1. Earl Thomas FS Texas
2.Kareem Jackson CB bama or Kyle Johnson CB boise
3.Lamarr Houston DT texas
4.Ciron Black OT Lsu
5a.Colin Peek TE bama
5b.John Jerry OG miss.
5c.Darryl Sharpton ILB mia. or Pat Angerer ILB iowa
6.Cameron Sheffield OLB troy or Brian Jackson CB oklahoma
7a.LeGarrette Blount RB oregon or Lonyae Miller fresno st.
7b.Clifton Geathers DE s. car or Jeff Byers OG/C usc

This is based on the factor of the team getting one franchise tag and two transition tags in the case of an uncapped year. Using the franchise on Casey and the two transitions on Reed and Colon.

jonslow
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
1. Earl Thomas FS Texas
4.Ciron Black OT Lsu
5a.Colin Peek TE bama
5b.John Jerry OG miss.
6.Cameron Sheffield OLB troy

This is based on the factor of the team getting one franchise tag and two transition tags in the case of an uncapped year. Using the franchise on Casey and the two transitions on Reed and Colon.

I really like some of those guys. Unfortunately, based on what I saw this week in Mobile, I don't think many of them will be available in the round you have them drafted.

John Jerry could have been the best offensive lineman I saw all week. He was a beast at practice all week and a lot of people took notice. I really think his stock will rise after this week and possibly end up in the third round.

Although LeGarrette Blount had his character issues this year, he looked great this week as well, and he played well during the game. At 245 lbs, he has some very quick feet. He needs to run a little lower, but he can work on that. For a guy with his physical tools, I can't see him dropping to the seventh round. Someone will take a flyer on him earlier on.

Kyle Wilson would be a great first-round pick. He looked superb in coverage all week, and showed that he can tackle during the game. He's tough, he's fast and he has all the skills to be a great corner in the league.

Overall, I really like that mock. I'd be pumped if some of those guys fell to us. :thumbsup:

Northside Jonny
01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
What kind of fan would I be if i didn't have some wishful thinking? Besides It's fun to speculate especially so early in the draft process.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
What kind of fan would I be if i didn't have some wishful thinking? Besides It's fun to speculate especially so early in the draft process.

Nice draft...I agree with both of you that at this point, some of the players might go earlier than the mock shows.. ( I hope Thomas drops to #18!!!....Also have to wonder about Black...Jerry...and Sheffield)

BUT.........!!!!

We all have to keep in mind that the combine can change anyones draft status....so a one round switch is always possible!!!

Good job.

Chidi29
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
For the record, we don't need to put a tag on Colon. A tender is needed to keep him for another year.

Northside Jonny
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
For the record, we don't need to put a tag on Colon. A tender is needed to keep him for another year.

ok then we use it on clark

Aussie_steeler
02-01-2010, 02:22 AM
1. Earl Thomas FS Texas
4.Ciron Black OT Lsu
5a.Colin Peek TE bama
5b.John Jerry OG miss.

Good draft. Probably needs to be Jackson in round 2 as Johnson may be a first round player now.

One question though - do you have Lamarr Houston as a DE or a NT. I think he is a bit light on to play NT fulltime.

revefsreleets
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I do believe Blount was projected at the beginning of this year as one of the top 2-3 backs in the Country. If character counted, he might drop this far, but there are plenty of teams like the Bengals who could care less.

Also, isn't Angerer's stock rapidly rising? He looks like the next Chad Greenway to me...

jonslow
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I do believe Blount was projected at the beginning of this year as one of the top 2-3 backs in the Country. If character counted, he might drop this far, but there are plenty of teams like the Bengals who could care less.

Also, isn't Angerer's stock rapidly rising? He looks like the next Chad Greenway to me...

Angerer's stock may have fallen because he didn't show at the Senior Bowl. A.J. Edds (also an Iowa linebacker) did pretty well t the Senior Bowl, though. Angerer has always been a 3rd-4th round prosepect to me. He's not a workout warrior. He just plays extremely hard and always fnds ways to get to the ball carrier. I like Angerer a lot, but I don't see him as a dominant ILB in the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Angerer's stock may have fallen because he didn't show at the Senior Bowl. A.J. Edds (also an Iowa linebacker) did pretty well t the Senior Bowl, though. Angerer has always been a 3rd-4th round prosepect to me. He's not a workout warrior. He just plays extremely hard and always fnds ways to get to the ball carrier. I like Angerer a lot, but I don't see him as a dominant ILB in the NFL.

What do you think is the limiting factor with Angerer??

I watched him in several games this year and he is always around the ball, but when I isolated on him he just seems slow. He is fast enough for college, but seems like he lacks the quickness that would make him productive in the NFL.

At times he reminded me of Chris Spielman as just a hard working guy that plays better than his ability, but other times he looks to me like Jordon Dizon.

jonslow
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
What do you think is the limiting factor with Angerer??

I watched him in several games this year and he is always around the ball, but when I isolated on him he just seems slow. He is fast enough for college, but seems like he lacks the quickness that would make him productive in the NFL.

