PDA

View Full Version : If Joey Porter came back to the Burgh...

Steel-Bryan
02-02-2010, 12:26 AM
How do you guys think he would be used ?

truesteelerfan
02-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I can't see us bringing him back....But I'd love it if we did!! He was one of my fav Steelers of all time! IF we were to bring him back (I don't think he'd accept a "role" player type of job), he would immediately be our best backup probably at all 4 LB positions just because he knows Dick's D scheme so well. I'm in, where do we sign up for this to happen? :)

Shea
02-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Peezy, was on JRIB today.

He isn't a happy camper. Makes me wonder if he'll be back in Miami next year or somewhere else?

Will be interesting to see how Parcells deals with his comments today and what will become of Joey.

steelerdude15
02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't see him coming back and plus, with Harrison and Woodley, where would he belong... maybe they could move him to take over Farrior's spot.

jonslow
02-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Peezy, was on JRIB today.

He isn't a happy camper. Makes me wonder if he'll be back in Miami next year or somewhere else?

Will be interesting to see how Parcells deals with his comments today and what will become of Joey.

Sparano was asked about Porter and his status with Miami during a press conference last week in Mobile. Sparano refused to comment (after all, the press conference was supposed to be about the Senior Bowl and players), but I got the impression there was a lot of unrest with the situation.

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Miami Dolphins' Joey Porter has told team he wants to be traded

DAVIE The Joey Porter saga picked up steam Monday.

The outspoken linebacker went on the Jim Rome show on ESPN and said he doesn't want to return to the Dolphins unless he is a full-time starter.

An NFL source confirmed that Porter has told the Dolphins he would like to be traded in the wake of a frustrating season.

Porter missed two games one because of injury and one because coach Tony Sparano deactivated him and his playing time was reduced, in part to make room for younger players such as Cameron Wake and Charlie Anderson.

Porter, who turns 33 on March 22, told Rome on his Miami Beach set that his situation "could easily have been fixed" by management.

However, the Dolphins might decide he is too expensive to keep because of his diminishing skills and up-and-down attitude.

The Dolphins have until March 4 to release Porter or pay him a $1 million roster bonus.

In addition, Porter is scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.8 million in 2010 and a $200,000 workout bonus.

If Miami releases Porter, the team would owe him nothing. :wave:

Reached on his cell phone Monday night, Porter declined to comment before hanging up.

Last week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland said Porter had not told the organization he wants to leave.

"Not to my knowledge," Ireland said.

Monday's interview with Rome wasn't the first time Porter has expressed his dissatisfaction with the 2009 season, his third with the Dolphins. Porter made similar comments two weeks ago during a radio interview in his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif.

Porter was a team captain and is a four-time Pro Bowl player, but last season he often left the field to make way for Wake, 27, and Anderson, 28.

Coaches also moved 13-year veteran Jason Taylor to the weak side normally Porter's domain often enough to bother Porter. In 2008, Porter produced a career-high 17.5 sacks while lining up in that spot. In 2009 he had nine.

Porter battled knee and hamstring injuries much of the season, finishing with a career-low 41 tackles.

Talking to Rome about his frustrations, he said he learned, "I can't fight the machine."

He was upset when the team deactivated him for the Nov. 15 home game against Tampa Bay. Sparano took that action after Porter was excused from practice on a Wednesday and Thursday to rest his knees but then was seen socializing Friday night.

Porter told Rome, "I went out for something to eat on Friday night."

Meanwhile, the Dolphins also have a decision to make on Taylor.

During a live chat Monday on NFL.com, Dolphins football czar Bill Parcells was non-committal about Taylor's return in 2010.

"I don't know the answer to the Taylor question at this moment," Parcells said. "He's a free agent as of March 5 and we haven't discussed it yet. We'll see where that goes when the time comes."

A few months after Parcells arrived in December 2007, the Dolphins traded Taylor to the Redskins.

Taylor rejoined Miami before last season and had a solid year, finishing with 42 tackles and tying for second on the team with seven sacks. He started 15 games at strong-side linebacker and also forced three fumbles, had five passes defensed and an interception.

However, Taylor will turn 36 on Sept. 1.

Last week at one of his charity events, Taylor said he hasn't made any decisions on his future, but would explore his options.

"It's a business," he said, "and we'll see where it takes us."
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-joey-porter-has-told-team-he-207350.html

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2010, 05:15 AM
the only possabilities i see for the mouth, is arizona (pittsbughs retirement community) , sanfran , KC and the browns....:noidea:

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
i hope peezy did what jerry rice did and signs back for us for 1 day to end his career as a steeler, that would be cool

Galax Steeler
02-02-2010, 06:20 AM
maybe they could move him to take over Farrior's spot.

That won't happen you would be replacing him with someone that is just is old and Farrior is still playing some good ball.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Don't see it happening in Pittsburgh, but he would definitely be a good leader in the locker room. Not sure if Tomlin would tolerate too much of his antics - especially with the media and all the hoopla from this season, but Steelers West will surely pick him up if he is released before the March deadline.

vasteeler
02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
if they taped his mouth shut i would be all for it

CanadianSteel
02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Porter wants to start....How about Jason Taylor for a year at DE instead to rotate in and keep guys fresh.....

steelpride12
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
We traded him because he was over his peak and slumping in performance why would we take him several seasons now down the road and expect any better?
Loved the guy he brought a mouthy edge to this defense, but his time as a Steeler is over and I don't see him in Black and Gold anymore in his career.

Prok
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Situational pass rusher. He was never above average against the run imo. But we already have our outside pass rushers in Harrison and Woodley. We got's no use for him imo.

SteelersMongol
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
i hope peezy did what jerry rice did and signs back for us for 1 day to end his career as a steeler, that would be cool

:drink: I still want 2 buy his Steelers jersey. Man, I loved the guy when he was with us.

Psyychoward86
02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
if they taped his mouth shut i would be all for it

.....WHAT? :jawdrop:

u hate porter's jawjacking antics?

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Who cares we already proved we don't need him 2 win it all.

Steely McSmash
02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Tomlin would not take Peazy back. He was a Cowher guy. I think he could replace Hagans in AZ. Could go to one of the newer 3-4 teams as a mentor and part time starter. Maybe JAX or Denver. Of course they shot him in Denver so maybe that's out.....

devilsdancefloor
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
he could warm up the troops and then keep deebos bench seat warm:noidea:

yeah 9 times out of 10 his mouth ran and he couldnt back it up. Good luck in arizona peezy!

SteelerFanInStl
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
We traded him because he was over his peak and slumping in performance why would we take him several seasons now down the road and expect any better?
Loved the guy he brought a mouthy edge to this defense, but his time as a Steeler is over and I don't see him in Black and Gold anymore in his career.

Porter was released not traded.

I liked Joey when he was with the Steelers but he was always just a pass rusher. There's no room on the Steelers now for him and I think that he'd be a distraction.

markymarc
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
There is no way Joey would be brought back to Pittsburgh. He wants to start and we need to get younger on defense. Could you imagine Joey in Baltimore :chuckle: