PDA

View Full Version : A 'retarded' fight. Political correctness gone mad.

zulater
02-07-2010, 11:50 AM
White House Chief of Staff Emanuel said (correctly, on substance) that for liberal bloggers to attack centrist Democratic senators for being too moderate on health care would be “f - - - ing retarded,” meaning politically unwise, then found himself getting a wedgie from Sarah Palin.

On Facebook, Palin, the mother of a child who has Down syndrome, presented herself as deeply offended by the implication that . . . what, exactly? That the liberal bloggers Emanuel was speaking to (in a private, off-the-record meeting) were acting as if they had Down syndrome? Surely the more mean-spirited insult would be to accuse those with Down syndrome of behaving as senselessly as lefty bloggers.
.:rofl:

Emanuel did use “retarded” as a pejorative term — never mind that “retarded” originated as a euphemism, an attempt to refer gently to an unpleasant fact. Those who are now known as developmentally challenged and were once referred to as retarded were, before that, known as idiots, morons or imbeciles. Would Palin have been upset if Emanuel had called the bloggers “f’ - - - ing imbeciles”? Emanuel wasn’t seeking to increase the suffering of those with genetic disorders, and Palin knows it. She is pretending to be offended for political gain. “Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the ‘N-word’ or other such inappropriate language,” Palin wrote on Facebook, “Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities — and the people who love them — is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking.”

Wait a minute: the N-word is the single most inflammatory slur in America. It’s been banned from polite society. Its purpose is to denigrate. “Retarded” as jokey slang for “stupid” is used all the time by thoughtful people who aren’t trying to offend anyone and aren’t referring to “children with cognitive and developmental disabilities.” The two words don’t compare.

PC sharpshooting has taken down so many conservatives over the years that I can understand Palin’s glee at finding Emanuel in her crosshairs. If Republican X should be fired for making an insensitive remark, so should Democrat Y, right?

Wrong. Neither should be fired, and Emanuel’s comment should be put in the bank and used as a defense against fake outrage the next time a Republican says something that somebody pretends to be offended by (but is secretly delighted to hear).

Let’s distinguish poor word choice from having severely bad ideas. Harry Reid said that President Obama had “no negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.” The phrasing may be weirdly Archie Bunkerish, but the underlying thought — that there is a distinctive pattern to the speech of many black Americans, one that Obama doesn’t share — is unassailable.

Republican senators Jon Kyl and John Cornyn compared Reid’s comments to the ones that forced the resignation of Trent Lott as Senate majority leader. But there is no way to rephrase Lott’s words to make them sound sensible: “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over the years, either.” Thurmond’s campaign was racist, and believing that several more decades of racial segregation would have alleviated “all these problems” was racist too.

President Obama’s remark that “You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college” may have offended the hospitality industry in the gambler’s desert oasis, but — substance check — would even Steve Wynn dispute that it’s not a great idea to deposit your college tuition into slot machines?

If you want to get offended, get offended by destructive ideas, not inept phrasing.

When Rahm Emanuel’s political obituary is written (pretty soon, at the rate he’s going), the words “f - - - ing retarded” will be forgotten.

But the words you should remember every time you hear his name (or that of the president who evidently feels the same way) are the ones he shamelessly and publicly uttered to justify using economic turmoil as a pretext for federal power grabs in unrelated matters: “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that, it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Have a comment on this PostOpinion column? Send it in to LETTERS@NYPOST.COM!

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/political_correctness_gone_mad_o1bAGriUZut0LrR24qX phN#ixzz0ery3JBBL

zulater
02-07-2010, 11:57 AM
This was a nice find. I get so sick of people who just look for reasons to be offended when no offense was intended, or at least wasn't directed to the party who pretends to be outraged and offended.

Palin makes herself look like an idiot trying to make an issue out of this sort of nonsense.:doh:

Making mountains out of molehills seems to be about the only bi-partisan activity that both our political parties can get behind in earnest. :shake01:

Borski
02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I disagree, that word can be just as offensive to some as the N-word is to others. Just because it isn't offensive to you doesn't mean its not offensive or derogatory. Public figures such as Emanuel should know better then to offense a segment of their population like that.

zulater
02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I disagree, that word can be just as offensive to some as the N-word is to others. Just because it isn't offensive to you doesn't mean its not offensive or derogatory. Public figures such as Emanuel should know better then to offense a segment of their population like that.

It's pretty evident to anyone that isn't trying to grind their own axe that Emanuel ( who I generally despise) wasn't attacking people with Downs syndrome or those that love them.

The so called 'R' word isn't comparable whatsoever to the 'N' word imo. :coffee:

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
It's pretty evident to anyone that isn't trying to grind their own axe that Emanuel ( who I generally despise) wasn't attacking people with Downs syndrome or those that love them.

The so called 'R' word isn't comparable whatsoever to the 'N' word imo. :coffee:

You are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree.

Perhaps you don't have children or family members that are mentally handicapped.

zulater
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
You are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree.

Perhaps you don't have children or family members that are mentally handicapped.

Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about? Because I do, an Uncle as a matter of fact.

I also have a cousin that was born with a deformed leg, but if you call my post 'lame' I promise you I wont get morally outraged.

:coffee:

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about? Because I do, an Uncle as a matter of fact.

I also have a cousin that was born with a deformed leg, but if you call my post 'lame' I promise you I wont get morally outraged.

I did not say you didn't have a family member or friend who wasn't, nor did I say you didn't know what you were talking about.

I simply questioned you and told you I disagreed with your opinion....nothing personal.

Your last comment was personal friend.

If you want to be an ass and start a flame fight go ahead.....

The Patriot
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Exactly. He needs to apologize. I'm sure everyone has mistakenly used that phrase at some point in their life, without considering the implications. Even so, he should know better.

zulater
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I did not say you didn't.

I simply told you I disagreed.

Don't be an ass.

You've just offended donkeys throughout the land. :chuckle:

Again Rohm's use of the word wasn't intended to offend mentally handicaped people nor the people that love them. And I'm fairly certain Palin knew that just as I'm fairly certain you do as well.

I'm no fan of people twisting people's words to achieve moral outrage. .

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM

That was a pretty silly comment.

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Again Rohm's use of the word wasn't intended to offend mentally handicaped people nor the people that love them. And I'm fairly certain Palin knew that just as I'm fairly certain you do as well.

Fair enough friend.

I DO understand your point, however at the same time I can understand why some people take it personally. That's all. :drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm not a fan of a party that touts themselves as "tolerant"...being consistantely intolerant of those who dont agree with them. But everyone has a cross to bear.

zulater
02-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not a fan of a party that touts themselves as "tolerant"...being consistantely intolerant of those who dont agree with them. But everyone has a cross to bear.

Not that it's relevant, but read some of my other posts in this forum and it might occur to you that I'm a dyed in the wool Republican who voted for Bush twice, and unlike many proud of it.

And tolerance to me includes not reading into peoples words things that were never intended to be expressed, regardless of party.

tony hipchest
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I did not say you didn't have a family member or friend who wasn't, nor did I say you didn't know what you were talking about.

I simply questioned you and told you I disagreed with your opinion....nothing personal.

Your last comment was personal friend.

If you want to be an ass and start a flame fight go ahead.....actually it wasnt personal towards you at all. but if you wanna use general baiting to eagerly enter into a flame war, go right ahead. :chuckle:

zulater
02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Exactly. He needs to apologize. I'm sure everyone has mistakenly used that phrase at some point in their life, without considering the implications. Even so, he should know better.

What exactly are the "implications" of using the word 'retarded"? Should we start by burning and banning all books and movies that have improperly used the word in the past? Well actually I guess similiar to the 'N' word, their is no proper usage apparently, so I guess we have to burn 'em all? :noidea:

I'll guess I'll get started by tossing my copy of "Dumb and Dumber" into the old fireplace later.

Or maybe not. :coffee:

Vincent
02-07-2010, 01:28 PM

The "tolerant" "tolerate" anything but those that don't.

I think liberals everywhere should be offended that Rahm used the R-word. :chuckle:

zulater
02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
The "tolerant" "tolerate" anything but those that don't.

I think liberals everywhere should be offended that Rahm used the R-word. :chuckle:

Emanuel’s comment should be put in the bank and used as a defense against fake outrage the next time a Republican says something that somebody pretends to be offended by (but is secretly delighted to hear).

Quoting from the article Vincent.

