PDA

View Full Version : Obama axes moon missions

Fire Haley
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
It's official

Obama is the Anti-Kennedy

White House budget axes NASA's moon program

Constellation Project - NASA is being told by the Obama white house to scrap the whole program. .http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/main/

Instead of funding the moon mission, also known as "Constellation,"

"... the President’s Budget funds a redesigned and reinvigorated program that focuses on leveraging advanced technology, international partnerships, and commercial capabilities to set the stage for a revitalized human space flight program for the 21st Century. The President’s Budget will also increase NASA’s funding, accelerating work -- constrained for years due to the budget demands of Constellation -- on climate science, green aviation, science education, and other priorities."

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/286804

Godfather
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Moon's been done.

We need to go to M-A-R-S. MARS, bitches!

X-Terminator
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
The President’s Budget will also increase NASA’s funding, accelerating work -- constrained for years due to the budget demands of Constellation -- on climate science, green aviation, science education, and other priorities.

Yeah, it figures. Set the space program back for God only knows how long, so you can fund "climate science" and "green aviation." :rolleyes: At least he isn't cutting funding to the Orion project to replace the Space Shuttle...

...yet.

revefsreleets
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Wait 15 minutes, and he may do a complete 180...Like two weeks ago he said he was going to dump billions into the economy to create jobs, and damn the costs.

Then last week he said he's freezing spending.

BUT he also said he was still going to pump 100 bil into job creation.

I guess the real key takeaway here is that you'd best not put too much stock in what ole Obamie has to say on a day-to-day basis...

zulater
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Looks like Obama's going to lose the "Trekkie" vote.:toofunny:

7SteelGal43
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Looks like Obama's going to lose the "Trekkie" vote.:toofunny:

don't forget the Star Wars vote.

and yes Killer, Obama is most definatley the ANTI-Kennedy.

Fire Haley
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
NASA will become the Global Warming/Climate Change Administration - no doubt.

steelreserve
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
get your ass to Mars

Fire Haley
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Moon's been done.

We need to go to M-A-R-S. MARS, bitches!

I tend to agree with you - but I want results I can see - we'll never get people to Mars in our lifetimes.

We're wasting time. We should be sending up dozens of robots to get on with terraforming the rest of our solar system with habital worlds.

Suck some of that atmo from Venus and spray it around Mars - kill two birds with one stone.

Manned spaceflight with current technology is too slow and expensive - get that fusion rocket on line and genetically alter some pioneers to live under less earthlike conditions. Jupiter's and Saturn's moons are a good place to start after we get the drill rigs up there. Then maybe we can talk about spreading our seed throughout the galaxy.

urgle burgle
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
what about the Stargate vote?

smokin3000gt
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I can understand axing some moon missions right now but we can't fall behind and rely on the russians or china to get us in the air.

MACH1
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
China's going to own the moon. They will beat us there and it will become a Chinese territory.

tony hipchest
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
China's going to own the moon. They will beat us there and it will become a Chinese territory.

well... atleast the price of cheese will come down.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesemoon2.jpg

MACH1
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.clairesbooks.com/images/moon_l1red.jpg

Kinda looks like a Baby Bell. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
02-02-2010, 12:20 AM

Yep - as much as it pains me to say - the Chinks will have the high ground when you young punks will have to go to war.

Hua

SCSTILLER
02-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Yep - as much as it pains me to say - the Chinks will have the high ground when you young punks will have to go to war.

Hua

Yep, how are we going to upgrade the miltary satellites, rely on private companies or the Russians? Maybe we will just revert back to smoke signals while in combat to communicate.

revefsreleets
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
That's a great point...there are a LOT of emerging theories that project the moon as both a base of power as well as a possible conduit for focusing solar power back to Earth...

Guess we'll be skipping that party...

urgle burgle
02-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Yep, how are we going to upgrade the miltary satellites, rely on private companies or the Russians? Maybe we will just revert back to smoke signals while in combat to communicate.

NASA budget doesnt deal with military concerns. the military got out of NASA and using the shuttle around the time of the Challenger disaster. military uses single use rockets for deployment of satellites. however, i still think its a stupid idea, especially when the giant meteor of doom (i call him fluffy mcstinkerpants) comes calling.

cant do the smoke signals.....kills noise/light discipline......guess we could go back to big flags on hilltops (reason for the signal corps). or tin cans and string.

but now we will definately know what the temp is in Hoboken at all times.