo said, there is no security with the tag. Especially with Hampton declining. He wants to get paid now so he doesn't have to work for anything anymore. If he gets the tag, he'll be forced to work and hope that his body holds up.

Again, Hampton has ALL the leverage. We're in trouble no matter what we do. I've said it all along; let Hampton walk.

And don't get mad at Casey. Self-interest is the #1 goal for anyone in any business. They want to do what is best for them. Be angry at the FO. It's their fault we're in this mess to begin with.

SMR
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Jerome Bettis= loyalist

Alan Faneca= whiner

You understand, Mr. Hampton? Whiners aren't loyalists and vice versa.
So....get lost!

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
And did we ever try to put the tag on Bettis?

SMR
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
El-Gonzo is on the money. No player wants to be franchised. Didn't anyone see what Wilfork said just a couple days ago? Like Gonzo said, there is no security with the tag. Especially with Hampton declining. He wants to get paid now so he doesn't have to work for anything anymore. If he gets the tag, he'll be forced to work and hope that his body holds up.

Again, Hampton has ALL the leverage. We're in trouble no matter what we do. I've said it all along; let Hampton walk.

And don't get mad at Casey. Self-interest is the #1 goal for anyone in any business. They want to do what is best for them. Be angry at the FO. It's their fault we're in this mess to begin with.

Even if it was the FO's fault it doesn't mean it can't be changed. I am just sick and tired of the self-interest and me, me, me first attitude. Pretty soon players are going to bankrupt the entire NFL all because they don't want to curtail their greed. Enough is enough. If the NFL eventually goes bankrupt and collapses- good, so be it!
:mad::mad::mad:

Northside Jonny
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
You know I dont even know IF I want the guy to stay anymore. Probably get paid and balloon up to 390 and be nothing the rest of his career . Thanks for the memories Casey its a shame you have to leave on such a sour note. Now get the HELL outta here, YOU FAT GREEDY BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kick: :fingers: :twocents: :poop:

SMR
01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
You know I dont even know IF I want the guy to stay anymore. Probably get paid and balloon up to 390 and be nothing the rest of his career . Thanks for the memories Casey its a shame you have to leave on such a sour note. Now get the HELL outta here, YOU FAT GREEDY BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kick: :fingers: :twocents: :poop:

ROFL!!! I sure like dem smileys you used! :applaudit:

stb_steeler
01-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Theres one difference between Faneca and Big Snack, Faneca's still pretty good if u ask me. We sure could use him on OL.

OneForTheToe
01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Theres one difference between Faneca and Big Snack, Faneca's still pretty good if u ask me. We sure could use him on OL.

For what Faneca is getting paid, I'm pretty happy with Kemo at LG. If we would have paid Faneca our line would probably be better, but we might be missing some other players.

lionslicer
01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
If the Steelers were smart, they'd let him go and pick up NT's to try out in the preseason. Maybe pick up a young one, maybe not as great as hampton, but still disruptive and pay him at the most half of what Casey wants.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
i love how the moment Casey says this, Steeler Nation went from "We need to re-sign him. We can't let him go." to, "Get out of here now!!!!".

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
[/B]

Even if it was the FO's fault it doesn't mean it can't be changed. I am just sick and tired of the self-interest and me, me, me first attitude. Pretty soon players are going to bankrupt the entire NFL all because they don't want to curtail their greed. Enough is enough. If the NFL eventually goes bankrupt and collapses- good, so be it!
:mad::mad::mad:

Wouldn't you be mad if someone costs you the chance at perhaps $15 million guaranteed and 35 million overall?

I would be.

Fact is no one likes the tag. Especially 32 year old nose tackles that have work ethic problems.

No one should be surprised Casey is holding all the cards. He's had the leverage since we made no attempt to get another NT as a backup plan in case Casey wanted too much money or was trying to hold us hostage.

Steel_12
01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
What some people dont understand is that there are no GUARANTEED CONTRACTS in the NFL. That is why you see the huge signing bonuses and guys like Anquan Boldin wanting new deals. Its really a 1 way street where an owner does not have to honour the duration of the contract............but the player has no other option.

Hampton wants to be a Steeler, but he also wants to be paid what he is worth in the market. If the Steelers just tagged Ben Roethlisberger, he would be guaranteed something like $10million......but now that he has a long term contract he is guaranteed something like $60million.

No need to begrudge Hampton for wanting to get paid what he is worth. Its just business. Because the second he starts to drop in play, he will get cut like Jason Gildon and told...."its just business"

I can never understand Steeler fans that want their pro bowlers to play for cheap and label them "whiners" if they want fair compensation(instead of the hometown discount), but then when that guy gets cut before his contract is over....they say "dont let the door hit ya". :noidea:

:applaudit: Good post. He's a pro-bowler and a great run stopper. Why not get a deal done? I see no problem with what Casey is saying. He is one of the best at his position, gotta pay him like he is one of the best.

