PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Will Not Draft A Nose Tackle In Round 1

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Bowl media day is here, the Senior Bowl has come and gone. The NFL combine is just three weeks away and I have enough info to make my first huge prediction for the 2010 draft concerning the Steelers. The Steelers will not draft a nose tackle in round 1. There, I said it. That prediction will make a few of Steeler Nation mad and please the same amount.

Cody Williams ThomasThere is no doubt that the Steelers need depth and future at the position, especially considering that Casey Hampton could be gone in 2010 if no deal is reached or the franchise tag is not used on him. Even if he stays just one more year, Hampton is not an every down nose tackle and comes out most times on passing downs. The problem lies in the fact that there are no true nose tackles that fit what the Steelers need that deserve first round consideration.

I apologize to all of the Dan Williams and Terrence Cody fans out there, but I knew Cody would slip and Williams now needs a great combine in my opinion to keep his late first round chances alive. Right now, I just do not see either being worth the 18th pick of the draft. The good news is that if both continue to fall, one very well could fall into the Steelers lap in round 2. Another by-product of them falling also pushes the other nose tackle talent down the board as well. One of my favorites that flew under the radar until Senior Bowl week is Cam Thomas. I proclaimed him one to watch last week and he did not disappoint. A great combine could bolt him to 3rd round status and right into a Steelers uniform.

If not a nose tackle in round one, then what position? Well, that is a question that we will continue to dissect as we move closer to the draft. I will have future articles dedicated to that very question, but I can tell you right now, if the Steelers stay at pick 18, they will not be drafting a nose tackle with that pick. Cross that position off of your list.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/02/steelers-will-not-draft-a-nose-tackle-in-round-1/

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe they select a CB because William Gay really sucked this year.

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
one thing these people don't take into account is that while there may be 4 prospects that have a legit chance of being a starter in the nfl...there is no less than 6 teams in need of 3-4 NT ...not to mention not ONLY will these guys only be looked at by 3-4 teams but 4-3 teams can use them too....some people act like the steelers are the only team in need of these specific type of Dlinemen...:doh:

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe they select a CB because William Gay really sucked this year.

i doubt it, he was the best nickelback last year in 2008 and filled in really good during bryan mcfaddens injury, so good that they then split time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
i doubt it, he was the best nickelback last year in 2008 and filled in really good during bryan mcfaddens injury, so good that they then split time.

Yeah, but he was the easy target of opposing QB's in 2009 and probably the least willing CB on the roster to come up in run support on pitches or bubble screens. Burnett and/or Lewis will probably surpass him....so might as well start looking for a solution at CB in the draft with a premium pick.

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I would like to see the steelers tag Casey and get one more year out of him. Draft a guy like Cam Tomas late so he can step in next year. I think this years draft is so full of top flight DB talent in the first two rounds that the FO can't afford to miss out and not draft S / CB with both of there first two picks. When was the last time they spent a first round pick on a top tier CB. We all know the last time they spent the first pick on a safety .
Not to mention the league is getting more pass happy every year, and with the secondaries poor performance a season ago (yes I realize we did not have Troy) this is prime time to spend those fist two picks on that secondary. Come on FO don't let us down , keep up the strong draft record and go get us two prime time DB's.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but he was the easy target of opposing QB's in 2009 and probably the least willing CB on the roster to come up in run support on pitches or bubble screens. Burnett and/or Lewis will probably surpass him....so might as well start looking for a solution at CB in the draft with a premium pick.

what he had some tackles for loss on screens, he had about 3 against tennessee, write what you only know please.

actually he wasn't the easy target, ike taylor was, gay only let qbs throw completions 54% of the time and ike taylor was in the 60's.

Northside Jonny
02-02-2010, 03:40 PM
what he had some tackles for loss on screens, he had about 3 against tennessee, write what you only know please.

actually he wasn't the easy target, ike taylor was, gay only let qbs throw completions 54% of the time and ike taylor was in the 60's.

Either way u look at it supa that is just way to high a percentage of completions!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just :poop:!!!!!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Gay, who had one interception last season, seems to be a frequent target for opposing quarterbacks, as much because teams tend to throw away from Taylor when he is guarding the other team's top receiver.

Baltimore's Mark Clayton had seven catches for 129 yards Sunday -- both season highs -- when he was matched, for the most part, against Gay. Even coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that Gay might continue to be targeted by other teams

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09339/1018633-66.stm#ixzz0ePgh4Uyt

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Here is something that not only I know, but ESPN columnist James Walker knows as well.

Biggest need: The William Gay experiment didn’t go well. So look for the Steelers to upgrade the cornerback position. Perhaps budding rookie cornerbacks Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett can make enough strides in their second year to fill the void. Cornerback also could be a target with Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (No. 18) in April.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/william-gay

So the Steelers may not draft a NT in the 1st round, they may need to go CB.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
So, look at Ike Taylor go read up his stats... http://profootball.scout.com/2/926374.html

taylor is an overrated piece of shit, i for one cant wait until his contract is up.

and this was by early december

Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers: Quarterbacks have gone after the seventh-year corner a 90 times this season, more than any other defender in the NFL. Taylor has allowed a league-high 54 catches (60 percent) for 679 yards and two touchdowns. He's broken-up 11 attempts.

Bryant McFadden, Arizona Cardinals: 87 passes have been thrown McFadden's way, and he's allowed 45 completions (51.7 percent) for 648 yards and a score. He's knocked away 13 throws.

WAIT WAIT WERES WILLIAM GAY? HE ISNT EVEN ON THAT *CENSORED* LIST OF BURNED PEOPLE.

quit hating you would stink up the position yourself so whilst he is a Steeler, show some friggin respect and support for our players.

And when clayton got that 60 yard reception that wasnt Gays fault, Ryan Clark could of batted the ball down but went for the big hit.

Gay also forced clayton a fumble that game.

with that post gazette crap ike taylor was targeted over 100 times this season, gay was not even targeted 70 times.

Usually you go after the second corner on the team.

taztroy43
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
So, look at Ike Taylor go read up his stats... http://profootball.scout.com/2/926374.html

taylor is an overrated piece of shit, i for one cant wait until his contract is up.

and this was by early december

WAIT WAIT WERES WILLIAM GAY? HE ISNT EVEN ON THAT *CENSORED* LIST OF BURNED PEOPLE.

quit hating you would stink up the position yourself so whilst he is a Steeler, show some friggin respect and support for our players.

And when clayton got that 60 yard reception that wasnt Gays fault, Ryan Clark could of batted the ball down but went for the big hit.

Gay also forced clayton a fumble that game.

with that post gazette crap ike taylor was targeted over 100 times this season, gay was not even targeted 70 times.

Usually you go after the second corner on the team.

Whoa!!!! dude its El Gonzo's opinion and the opinion of a lot of people....Yes w/o polamalu both our CB struggled!!! But you can't say that Ike "Taylor is an overrated piece of shit"...If he's so overrated then why isn't Gay up against the #1 receiver every game?????????:doh:......Gay struggles w/ the #2 receiver and Ike struggles w/ the #1 receiver/target....So it's more understandable if you are prone to struggling w/ every teams #1 RECIEVER not the #2 guy....In order to be the #1 Reciever you're usually the #1 target by the QB...and that #1 reciever is the best most talented WR on the team.....so Ike goes up against that player every Sunday....Gay only goes up against the other guy!!! So I wouldn't blurt out that "Taylor is an overrated piece of shit"....So tell me, who should take on the opponent's #1 receiver every Sunday?????Gay?????I seriously hope that it not your answer....I mean the guy struggled but you can only wish him the best....but if there are better guys available in the draft....the Steelers would pull the trigger on one of them....and besides we still have Burnett and Lewis....we still gotta see how they pan out......

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Whoa!!!! dude its El Gonzo's opinion and the opinion of a lot of people....Yes w/o polamalu both our CB struggled!!! But you can't say that Ike "Taylor is an overrated piece of shit"...If he's so overrated then why isn't Gay up against the #1 receiver every game?????????:doh:......Gay struggles w/ the #2 receiver and Ike struggles w/ the #1 receiver/target....So it's more understandable if you are prone to struggling w/ every teams #1 RECIEVER not the #2 guy....In order to be the #1 Reciever you're usually the #1 target by the QB...and that #1 reciever is the best most talented WR on the team.....so Ike goes up against that player every Sunday....Gay only goes up against the other guy!!! So I wouldn't blurt out that "Taylor is an overrated piece of shit"....So tell me, who should take on the opponent's #1 receiver every Sunday?????Gay?????I seriously hope that it not your answer....I mean the guy struggled but you can only wish him the best....but if there are better guys available in the draft....the Steelers would pull the trigger on one of them....and besides we still have Burnett and Lewis....we still gotta see how they pan out......

Easy there Taztroy43. Forget who the Steelers coaches think shoud matchup against, or what professional sports reporters or pro talent evaluators/ scouts think. Its all in the statistics. :rolleyes:

William Gay was a nickelback and did a nice job. But when he became a starter he struggled. Matt Williamson of Scouts inc.

The William Gay experiment didnít go well. James Walker ESPN

Mike Tomlin acknowledged that Gay might continue to be targeted by other teams and said, "He better not blink."

I agree with the OP. Steelers will not draft a NT. They should look at CB.

supa_fly_steeler
02-02-2010, 05:22 PM

the thing is gay has had 1 bad year, and 1 great year, and 1 good rookie average year.

Ike pulls this crap after every super bowl win, i like the dude alot but some good things come to a end. I am lobbying for us to grab patrick robinson or kyle wilson in the early rounds to be the eventual successor to Ike Taylor in 2 years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
The ideal situation is to make Ike Taylor your No. 2 corner and bring in a No. 1-type corner. Then you’re really talking. The rest can play nickel and dime positions. Todd Williamson, Scouts Inc.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag/_/name/william-gay

taztroy43
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
the thing is gay has had 1 bad year, and 1 great year, and 1 good rookie average year.

Ike pulls this crap after every super bowl win, i like the dude alot but some good things come to a end. I am lobbying for us to grab patrick robinson or kyle wilson in the early rounds to be the eventual successor to Ike Taylor in 2 years.

Yeah its true Ike has to be a little more consistent...but I think he does a decent job....as for Gay....put it this way...he can only get better after a disappointing season and I'm hoping he does get better!!!....shoot, our whole secondary had a very disappointing season....this was mainly because Troy P was out for practically the whole season and let's not forget about Aaron Smith...I think either of those two guys that u mentioned would be a great addition to our secondary(Robinson or Wilson)...For me personally I would want the Steelers to pick up CB Kyle Wilson....he had a solid Senior Bowl week and a pretty decent game....Patrick Robinson would be a great pickup as well...But I would want the Steelers to pick either of them in Round 2.....like you mentioned, either of these guys, would eventually be the successor to Ike Taylor....

taztroy43
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
The ideal situation is to make Ike Taylor your No. 2 corner and bring in a No. 1-type corner. Then youíre really talking. The rest can play nickel and dime positions. Todd Williamson, Scouts Inc.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag/_/name/william-gay

I agree w/ that assessment!!!:thumbsup: