PDA

View Full Version : EDIT: Dick Lebeau Elected to NFL HOF

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200811/lebeau1_500.jpg

:tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04:

SMR
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Indeed! Dawson made it!! WHOOO HOOO!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

steelerdude15
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
YEAHHHHH

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
pUT HIM IN THE FU$$ HALL OF FAME NFL WHAT THE HELL MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO!

msafford
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Indeed! Dawson made it!! WHOOO HOOO!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

He didn't make the final cut. :bs: Oh well....hopefully next year things WILL be different!

steelerdude15
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Lebeau is so close...

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
lebeau should get it.

screw jerry rice who cares about him he done f all for the league after his career lebeau at 70 make record number 1 defensives.

assholes announce him already im waiting.

steelerdude15
02-06-2010, 05:37 PM
YEAHHHHHHHHH LEBEAU!!!!!

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:37 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CONGRATS MAN KEEP IT GOING MAN

msafford
02-06-2010, 05:38 PM
:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

SWEET!!!

The Duke
02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I literally jumped out of my chair!

Congrats Dick, it is way way overdue

SMR
02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Scratch the awesome Dawson- sigh! At least LeBeau made it- yeah!!!!!!!!

:tt::tt::tt::tt:

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

detroit arnt even got threads going stupid bastards. what he did for that franchise.

he a steeler though!

:tt04::tt04::tt04:

steelerdude15
02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
So is Lebeau going under as a Lion because they said he was going under a CB.

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM

yes, the lions arn't even talking about it on their forum ignorant idiots :banging::banging::banging:

tony hipchest
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
pUT HIM IN THE FU$$ HALL OF FAME NFL WHAT THE HELL MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO!

screw jerry rice who cares about him he done f all for the league after his career lebeau at 70 make record number 1 defensives.

assholes announce him already im waiting.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CONGRATS MAN KEEP IT GOING MAN

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

detroit arnt even got threads going stupid bastards. what he did for that franchise.

:

wtf does any of this gobledygook mean?

for those who dont know, lebeau was finally anounced as a new member of the HOF.

congrats to doach dad. i cant wait for the 1st game of '10 in canton and the enshrinement. grimm and lebeau. the entire crowd will be black and yellow.

Steelboy84
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Feel bad for those that didn't make it. Cris Carter and Andre Reed still not being in is a travesty.

But the HOF just got the best defensive coordinator of all time!!!!!!!!!!

MACH1
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
About time. Congrats Coach Lebeau.

SMR
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
yes, the lions arn't even talking about it on their forum ignorant idiots :banging::banging::banging:

You sure about that? That would be a travesty. Wow.

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 05:54 PM

for those who dont know, lebeau was finally anounced as a new member of the HOF.

congrats to doach dad. i cant wait for the 1st game of '10 in canton and the enshrinement. grimm and lebeau. the entire crowd will be black and yellow.

shut the hell up and sit down unlike others who are grumpy people who slit their wrists i am pleased and was excited for his selection.

kiss da baby

The Duke
02-06-2010, 06:02 PM

lol, just what I was thinking

add this though-

shut the hell up and sit down unlike others who are grumpy people who slit their wrists i am pleased and was excited for his selection.

:noidea:

anywho...

Too bad Dirt didn't make it. Next year for sure. Him and Bussy! :tt02:

supa_fly_steeler
02-06-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d8162e68e

his induction is soon up next

mesaSteeler
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Coaching helped LeBeau to HOF
February, 6, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/9330/coaching-helped-lebeau-to-hof

By James Walker
Dick LeBeau--the player and longtime defensive back for the Detroit Lions--was voted into the Hall of Fame on Saturday.

But make no mistake it was LeBeau's lengthy and stellar coaching career which, directly or indirectly, helped get LeBeau over the hump.

LeBeau, 72, was a senior committee nominee. He will join an impressive 2010 class that includes Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Russ Grimm, John Randle, Rickey Jackson and fellow senior nominee Floyd Little.

For many years, the Hall of Fame panel debated the merits of LeBeau's playing career, which is fair. He recorded 62 interceptions and made three Pro Bowls during his 14-year career.

But LeBeau, a first-time finalist, didn't become a better player since he retired in 1972. It was LeBeau's continual contributions to pro football after retirement that made his induction into Canton undeniable.

LeBeau is the most accomplished defensive coordinator in NFL history. He invented the "zone blitz," which helped win two Super Bowls with the Pittsburgh Steelers. LeBeau also made it to three additional Super Bowls as a coach with Pittsburgh in 1995 and the Cincinnati Bengals in 1981 and 1988.

When the Hall of Fame panel had to vote "yes" or "no" on LeBeau the player, LeBeau the coach and overall contributor had to weigh in the back of voters’ minds whether they admit it or not.

I remember covering last year's Super Bowl between the Steelers and Arizona Cardinals when conversations about LeBeau and the Hall of Fame really began to heat up.

The talk had nothing to do with LeBeau's playing career, which ended more than three decades ago. But it had everything to do with LeBeau once again coaching an elite defense into the Super Bowl and how much he added to the game throughout his career. Ending the week by winning his second championship as defensive coordinator only added to his resume.

As a player and coach, a strong case can be made that no one has dedicated more of his life to pro football than Dick LeBeau. This summer pro football will return the favor and give its highest honor by inducting LeBeau into the Hall of Fame.

Merchant
02-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Congratz to Lebeau. It was wayy overdue but it finally happened!

devilsdancefloor
02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
congrats to coach dad it is long overdue!!:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

HometownGal
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Congrats Papa Lebeau! One of the all-time best defensive players to ever set foot on the field. :drink: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Chidi29
02-06-2010, 06:43 PM

I didn't think football went in as teams. Baseball does, not football.

Either way, congrats Dick! You deserve it.

Nadroj 20
02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Congrats Lebeau, very deserving and im happy for this well earned honor.

Carolina Steelers
02-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Way over due as a player. Congrats He should go in twice as a player and a contributer

steelerdude15
02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, congrads to the greatest defensive coordinator to being selected to the HOF.

hindes204
02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
well deserved and way overdue...congrats

St33lersguy
02-06-2010, 08:13 PM
It's about time he made it in. His wait was too long.

X-Terminator
02-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Long, long overdue. Congrats Dick!

stillers4me
02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/DickLeBeau.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/f013046A.jpg

Congratulations, Coach LeBeau!! A well deserved and long overdue honor.

(And might I add what a hottie you were and still are. :wink02:)

memphissteelergirl
02-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow....LeBeau was a cutie back in the day! Aged like a fine wine! :wink02:

Congrats, Dick! A LONG overdue honor!!

:applaudit::tt02::drink::thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear his induction speech!

JackHammer
02-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Cheers! :drink:

JHSilverback
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
congrats!!! :tt04::tt02::tt::tt03::applaudit:

Shea
02-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Can't wait to hear his induction speech!

Me either. I'm betting it will be emotional listening to him and I'm predicting I probably will tear up.

Hopefully, we will be in the HOF game, or atleast hope that the team will be close enough to attend the ceremony since I believe it's the day before any exhibition game.

They love this man and they should be there, especially since the last time they were in Canton this is what they did for Coach Dad:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/image0004_79436.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/image0002_79434.jpg

chucoblack&gold
02-07-2010, 12:47 AM
:applaudit::drink::tt02:

JEFF4i
02-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Bout time!

Boomerang
02-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Congrats Dick ,well overdue but they finally did the right thing:tt02::tt02:

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 05:43 AM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2691/lebeau2.png

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Dick LeBeau said he tried not to think too much about what he called "a lifelong dream." So much time had passed, it might have seemed like he would never make it.

But Saturday, 38 years since the end of his career as a Lions cornerback, LeBeau was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a senior candidate.

LeBeau will be enshrined in August in Canton, Ohio, with guard Russ Grimm, linebacker Rickey Jackson, running back Floyd Little, defensive tackle John Randle, wide receiver Jerry Rice and running back Emmitt Smith.

"There's something to say about longevity and sticking in there and holding onto your dreams," said LeBeau, 72. "But it's just unbelievable. I'm so thrilled, so pleased."

LeBeau, long overlooked, was drafted in the fifth round by the Browns in 1959 -- and released in training camp. He signed with the Lions as a free agent.

Playing in the defensive backfield with Yale Lary, Dick (Night Train) Lane and Lem Barney -- all Hall of Famers -- opponents figured he was the weak link.

"Dick wasn't blessed with great speed," said Joe Schmidt, another Hall of Famer, who played linebacker with LeBeau and later coached him with the Lions. "I think everybody felt they could take advantage of him."

In the end, LeBeau was the one who took advantage. He intercepted 62 passes. He was tied for third all-time when he retired after the 1972 season. He is still tied for eighth all-time and still ranks first in Lions history.

LeBeau said he was most proud of starting 171 consecutive games, an NFL record for a cornerback. But his interceptions came when seasons lasted 14 games, not 16, and teams didn't pass as often as they do today.

"His shrewdness and his intelligence and his knowledge of the game and knowing what they were trying to do to him all the time helped him intercept all those passes," Schmidt said.

That intelligence also helped LeBeau in his 37-year coaching career. He is credited with inventing the zone blitz, and he has had some dominant defenses. He won his second Super Bowl ring as the Steelers' defensive coordinator last year.

Now he should have more credibility with his players.

"Unfortunately," LeBeau said with a laugh, "they'll probably have to listen to it a little bit."

NFL notebook: Former football star Warren Sapp has been taken off the air while the NFL Network reviews a domestic battery allegation in Miami Beach. Network spokesman Dennis Johnson says the incident is being reviewed and Sapp won't be part of today's Super Bowl coverage.

Police said in a statement Saturday that Sapp has been charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery. An arrest affidavit was not immediately available.

