PDA

View Full Version : Dawson continues to wait for Hall

mesaSteeler
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Dawson continues to wait for Hall
February, 6, 2010
Feb 6
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_666069.html

By James Walker
One of the top centers of all-time will continue to play the waiting game.

Thirteen-year Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Dermontti Dawson, who made seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1992-98, was once again passed over for the Hall of Fame. This was the sixth consecutive time he failed to make it to Canton since becoming eligible in 2005.

Dawson made the cut from 15 to 10 finalists this year. But Dawson wasn't part of the five inductees that included Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Russ Grimm, John Randle and Rickey Jackson. Senior nominees Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little also are part of the 2010 class.

This year was perhaps the closest Dawson came to making the Hall of Fame. He also was a finalist in 2008 and a semifinalist in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

There is an impressive backlog of players currently not in the Hall of Fame. In addition to Dawson, strong candidates such as Cris Carter, Cortez Kennedy, Richard Dent, Andre Reed, Charles Haley, Tim Brown and Roger Craig were all rejected this year alone.

Several more impressive candidates such as Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Jonathan Ogden and Jerome Bettis also will be eligible very soon. That will further congest the Hall of Fame voting process, which doesn't help Dawson's candidacy.

solardave
02-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Prediction, Bettis will get in before Dawson. And that's a shame. They both deserve it but Dermonti should be in by now.

zulater
02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Prediction, Bettis will get in before Dawson. And that's a shame. They both deserve it but Dermonti should be in by now.

With luck they'll go in together! :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Dawson deserves to be in the HoF. I hate when people say that there are too many Steelers are in the Hall and that the only the best of the best will get in. If you were the best at your position, then you should get into the Hall of Fame, no matter what team you played for.

SMR
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM

That would be totally awesome! I know for sure at least one of them will go in next sure and I will be going to Canton for the induction, the HOF is only 20 minutes from me. I was there last year and watched Rod Woodson at the parade and his induction later on- it was unforgettable!

:tt04::tt04::tt04:

revefsreleets
02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I will not waiver on this. Dirt deserved unanimous first ballot into the hall. He was the best player at his position for 10+ years.

steelerdude15
02-08-2010, 12:19 AM
With a little bit more patience, he'll be there!:tt02:

steelreserve
02-08-2010, 03:14 AM
I think he must be suffering from the fact that the teams he played on were pretty good but didn't win the Super Bowl. It's the only thing I can think of.

Speaking of which, how the hell is Roger Craig not in the Hall of Fame? I can't think of anyone in the history of the league that's had that big a part in winning THREE SUPER BOWLS and gotten dogged like that. The guy even had 1,000 rushing yards and 1,000 receiving yards in the same season. Nobody ever does that. Pretty much bullshit if you ask me.

Rick5895
02-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Dermonti should have gone in this year, NO WAY JOHN RANDLE IS MORE DESERVING THAN DAWSON!!!!

Steelers>NFL
02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
He will get there. Sometime, good things takes time.

steelerdave1969
02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I will not waiver on this. Dirt deserved unanimous first ballot into the hall. He was the best player at his position for 10+ years.

I agree with ya here reve. I loved what Dawson brought to the Steelers, the best at his position for quiet a while. Amazing that the Steelers went so long with having great Centers and now we just cant find one. But I think in due time he will make it... it may take a while.
The JOKE of the Hall of Fame induction for this year is that slacker RB from the Lions.. are you kidding me? Thats a joke, there is alot of great players that are not in the Hall that deserves it way more than him.

solardave
02-09-2010, 07:48 AM

yeah, that would be awesome!!!

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2010, 08:21 AM
There is an impressive backlog of players currently not in the Hall of Fame. In addition to Dawson, strong candidates such as Cris Carter, Cortez Kennedy, Richard Dent, Andre Reed, Charles Haley, Tim Brown and Roger Craig were all rejected this year alone.

Several more impressive candidates such as Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Jonathan Ogden and Jerome Bettis also will be eligible very soon. That will further congest the Hall of Fame voting process, which doesn't help Dawson's candidacy. for those of you who think hines ward is a shoo-in for the hall...

OneForTheToe
02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
for those of you who think hines ward is a shoo-in for the hall...

Exactly, Hines will get in I believe, but it will be a struggle. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Bettis doesn't get in his first few seasons either.