Psyychoward86
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
we've had the #1 defense in the league twice while he's been here, and the #1 run defense in the league three times while he's been here. I think we need him for 2-3 more years before we can toss him away. Hoke can fill that hole well (See------>2004), but after him, we have virtually no depth at the position. I dont understand this work ethic thing. The only thing he's done to indicate poor work ethic is his weight problems, right? But yeah, i dont like that he's nudging the FO, letting them know that he's not afraid to leave.

steelerchad
01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I dont get it. We gave Max Starks a 4-year deal worth $26million. Why would we not give Hampton a deal worth $6million a year when we gave one to Starks??

Starks is below average and Hampton is a 5 time pro bowler and one of the top 5 at his position. I say he is worth $6million easily.

I hope we draft Anthony Davis, then trade Starks and his contract to Arizona, so we can then have room to sign Hampton and Colon....and maybe Clark too.

I think the big difference is when we tagged Starks he was in his 4th year. Casey's played 10 years and has nowhere to go but down. He is on the downside of his career and declining as we speak. At this age the decent can be rapid, ask Farrior. You just can't pay big bucks to a 32 year old guy who has shown a lazy side to him. He's our best option at nose tackle for next year, but if we can't sign him for a little less than market value it would be best for both sides to part ways. I don't know if it's possible to get Cody, the Alabama kid at #18?

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2010, 10:19 PM

You and gonz are spot on here.
Casey does have all the leverage.
Casey is a hell of a player.
Casey does deserve to be paid according to his ability and worth to a team.
Casey is probably ranked behind Ben, Troy, Harrison and a few others when it comes to dealing out big contracts.

Unfortunatey my assessment is that he net worth is now more than the steelers can afford to pay. By my calculations he is stating that he believes he will be moving onto a team that is willing to pay that top dollar. Good luck to the Texans if they are the team because they will get a great NT.

You just cant keep everyone and pay top dollar. Not is the days of parity.

Chidi29
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
we've had the #1 defense in the league twice while he's been here, and the #1 run defense in the league three times while he's been here. I think we need him for 2-3 more years before we can toss him away. Hoke can fill that hole well (See------>2004), but after him, we have virtually no depth at the position. I dont understand this work ethic thing. The only thing he's done to indicate poor work ethic is his weight problems, right? But yeah, i dont like that he's nudging the FO, letting them know that he's not afraid to leave.

:rofl:

LOL at thinking Hoke is even a remote possibility to replace Hampton. The team knows that too.

The last time he started extensively in place of Hampton, as you said, was 2004. He was in his late 20's then. Now he's what, 33? 34? Big difference.

Didn't anyone else see the fact the completely phased him out on defnese this year? He rarely played on anything but special teams until the tail end of the season when Tomlin decided to make a few changes. According to profootballfocus, his play count from 2008 to 2009 went from around 240 to 73. He rarely replaced Hampton and was soon replaced by Hood as the one down lineman we'll use on 3rd and longs.

The team knows he's done. We should too.

Psyychoward86
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
The last time he started extensively in place of Hampton, as you said, was 2004. He was in his late 20's then. Now he's what, 33? 34? Big difference.

Well now you're going against your own point, the same could be said about Hampton. And we were a perfect 12-0 that year with Hoke starting. But yeah, i get your point, and yeah, i would be worried with Hoke starting nowadays.

Check your inbox too, i gotta ask something about goal line blitz

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Well now you're going against your own point, the same could be said about Hampton. And we were a perfect 12-0 that year with Hoke starting. But yeah, i get your point, and yeah, i would be worried with Hoke starting nowadays.

Check your inbox too, i gotta ask something about goal line blitz

For starters, I've consistenly said that if we're not going to tag him, let him walk.

And Casey was playing at a high level into his 30s. Last year was the first year I noticed a big dropoff (Though this was the first year I went back and rewatched games).

LVSteelersfan
01-31-2010, 04:05 AM
I think the bottom line here is that Casey is not going to get the kind of money that he wants from the Rooneys. If they tag him, he won't play well because of a chip on his shoulder. If they re-sign him to a multi-year contract, he has no incentive to play well. It is best to let him go and roll the dice on finding someone new to replace him.