Miami Beach Police spokesman Juan Sanchez says Sapp was brought in for questioning Saturday afternoon.

The former defensive tackle played for the University of Miami, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders.

pghfrank1948
02-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Yess!!!! Dick and Dirt Now Just LC Greenwood, Donny Shell, Mike Wagner, Jerome Bettis Hines Ward, and many Steelers to be named latter. The Steeler Wing in the Hall is going to get hugh!!!!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Finally! Great news Lebeau who single handily brought upon the 3-4, and zone blitz schemes and about 50 years in the NFL way way overdue, nut congratulations! :drink::thumbsup::tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Very late coming...but very well earned!!!

Congrats to the Lebeau. The HOF is all about players/coaches like Dick Lebeau. Some day I will I go and look at the busts in the hallowed hall...and one of the first I will look up will be Coach Lebeau's.

:tt05::helmet::tt05:

mesaSteeler
02-07-2010, 10:57 AM
LeBeau elected to Hall
http://pit.scout.com/2/944697.html
By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Feb 7, 2010

According to Dick LeBeau, every day's a great day to be alive, but this day particularly so since the Steelers' defensive coordinator was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He retired as the NFL’s third all-time leading interceptor following the 1972 season, but the 38-year wait to enter the Hall of Fame has been worth it for Dick LeBeau.

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ defensive coordinator was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday along with Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson, John Randle, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith and Floyd Little.

Here are the thumbnails of the other six inductees:

* Grimm is the former Steelers assistant head coach, Washington Redskins guard, University of Pittsburgh center, and Southmoreland High School quarterback. In his 11-year pro career, he played mainly left guard for the Redskins and won three Super Bowl rings. He added a fourth with the Steelers after the 2005 season. Grimm was named first-team Associated Press All-Pro three times in his career.

* Jackson is the former New Orleans Saints linebacker who also played collegiately at Pitt as a bookend to Hugh Green. Still underrated to this day (an NFL executive called him “Randy Jackson” in Saturday’s announcement), Jackson spent 13 seasons with the Saints and two with the San Francisco 49ers. He was named second-team AP All-Pro five times.

* Randle spent 14 years as a defensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks. He was named first-team AP All-Pro six times.

* Rice played for 20 years in the NFL, 15 with the 49ers, and is considered by some to be the greatest player of all time. He’s the NFL’s all-time receptions and touchdowns leader. Rice was named first-team AP All-Pro 10 times.

* Smith, who along with Rice made the Hall in his first year of eligibility, spent 15 years in the league, 13 with the Dallas Cowboys, and is the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. Smith was named first-team AP All-Pro four times.

* Little, like LeBeau a Seniors Committee nominee, played with the Denver Broncos for nine seasons and led the AFL in rushing twice. The story in Pittsburgh, though, is LeBeau, who still holds the NFL’s all-time consecutive games record for a cornerback with 171 and ranks seventh with 62 career interceptions.

After playing 14 seasons with the Detroit Lions, LeBeau spent the next 37 years as a coach, including two stints in Pittsburgh. He was the Steelers’ defensive coordinator in Super Bowls following the 1995, 2005 and 2008 seasons and will be the team’s DC when he’s inducted at the Hall of Fame Game to start the 2010 preseason.

LeBeau’s name was mentioned as an overlooked Hall candidate last summer by Rod Woodson during Woodson’s induction speech. Last night, Woodson interviewed LeBeau for NFL Network and here’s what LeBeau said to the former Steelers cornerback:

“They say something worth happening is worth waiting on. It’s been a long wait but thank God for people like you. I can’t express how happy I am this evening

“It’s been a lifelong dream really. I can’t imagine anything else that could be any more rewarding for any individual who’s made football – and I’ve been blessed to make the National Football League my life pursuit, really. And now to have my name beside all those great, great NFL players throughout history, it’s a totally humbling honor and one that I do not take lightly.

“I just can’t believe it, to be honest. I’m so much indebted to our current players and the players of your era who took me to the Super Bowl and kept my name current, even though it’s been a long, long time since I’ve played. I’m so grateful to you guys. The plug you gave me last year I’m sure did not hurt anything, Rod. I thanked you before but I’ll thank you again publicly.”

LeBeau later said in a phone interview that he was nervous the day of the election.

“But I did great up until today,” he said. “I had successfully put it out of my mind.”

LeBeau will have his older brother Bob LeBeau present him at the induction ceremony in Canton.

“He’s someone who set standards that I always tried to live up to,” LeBeau said. “He was a great athlete, a great scholar-athlete who went on to become a great coach and administrator at the high school level. He was productive and lived an excellent life. He’s been a great model to me.”

LeBeau ended the interview with the line he uses to greet his defensive players every day:

“It really is a great day to be alive.”

markymarc
02-09-2010, 09:07 PM
This is awesome news for Dick LeBeau. Although he should have been inducted a very long time ago. Unfortunately there are still a few Steelers players missing that also belong in the H.O.F.