PDA

View Full Version : Moderating of rep comments

Shea
02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Sorry, not trying to stir the pot and noticed that a thread has been locked already on this subject, but I'm confused and the question never seemed to be answered in that thread. I feel we should be able to discuss the matter.

Are our rep pages read by others and can be moderated? I've always felt that and our PMs were are own little private areas of the board. I don't know if I want to be a part of a forum if either areas are being viewed and moderated.

I'd like to know as well what's going on. Thanks.

MACH1
02-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Sorry, not trying to stir the pot and noticed that a thread has been locked already on this subject, but I'm confused and the question never seemed to be answered in that thread. I feel we should be able to discuss the matter.

Are our rep pages read by others and can be moderated? I've always felt that and our PMs were are own little private areas of the board. I don't know if I want to be a part of a forum if either areas are being viewed and moderated.

I'd like to know as well what's going on. Thanks.

In short, the answer is yes. The reps are moderated, and no I can't see your reps unless you leave one for me. On the subject of pm's I have an idea they're not so private.

Shea
02-06-2010, 01:49 AM
In short, the answer is yes. The reps are moderated, and no I can't see your reps unless you leave one for me. On the subject of pm's I have an idea they're not so private.

If that's the case, and someone was infracted for a rep comment, when that should be private communication, that's one-sided due to who you sent the rep comment to, and unaccessable to anyone else - then why is this going on??

Again, I'm not trying to cause problems, honest to God I'm not, but this disturbs me.

Another again here - and I'm not calling you out, but I'd like an answer from FS76 on this whole matter since he locked the previous thread.

MACH1
02-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Not sure about infractions, at least I haven't received one yet. But a couple of reps that people have left me have been deleted(altered). And the rep that was left wasn't anything bad.

tony hipchest
02-06-2010, 02:11 AM

I'd like to know as well what's going on. Thanks.despite what whas said in the other thread that was quickly locked, i think this pretty much sums it up-
There's simply not much on Internet message boards that are private.

Shea
02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
i think that is about as much of 'full disclosure" of what is really going on that we are going to get.

Well if that's the case, then I'm really disappointed and probably done with this forum.

Of course anything that we post on the open board can't be deemed private, and understandably so, but what we choose to talk about among each other through PM and the reps feature doesn't fit that criteria and shouldn't be categorized as "all" being accessable to anyone on the internet, because it simply is not true.

I understand emotions evolve and fester between members on the forum, especially those that are negative, but if delving into these areas that should be off-limits to punish those members is going way overboard in my book to say the least.

I'll stop here in responding to this thread though to give time for the staff here to respond back and offer up their side of the story. Maybe I'm missing something that they can offer up to explain this situation, and hopefully this won't be another locked thread, because the conversation - whether a person likes it or not - needs to be discussed and resolved.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Well if that's the case, then I'm really disappointed and probably done with this forum.

Of course anything that we post on the open board can't be deemed private, and understandably so, but what we choose to talk about among each other through PM and the reps feature doesn't fit that criteria and shouldn't be categorized as "all" being accessable to anyone on the internet, because it simply is not true.

I understand emotions evolve and fester between members on the forum, especially those that are negative, but if delving into these areas that should be off-limits to punish those members is going way overboard in my book to say the least.

I'll stop here in responding to this thread though to give time for the staff here to respond back and offer up their side of the story. Maybe I'm missing something that they can offer up to explain this situation, and hopefully this won't be another locked thread, because the conversation - whether a person likes it or not - needs to be discussed and resolved.

Hey Shea

First of all...I would hate to lose you as a poster.:drink:

Just my two cents on this matter.

I understand your feelings on pm's and I understand your point of view in regards to pm's being a "private" area. That being said, it has been my experience on this board that the Mods need the ability to view pm's under certain conditions.

I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods, understanding that they can not just take my word for it and would have to access those pm's in question. This is a necessary tool for all forums to prevent bullying, harrassment, and potential liability on the part of the board.

That being said...I dont believe for a second that our Mods are habitually trolling the pm's. 1) it would be a logistical nightmare due to the membership count. 2) Who cares what two people are saying to each other in a pm...as long as its civil. 3) I have enough faith in the integrity of our Mods to believe that they would have an ethical problem with just reading "other peoples mail".

In short....Yes, I believe they have the ability & believe it is a needed tool...No, I do not believe any of us have anything to worry about in regards to our privacy.

If you do have any worries...the simple solution is to delete your pm's (both recieved and sent) after they are read.

Again....I hope the board can get back to discussion and fellowship....and away from bickering.

You all have been good friends to me when I have lost a loved one...celebrated victories...and talked football smack. Its still just a board...and I hope that we can get back to what we all love about this forum.

:wave:

MACH1
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods

In that case you asked for them to be viewed.

It's whole different story when your on the 'shit list' and they're being viewed without your permission.

GBMelBlount
02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods, understanding that they can not just take my word for it and would have to access those pm's in question. This is a necessary tool for all forums to prevent bullying, harrassment, and potential liability on the part of the board.

Needless to say I've gotten a few nasty PM's & Reps but I've never said anything because I really don't take it that seriously....plus I usually deserve it. :chuckle:

There is honestly not a single person on this board that I don't like.

Anyway Shea, I'd hate to see you go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-06-2010, 11:38 AM
In that case you asked for them to be viewed.

It's whole different story when your on the 'shit list' and they're being viewed without your permission.

Do you know this is happening? Or is this an assumption?

HometownGal
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry I'm so late in getting here to respond to the questions posed, but I've spent the morning shoveling and blowing my way out of 2 feet of snow. I hope everyone who has had to deal with this enormous storm is safe, taking breaks and drinking lots of hot coffee!

First - we CANNOT read any PM's unless they are forwarded to us by members. If we could, I can assure you that Mike, Gary and I would never do that.

Second - we CAN and DO read rep comments ONLY IF there is a history of trouble on the board between members, as has been the case as of late unfortunately. We do not single anyone out - they pretty much single themselves out by not following the very simple rules set by this board. The reason why we do this is because there have been occasions where members have actually physically threatened other members via rep comments and that is NOT what the rep system is for. The rep system is a privilege - not a right and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be opposed to Mike getting rid of the system altogether because it has been so badly abused. It was implemented so that members could show appreciation for other's thoughts and opinions, and was not to be used to flame, malign and take shots at other members, nor was it put in place as a means to, pardon the term, "suck up" to other members, which has also been the case as of late. This is the internet - there really is no need for adults to feel they have to "suck up" to other members in order to gain respect. Respect isn't handed out - it is earned.

Third - if people choose to leave because our overall purpose as Mods/Admin is to insure the pleasant experience and family friendly atmosphere we try to incorporate here at SF, along with protecting our members from being hassled, threatened and demeaned - then so be it.

I hope this answers the questions that have been asked.

Back to the Antarctic!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-06-2010, 02:07 PM
:chuckle:
First - we CANNOT read any PM's unless they are forwarded to us by members. If we could, I can assure you that Mike, Gary and I would never do that.

I stand corrected, I would have thought the Mods would have that capability. Gotta say, I hope that makes everyone feel safer in regards to privacy.

This is the internet - there really is no need for adults to feel they have to "suck up" to other members in order to gain respect. Respect isn't handed out - it is earned.

Thats why your the bestest MOD...EVER!!!!!! (hehehehe)

smokin3000gt
02-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I just want to say that everyone here is the bestest!

HometownGal
02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
:chuckle:

I stand corrected, I would have thought the Mods would have that capability. Gotta say, I hope that makes everyone feel safer in regards to privacy.

Nope - we don't. And I strongly resent the implication that we would do something like that. :mad: (Not referring to you, LLT).

Thats why your the bestest MOD...EVER!!!!!! (hehehehe)

There are a few people around here who would strongly disagree with that. :chuckle: Not that I really care, as those who don't appreciate the hours, hard work and patience we put into this board, without compensation I might add, are usually those who stir up the most trouble. What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!! :mad: :mad:

At any rate, I am thawing out some crow burgers for a few of you and will be firing up the grill in my garage later on. :chuckle: :wink:

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Does this mean Shea will have to stop using the rec feature like phone sex?

What will we talk about now?

Texasteel
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I for one think the mods have been and are now doing a fantastic job. I have seen them demean and not so sly underhanded comments directed at them particularly this year. The mods have to be able to moderate the reps as well as the board as they could be used to flame, and badmouth other members. There seems to be a lot of bad blood going around this board, something I am not use to. To just let this ferment in the rep system would be an extremely bad Idea. If that is what it is being used for I for one would just as soon see them go.

Thank you Mike, Gary, and Marianne for trying to keep this board a place that I enjoy going to every day, but I'm afraid that this is something that is on the decrease. I hope and pray that we can get back to friendly, sensible exchanges rather that the constant backhanded jabs that I have been seeing.

smokin3000gt
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
You can't take the rep system away! Not after I've become 'a splendid one to behold'!

X-Terminator
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Nope - we don't. And I strongly resent the implication that we would do something like that. :mad: (Not referring to you, LLT).

