PDA

View Full Version : Steelers best receiver ever.

zulater
02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
This is the question. For one year, peak value, if you could have any Steeler receiver in the history of the franchise who would it be?

Don't get this confused, this isn't a culmative question, we're not judging the full body of work. This also isn't asking what was the greatest single season statistically by a Steeler receiver, though if you want to use that as your guideline fair enough.

Anyway I'm still not into a bunch of stat quotes here. I'm simply asking at the height of their abilities, when fully healthy, who was the best Steelers receiver ever?

Here's mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1NzOCftlow&feature=related

:tt:

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
PLAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hines Ward.

Steel City Mountaineer
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I might not have been alive during the zenith of the Swann/Stallworth era but I would take Hines Ward over any wide receiver that I have ever seen play on this squad. Unparalleled leadership and toughness make this a no brainer in my book.

Stillers43
02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
1. H. Ward
2. J. Stallworth
3. L. Swann
4. S. Holmes
5. L. Lipps
6. P. Burress
7. Y. Thigpen

Prok
02-02-2010, 11:48 AM
A dream scenario for me: Ben and THIS offense with John Stallworth as the #1 WR. I don't care who the OC is, he can't mess that up!!

Think the Patty's with moss and welker. welker gets all thoe hundreds of catches for first downs to keep drives going because moss keeps the safeties deep.

Well that's what Hines Ward and Santonio would be doing for us.Then to have a Heath Miller at TE? We'd be un freakin' stoppable imo.

:tt:

Steeldude
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
swann
stallworth
ward
lipps
dial
miller

stlrtruck
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Hines
Swann
Stallworth
Lipps
Miller

vrabinec
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I voted for Stallworth.

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
if stallworth and swann played in todays nfl with todays rules, they woulda been every bit as good as the duo of marvin harrison and reggie wayne.

MDSteel15
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
1. Hines
2. Stallworth
3. Lipps
4. Yancey Thigpin
5. Swann
6. Burress
7. Holmes

zulater
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I voted for Stallworth.

It was close for me, but I went Swann barely over Stallworth, with Hines a respecatable 3rd.

Career wise Stalworth had the greater value, no argument. And I think Stallworth was a bit of a late bloomer, so even though their careers paralled it's hard to say who was truly best when they were at their best. But in the end I let Bradshaw break the tie for me, and up until injuries started to slow him down, Swann was always Brad's number one.

I probably should have added Santonio to my poll, but i really didn't think he quite made the cut.

Other near misses were Yancey Thigpen, Roy Jefferson, and Buddy Dial. But of course I did leave the other option for write in votes.

SteelGhost
02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I voted Lynn Swann.

SteelGhost
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
It was close for me, but I went Swann barely over Stallworth, with Hines a respecatable 3rd.

Career wise Stalworth had the greater value, no argument. And I think Stallworth was a bit of a late bloomer, so even though their careers paralled it's hard to say who was truly best when they were at their best. But in the end I let Bradshaw break the tie for me, and up until injuries started to slow him down, Swann was always Brad's number one.

I probably should have added Santonio to my poll, but i really didn't think he quite made the cut.

Other near misses were Yancey Thigpen, Roy Jefferson, and Buddy Dial. But of course I did leave the other option for write in votes.

IMHO Yancey was better than Plax :noidea: and deserves a spot in the poll...but I respect your choices :drink:

ETL
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Here's my write in ballot:

1. Weegie Thompson
2. Theo Bell
3. Andre Hastings
4. Charles Davenport
5. Dwight stone

Seriously this is how this list should look:

1. Ward
2. Ward
3. Ward
4. Stallworth
5. Swann

(both holmes and Wallace have a chance at cracking this list)

zulater
02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
IMHO if Stallworth, Swann and Ward were on the same team, all at their peak, Hines would be the slot receiver, aka the 3rd wr and would only see limited playing time.

SteelerEmpire
02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I voted Swann... not because he had the stats ( he retired from the game at 30 so he could not get the stats). But because he put the "pizazz " and " glory " in it when you start talking about Steeler's WR's.
No doubt about it.... Swann was CERTAINLY the best BIG GAME receiver thus far out of any receiver since the 1970 merger... its like he waited until the playoffs and SB before he really showed off... AND HE SHOWED OFF BIG WHEN THE PLAYOFFS AND SB CAME AROUND...
In addition... I submit that he had the best hands out of any receiver I have seen... dropped balls was NOT part of his resume...
This guy REALLY put the Steeler WR's on the map... you can even ask the best WR's today who is one of their inspirations... I bet almost all of them will roll out the name Swann before any other Steeler receiver...

Prok
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Here's the thing about Ward vs a Stallworth or Swann...

If you've got a defender draped all over a Swann or Stallworth and ya absolutely have to throw it up and hope they get it you would feel fairly certain they'd get the damn ball. Not so much with Ward. And Ward doesn't get that seperation deep very often either.

