PDA

View Full Version : Getting Killed in the Polls

thatguy37
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I recently saw a poll asking, "What would be the best venue for the Super Bowl in 2012?"

My first thought was Heinz Field, but it is getting killed in the polls. Even Sports Illustrated ranked it as one of the best stadiums in the NFL. I may be biased so I was interested to hear what other people thought.

If you want to see the poll or cast your vote you can find it at:
http://www.teentraveltalk.com/poll/

vrabinec
02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I love Our stadium, but if I'm going to a Super Bowl, I want to go to a warm weather site. Miami and San Diego are great places to go for a Super Bowl.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
The only reason the new stadium for the Jets/Giants is being considered is because the New York City area is the country's biggest media market, followed by Los Angeles.

But for the most part, the Super Bowl is played in warm climates or in a cold weather city with a domed stadium.

So unless they find a way to put a temporary dome over Heinz Field for the Super Bowl, Pittsburgh will never host one.

steelreserve
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Seeing as how they've already decided to play the 2012 Super Bowl in Indianapolis, it doesn't much matter whether anyone thinks Pittsburgh is a good location.

I doubt they'll ever schedule a Super Bowl in a cold-weather city with an outdoor stadium. The Steelers might not have any problem selling out games with snow and single-digit temperatures, but if that happened for the Super Bowl it wouldn't be very tourist-friendly, which is mostly what the league cares about.

thatguy37
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
The weather is a challenge. I think they would still sell out though. I mean, what tests the mettle of two super bowl contenders more than a long battle in freezing temperatures and snow flurries?

California-Steel
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
69% at the time I looked is not being killed by any stretch. However there have only been 29 voters at this time so the numbers don't really mean much.

However, like already stated you need the SB to be in a warm weather stadium or a dome. It most likely will never be held at Heinz Field.

steelreserve
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
The weather is a challenge. I think they would still sell out though. I mean, what tests the mettle of two super bowl contenders more than a long battle in freezing temperatures and snow flurries?

They don't care about selling out. They care about the Super Bowl Experience, which means a lot of free-spending bigshots and people on corporate expense accounts having a relaxing and comfortable time as they jerk each other off and drop tens of thousands of dollars on entertainment. They want it to be a high-roller, party-resort experience so it can ever further define itself as THE Big Event To Pay Attention To.

What they do not want is people to fly into town just to see a football game. They don't care about what the football game proves as a test of character. And I hate to say it, but even if the weather was perfect, Pittsburgh does not have the Party Town diversions and tourist destinations of a place like Miami, or New Orleans, or New York or Los Angeles. They give out a Super Bowl to a "regular" city like Detroit or Pittsburgh or Indianapolis in one case only, which is when there's a Shiny New Stadium to show off. And we missed the boat on that one too; Heinz Field isn't new enough to be considered "brand new" anymore, and it doesn't have some first-of-its-kind Wowee technology, and it doesn't have a theme park attached.

Sorry, but the league doesn't care about Pittsburgh, and it ain't happening.

stlrtruck
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
It is probably better that Pittsburgh doesn't get it. Last year, when it was here in Tampa, I was talking to a man who worked closely with the city projects. I naturally assumed that by having the SB in your city would help increase revenue. He said specifically that having the SB actually takes away money from the area because of the necessary security, set up, clean up, etc. that goes with having such an event.

Prok
02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
They don't care about selling out. They care about the Super Bowl Experience, which means a lot of free-spending bigshots and people on corporate expense accounts having a relaxing and comfortable time as they jerk each other off and drop tens of thousands of dollars on entertainment. They want it to be a high-roller, party-resort experience so it can ever further define itself as THE Big Event To Pay Attention To.

What they do not want is people to fly into town just to see a football game. They don't care about what the football game proves as a test of character. And I hate to say it, but even if the weather was perfect, Pittsburgh does not have the Party Town diversions and tourist destinations of a place like Miami, or New Orleans, or New York or Los Angeles. They give out a Super Bowl to a "regular" city like Detroit or Pittsburgh or Indianapolis in one case only, which is when there's a Shiny New Stadium to show off. And we missed the boat on that one too; Heinz Field isn't new enough to be considered "brand new" anymore, and it doesn't have some first-of-its-kind Wowee technology, and it doesn't have a theme park attached.

Sorry, but the league doesn't care about Pittsburgh, and it ain't happening.

This.

With the cherry on top being we just don't have that domed stadium. Hey, at least cleveland will never host a SB either. :tt:

Psyychoward86
02-02-2010, 04:36 PM
getting killed in the poll? lolwat. We have 74% of the vote atm.

steelreserve
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Also, who gives a rat's ass about HOSTING the Super Bowl? I'd much rather be IN the Super Bowl and have it keep being in Florida or somewhere.

Unless the Steelers actually made it to the Super Bowl when it was at Heinz Field, it would be completely irrelevant ... and in fact, it would probably piss a lot of people off to see a bunch of celebrating Colts fans (or whoever was in it instead of us) parading around the city all week.

Galax Steeler
02-03-2010, 06:48 AM
getting killed in the poll? lolwat. We have 74% of the vote atm.

I noticed that to Pittsburgh is way ahead.

XxKnightxX
02-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Super bowl in New York....Ahem I mean New Jersey wont happen. One the weather and the stadium isnt domed, and two the stadium is in New Jersey sorrounded by highways and swamps. And the towns sorrounding Giants Stadium are all Semi Suburbs. It would be a massive challenge that no one can probably would want to deal with.

HometownGal
02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
I say bring the Super Bowl to Heinz Field and let 'em play football in the bitter cold, snow and wind that exemplifies Pittsburgh in early February. :thumbsup:

I really don't think the weather here would keep the warm weather diehard Super Bowl junkies away. They're paying top dollar for a ticket to the big game, so what's a few bucks more for a parka, gloves and boots and a flask full of warm-you-up hooch to hide under their newly purchased parka? :drink:

markymarc
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I would just like to see 1 Super Bowl played in a cold weathered city without a dome. It would be great for Heinz Field to host a Super Bowl.