PDA

View Full Version : Depressed now...thanks a lot NFL Network

hammy36
02-03-2010, 11:25 PM
So I just relived the heartbreak of Neil O'Douschel in Super Bowl XXX. I thought my broken heart at the time was just because I was 15...nope. Now to the DVR of Super Bowl XLIII, or the DVD of any of; IX, X, XIII, XIV or XL to cheer me back up. Feeling better just typing all those roman numerals:tt02:

Northside Jonny
02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm still convinced that game was fixed!

SteelC7
02-04-2010, 02:26 AM
ya it was fixed, dipshit o'donnell must have had a gambling debt or something because how else do u explain him throwing 2 passes to larry brownnose, the cowgirls "other" CB, not deion sanders the HoFer, the 7th rd pick CB larry brown...WOW is all i can say

Galax Steeler
02-04-2010, 03:39 AM
I can not stand to watch that one it totally sucked.:banging:

steel striker
02-04-2010, 04:42 AM
I'm still in denile about that game and, prior to that game Neil played really well that year. He gave that game away and, I've never seen anything like that.

lionslicer
02-04-2010, 06:00 AM
On the last interception, it was the exact play they ran previously... I either thought it was stupid or fixed =P

HometownGal
02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Oh for God's sake - the guy had a once in a blue moon horrible game and unfortunately it was the Super Bowl. The game was not fixed and O'Donnell wasn't "paid off" to throw those picks. :banging:

The offseason sucks.

That is all.

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Oh for God's sake - the guy had a once in a blue moon horrible game and unfortunately it was the Super Bowl. The game was not fixed and O'Donnell wasn't "paid off" to throw those picks. :banging:

The offseason sucks.

That is all.

Agreed. O'Donnell had an excellent season that year and played well and smart in his games, just a bad break against the NFC Champs in the SB.

Grr yes offseason can just bring out the worst, only 5 months till training camp, lucky me I live in Latrobe! :thumbsup:

fansince'76
02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
O'Donnell wasn't really that good to begin with - just so happens he played like the journeyman he was in SB XXX.

devilsdancefloor
02-04-2010, 08:27 AM

The offseason sucks.

That is all.

bu buutt but HTG he was just look he got paid off it was all fixed. i have heard about super bowls being fixed hmmmm hmmmm oh yeah the seahags fans! lets be above those "it was fixed" seahags fans. we lost Neil had a bad game it happens.

CanadianSteel
02-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Neil was just horrible that whole game.... and was bailed out many times by his WR making fantastic catches on off target throws. The receivers and Bam Morris played really well that game.
Dont think the game was fixed at all, QB just sucked which makes you appreciate Ben after watching that performance.
When there was any pressure in the pocket, Odonnell just fell to the ground ala Peyton Manning....

smokin3000gt
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
It looked to me like the ball may have been tipped on the last INT but there wasn't a good replay angle to see for sure. ah well.. we've got the last two SB's to look back on and forget 1996.

steelerchad
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
My dad still thinks that game was fixed. As much as it hurts the Cowboys were the better team that year. We had a chance at the end, but it was a bad read. I believe I heard an interview that may have even said the receiver ran the route on that play. He read something different than O'Donnell on the route and cut up and in instead of out.

mulldog24
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
You win with class, you loose with class, thats how I see it! We lost but gave the Cowboys all they wanted.

steelerdave1969
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
The Steelers had every opportunity to win that game and Neil O'Donnell was not the cause for it. The guy was so off on most all his throws, his WR's Andre Hastings and Ernie Mills made real good catch and catch to even make him look as good as he was. I couldnt remember S Darren Perry being such a big hitter to be honest with ya, but the guy couldnt cover me.. lol. Cant believe no one has said a word about those LB's on the outside for the Steelers. Greene and Lloyd and Kirkland were a great crew there. And Dont Forget Carnell Lake... how about teaming him up with Troy Polomalu in the secondary?...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM

:rofl: Nice post.

I actually watched the game last night and it was a good game. So Neil throws the out and I think it was Hastings runs the up.....just miscommunication. Gotta say the 2005 SB win exorcisized those demons and it doesnt sting any more for me.

How about that onside kick recovery??? Did you see John L Williams lay that block on the Bam Morris TD??:jawdrop: NOW, THAT is how you seal the edge!!!!

Northside Jonny
02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
bu buutt but HTG he was just look he got paid off it was all fixed. i have heard about super bowls being fixed hmmmm hmmmm oh yeah the seahags fans! lets be above those "it was fixed" seahags fans. we lost Neil had a bad game it happens.

The offseason sucks.

That is all.

You guys make me sick and so does that game:puke:!!! I Guess I can live with 6 wins in 7 superbowls. 7 for 7 would be that much sweeter . Guess we owed Dallas one!!! I will go to the grave convinced that game was fixed.

Steelillini
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I still think the Dallas DB's hitting our receivers hard all game long had an effect. The pass before the 2nd pick should have been caught but our receivers were hearing footsteps at that point. We did have the Cowgirls on the ropes until that point, too bad we couldn't finish off what would have been a huge upset, the NFC was in the middle of their domination at that point............

SteelMember
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
How can you guys say it was fixed? If it was fixed, WE would have won.

Well, that according to every other fan not rooting for the black 'n gold in every single "other" Super Bowl we're in. :rolleyes:

SteelGhost
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think it was fixed, but It still hurts. I never liked Neil O'Donnell, he was an average QB IMHO. I agree with fs'76 ....

O'Donnell wasn't really that good to begin with - just so happens he played like the journeyman he was in SB XXX

supa_fly_steeler
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Who cares about O'Donnell when we got ace the roethlisberger he throw touchdown every game nobody can prevent his greatness

Prok
02-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't think it was fixed, but It still hurts. I never liked Neil O'Donnell, he was an average QB IMHO. I agree with fs'76 ....

I spent many a year wondering when we were going to target a QB in the 1st round of the draft and go get him. Cowher would have had at least another ring had he went after one early imo.

Now I find myself thanking God that Ben slipped to #11 and fell in our laps. :tt:

SteelGhost
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I spent many a year wondering when we were going to target a QB in the 1st round of the draft and go get him. Cowher would have had at least another ring had he went after one early imo.

Now I find myself thanking God that Ben slipped to #11 and fell in our laps. :tt:

Well, at least in the 1990's Draft (when they picked NO in the 3rd round) they selected Eric Green in the 1st. and Barry Foster on the 5th. :chuckle:

Northside Jonny
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
How can you guys say it was fixed? If it was fixed, WE would have won.

Well, that according to every other fan not rooting for the black 'n gold in every single "other" Super Bowl we're in. :rolleyes:

Lol!!!! When your the best franchise in a sport i guess you just have to learn to live with other jelousy. I still say the fix was in.

solardave
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm still convinced that game was fixed!

JJ bought him!!!

LVSteelersfan
02-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Hastings dropped an easy pass on the play before that INT that would have put the Steelers close to the red zone. So I say it is his fault as much as Odonell's. I have nothing against Neil after all the crap QBs that preceded him. The Kordell experiment galls me to this day. If they would have just insisted that he be a WR or move him around the field like Reggie Bush, I think we could have been awesome. He was never an accurate QB. Kind of Michael Vickish, erratic and all over the place.

SteelersMongol
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh for God's sake - the guy had a once in a blue moon horrible game and unfortunately it was the Super Bowl. The game was not fixed and O'Donnell wasn't "paid off" to throw those picks. :banging: ...

Kinda like Brett Favre's 2009 season?

It would've been so much better 2 look at 7 Lombardies instead of 6. 2 B honest, I kinda like that 1996 SB loss. It teaches us how 2 B humble. U can't get always get what U wanted. But 1 SB loss is good enough, I hope it doesn't ever happen again.

mesaSteeler
02-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Exorcizing Demons.
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/blogngold/archive/2010/02/04/exorcizing-demons.aspx

Last night the NFL Network rebroadcast Super Bowl XXX and I did something I haven't done since January 28, 1996.

I watched the game. In it's entirety.

For some Pittsburgh sports fans of a certain age, Sid Bream's slide in the 1992 NLCS is the moment that triggers their bile reflux, for others it's David Volek dashing the Penguins hope of a three-peat in 1993, and some couldn't get past Dennis Gibson slapping the ball -- and a Steelers' Super Bowl trip -- to the soggy Three Rivers Stadium turf in the 1994 AFC Championship game.

For me, it was Super Bowl XXX.

Neil O' Donnell probably would've thrown to Linda Blair if she had a Cowboys uniform on.

I was a homesick freshman at a small school in pre-Ravens Baltimore. Catching the occassional Steelers game was my only salve. Two guys on my (Division III) football team were Steelers fans and had turned me on to a place called The Purple Goose Saloon. This was the hub of the Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Club of Baltimore and had close to 1,000 members at that time. The club now encompasses the entire state of Maryland and boasts 4,800 members that convene at 6 bars across the Free State. I watched a few games there during the 1995 season, most notably the Steelers last games against the "old" Browns, and loved the joint.

