PDA

View Full Version : Israel Wins Againt United States In Virtual War... Millenium Challege

SteelerEmpire
02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Article: (a few years old, but interesting none the least)

The "Millenium Challenge "

Millennium Challenge was the biggest war game of all time. It had been planned for two years and involved integrated operations by the army, navy, air force and marines. The exercises were part real, with 13,000 troops spread across the United States, supported by actual planes and warships; and part virtual, generated by sophisticated computer models. It was the same technique used in Hollywood blockbusters such as Gladiator. The soldiers in the foreground were real, the legions behind entirely digital.

The game was theoretically set in 2007 and pitted Blue forces (the US) against a country called Red. Red was a militarily powerful Middle Eastern nation on the Persian Gulf that was home to a crazed but cunning megalomaniac. Arguably, when the exercises were first planned back in 2000, Red could have been Iran. But by July this year, when the game kicked off, it is unlikely that anyone involved had any doubts as to which country beginning with "I" (Israel) Blue was up against.

Red used old methods to evade Blue's sophisticated electronic surveillance network. Red used motorcycle messengers to transmit orders to front-line troops and World War II lighting signals to get airplanes off the runways without using radio communication.

On the second day of the exercise Red used a fleet of small boats to determine the position of Blue's fleet. Without warning, Red launched a massive salvo of cruise missiles, overwhelming the Blue forces' electronic sensors, destroying sixteen warships. This includes one aircraft carrier, ten cruisers and five out of the six amphibious ships. The equivalent of this success in a real conflict would have resulted in the death of over 20,000 service personnel. Soon after the cruise missile offensive, another significant portion of Blue's navy was "sunk" by an armada of small Red boats carrying out both conventional and suicide attacks, able to engage Blue forces due to Blue's inability to detect them as well as expected.

At this point, the exercise was suspended and Blue's ships were "re-floated" and changes were made to the rules of engagement, later this was justified by General Peter Pace as: "You kill me in the first day and I sit there for the next 13 days doing nothing, or you put me back to life and you get 13 more days' worth of experiment out of me. Which is a better way to do it?" In the new restarted exercise the different sides were ordered to follow predetermined plans of action, leading to allegations that the exercise was scripted and "$250 million was wasted".
-----------------------------

All of our high tech. equipment... full of holes... :doh:

stlrtruck
02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Just goes to prove with all the modern technology, what you really need to win is the man power and the willingness to be ruthless!