Rick5895
01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
I understand Hamptons' position. A franchise tag could hurt his earning power in the future. He has been a rock of stability on the D liner for us for a decade. He is continually thought of as one of the best interior linemen in the league. Right now Big Snack is looking at his final contract as a NFL player. IMO Casey has 2 or 3 years left in him, signing him to a long term deal (4 years ?) with a bonus and money worthy of his stature is all he is asking. I am sure he would take a little less money to stay with the Steelers, as long as he had the length of deal he seeks.
But here are the people of this forum, saying we need him, must re sign him, then when Casey says how he feels , some of these same people now villify him. Say let him go, we can bring in someone else. Finding a quality NT is not an easy chore, that is why most teams trying to run this D scheme have trouble. Players like Hampton, Wilfork et al don't grow on trees.
My message to the FO would be get him signed at fair market value, then draft someone this draft or next to groom him to play the position.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-31-2010, 10:14 AM
stb steeler:

1 other difference between faneca and big snack.

Faneca 1 ring:

Big snack: 2 rings

lol

Our oline will get better imo very quickly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
I think the big difference is when we tagged Starks he was in his 4th year. Casey's played 10 years and has nowhere to go but down. He is on the downside of his career and declining as we speak. At this age the decent can be rapid, ask Farrior. You just can't pay big bucks to a 32 year old guy who has shown a lazy side to him. He's our best option at nose tackle for next year, but if we can't sign him for a little less than market value it would be best for both sides to part ways. I don't know if it's possible to get Cody, the Alabama kid at #18?

You just said that a 5-time Pro Bowl NT, who has bench pressed 225lbs , 40 times has.........a lazy side to him.?????

Then you want to get a 370lb replacement for him. who puts Krispy Kreme on his training table ??? :rofl: :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the bottom line here is that Casey is not going to get the kind of money that he wants from the Rooneys. If they tag him, he won't play well because of a chip on his shoulder. If they re-sign him to a multi-year contract, he has no incentive to play well. It is best to let him go and roll the dice on finding someone new to replace him.

I disagree. If they paid $6.5 million a year to Starks, why would they not pay $6.5million to Hampton.

Hampton was the only guy busting his azz in that pitiful loss to the Browns. He has never mailed in a game in his career as a Steeler. I dont know how you can think he wont have incentive to play well if he gets a contract. It makes no sense.

Psyychoward86
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
why is hampton considered such a lardass by so many steeler fans. Other than the obvious weight issue the ONE TIME, what else has he done to indicate laziness? As said before, 5-time probowler, 40 reps at his combine, we've had the #1 rushing defense while he's been here 3 times, and we've had the #1 defense twice while he's been here. Really, is he lazy, or is that just what were assuming?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
why is hampton considered such a lardass by so many steeler fans. Other than the obvious weight issue the ONE TIME, what else has he done to indicate laziness? As said before, 5-time probowler, 40 reps at his combine, we've had the #1 rushing defense while he's been here 3 times, and we've had the #1 defense twice while he's been here. Really, is he lazy, or is that just what were assuming?

The 40 reps at 225lbs is what I saw him do at the pro bowl (NFL Strongest Man) competition.

I think that most casual fans think the guy is not entitled to any time to relax and recover after taking a physical beating for 7-8 months. If he puts on 20lbs after a long season they call him lazy. :doh:

I was listening to Lincoln Kennedy on radio and he was just saying how physically and emotionally draining a long football season is and how exhausted you would feel after getting beat in January playoffs. Hampton is a pro and I dont think he can be a 5-time pro bowler at NT by being "lazy".

supa_fly_steeler
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
stb steeler:

1 other difference between faneca and big snack.

Faneca 1 ring:

Big snack: 2 rings

lol

Our oline will get better imo very quickly.

lol not to mention when faneca left the season next we won a super bowl and he watched from the sofa lmao

urgle burgle
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
viva la Casey!!!

steelreserve
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Seems more to me like we have all the leverage in the world available to us if we want. We're just wavering on whether or not we're too nice to use the franchise tag.

Again, I don't see the problem with using it at all, whether he likes it or not. He wants to be a hard-ass about money, why shouldn't we be hard-asses right back, especially when the rules are in our favor. Basically, whether we keep Hampton without a crushing effect on our payroll depends on whether we give in to his threats to throw a whiny shitfit.

No reason to be Boy Scouts here. Seriously, what are you going to do, Casey? Sit out the season? Good luck with that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Seems more to me like we have all the leverage in the world available to us if we want. We're just wavering on whether or not we're too nice to use the franchise tag.

Again, I don't see the problem with using it at all, whether he likes it or not. He wants to be a hard-ass about money, why shouldn't we be hard-asses right back, especially when the rules are in our favor. Basically, whether we keep Hampton without a crushing effect on our payroll depends on whether we give in to his threats to throw a whiny shitfit.

No reason to be Boy Scouts here. Seriously, what are you going to do, Casey? Sit out the season? Good luck with that.

Very True. I remember watching T. Suggs on NFL network last year when they said he was gonna get tagged. He shook his head and said nobody wants to get tagged, but understood that's how it works.

No reason we cant tag Hampton and then work out a 4 year deal....or just go with a 1 year tag and then draft his replacement this year as well. Might be a lockout in 2011 anyways.

pancake
02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I bet we tag him, because I don't see getting a deal done before March 5th. It lets us work on Clark and Reed first. I say we even tag Reed with a transition.

Chidi29
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM

And it sounds like he's threatining to be a major headache if he gets tagged. How does that put the leverage in our favor?

He won't sit out, but he doesn't have to put 100% effort into things if he wants to spite us. Nothing we can do about it; tag money is guaranteed.

steelreserve
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
And it sounds like he's threatining to be a major headache if he gets tagged. How does that put the leverage in our favor?

He won't sit out, but he doesn't have to put 100% effort into things if he wants to spite us. Nothing we can do about it; tag money is guaranteed.

And how does that work out in his favor, either? At best, he can make it an everybody-loses situation, and there goes his big payday anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the franchise tag being a great situation either, but I'd far prefer that over letting one of our best players walk over an ego issue.

What I REALLY hope happens is that we use the tag as a bargaining tool and sign him to a deal that's fair but not idiotic. Because he knows as well as we do that a 5-year, $35 million deal is going to be pretty questionable by the time 2013 rolls around. Basically, if his agent comes in making completely ridiculous demands -- and it seems like he probably will -- he needs to be dickslapped into having some sense, and that's the way to do it.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Face it Casey...the franchise tag is coming.

truesteelerfan
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
What is the franchise tag pay for a DT....about 6.5M or so? Yes, thats a big slap in the face for a guy who only plays on running downs....WAY too much IMO for a part time player...Yes he's good, but can't pay full time price for a part time player....Would that happen in the real world.....Pay me for a 40 hour week, but I'm only going to work 20 ok boss? In fact pay me better than most 40 hour employees...Not realistic. His comments remind me a bunch of years ago of a basketball player Latrell Sprewell who was "offended" by his team's offer of 21 million dollars for 3 years....afterall to quote him "he's gotta feed his kids"....We enjoyed your time with us Snack....you did your job well and we'd love to have you back another year or two....but its going to be hard to pay you to your expectations, AND field a competitive team around you because we'd have to replace some expensive vets who play with you now with some cheaper/younger guys so we can afford you.

zulater
02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/

As you may know by now, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman Casey Hampton will become a free agent on March 5.

The team’s front office has two options available to keep Hampton from hitting the open market.

The first one is that they could negotiate a long-term contract of approximately four years and hope to get a deal done before next month.

The other option is that the Steelers could elect to make Hampton their exclusive franchise player which would guarantee his rights with the Steelers for one more year. By making Hampton the franchise player, the Steelers would have to pay him the average of the top five salaries ($6 million) at his position for next season.

The latter option would indeed make the most sense because Hampton is 33 years old and probably has only one or two quality years left in him. Furthermore, the Steelers don’t have a young player at that position being groomed to take over for Hampton.

If the Steelers believe they still have the makings of a championship caliber team, retaining Hampton’s services for another year seems paramount.

The problem, however, is that Casey Hampton doesn’t want the franchise tag. He wants a long term deal or nothing at all. Hampton has gone out of his way to say so. He said that a one-year contract worth $6 million would be considered a slap in his face for all that he has done for the organization. Hampton added that there would be problems if he is franchised and denied the opportunity to seek out the highest bidder in free agency.

Well isn’t that just too bad, Casey. Should we have a pity party for you now?

Let’s see. The United States’ unemployment rate is near an all-time high. Thousands of Americans have lost their homes over the past five years. Haiti just lost a couple hundred thousand people to an deadly earthquake and the survivors are left without much of anything. But Casey Hampton would consider it a slap in the face to get only $6 million to play for one season. That’s pretty bold stuff coming from a guy who can’t even play all three downs.

Maybe Hampton should have worried about his contract status when he kept coming into camp 40 and 50 pounds overweight. Perhaps if former Head Coach Bill Cowher and current Head Coach Mike Tomlin didn’t have to babysit him for the last five years, Hampton would have had a new contract by now.

Not only that, but Hampton is going down a long and ugly road by virtually ordering the Steelers to keep the franchise tag off him. Does he really think Pittsburgh will be sympathetic to an often out of shape, part-time player that kicks and screams like a baby because he is “only” getting paid $6 million.

To play football?

For one season?

Good luck with that.

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Very True. I remember watching T. Suggs on NFL network last year when they said he was gonna get tagged. He shook his head and said nobody wants to get tagged, but understood that's how it works.

No reason we cant tag Hampton and then work out a 4 year deal....or just go with a 1 year tag and then draft his replacement this year as well. Might be a lockout in 2011 anyways.

Agreed. Tag him for one season and that gives us time to draft his replacement, and get a deal.