At times he reminded me of Chris Spielman as just a hard working guy that plays better than his ability, but other times he looks to me like Jordon Dizon.

Angerer may not be as fast as his 40 time suggests (4.5-4.6). He certainly doesn't look that fast, and although it's true that he's always around the ball, that will only get you so far in the NFL. Players are faster and stronger and are better at keeping defensive players away from the ball. He's a really hard worker, has great instincts and a good attitude, but that's not always enough to get it done in the pros. Unfortunately, Angerer's limiting factor is the fact that he just doesn't stand out in any particular way. The Spielman comparison is a good one.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
1. Earl Thomas FS Texas
4.Ciron Black OT Lsu
5a.Colin Peek TE bama
5b.John Jerry OG miss.

I think I'd rather see the Steelers pick a D-Lineman or a Linebacker as the first pick. I do like Earl Thomas though.

I also like Cameron Sheffield. He might be around by the sixth round, but I somewhat doubt it. He had a really good Senior Bowl. So did his Troy teammate, Brandon Lang, who will probably go in the first or second round. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab Lang. Both Sheffield and Lang are from Troy where DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora played.

Northside Jonny
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I think I'd rather see the Steelers pick a D-Lineman or a Linebacker as the first pick. I do like Earl Thomas though.

I also like Cameron Sheffield. He might be around by the sixth round, but I somewhat doubt it. He had a really good Senior Bowl. So did his Troy teammate, Brandon Lang, who will probably go in the first or second round. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab Lang. Both Sheffield and Lang are from Troy where DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora played.

what are your thoughts on jackson and peek?

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
02-01-2010, 04:07 PM
what are your thoughts on jackson and peek?

I thought Jackson had a nice career at Bama. He really improved a ton from his freshman year to his sophomore year. I was a little surprised that he declared for the NFL draft a year early, but I imagine that he's ready to play. I think he'll probably become a standout DB for the team he ends up on.

I think that Peek has the ability and potential to be a great tight end in the NFL. His tall, rangy frame is definitely a plus. He's a great pass catcher and is really effective in the redzone and in the endzone where he can get up over the defense to make clutch catches. Playing at Alabama in a run-oriented offense, he was an outstanding run blocker as well.

Northside Jonny
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Good draft. Probably needs to be Jackson in round 2 as Johnson may be a first round player now.

One question though - do you have Lamarr Houston as a DE or a NT. I think he is a bit light on to play NT fulltime.

NT giving that being a pro he will put on more weight . and i also anticipated us re-signing Hampton. Wich will give him time to bulk up a little. besides he's only giving up five pounds to SUH and i'm sure you would'nt care if we got him.

revefsreleets
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
These are the same exact complaints that were registered about Chad Greenway and James Laurinaitis.

In 3 years, Greenway has 319 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 INT's and a forced fumble.
Laurinaitis in one year had 120 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 picks and a forced fumble.

There's 40 speed and there's on field speed. I'll take the latter 100 times out of 100 times. I think Angerer is going to be a good one at the next level.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
These are the same exact complaints that were registered about Chad Greenway and James Laurinaitis.

In 3 years, Greenway has 319 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 INT's and a forced fumble.
Laurinaitis in one year had 120 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 picks and a forced fumble.

There's 40 speed and there's on field speed. I'll take the latter 100 times out of 100 times. I think Angerer is going to be a good one at the next level.

I agree, football speed is more important than stopwatch speed. Angerer never really looked as if he played fast in the 3 or 4 games I watched him this year. Nothing like Ro McLain, Daryl Washington or Micah Johnson did. Those guys stood out on tape but Angerer doesnt to me.

If he turns out to be a good one, I hope we pick him. But, there is something that just doesnt add up when I watched him play. BTW, Jordon Dizon had 463 tackles in his career at Colorado.........stats dont always translate to the NFL.

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
you also got to take into account not every linebacker is suited to play inside in the 3-4. look at jonathon villma when the jets switched to the 3-4. he couldn't shed blocks.so the jets let him go. bobby carpenter is another who seems to have had trouble adjusting.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
pat angerer wont be good at the next level he will always be a consitent but ok player.

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
pat angerer wont be good at the next level he will always be a consitent but ok player.

So your saying that a fifth round pick would be ok to spend on a lifelong backup. Every team needs guys like that .

revefsreleets
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I never once cited a single COLLEGE stat for any of these guys. They are completely irrelevant. I like Angerer, and since ILB is a need, and I think he's "got it", I'd be happy to draft a guy like him, especially if he's someone who's going on the second day. Bring him in and let him sit and learn for a year or two...

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
So your saying that a fifth round pick would be ok to spend on a lifelong backup. Every team needs guys like that .

im saying id rather have a micah johnson

taztroy43
02-02-2010, 04:18 PM
our mocks look a little similar...lol....love the Kyle Wilson pick and the Ciron Black....overall I like the way you set up the draft.....

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
our mocks look a little similar...lol....love the Kyle Wilson pick and the Ciron Black....overall I like the way you set up the draft.....

than you!!!!!!!! Great Minds Think Alike:hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I never once cited a single COLLEGE stat for any of these guys. They are completely irrelevant. I like Angerer, and since ILB is a need, and I think he's "got it", I'd be happy to draft a guy like him, especially if he's someone who's going on the second day. Bring him in and let him sit and learn for a year or two...

Oh, my bad....I thought you were posting stats of JL and Greenway's college days. Sorry.

I still stick with the assessment that Angerer just doesnt look impressive in Iowa games that I watched, while JL and CG were by most accounts, the top talents available in their respective positions.

I still think guys like McLain, Spikes, Washington, Johnson, Navorro Bowman are better prospects at ILB than Angerer, but if he turns out to be a good one.....I hope he's with us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM

YOu know guys, I have been one of the biggest Ciron Black detractors since I dont think he can play LT and many had him in the top 5 OT's in 2008......but I like him as a RT and think that late 3rd or 4th round is good value on him.

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
YOu know guys, I have been one of the biggest Ciron Black detractors since I dont think he can play LT and many had him in the top 5 OT's in 2008......but I like him as a RT and think that late 3rd or 4th round is good value on him.

Agreed strictly a RT. I don't believe with the amount of $$$ Max Starks is getting that LT is a top priority. At least this year , now if he struggles again next season I think the FO will be looking for an upgrade in rounds 1or2.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Agreed strictly a RT. I don't believe with the amount of $$$ Max Starks is getting that LT is a top priority. At least this year , now if he struggles again next season I think the FO will be looking for an upgrade in rounds 1or2.

My secret dream is that Anthony Davis is there at #18 and we draft him and give Colon a qualifying offer. Then trade Starks in 2011 to the Cardinals for a 3rd round pick and start Davis at LT and give Colon a long term deal to play RT.

Heck, we could even trade Starks next year and have Essex hold down the left side for a year. It saves some $$ to be able to sign guys like Holmes, Woodley, Colon etc and allows an inconsistent LT to move on.

But shhhhhh.....dont tell anybody. or it wont come true.

Steely McSmash
02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
The uncapped year could make for a madcap free agency since teams won't have to worry about cap hit from amortized bonuses this year. Hadn't really thought of that before.

Texasteel
02-03-2010, 04:33 AM
My secret dream is that Anthony Davis is there at #18 and we draft him and give Colon a qualifying offer. Then trade Starks in 2011 to the Cardinals for a 3rd round pick and start Davis at LT and give Colon a long term deal to play RT.

Heck, we could even trade Starks next year and have Essex hold down the left side for a year. It saves some $$ to be able to sign guys like Holmes, Woodley, Colon etc and allows an inconsistent LT to move on.

But shhhhhh.....dont tell anybody. or it wont come true.

If Davis is still there at 18 I would be knocking over tables getting the card to the front.

Aussie_steeler
02-03-2010, 05:08 AM

I would be very happy if the late round picks were guys who are players who have continually displayed that they are overachievers and who are capable of continually beating their detractors.

Players who have "got it" as you say REVS seem to be better with dealing with the adversity associated with being given little chance of making a roster.

I think a guy like Cody Grimm fits that mould very much like Angerer.

Their is nothing wrong with "short man syndrome" in the real world - I figure it has got to have some merit in the NFL as well.

Having said that I do want me a big stud OT in the first round.

Northside Jonny
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Here is my updated version. I did two versions, including all the same positions in both drafts. Let me know what you think.

Mock A
1. Earl Thomas S Texas
2. Terrence Cody DT Bama
3. Dominique Franks CB Oklahoma
4. Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale College
5. Boris Lee ILB Troy
5b. Clinton Geathers DE S. Carolina
5c. Brandon Carter OG Texas Tech
6. Tim Hiller QB W. Michigan
7. Corey Reamer OLB Bama
7b. Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh

Mock B
1. Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
2. Donovan Warren CB Michigan
3. Myron Rolle S FSU
4. Cam Thomas DT UNC
5. C.J. Wilson DE E. Carolina
5b.Zane Beadles OG Utah
5c. Zac Robinson QB Ok. State
6. Kion Wilson ILB S. Florida
7. Richard Dickson TE LSU
7b. Vincent Rey OLB Duke

Steely McSmash
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I like Mock B quite a bit. First 4 picks are all solid fits and are underrated.

Aussie_steeler
02-10-2010, 04:37 AM
I like draft 2. Most of the picks are solid guys, at key positions with great value.

I am a bit concerned with a pattern in a lot of mocks lately. No-one really seems to be addressing SS later in the draft. Is that a concession that people are happy to have Tyrone Carter back or that a SS will come from the UDFA class?

Northside Jonny
02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I like draft 2. Most of the picks are solid guys, at key positions with great value.

I am a bit concerned with a pattern in a lot of mocks lately. No-one really seems to be addressing SS later in the draft. Is that a concession that people are happy to have Tyrone Carter back or that a SS will come from the UDFA class?

I honestly believe that ryan clark will be back . We have Mundy and in case troy goes down again. Please no! I think you can move clark over and let mundy or rolle start.