PDA

View Full Version : Revis: 'I thought I was going to be a Steeler'

Galax Steeler
01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
January 30th, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE – After Darrelle Revis finished runner up to Charles Woodson for the Defensive Player of the Year award a couple of weeks ago I pondered what might have happened had the Jets not taken the former Pitt star one pick ahead of the Steelers in the 2007 draft.
I had a chance to ask Revis following the final Pro Bowl practice how close the shutdown cornerback came to going to his hometown team, and he had an interesting answer.
“They told me they were going to draft me in the 15th spot,” Revis said. “I thought I was going to be a Steeler.”
Revis said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau told him of the Steelers’ intentions to use their first draft pick of the Mike Tomlin era on him if he were still in the board. The Jets jumped one spot of the Steelers with a draft-day trade, denying them the chance to take the kid they had rated as a can’t-miss prospect.
The Steelers didn’t miss on their evaluation of Revis, who further bolsters the argument that Aliquippa is a fertile breeding ground for the NFL.
Revis is already the best cornerback in the world, and he doesn’t celebrate his 25th birthday until July.
He can affect a game as much as Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu does, but in a different way.
Imagine what kind of packages LeBeau would have put together with Polamalu and Revis in the same secondary. Imagine where the Steelers would have been this season with Revis considering their cornerbacks had trouble covering their own shadows.
Alas for the Steelers, the closest Revis will come to them is when he fulfills a promise to Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt and addresses the Panthers.
That will presumably happen during the offseason at the practice facility that Pitt shares with the Steelers.
“I told Wannstedt I’m going to come up there and talk to the guys and try to make them more studious in the film room,” Revis said.
Think anyone will tune him out?
Me neither.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/01/30/revis-i-thought-i-was-going-to-be-

I was hoping he would be to.:banging:

Steel-Bryan
01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I guess it just wasnt meant to be . :noidea:

fansince'76
01-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Kind of pointless to cry over spilled milk.

stillers4me
01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Kind of pointless to cry over spilled milk.

So true. But still........ :banging:

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2010, 09:00 AM
That was just one of those things... But who knows, if he ' were' on the team maybe he would have had a SB hangover in 09' as well...?? Its been pretty infectious through out the defense... well, except for Woodley...

One pick away.... see, if we would have lost the SB.... we would have had him... darn...

Prok
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Just hope the Jets are dumb enough to not get him locked in long-term by the time his contract comes up. ;)

IamTheSteelGod
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
If only dreams could come true.

Psyychoward86
01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
No need to think about the shoulda, coulda, wouldas. But that would've been amazing to have Revis. We got great players from that draft anyways: Lawrence Timmons, Lamaar Woodley, Sepulveda...

supa_fly_steeler
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
the jets are complete assholes.

how awesome it would be if the jets let rhodes go and wants to trade up for earl thomas, and 5 seconds before there selection we trade up above them and get earl thomas.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
You know it really does stink that we didn't draft him, but the Steelers do a great job every season picking the right players for the team and we did win a SB without Revis and and our picks have been solid and the right moves IMO.

Prok
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
the jets are complete assholes.

how awesome it would be if the jets let rhodes go and wants to trade up for earl thomas, and 5 seconds before there selection we trade up above them and get earl thomas.

Ahhh revenge is best served cold. I like how you think. lol

casteeler
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
maybe he will remember the steelers IF he becomes availible.... that would be awesome!!!!

Northside Jonny
02-01-2010, 12:58 AM
No need to think about the shoulda, coulda, wouldas. But that would've been amazing to have Revis. We got great players from that draft anyways: Lawrence Timmons, Lamaar Woodley, Sepulveda...

I agree with you psycho . Would have been nice but that draft class wasn't all that bad anyway. We will get that lockdown corner this year.:tt04:

Cinnjerm
02-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I don't really see the issue here. I mean sure, we missed out on him, but as mentioned earlier we got Woodley/Sep/Timmons. Besides, superbowl wins speak louder than...:noidea:

pancake
02-01-2010, 04:03 PM
that would have been a great pick.... :doh:

Oh well...

SteelersMongol
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe V could trade 4 him, or something, U know. When both Mr. Lebeau & that kid still want the same thing anything could happen.

verks36
02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
That was just one of those things... But who knows, if he ' were' on the team maybe he would have had a SB hangover in 09' as well...?? Its been pretty infectious through out the defense... well, except for Woodley...

One pick away.... see, if we would have lost the SB.... we would have had him... darn...

Okay but then we would have lost the superbowl...

Superbowl>Rivas

SC Gamecokk
02-03-2010, 04:47 AM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:
:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01: :crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Who cares! We ended up getting very good players in Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and Daniel Sepulveda. There is no question Revis is a lock down CB, but he is not playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I only worry about players on this team.