PDA

View Full Version : A Steelers loss may be ruining your marriage

mesaSteeler
02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
A Steelers loss may be ruining your marriage
http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1571/2010/february/06/a-steelers-loss-may-be-ruining-your-marriage.html
By: Bob Bauder
Beaver County Times

Saturday February 6, 2010 09:00 PM

Bob Bauder

Times Staff

Pittsburgh Steelers fans are noted throughout the world for wacky behavior, but who knew they were prone to marital stress?

It’s true, according to TWOgether Pittsburgh, a program geared toward building healthier relationships among area couples.

A Steelers loss was listed among the top things that negatively impact relationships in Pittsburgh, says Terry Mann, the organization’s project director.

Yoi!

It ranks right up there with lousy weather and road construction for turning couples against each other.

Triple yoi!

Those revelations came from a random sampling of 400 people in a five-county region surrounding the city, including Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties, Mann said. The survey was commissioned by TWOgether Pittsburgh, which is attempting to get a handle on what causes marital stress in the region.

Mann said there are common denominators that cause strain in all relationships — work commitments, finances, child-rearing, household chores, for example. TWOgether Pittsburgh, in its survey, focused on things unique to western Pennsylvania.

“We focused on the weather because Pittsburgh is not known to have the greatest weather in the world,” Mann said. “We looked at sports. We looked at traffic and construction because it seems as if it never stops around here.”

They also asked people whether issues involving elderly parents can put a strain on their marriages.

They do, but they have nowhere near the impact of a Steelers or Penguins loss.

Less than 10 percent said aging parents contributed to marital stress.

The top three regional stress factors, in order: Road construction and congestion, gloomy weather, a loss by a favorite sports team.

And in Pittsburgh, the favorite sports team is the Steelers.

Of the 400 people surveyed, an average of 17 percent said a loss by the Steelers strained their relationship. Only 2.5 percent on average said the same about the Pirates. The Penguins averaged about 9 percent.

But road construction, by far, has the worst impact on marriages around here. According to the survey, nearly 54 percent of the respondents listed highway construction and congestion as the leading cause of marital spats.

Mann said marital stress can come in many forms, from short tempers to shouting matches and violence.

“It could be any number of things,” he said. “We didn’t ask those details.”

The good news, though, is that TWOgether Pittsburgh is a federally funded program. As such, it offers free workshops throughout the five-county region to help couples cope.

The organization has created nine different programs, most lasting six weeks, that focus on improving communications skills and other topics related to relationships. Mann said men, who are not typically interested in such things, seem to like the programs.

To find out more, log on to the organization Web site at www.twogetherpgh.org or call the office at (412) 741-8550.

“Sometimes people just need to be aware that something is an issue,” he said. “They just never thought about it. Like sports, for example; you get so caught up in a sports team that you don’t realize when they lose that it affects you.”

Bob Bauder can be reached online at bbauder@timesonline.com.

JEFF4i
02-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't say that it ruins my marriage, but by far and wide and I'm rarely fun to talk to after a loss.

solardave
02-07-2010, 05:55 AM
After a Steeler loss my wife gives me an hour to vent. She looks at me real sincerely saying "I'm sorry honey" The next day we're back to normal.

Galax Steeler
02-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't say that it ruins my marriage, but by far and wide and I'm rarely fun to talk to after a loss.

That is the way it is for me as well I am just a little cranky ok alot of cranky after a loss.:banging:

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
After a Steeler loss my wife gives me an hour to vent. She looks at me real sincerely saying "I'm sorry honey" The next day we're back to normal.

Yes Yes. My girlfriend gives me the good old pat on the back says "im sorry sweets," and she moves on while i vent the rest of the day.

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Well here it is, in writing, what I have been saying for a long time now. Fans take sports way, way too seriously when they should be no more than a diversion. If you're getting so worked up over a game/loss, your priorities are out of whack. Sorry.

DoubleSh0t
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Well here it is, in writing, what I have been saying for a long time now. Fans take sports way, way too seriously when they should be no more than a diversion. If you're getting so worked up over a game/loss, your priorities are out of whack. Sorry.

Agreed. I may be upset for a little bit, but after a little while I'm still not harping on it. And I definitely won't let it impact my relationship with my fiancé.

OX1947
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Never, ever impose your fandom on your family. Sure you may have a mood issue, but your wife and kids should never be treated badly because of your emotion from a game.

Venom
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
After a Steeler loss , I dont want to be talked to for atleast overnight. Also dont even make eye contact with me or look my way . I also sleep on the couch for the night. Its tough .

Vincent
02-07-2010, 03:06 PM
My Bride doesn't like football season anymore. She says I'm too tense. I don't think I am.

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/vinnyq/thestupiditburns.jpg

devilsdancefloor
02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
im usualy over the loss with in 15 min, but the lose to the stains and the 1st loss to the bungels it stuck with me for a few days, but no means did i take it out on my family. hell my wife would have hit me with a rolling pin if i did

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Maybe this is why my relationships never last through football season! :toofunny:

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Maybe this is why my relationships never last through football season!

hahaha:sofunny:

HometownGal
02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm disappointed after a loss, surely, but after a few minutes - it passes and I'm already excitedly anticipating the next game. BUT - during a game - don't talk to me, don't look at me, don't expect dinner, dessert or nookie and get your own damned beer. :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I learned the hard way not to take it out on the family sulking for days. It was one of the reasons my first marriage died after 17 years. It made me realize that sports is not that important in the scheme of things. I still get mad when they lose but try very hard to get over it within a half hour afterwards. Some games are harder to do that with, but I do a good job of it these days. I also have some health problems with arythmia and high blood pressure that was probably contributed to mightily when I used to get so mad in my 20s and 30s. Do yourselves a favor and don't let the Steelers ruin your marriage or your health.

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm disappointed after a loss, surely, but after a few minutes - it passes and I'm already excitedly anticipating the next game. BUT - during a game - don't talk to me, don't look at me, don't expect dinner, dessert or nookie and get your own damned beer. :chuckle:

My kind of woman! :thumbsup: :chuckle:

JEFF4i
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Actually, I'm far better after a loss now. With a kiddo, we just play a bit and I start thinking about next week.

stlrtruck
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
and get your own damned beer. :chuckle:

And get me one while you're up! :chuckle: :flap:

CanadianSteel
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I usually sulk for about half hour, but dont take it out on my family. My wife who usually doesnt watch the games with me always tells me she can tell in the first 5 minutes by my body language whether the Steelers won or lost.
Win or lose I usually go play with my 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter to help ease the pain and put a bounce back in my step. Helps me remember that although Steelers are improtrant when they are playing for that 3 plus hours, in the grand scheme of life, the loss is not the end of the world...

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
i always thought it was marriage that ruined football season...:popcorn:

markymarc
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Now that was an interesting read. My wife definitely understands to not bother me after a Steelers loss. It used to take me a few days to get over it, now I get over a loss within a few hours. Even my 6 year old daughter Chloe gets a little bummed when the Steelers lose :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
02-09-2010, 11:43 PM
i always thought it was marriage that ruined football season...:popcorn:

BWAHAHAHAHA !!! You got that one right on the money. :rofl::rofl:

stb_steeler
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I have the good and the bad. 1 my wifes a Steelers fan also....:applaudit:
2. She gets over the loss's faster than i do.....:kiss02:

Stlrs4Life
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM

About the same here.