PDA

View Full Version : My first 7-round draft for 2010

vtw8lftr
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
1st - Dan Williams, NT - Succesor to Casey Hampton in case they don't sign/tag him
2nd - Brandon Spikes, ILB - A steal in the 2nd if he falls this far... excellent depth for our LB core
3rd - Jerome Murphy, CB - Hard hitting and sure tackling...
4th - Ciron Black, OT - Another good line project... can play RT or G... probably won't fall this far
5th - Kurt Coleman, S - All-BIg Ten Second Team '08 / All-Big Ten First Team '09
5th - Joique Bell, RB - Can catch and run but after the combine I have a feeling his stock will soar
5th - Freddie Barnes, WR - Everyone's saying he is moving up... so I did from the 7th
6th - John Estes, C - First teamer and very durable... good project to replace Hartwig
7th - Rusty Smith, QB - Injured last year but has shown good poise against SEC competition... good project
7th - Alex Steigerwald, K - meh... doesn't hurt to have a couple of kickers to look at

jonslow
02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
1st - Dan Williams, NT
2nd - Brandon Spikes, ILB
3rd - Jerome Murphy, CB
4th - Ciron Black, OT
5th - Kurt Coleman, S
5th - Joique Bell, RB
6th - John Estes, C
7th - Freddie Barnes, WR
7th - Alex Steigerwald, K

I love the Freddie Barnes pick. He's going to make a great slot receiver in the NFL. He's not the fastest receiver, but he runs good routes and has great hands. Definitely a guy I want to see in a Steelers uniform. However, I don't think he'll slip to the seventh round. Despite not attending the Senior Bowl, scouts still have him on their radar. I was in Mobile and talked to several people who wanted to see him there last week. I expect him to go somewhere in the fourth round.

I'm not a big fan of the Dan Williams pick, though. At #18, there is going to be so much more value. Guys like Earl Thomas, Mike Iupati (possibly), Patrick Robinson, Brian Bulaga... all guys that would have more of a first-year impact than Williams I think. Cam Thomas is a guy we can get in later rounds that impressed me even more than Williams did last week.

Joicque Bell was a really pleasant surprise at the Senior Bowl. Coming from a small school (Wayne St, Div II), he flew in under a lot of peoples' radars, but he looked very good last week and I love his running style. He'd be a great backup to Mendenhall in the near future.

Overall, good work! :thumbsup:

vtw8lftr
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I had a tough time deciding between Earl Thomas, Dan Williams, Lupati, and Bulaga... I have them all on my radar screen as well for the first round.

MDSteel15
02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
You left out a 5th rounder :noidea:

vtw8lftr
02-04-2010, 07:34 AM
You left out a 5th rounder :noidea:

In that case I would probably throw in MIcah if he was available... don't know if he will drop that far.

SteelerNation12
02-05-2010, 06:26 AM
No reasons why? Its pretty easy just to throw a bunch of players in rounds and post. Barnes isn't falling to the 7th round, no way no how.

vtw8lftr
02-05-2010, 07:54 AM
No reasons why? Its pretty easy just to throw a bunch of players in rounds and post. Barnes isn't falling to the 7th round, no way no how.

I did not have the time to explain my selections (at work :flap:)

What's funny is I had never heard of Barnes until I was reading Walter Football and they had him listed as a potential 7th rounder at WR... I researched a few of the 7th round WRs and he seemed to have the best skill set... now everyone seems to think he is going a lot earlier than that. Apparently Walter Football has not updated their WR listings.

I also have a feeling Joique Bell is not lasting until 5th... his stock is rising.

All of these mock drafts are just guesses anyways... it is more a means of stating who you hope they will draft and a lot of HOPE that some of these players fall that far so your team can draft a gem in the late rounds.

vtw8lftr
02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
OK... time to modify with the signing of Hampton... also I heard we only get a 5th and 7th compensatory pick this year

1st - Earl Thomas, S: Stud DB that can play CB or S
2nd - Brandon Spikes, ILB: Prototypical 3-4 ILB... great future replacement for Farrior
3rd - Cam Thomas / Torrell Troupe, NT: Whichever becomes heir apparent to Hampton
4th - Amari Spievey, CB: Very talented corner that may get lost until the middle rounds
5th - Joique Bell, RB: Can catch and run but I have a feeling his stock will soar
5th - Freddie Barnes, WR: Excellent route runner
6th - John Estes, C - First teamer and very durable... good project to replace Hartwig
7th - Rusty Smith, QB - Injured last year but has shown good poise against SEC competition... good project
7th - Carl Ihenacho, DE/LB - Very good under-rated player out of San Jose State