PDA

View Full Version : If Ben retired TODAY? WHO?

BleedBlacknGold0
02-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Say Ben says he's done with football and retires suddenly. IE Ricky Williams.....who would you take at QB?

Here are the rules. You must go with the current NFL Rosters/Free Agency or the upcoming draft.

For example, you cant say... I would trade for Drew Brees, done.

The player must be available or becoming a free agent.

My choice would be to let Batch play for a year and draft a QB of the future. I have always loved Charlie Batch and would love to see him play all year, just to see what he could put together.

Nadroj 20
02-06-2010, 03:51 PM
If this would to happen i would want Dixon to be the QB not batch.

fat4jc
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
If this would happen, I would be devastated and could barely function as a human being.

BUT, if I HAD to make a choice, I'd talk Kurt Warner out of retirement, and sign him. Actually Warner would be a terrible fit in Pittsburgh, he'd get killed. I guess I'd give Dixon a shot.

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
id give michael vick a phone call so i dont have to trade for him in madden anyways and then he can leap into the "dawg" pound every year.

tony hipchest
02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
brett favre

BleedBlacknGold0
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought of Dixon but I'm the kind of guy who thinks... "what if?"

Batch's teams in Detroit were never that great. Id be curious to see what he could do on an elite team.

How about Tim Couch out of retirement? lol.

Psyychoward86
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
After a QB battle for the starting job, i'd end up taking Charlie Batch. Although Dixon looks like he's in position to move up the depth chart, Batch is a more cerebral student of the game, and a veteran QB who knows our system well.

Chad Pennington is a free agent this year, with the rise of henne, he might be a goner, so he would be a possible pickup.

lionslicer
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
You can't really consider big quarterbacks like Brees or Brady, a lot of things would have to happen.
If Ben retired today, I'd say we could develop Dixon, he has potential.
If he turns out bad, Palko could work, he is still technically on the roster when we signed him when Ben and Batch were injured, I really liked him in college. Thats just me, I hate spending so much money on quarterbacks who aren't great, but just good.

WH
02-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Chad Pennington is a free agent this year, with the rise of henne, he might be a goner, so he would be a possible pickup.

So after Chad goes out for the season in week 2 because of his yearly shoulder injury, who is your number 2 QB?

I would take Matt Moore.

Chidi29
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
So after Chad goes out for the season in week 2 because of his yearly shoulder injury, who is your number 2 QB?

I would take Matt Moore.

And you're going to get Moore....how?

steeltheone
02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Billy Volek San Diego

stillers4me
02-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Michael Vick.

JUST KIDDDDDDDDING.

MACH1
02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
http://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/brett-favre-superman.gif

7SteelGal43
02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I hear Kordell Stewart isn't currently on anybodys roster :noidea:

:rofl:

BleedBlacknGold0
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
i like billy volek

rbryan
02-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Lebron James.....he and Ben are gonna switch it up for one year to launch a new Nike campaign.

mulldog24
02-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Byron Leftwich!!! Bring him in for a year and draft Dan Lefevour!!! The competition would be good for Dixon and Lefevour. I think this is very realistic.......should a horrible thing like Ben retiring happen.

JEFF4i
02-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Byron Leftwych but you work in Dixon.

Maybe even after a few games, have Dixon take a start.

WH
02-07-2010, 01:07 AM
And you're going to get Moore....how?

strippers, dozens and dozens of strippers

desertsteel
02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
1. Leftwich
2. J. Claussen
3. C. Pennington

boggedmaffus
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Draft LeFevour, he's awesome. Simples.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Terry Bradshaw

he'd still be better than 70% of the bumbs playing in the NFL right now.

casteeler
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
am i the only one that watched dixon vs balt?

JEFF4i
02-08-2010, 02:24 AM
am i the only one that watched dixon vs balt?

Nope, I want to say Dixon too. Just assuming we didn't see many pregame snaps with him. Still, I'd probably end up with him.

Big Ben isn't just a QB, but a center of our offense. He changes, it changes. Rebuild it, around Dixon.

steelreserve
02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Sign Steve McNair out of retirement. Everyone would be afraid to play us because it would start a zombie holocaust.

JEFF4i
02-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Sign Steve McNair out of retirement. Everyone would be afraid to play us because it would start a zombie holocaust.

Reserve you are incorrigible. It's really a shame what happened to McNair.

Turning it into a positive, I think Dixon could become a great QB with some tailoring and work. Shoot, we might even start getting rushing yards, even if it's just his.

On the other hand, Arians might run out on the field as a 12th man for the opponents to QB spy. Y'know, to be safe.

lionslicer
02-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Reserve you are incorrigible. It's really a shame what happened to McNair.

Turning it into a positive, I think Dixon could become a great QB with some tailoring and work. Shoot, we might even start getting rushing yards, even if it's just his.

On the other hand, Arians might run out on the field as a 12th man for the opponents to QB spy. Y'know, to be safe.

Its a joke, I think he's referencing a Lewis Black joke about electing Ronald Reagan as president because no other country would mess with a country who's crazy enough to elect a dead person president.
Maybe McNair wasn't politically correct to say, he could have said Johnny Unitus...

Rick5895
02-08-2010, 04:11 AM
Interesting discussion for a thread, but trading for a QB would cost too much, same with a F.A. Dixon would be the only answer IMO>

steelerdave1969
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Say Ben says he's done with football and retires suddenly. IE Ricky Williams.....who would you take at QB?

Here are the rules. You must go with the current NFL Rosters/Free Agency or the upcoming draft.

For example, you cant say... I would trade for Drew Brees, done.

The player must be available or becoming a free agent.

My choice would be to let Batch play for a year and draft a QB of the future. I have always loved Charlie Batch and would love to see him play all year, just to see what he could put together.

Has something happened that I dont know about? Has Ben retired already?... then I dont see why we are having this discussion.

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Why would we trade or draft another QB that was the point of getting Dixon. He would be the starter and the only worries for the Steelers would be picking up a back up to him and possible Batch as well.

BleedBlacknGold0
02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Has something happened that I dont know about? Has Ben retired already?... then I dont see why we are having this discussion.

I dunno bro, maybe for FUN? It's the offseason its entertaining to start discussions. Plus you never know, Ben could wreck another motorcycle and end his career.

I bet its safe to say the Steelers have a plan if Ben goes down or leaves, so why can't we?!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I would have Dixon start this season and draft Jimmy Clausen.

I don't think Batch will be a Steeler by the end of training camp. He's gotten hurt the past few seasons. He's old, fragile, and won't do anything behind this offensive line.

Dixon can move around, and you need that ability behind our current offensive line.

I like Dixon, but I don't know if I would like him as a starting franchise quarterback.

Dixon could start for a season (or even a large chunk of a season) and then Clausen could take over.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I dunno bro, maybe for FUN? It's the offseason its entertaining to start discussions. Plus you never know, Ben could wreck another motorcycle and end his career.

I bet its safe to say the Steelers have a plan if Ben goes down or leaves, so why can't we?!

Actually, I don't think that is safe to say.

When you have a franchise quarterback, you don't draft quarterbacks in the first round or sign big name quarterbacks who can start in the league. Those guys expect to start.

I don't think the Steelers view Batch, Dixon, or Palko as guys who could carry this team to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl.

Do you think the Colts or the Saints have a plan for if Peyton or Brees goes down for a season or retires suddenly? I doubt it because it's not something that is expected.

Northside Jonny
02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Tony Pike will be a good pro why not give him a shot.

Prok
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Geez talk about a tough choice....

I'd go with Dixon too.

We'd probably lose enough to be in the top 10 come draft time. Then we could be in position to grab us another possible franchise QB. But damn would that season sukkkkkkk! :banging:

MDSteel15
02-09-2010, 03:40 AM
id give michael vick a phone call so i dont have to trade for him in madden anyways and then he can leap into the "dawg" pound every year.

Please God kill me now! :banging:

Galax Steeler
02-09-2010, 03:42 AM
I would go with Byron Leftwich he has shown he can play in the Steelers system.

markymarc
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Just line up Dennis Dixon under center and let's see what happens.

BleedBlacknGold0
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Actually, I don't think that is safe to say.

When you have a franchise quarterback, you don't draft quarterbacks in the first round or sign big name quarterbacks who can start in the league. Those guys expect to start.

I don't think the Steelers view Batch, Dixon, or Palko as guys who could carry this team to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl.

Do you think the Colts or the Saints have a plan for if Peyton or Brees goes down for a season or retires suddenly? I doubt it because it's not something that is expected.

If this is your logic, then why have backup QB's?

You can't plan your team around one player always being there, even if it is a franchise QB.

mojawi
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Trade for Troy Smith and let him and Dixon battle it out.