My school had a particularly long winter break, so I experienced the ecstacy of the AFC Championship game against the Colts first-hand at Three Rivers. I returned to campus for the Spring semester on Super Bowl eve. Our fraternity had a 'welcome back' party that night, and aided by the lucidity of several beers, the three of us decided around midnight it would be a fantastic idea to head to the Goose at 5 a.m. and camp out for the bar's 8 a.m. opening.

Even with kickoff more than 12 hours away, we weren't the first people to show. Some chap from Greensburg who was a dead-ringer for the Body By Jake guy had already been there for an hour, by himself.

More folks gathered and we started tailgating.

At 6 a.m. in late-January.

In Baltimore.

In a bar parking lot.

You gotta love Steelers fans.

The doors finally opened and we grabbed a spot in front of the massive projection screen. We thought it prudent to wait until at least noon to really start hitting the sauce, because, you know, we wanted to actually see the game. That gambit lasted an entire hour until a middle-aged woman named 'Sharky' gulping a Bloody Mary walked by, noticed our coffees and tersely remarked: "What are you kids in college? Get a beer you wimps!"

Bartender, a round please.

They stocked the place with Iron City and we did our best to un-stock them. Mind you, I was only 18-years old, although according to my fake ID -- procured from a kid in my dorm who made a mint selling them -- I was 22-year-old Tucker Orr, of 1615 Oakhurst St., Portland, Maine.

The day was truly a blast. The place easily exceeded their fire code capacity -- about 300 strong. We sang the Steelers Polka and Here We Go! song until our throats bled, stuffed our faces with food and drank an ocean of Arn. I won a prize for having Steelers boxer shorts on under my jeans. This was the pre-cell phone era and the pay phone at the bar had an hour wait, so long was the line of people wanting to call friends and family back in Pittsburgh. I'm lucky to have traveled to Steelers clubs and bars around the country (and world -- here's lookin' at you, La Botticella) but the Baltimore group has always been among my favorites.

goose

I needn't go on about the outcome of the game. Getting blown out would've been so much easier to take.

The club's founder, a fella named Jim Day who in the six-degrees-of-Pittsburgh-category was my high school biology teacher's brother-in-law, fought tears and channeled his best Coach Cowher in spittle-laden postgame address to the club: "Hold your heads up! This was a great season and we have every reason to be proud!" ... before pausing and letting fly a blue streak of frustration and throwing a beer cup against the wall.

We came back to campus that night and I remember crossing N. Charles St. looking almost catatonic in my Mean Joe jersey. Some folks in a car at a redlight saw my jersey and long face rolled down the window and said "It's OK. It was a great game and they'll be back again." That memory makes me laugh because starting that fall, they would've spit on a Steelers fan in the same situation.

I had a VHS of the game and the season highlight video but could never bring myself to watch it. Until last night. No bile reflux. Just catharsis.

Fourteen years and two Super Bowl victories is good therapy.

Some quick thoughts about the game after 14 years:

* Neil O' Donnell truly blew it. I know this is obvious, but watching it again with a clear mind and 14 years of perspective, he choked in spectacular fashion. He hurried everything, his touch was awful, and you would've thought he was trying to kill his receivers the way he led them into coverage.

* Levon Kirkland was a beast. Shame that guy never got a ring.

* LeBeau's halftime adjustments were masterful. The Cowboys scorched the Steelers like Sherman in Atlanta and were almost entirely shut down in the second half. They scored only because of the short field given to them via O' Donnell's picks.

* That crowd was roaring for the Steelers. Roaring. America's Team my foot.

* Cowher's onside kick call is still one of the best coaching gambles I've ever seen. And Norm Johnson executed the best onside kick, probably ever.

* I truly never knew that Larry Brown's son had died earlier that season. At least the right guy got to be the hero that day.

* I'd forgotten that Jason Gildon was even on that team, as a young special teams player. Amazing how the Steelers have molded four consecutive dominant right-side rushers -- Lloyd, Gildon, Porter, Harrison -- and they all cut their teeth on special teams.

* Postseason records since that game: Dallas 2-7, have not advanced past NFC divisional round; Pittsburgh 12-6, two Super Bowl titles.

* Any memories of that game? Share them in the comments.

Posted Feb 04 2010, 03:30 PM by Dan Gigler