So to me it comes down to Swann / Stallworth deep threats to go with good short route running vs Ward good route running, not so much a big play threat.

I voted Stallworth over Swann mainly because height and where he was drafted.

It's looking like Mike Wallace is filling that deep threat role and gonna be a hellova player for us for quite some time too. :applaudit:

Carolina Steelers
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
No Doubt its Hines i know times have changed with all the passing but lets not forget before Big Ben Hines QB's were Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham. None which were hall of famers. Swann and Stallworth had Bradshaw. Hines own all the records in less yrs. Stallworth played 2 more yrs as of right now the Stallworth. Swann had only 5,462 yds rec. Ward we double that

urgle burgle
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
for one year i go with swann.

what...no will blackwell....please

stlrtruck
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Didn't see Yancey Thigpen on there either!

Don't get fancy, just throw it to Yancey!

Psyychoward86
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM
1) Hines Ward
2) John Stallworth
3) Lynn Swann
4) Louis Lipps
5) Plax..........soon to be Holmes?

Btw, i just saw the Steelers/Vikings Superbowl on this one guy's youtube channel on Sunday, and a really interesting thing i saw is that Stallworth ran a 4.6 40 yard dash, and he was considered a speedster. Funny how times have changed. I think Hines is the best not because he holds dam near every record, but also because he's the toughest and most sure-handed wide receiver in our history.

Prok
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Didn't see Yancey Thigpen on there either!

Don't get fancy, just throw it to Yancey!

LOL

I remember those days. The old Ron Earhart offense I believe. 18 yard pass was considered a bomb. lol

zulater
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
No Doubt its Hines i know times have changed with all the passing but lets not forget before Big Ben Hines QB's were Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham. None which were hall of famers. Swann and Stallworth had Bradshaw. Hines own all the records in less yrs. Stallworth played 2 more yrs as of right now the Stallworth. Swann had only 5,462 yds rec. Ward we double that

Stallworth and Swann were both first team All Pro, something Ward's never achieved. Also Stallworth was 2nd team All Pro in 84 with Mark Malone and David Woodley throwing him the ball. And made the Pro Bowl again the following year with the same "dynamic duo" throwing him the ball.

You can't compare numbers, it was a different game then.

Again if you put Ward on the same team with Stallworth and Swann, Hines would have spent the better part of the game on the sidelines. "No doubt" about it.

Nadroj 20
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I dont think anyone can argue with the top 3 being Ward, Stallworth, and Swann in whatever order they choose.

devilsdancefloor
02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Lipps

steelerdave1969
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I have seen all those WR's play and if Stallworth had played with a QB in a pass happy offense like we have now he most likely would have out did Ward just for the fact he was a big time big play guy where Hines for the most point is a possession type WR. I love Hines and all he has brung to our Steelers, but Stallworth has to be the man.

steelerdave1969
02-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont think anyone can argue with the top 3 being Ward, Stallworth, and Swann in whatever order they choose.

Swann was soft and made 3 big plays in his career. I will take toughness and longevity over those 3 plays any day.

SH-Rock
02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Mike Wallace could potentially become the best Steelers WR in history and maybe in the NFL

Psyychoward86
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Mike Wallace could potentially become the best Steelers WR in history and maybe in the NFL

i dont think u know understand what it takes.

zulater
02-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Swann was soft and made 3 big plays in his career. I will take toughness and longevity over those 3 plays any day.

You just don't know what you don't know.

:shake01:

HometownGal
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
John Stallworth - hands down with Swanny close behind.

Steely McSmash
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I picked Lipps. Made it to two pro-bowls on Mark Malone's arm.

If it was for career it's be Stallworth over Ward by a nose.

SteelerFanInStl
02-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Swanny for me.

steelerdude15
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm going to have to go with Ward. Steelers receiving records and the best all around WR in the game today.

Steeldude
02-03-2010, 12:19 AM
everyone has their opinions and of course they entitled to them, but how can you pick thigpen, lipps or burress above swann? :smile:

Aussie_steeler
02-03-2010, 04:43 AM
John Stallworth for me. Closely followed by Hines and Swann

Galax Steeler
02-03-2010, 06:36 AM
I had to go with Ward. if I am needing a first down I would go to Ward he seems to be able to find that soft spot in the defense. Ward is by far the toughest most physical receiver Pittsburgh has ever seen.

Hobbes
02-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Got to go with Ward. Stallworth second. :tt:

markymarc
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd have to go with John Stallworth followed up by Hines Ward!

JPbucco
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I would add Lipps, not only a great receiver, but a dynamite punt returner.

AllD
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
This is easy:

1A: Lynn Swann
1B: John Stallworth
1C: Hines Ward

Honorable mentions to Santonio Holmes Heath Miller because their careers have not yet peaked.

Psyychoward86
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Miller catches the ball like a gem, but he's a tight end. This is shocking news, i know.