There are a few people around here who would strongly disagree with that. :chuckle: Not that I really care, as those who don't appreciate the hours, hard work and patience we put into this board, without compensation I might add, are usually those who stir up the most trouble. What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!! :mad: :mad:

At any rate, I am thawing out some crow burgers for a few of you and will be firing up the grill in my garage later on. :chuckle: :wink:

And just to clear another thing up, because I'm sure it will be mentioned - only mods and admins can read rep comments. No other member is able to read another member's rep. Personally, I'm with you - I think the whole system should be scrapped. There are many others who were around the last time we had a major problem with members abusing the rep system, to the point where it was eventually scrapped, then brought back in limited form...which, as you've mentioned, is the reason why it is monitored. Maybe it should have been left on the cutting room floor back then.

I don't think people really understand how difficult this job is, and how much work goes into it. Having been both an admin and a mod, I know full well what goes into running a message board, especially one as large as this one. Some here have said so, but I really don't think you get enough credit or appreciation for the job that you do.

Besides, the ones who complain the loudest are also the ones who have the most to hide.

Shea
02-06-2010, 10:17 PM

What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!! :mad: :mad:

If I'm one of the people you are referring to here, then I apologize.

My questions weren't meant to offend you, or anyone.

Believe me, I'm not looking to offend anyone on the board - ever, but it looks as though I've been stepping my foot in "it" recently and doing just that.

I'm just going to refrain from posting in threads like these and others in the feature, since it seems that I've been causing too many problems on here lately.

Does this mean Shea will have to stop using the rec feature like phone sex?

What will we talk about now?

:huh:

Killer, I don't think I'm ever going to figure you out .........

GBMelBlount
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
:huh:

Killer, I don't think I'm ever going to figure you out .........

:toofunny:

That is your first mistake Shea.

As I figured out early on, if you take more than 10% of what Killer says, seriously, you're in big trouble. :chuckle:

Shea
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm starting to get that, GB.

Damn if he isn't a perpetual horny little bugger though. That he's being serious about.

Men. :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Preacher
02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Shea,

I haven't posted on here in dang near a month, because I needed a break from this place. I was sick of how people were dealing with each other, and sickened by the fact that I was responding in the same way.

I say that as a precursor to answering what I perceive as the questions behind your questions.

1. The mods here are in a horrible spot. If they let too much go, then they are seen as weak and passive. When they do step up, they then are seen as playing favorites. If they don't let much go, then they are seen as overbearing. In the few years I came in just as it was being clamped down, watched it get passive, then clamped down again, then move to VERY passive over the last year and a half, and now, being clamped down again. Finding that balance is very difficult to do, and is always hated by the half that wants it the other way.

2. about the threads being stopped and reps being monitored (I am not, nor have been a mod--and want to be very careful not to speak for them or put words in their mouths), it is a needed element to break the direction of the board and bring it back the other way. There have been two other times when this board descended into the darkness... the result of one is another board of which we do not speak, the other can be seen in a search on LITP as a mod. See how bad this board got for a while, long before you were here. The mods we have now, know and see where this board is going, and are acting to put and end to it before it gets there.

3. There have been times when I have wondered about people being banned from the site. I have found that a PM, recognizing that its none of my business, but that I am generally wondering what happened, was met with a gracious PM back. Trust me, there are plenty of things that you may not see. If something was deleted from your REP, there is a good chance it was part of a larger pattern the mods saw, and are trying to put a stop to, for the sake of the general board and everyone who posts here.

I have enjoyed posting with you. Hope you take my post in the way intended, and not as a jab at you.

Shea
02-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Nope, not taking that as a jab at all Preacher.

And I read this forum for a couple of years before I started to post, so I do know about LITP and the other situation.

And I want to reiterate that the moderating here is the best I've ever come across.

Trust me, I've been a part of some horrible forums, due to the mods, and that isn't the case here.

Heck, just the fact that what happens here is open for questioning and discussion without instantly leading to a ban speaks to how good the moderating is. I've personally experienced instant bans by me and others for just subtely expressing questions and thoughts towards the running of a board. That doesn't happen here, which is a good thing and something I admire.

Although, I perhaps need to express myself in these situations better as to not offend the mods. :doh:

That's on me though.

Preacher - I don't personally know you, and don't always agree with you, but have always respected you. Please don't continue to take a step back from the forum.

If you can't accept what's happening now then I don't know how the hell you survived LITP. :wink02:

Everything is going to be alright around here. And maybe having a man of the cloth around will be needed to get us there sooner rather than later.

Get what I'm saying here? :drink: (yes, I've learned - you're part of that cup is Pepsi :chuckle:)