PDA

View Full Version : View From The Press Box - Woodley says he can only get better

mesaSteeler
02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
| More
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/02/01/woodley-says-he-can-only-get-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Woodley says he can only get better
February 1st, 2010

MIAMI --

He wasn’t allowed to blitz while playing in his first game in almost a month and spent more time dropping than a West Point plebe.

That didn’t stop outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley from serving notice that he is taking aim at the Steelers’ single-season sack record held by teammate James Harrison.

“I can do a lot more,” Woodley said after playing in his first Pro Bowl Sunday night. “Numbers can improve.”

Woodley doesn’t need to improve by much to surpass the 16 sacks Harrison had in 2008 when the latter won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award.

Woodley went from 11 ˝ in 2008, his first year as a starter, to 13 1/2 this season.

At that rate of improvement Woodley would notch 15 ˝ sacks next season and 17 ˝ in 2010. While unrealistic to expect that kind of progression it is not out of the question.

Woodley, after all, is only 25.

“I ain’t played my best football,” said the Steelers’ 2007 second-round draft pick.

While Woodley didn’t get to showcase his pass-rushing skills in the first of what figures to be many Pro Bowl appearances, the 6-4, 265-pounder did intercept a pass after dropping into coverage.

A penalty wiped out the pick -- and the 64-yard touchdown return that followed it.

It didn't stop Woodley from displaying the athleticism that allowed him to make the transition from a 4-3 defensive end in college to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Woodley will take this week off and start his offseason workout regimen after the Super Bowl.

While focused on what is ahead, Woodley didn’t hesitate to answer when asked about the recent past -– and specifically why the Steelers finished 9-7 in 2009.

“Not finishing games, not closing out games, not taking care of teams we were supposed to take care of, letting teams stay around too long in the fourth quarter,” Woodley said.

Yep, that about covers it.

Galax Steeler
02-02-2010, 05:34 AM
I can see that in him as well. That is a scary thought for other teams Woodley still getting better. Hopefully Timmons will follow suit as well.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 06:15 AM
i cant wait until he sacks bradys head into hopefully a hard surface next season, along with many other sacks.

He could become the best outside linebacker the Steelers could ever of have, its definitley a possibility with his talent.

CanadianSteel
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Yup gotta ge this man signed long term, as he is a beast who is just hitting his stride.

Shoes
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
i cant wait until he sacks bradys head into hopefully a hard surface next season, along with many other sacks.

He could become the best outside linebacker the Steelers could ever of have, its definitley a possibility with his talent.

Remember...tommy cakes travels with his own private officials :chuckle:

steelpride12
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I think his pass rushing of course is phenominal already, but I look for him to improve in the coverage even though he pass rushes majority of the time. He looked good with that INT for 6 in the Pro Bowl too bad it was called back. Wood will continue to learn and become better. Timmons turn.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Remember...tommy cakes travels with his own private officials :chuckle:

eh oh well woodley wont hear the whistle or see the flag and he will greet an ex michigan team player.

dave n'at
02-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Everybody's hating on Timmons but he lead ILB's in sacks this year. his tackling could be better but he was always going to be a project and I'd say hes doing great so far.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Everybody's hating on Timmons but he lead ILB's in sacks this year. his tackling could be better but he was always going to be a project and I'd say hes doing great so far.

I second that! While he was drafted back in 2007, this was his first season starting at ILB for us. Timmons is only going to get better each season.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
LaMarr getting better is very scary for opposing offenses :tt02: Now the front office just need to get him locked up long term this off season. LaMarr and James could go down as the best OLB duo in Steelers history.

Psyychoward86
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
LaMarr getting better is very scary for opposing offenses :tt02: Now the front office just need to get him locked up long term this off season. LaMarr and James could go down as the best OLB duo in Steelers history.

u can check that off already

mesaSteeler
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM

While I hope they play extremely well I don't believe they will ever be the best in Steelers history. They are beaten by a pair of Jacks, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert.