PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers 2010 NFL Draft: Comparing the Prospects

mesaSteeler
02-06-2010, 12:06 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340122-2010-nfl-draft-comparing-the-prospects-and-who-the-steelers-select

Pittsburgh Steelers 2010 NFL Draft: Comparing the Prospects
Nick Signorelli
Senior Writer

Senior Writer Written on February 05, 2010

With the 18th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

That is the question. Whose name will the Steelers have on the card when it comes time to make their selection?

The following is a list of players that other members of the Steelers community have suggested the Steelers take, and why the Steelers will or won't take them.

Defensive Back

With the Steelers' secondary dropping from the best unit in the league in 2008 to the bottom half in 2009, the Steelers seem to be needing an upgrade in their secondary.

The issue people are not looking at is that Troy Polamalu will be returning, and that in itself makes for an amazing upgrade. There is still the question of depth, and what will happen with Ryan Clark?

If Clark is not re-signed, then this becomes the most immediate need for the Steelers.

Taylor Mays (USC) vs. Earl Thomas (Texas)

Those of you that believe the Steelers need to go after a starting corner, forget it. It is not going to happen. The Steelers drafted two of them last year, and they are both expected to step up this year.

Mays is a big, strong, and fast safety. He had a down year in 2009 from his previous season at USC, but as pointed out by Spencer Tucksen, he lost three LB's in the first 35 picks of the 2009 draft, so he did not have the support in front of him that he had previously.

The biggest knock on Mays is that if the Steelers really want him, they will probably have to trade up to get him.

Earl Thomas is a different story. He is projected to be available when the Steelers pick. Thomas does not have the size of Mays, but he is more of a ball hawk, ala Ed Reed.

To have someone even close to the stature of Reed playing next to Polamalu would make the Steelers' secondary one of the most formidable in the NFL.

As Tim Kessler says in a comment,

"He is versatile enough to play safety while capable of being the shutdown corner that we need so desperately as well. Perfect choice for our #1 pick IMHO.

If he is still on the board that is who I predict we will take. Mark my words, i said it first lol."

If the Steelers take Thomas, Tim gets credit for saying it first.

Offensive Line

For the second straight year, people are calling for the Steelers to take an offensive lineman in the first round. For the second year in a row, I will say, it is not going to happen.

The Steelers have the left side of the line already set, with Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu both signing contracts last offseason to keep them with the Steelers for at least another three years.

Mike Iaputi (Idaho) vs Bryan Bulaga (Iowa)

Bulaga is a Guard that many believe could anchor the Steelers' interior line for years, such as Alan Faneca did. Bulaga is supposedly the best available guard.

Iaputi is another one many believe would be an immediate upgrade.

The Steelers drafted Kraig Urbik in the third round last year, and picked up Ramon Foster as a free agent, who actually started six games last year. Darnell Stapleton will be back from injury, so the offensive line is not an area of need the Steelers, unless a blue chip Tackle falls to 18.

Defensive Tackle

With Casey Hampton set to become a free agent, and with an aging defensive line, many believe the Steelers will draft Hamptons replacement this year.

Terrance "Mount" Cody is the only name people believe will be available, and worthy, at the position when the Steelers make their selection.

As Robert Henderson pointed out, the Steelers won't be drafting Cody. He says in a comment,

"Tomlin will never draft Cody, He already has an issue with Hamptons weight and he's a Pro Bowler."

Hard to argue that fact, but my reasons for thinking are different. I believe that the Steelers will be switching to the 4-3 alignment when Dick LeBeau retires, and that would make Cody out of place. He is a 3-4 NT, not a 4-3 DT.

Running Back

CJ Spillar.

Stop it. Right now! The Steelers are not going to spend another first-round pick on a running back when there is so much quality at the position to be had later in the draft.

So, who am I predicting the Steelers will take?

Earl Thomas, S, Texas.

Clark will probably not be back, and even if he is, his age is starting to hurt him. He is a torpedo, and it is only a matter of time before he misses time due to injury.

Thomas will be a perfect fit to play along side of Polamalu. He will be able to step in, in certain situations, and develop into an amazing player.

The Steelers have to address the position with a playmaker. Yes, this is a very deep draft, and they will not want to give up picks to trade up for Mays.

You heard it hear second. Mark my words as well. Thanks, Tim!

Aussie_steeler
02-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Hello Nick SIgnorelli ( senior writer for the illustrious bleacher report)

I take issue with some of the items that you have presented in your report for your illustrious and high creditable website - bleacher report

1. Mays is a big, strong, and fast safety. He had a down year in 2009 from his previous season at USC, but as pointed out by Spencer Tucksen, he lost three LB's in the first 35 picks of the 2009 draft, so he did not have the support in front of him that he had previously.

The biggest knock on Mays is that if the Steelers really want him, they will probably have to trade up to get him.

If you believe Taylor Mays is a higher rated prospect than Earl Thomas at this point in time you are sadly mistaken. Taylor Mays cant cover in the open like an NFL FS is expected.

2. Earl Thomas is a different story. He is projected to be available when the Steelers pick. Thomas does not have the size of Mays, but he is more of a ball hawk, ala Ed Reed.

To have someone even close to the stature of Reed playing next to Polamalu would make the Steelers' secondary one of the most formidable in the NFL.

Earl Thomas is one hell of a free safety but if you are going to compare a FS to Ed Reed in this draft I think you should be comparing Eric Berry to Ed Reed.

3. Bulaga is a Guard that many believe could anchor the Steelers' interior line for years, such as Alan Faneca did. Bulaga is supposedly the best available guard.

This is where you begin to show complete ignorance. Bulaga is an OT and will be drafted as an OT. Mike Iupati is the guy who is being compared to Alan Faneca.

4. The Steelers have to address the position with a playmaker. Yes, this is a very deep draft, and they will not want to give up picks to trade up for Mays.

They will not trade up for a FS that projects to be a SS.

If you can be a senior writer of an NFL column then I believe Slim Cucumber has a realistic chance of being a legitimate writer. Hell even I could have my own NFL column if this is the standard.

Maybe i could write for the bleacher report? if so maybe I could be your junior writer and go by the psuedonym Wayne Carr.

Sorry guys. I am bored and just felt like playing. I am getting tired of the rubbish that appears on bleacher report. It is not even close to being slightly realistic.

Texasteel
02-06-2010, 04:04 AM
I hope May go's before Thomas. That would bring him one step closer to us.

You may be bored Aussie, but that was a very good rebuttal to a bad article.

Steely McSmash
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I think this can stand to be rebutted quite a bit.

...The issue people are not looking at is that Troy Polamalu will be returning, and that in itself makes for an amazing upgrade. There is still the question of depth, and what will happen with Ryan Clark?

What becomes clear at the beginning here is that he's writing a niche article (team specific) for an audience that must know less than him. How could you watch last season and not know Troy wasn't there...

Those of you that believe the Steelers need to go after a starting corner, forget it. It is not going to happen. The Steelers drafted two of them last year, and they are both expected to step up this year.

Now I can empathize with his wish to be decisive but how the $%^& does he think he knows this? A third rounder who'd never gameday active and a Nickel back are going to step up ?? I think a 3rd rounder is like a 30% chance of starting eventually just from stats. What % of those guys who don't earn a hat on gameday oif their rookie year will start?? Not trying to run K. Lewis down but him "stepping up" is not a done deal.

Mays is a big, strong, and fast safety. He had a down year in 2009 from his previous season at USC, but as pointed out by Spencer Tucksen, ?Spencer who? he lost three LB's in the first 35 picks of the 2009 draft, so he did not have the support in front of him that he had previously.

And this clearly made him a poor tackler and bad in coverage....

As Tim Kessler ?Tim Who? says in a comment,

"He is versatile enough to play safety while capable of being the shutdown corner that we need so desperately as well. Perfect choice for our #1 pick IMHO.

If he is still on the board that is who I predict we will take. Mark my words, i said it first lol."

If the Steelers take Thomas, Tim gets credit for saying it first.

So you say we don't need a shutdown corner.... but we should pick Thomas on the advice of apparent guru Tim Kessler who says that he's a good safety because he's a good corner who CAN play safety?

...... For the second year in a row, I will say, it is not going to happen.

The Steelers have the left side of the line already set, with Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu both signing contracts last offseason to keep them with the Steelers for at least another three years........The Steelers drafted Kraig Urbik in the third round last year, and picked up Ramon Foster as a free agent, who actually started six games last year. Darnell Stapleton will be back from injury, so the offensive line is not an area of need the Steelers, unless a blue chip Tackle falls to 18.

So as long as we have somebody who played we don't need to upgrade?? Maybe he should evaluate the play of the line to make this judgement?? Another case of a draftee who's gameday inactive the whole season being claimed as depth. Urbik is a giant question mark until training camp.

....As Robert Henderson pointed out, the Steelers won't be drafting Cody. He says in a comment,

"Tomlin will never draft Cody, He already has an issue with Hamptons weight and he's a Pro Bowler."

Hard to argue that fact, but my reasons for thinking are different. I believe that the Steelers will be switching to the 4-3 alignment when Dick LeBeau retires, and that would make Cody out of place. He is a 3-4 NT, not a 4-3 DT.

So who is this Henderson? Tomlin's key advisor or some other decisive guesser?

And I'm sure that the team is planning the 2010 draft based on scheme speculation for 2011 and beyond.

jollyrob68
02-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I think this can stand to be rebutted quite a bit.

What becomes clear at the beginning here is that he's writing a niche article (team specific) for an audience that must know less than him. How could you watch last season and not know Troy wasn't there...

Now I can empathize with his wish to be decisive but how the $%^& does he think he knows this? A third rounder who'd never gameday active and a Nickel back are going to step up ?? I think a 3rd rounder is like a 30% chance of starting eventually just from stats. What % of those guys who don't earn a hat on gameday oif their rookie year will start?? Not trying to run K. Lewis down but him "stepping up" is not a done deal.

?Spencer who?

And this clearly made him a poor tackler and bad in coverage....

?Tim Who? So you say we don't need a shutdown corner.... but we should pick Thomas on the advice of apparent guru Tim Kessler who says that he's a good safety because he's a good corner who CAN play safety?

So as long as we have somebody who played we don't need to upgrade?? Maybe he should evaluate the play of the line to make this judgement?? Another case of a draftee who's gameday inactive the whole season being claimed as depth. Urbik is a giant question mark until training camp.

And I'm sure that the team is planning the 2010 draft based on scheme speculation for 2011 and beyond.

I'm Henderson and No I'm not a Tomlin advisor but As a Steeler fan who watched Coach Tomlin put Casey Hampton on the PUP list (physically unable to preform list) because he showed up at 370lbs. Common sense would tell any steeler fan that Cody is not the type of player Tomlin would want. If you want to know what type of player Tomlin wants just look at his draft pick Ziggy Hood. Athletic DT with a high motor. Based on that description it tells you he would like Dan Williams over Terrance Cody. Its not rocket science.
Steely Mc Smash I have a question for you. Even though you nor I work for The PATS we could both tell what Bill B wants out of the draft? We being from New England know Bill B love 2nd round picks and getting VALUE! Thats the biggest complaint up in this area and everyone knows it. So if I suggested that Bill B might trade wilfork to KC it would be a possibility. WHy? Because Bill B would want their 2 second round picks(not their 1st) giving him a total of 5 for the draft. That doesnt make me an advisor it makes me a fan who's following the teams history,Listening to the local stations that talk about the team and has Bill B on every week. Yes, its a guess but it's an educated guess. Thanks PS What you wrote was good and funny. Go STEELERS

Nick Signorelli
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
WOW, Mc Smash. I think it is funny that you would read some of the "TRASH" that I write, and instead of calling me out in the comments, you run back to this site, where I guess you think it wont be seen.
People all the time disagree with me, and I have no problem with it.
But when they are gutless, and don't have the courage to say it to my face, that is when I have the problem.

You want to take issue with me. Lets break down our differences.

If you believe Taylor Mays is a higher rated prospect than Earl Thomas at this point in time you are sadly mistaken. Taylor Mays cant cover in the open like an NFL FS is expected.

Al Davis of the Raiders looks at nothing but speed and size. I will be shocked if Mayes makes it past the Raiders. Not only that, former coach Pete Carol has two picks before the Steelers, and there is a good chance one of those three picks will have Mays name on it. THAT MEANS, that if the Steelers want him they will PROBABLY have to trade up to get him.

Earl Thomas is one hell of a free safety but if you are going to compare a FS to Ed Reed in this draft I think you should be comparing Eric Berry to Ed Reed.

Honestly, if you know anything about football you know that there is NO CHANCE that Berry is going to be there when we draft. Why waste time talking about someone that there is no chance Pittsburgh will get. Want me to talk about the Steelers drafting Sua as well?

This is where you begin to show complete ignorance. Bulaga is an OT and will be drafted as an OT. Mike Iupati is the guy who is being compared to Alan Faneca.

I got the names mixed up. I guess I should never write again, huh?

They will not trade up for a FS that projects to be a SS.

As I said, and you even quoted, THEY WILL NOT TRADE UP TO DRAFT HIM!!!!!

I know this because I have been a Steelers fan my entire life, and understand how they operate. When they draft someone, they do not expect them to play their rookie season, but they do expect them to play in year two.
Timmons, Holmes, Polamalu, and with the exception of Big Ben, they sit people their rookie season, so they can learn the game.
Last year they drafted Lewis and Burnett, TWO CORNERS, that will be expected to step up this year. Why would they draft someone in a position that is no where near the need as other positions?
IF Berry falls, that is one thing, but don't bet on it.

Spencer who?

One of the writers on the site, that made the suggestion.

So you say we don't need a shutdown corner.... but we should pick Thomas on the advice of apparent guru Tim Kessler who says that he's a good safety because he's a good corner who CAN play safety?

When someone is a good corner in college, does not mean they are going to be good at it in the NFL. An average corner can move to safety, and when they have to step up and cover, it is usually the third or fourth receiver, which he would be capable of doing. He is good at tackeling, and that is pretty much what is required out of the safetys. Help on double teams, cover slot or 4th receiver and help in run support.

To question this statement, once again proves you really don't know what you are talking about. Once again, if it is a blue chip prospect that is one thing, but if it is not, the Steelers are not going to draft someone where there are already three people on the roster capable of playing the position.
As for me evaluating the line, I have many times. You hear what some people say and think it is gold. Reality is, Ben holds the ball longer than any QB in the game, and behind the Colts line, Ben would take 40 sacks per year.

Once again, another writer. It almost seems you are more bitter about me commenting about other writers that what I am saying.
If the Steelers switch to the 4-3, which is a distinct possibility when LeBeau retires, then Cody would not be able to do the work of the 4-3 DT. Cody is a big body that is better suited for the 3-4.

This pretty much ends our conversation, unless you want to comment over on Bleacher. This site is a joke, and only posts things from other sites. I used to write for this site, and quit because it just was not good enough. Don't believe me? Check the archives.
Yes, you too could write on Bleacher. You would get help from editors and other memebers of the site to help you become a better writer.
The only difference is, you can not run and hide some where and talk behind peoples backs. If you have a problem with what I am saying, say it where I may actually get to read it.

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 02:01 PM
a definition of a senior writer from bleacher report n.

someone who has been cooking up the finest grass since its exsistence

but yea WE REALLY NEED EARL THOMAS!

please make it happen front office.

What Aussie is saing Earl Thomas is nowhere near what Ed Reed is like baiting payton Manning into picks and if there was the next ed reed berry should be labelled it.

This site is a joke, and only posts things from other sites. I used to write for this site, and quit because it just was not good enough.

Hey hey hey shut up, maybe you were not good enough, i also like the stuff spencer tuscken writes like he says how bad william gay was but says ike played better but had far worse stats.

now now go write for some junior nfl site that you can bait readers around 7 years to believe you.

If you think this site is a joke, why-

1.register AGAIN
2.comment and write about a 5 pargraph comment full of garbage.
3.try take shots at steeley mcbeam when he is rightfully right (see below)
3b.he is entitled to his opinion, he can comment on anything you publicly made
3c.maybe he doesnt want to register up at that jokeful site that needs to close
3d.i'd like to see your comments on your real bad articles, to be a good writer you must know u must overcome the haters like lil wayne did with his rock album and do his own thing and do what he believes in. But trust when i say this, you need to put the pen down and go for a long walk somewhere ;)

much regards to your articles

supa fly steeler

HometownGal
02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
This site is a joke, and only posts things from other sites.

Oh really? Sad part is - I enjoyed your writing, but since we're such a joke - don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you. :wave:

supa_fly_steeler
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Lol the bleacher report guys are clever :banging::banging::banging::banging:

Why the Steelers Should Draft Taylor Mays (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/339776-why-the-steelers-should-draft-taylor-mays)

Taylor Flippin' Mays—People have been saying his stock has been falling, and I say to that....all the better.

Yes all the better we can be one of the teams that pass him up

Joe Burnett—Don't even talk to me about drafting a corner back...ever...ever again (this season). We drafted two of them last year, and I have supreme confidence in the Steelers choices when it comes to defense.

Last time i checked Mike Tomlin does the draft, what if he drafts a corner and develops him into a safety, that could happen this draft and might happen with Keenan Lewis.

Supreme Conifdence, as if you are the Draft Logical mastermind and know who we will draft, enlighten me who will be the last pick of the draft? I have supreme confidence that you know that pick.

Jason Pierre-Paul—It's been a big couple of years for people in the NFL who have French style names (see: Pierre Garcon). I understand that they are Haitian (donate $10 to helping out their crisis) but I think that means they are going be awesome in the NFL! Garcon did great last season.

This is how idiots are made see Al Davis. (Nothing against Hiatians or French) Just because they have french blood in them there going to be elite? Whow we should import half of the france into Pittsburgh for training sessions and offer them contracts, this statement is just similar to Al Davis and his lust for speed guys, wasting picks on Darrius Hey-Ward Bey, Mike Mitchell ect.

Inside Linebacker

Not Rolando McClain—I was talking to a guy about this, and he was saying that if possible we should get Rolando McClain. I had never heard of him since I don't really follow college football too deeply. As it turns out, he is the highest ranked linebacker in several mock drafts. That said, I highly doubt he will be available to us at the No. 18 pick. Most likely the Giants will take him.

OMG if you know nothing about College football why are you saying you have supreme confidence in the draft and that the steelers should draft a safety that you dont really watch.

That my friend is the most retarded thing i have heard in quite a while. By retard i mean stupid, is that the pinnecal of your articles?

Id rather read up articles by aussiesteeler,texassteel and llt's wisdom and sidelinescouting and others than read up this garbage.

good bye thanks for reading my illustrious article

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
This was comical.

- Brian Bulaga a guard??
-Taylor Mays stock rising??
- C.J. Spillar (might want to spell check the prospects name) I believe its Spiller. But, I do agree with Nic Seniorelli, that we already have Mendenhaul, so will not draft another back.

:rofl:

Steely McSmash
02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm Henderson and No I'm not a Tomlin advisor but As a Steeler fan who watched Coach Tomlin put Casey Hampton on the PUP list (physically unable to preform list) because he showed up at 370lbs. Common sense would tell any steeler fan that Cody is not the type of player Tomlin would want. If you want to know what type of player Tomlin wants just look at his draft pick Ziggy Hood. Athletic DT with a high motor. Based on that description it tells you he would like Dan Williams over Terrance Cody. Its not rocket science.
Steely Mc Smash I have a question for you. Even though you nor I work for The PATS we could both tell what Bill B wants out of the draft? We being from New England know Bill B love 2nd round picks and getting VALUE! Thats the biggest complaint up in this area and everyone knows it. So if I suggested that Bill B might trade wilfork to KC it would be a possibility. WHy? Because Bill B would want their 2 second round picks(not their 1st) giving him a total of 5 for the draft. That doesnt make me an advisor it makes me a fan who's following the teams history,Listening to the local stations that talk about the team and has Bill B on every week. Yes, its a guess but it's an educated guess. Thanks PS What you wrote was good and funny. Go STEELERS

Nice to meet you Henderson, glad you enjoyed my comments.

I don't mean any disrespect to your anonymity. Just strikes me as funny that he's quoting bleacher report posters in the type of context one would use for expert opinion, but he really just means that you said something well and he agrees with you.

I'm well aware of the big snack's time running laps on the lower field at St. Vincent. That being said I wouldn't purport to KNOW that Tomlin will never take a guy who ever had a conditioning problem. There's a lot of time between now and draft day. It will be interesting to see in what shape Cody shows up to the combine and his Pro day.

Also the team will have first hand information on the guy to assess whether his head is screwed on straight and he can discipline himself. He apparently dropped 60 pounds during his College career so I would assess his weight as more of a risk and not neccesarily a deal breaker. As a second round pick, he might be a compelling value provided the team is happy with their first hand info.

Regarding New England, I am most emphatically from Pittsburgh. I have lived here for 8 years or so.

I don't honestly know that I've ever heard anyone analyze the pats draft policy in any detail. What I will say is that I think they've done a good job of banking draft value by trading for picks in subsequent drafts. They opperate in bold strokes personnel-wise which is a boom or bust method as I see the results. They really aren't built by the draft as much as folks would have you believe. They had a good run there and some players took a FA discount to take a shot at getting a ring.

Isn't Wilfork a FA? If so there's nothing to trade there so that's not a possibility.

Steely McSmash
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Note that the guy who wrote the first one is a "senior writer" over there.

wouldn't it be great if we could get Ed Bouchette to come over here and bitch us out? I'd consider subscibing to insider if he committed to one flaming rant a month.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Isn't Wilfork a FA? If so there's nothing to trade there so that's not a possibility.

:rofl:

Isnt it great that bloggers get all high and mighty over themselves when they really dont know what is going on?? I wonder if he knows that the Patriots drafted NT Nyron Pryor from Kentucky last year and he will probably be the replacement??

"Better to be thought of as an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

supa_fly_steeler
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
heres another illustrious article from bleacher report on why we should spend our money on top free agents like daunta robinson, reggie bush and gostkowski

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340718-who-the-steelers-should-sign-in-their-upcoming-offseason?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fbc_comment

taztroy43
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Man what a load of CRAP!!! I just wasted a few minutes of my life on this article... I was about half way when I finally realized that the writer here is INSANE in most of his opinions/arguments!!!!.....seriously keep this garbage on the bleacher report and quit trashing steelersfever w/ you're BS opinions.....Man that whole article was horrible and a waste of my time.....For that reason I'm REPLYING to you(the person responsible for posting this B.S.) and letting you know how I feel about this nonsense....If you were saying this around me I would confront you face to face....but I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.....right????....

supa_fly_steeler
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Man what a load of CRAP.If you were saying this around me I would confront you face to face

Lol epic. Calm down dude it's only a article. It's not like Mike Tomlin actually reads and listens to them. All cools man.