View Full Version : Report: Foote to test free agency

mesaSteeler
02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Report: Foote to test free agency
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Foote-to-test-free-agency.html
by Brad Biggs
February 04, 02010
Print This

Larry Foote embraced the opportunity to join 0-16 last spring. He relished the chance to play for his hometown Detroit Lions after the Pittsburgh Steelers let him go following the draft.

Foote, who played on a one-year deal and led the team in tacklers, serving as a fine leader, might have to head elsewhere. John Niyo of the Detroit News reports that Foote is intent on exploring the free-agent market starting March 5 as the team has shown little interest in him to this point.

"We're just going to free agency and see from there," Foote told Niyo. "I mean, obviously, I'm not a big priority for them. So that's just how I'm taking it."

Would it make sense for the Lions to let him go? Foote is 29 and rookie DeAndre Levy excelled, proving that he can play in the middle, where Foote was, or on the outside. Former first-round pick Ernie Sims did not have a good season. It might make more sense to bring Foote back and let Sims go.

"Just from the business side of it, with a team that's been losing, they don't normally invest in veteran players that much, no matter how good you played," he said. "Because a veteran at my age -- I mean, I'm still fairly young -- I'm just a piece of the pie, I'm not the base of a team."

There’s new leadership in Detroit. They should be given a chance. But the organization has traditionally followed one blunder with another. Stay tuned.

(Does anyone want him back? If so, at what price? - mesa)

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
We need youth in our defense and our course Timmons is the more solid choice in this situation. He may have plenty of room to improve, but that's what Lebeau and experience is for and I see no chance of Foote returning to the Burgh.

SteelersMongol
02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
No matter how much V want him, there is just no room 4 him on our yard. & I just don't C him coming back 2 us. But the Lions, wow how stupid is their FO? Their team sucks, & they still don't want him 4 another few years 2 mentor the kids?

Chidi29
02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Why would he want to come back? The reason why he wanted out is because he knew that Timmons was close to taking his job.

Psyychoward86
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
he's too good for us to nab him among other teams that will want him. In the 3-4, it's hard to have too many linebackers, and bringing him back would actually kind of make sense, but i think Keyaron Fox is enough. If one of our guys in the middle get hurt, Fox will fill up the spot pretty well. If someone on the outside cant play, Timmons can shift there (originally he was supposed to be an OLB for us anyways) and Fox would move into his ILB spot.

You're still a cool cat Foote. He's still one of the best mack linebackers in the league. I miss the Foote Stomp :chuckle:

Steeldude
02-05-2010, 01:12 AM
no need for the 2009's most burned NFL LB

Galax Steeler
02-05-2010, 04:58 AM
He will not be back in Pittsburgh he will find his paydirt somewhere else.

KeiselPower99
02-06-2010, 01:12 AM
And he will be in the UFL come September.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2010, 01:34 AM
foote is sooo good the lions don't even want him.

solardave
02-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Why would he want to come back? The reason why he wanted out is because he knew that Timmons was close to taking his job.

We have other priorities.Inside LB is not one of them.

AllD
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Maybe the Dolphins will take him when Porter leaves.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Maybe the Dolphins will take him when Porter leaves.

Why would they? Foote is an ILB, Porter an OLB. Two different positions with totally different responsibilities.

I could see him going to Washington or Buffalo. Both are transitioning to the 3-4 defense and could use his knowledge and talent.

The Duke
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
to be fair, DeAndre Levy is a beast

moc7341
02-08-2010, 09:53 AM
foote is sooo good the lions don't even want him.

Really, coming from a pittsburgh native who has spent most of his life watching the poor souls of Detroit endure the bumbling lions. i couldgive you a list of 100 great players the lions didnt want anymore or didnt draft in the first place.

steelerdude15
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
He won't be back, no way. Where would he play? With Timmons starting to come around and with Farrior, he just doesn't fit with us anymore.

Steely McSmash
02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
He'll find a better check somewhere else. I'd take him but he'd be the #3 or 4 guy at ILB.

markymarc
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
He can't be that good if the Detroit Lions don't even want him back. And there is no way Foote will be back in Pittsburgh. Lawrence Timmons is the starter now and we have Keyaron Fox as the backup.