That's the thing, so often this sort of false outrage is used against Republicans. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and employ the same sort of outrage against Rohm just because I don't like his politics. Now maybe if it was Pelosi? :tap: :wink02:

steelpinstripe72
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
This has nothing to do with books or movies. It was utterly unprofessional in this case. I take it some people have never had others personally offend them by calling them something derogatory. I have CP, which affected me physically. I don't walk smoothly, I have a lazy eye, an arm that won't hang straight, and a hand that loves to be in a fist. People see this, and automatically call me "retarded," and other variations of the term. It happens quite a bit...one time that stands out was when this guy and his two kids were coming toward me on a college campus. Kids were probably...3 and less than a year old. Bad with ages, but anyway. 3-year-old sees me walking toward them, going in the opposite direction, and says, "Daddy, why is that girl walking like that?" "Oh, she's not very smart...I don't know why they let people like that be here." Those of us who have had it used against us personally will be offended - especially when it's used by someone who presumably doesn't or shouldn't have the maturity of an 8-year-old.

zulater
02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
This has nothing to do with books or movies. It was utterly unprofessional in this case. I take it some people have never had others personally offend them by calling them something derogatory. I have CP, which affected me physically. I don't walk smoothly, I have a lazy eye, an arm that won't hang straight, and a hand that loves to be in a fist. People see this, and automatically call me "retarded," and other variations of the term. It happens quite a bit...one time that stands out was when this guy and his two kids were coming toward me on a college campus. Kids were probably...3 and less than a year old. Bad with ages, but anyway. 3-year-old sees me walking toward them, going in the opposite direction, and says, "Daddy, why is that girl walking like that?" "Oh, she's not very smart...I don't know why they let people like that be here." Those of us who have had it used against us personally will be offended - especially when it's used by someone who presumably doesn't or shouldn't have the maturity of an 8-year-old.

If Rohm reffered to you that way of course he'd need to be removed from his job immediatly.

But he didn't. Like it or not the so called 'R' words has various meanings and a variety of usages in the English language. Rohm was not directing an insult towards people who appear to be or who are mentally challenged. And i think you know it.

A movie like dumb and dumber while not intended to offend probably has a lot more to do with th negative perception you have received in the past.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Not that it's relevant, but read some of my other posts in this forum and it might occur to you that I'm a dyed in the wool Republican who voted for Bush twice, and unlike many proud of it.

And tolerance to me includes not reading into peoples words things that were never intended to be expressed, regardless of party.

Wasnt talking about you...I was talking about a "party"...hence:

I'm not a fan of a party that touts themselves as "tolerant"...being consistantely intolerant of those who dont agree with them

Wasnt reading into your words....but you might want to take the time to read posts before you comment on them.:doh:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Emanuel’s comment should be put in the bank and used as a defense against fake outrage the next time a Republican says something that somebody pretends to be offended by (but is secretly delighted to hear).

Quoting from the article Vincent.

That's the thing, so often this sort of false outrage is used against Republicans. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and employ the same sort of outrage against Rohm just because I don't like his politics. Now maybe if it was Pelosi? :tap: :wink02:

To make myself CLEAR...since some like to twist meaning...

Regardless of party...when someone is on a position of authority and in a place in which their words have power, that person should have the self-control to choose their words carefully.

To whom much is entrusted...much is expected.

When George Bush gave the middle finger as a joke and it was photgraphed for all the world to see....it pissed me off. Our leaders should have some sense of decorum and civil responsibility.

The world doesnt need to have the "ugly american" label justified by people like Rohm who lack self control and civility.

The Patriot
02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
What exactly are the "implications" of using the word 'retarded"? Should we start by burning and banning all books and movies that have improperly used the word in the past? Well actually I guess similiar to the 'N' word, their is no proper usage apparently, so I guess we have to burn 'em all? :noidea:

I'll guess I'll get started by tossing my copy of "Dumb and Dumber" into the old fireplace later.

You have to be sensitive to the fact that, in life, some words have a different affect on some people than others. Nobody has anything against "Dumb&Dumber" but when your a politician, what you say reaches a wide variety of people so you need to be careful.

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin politically. But I understand that, as a mother, she has to deal with knowing that her child is going to have a harder life than most, and I understand why she might get angry if people throw words like "retarded" around carelessly.

:drink:

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
actually it wasnt personal towards you at all. but if you wanna use general baiting to eagerly enter into a flame war, go right ahead. :chuckle:

If your username wasn't Tony hipchest, I would wrongly mistake some of your posts as originating from a petty & feminine person sniping from shadows. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
You have to be sensitive to the fact that, in life, some words have a different affect on some people than others. Nobody has anything against "Dumb&Dumber" but when your a politician, what you say reaches a wide variety of people so you need to be careful.

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin politically. But I understand that, as a mother, she has to deal with knowing that her child is going to have a harder life than most, and I understand why she might get angry if people throw words like "retarded" around carelessly.

Well said.

smokin3000gt
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
bottom line is that EVERYTHING is offensive so somebody. The question is where does it stop? I agree, political correctness has gone mad. Was it smart for rohm to say that? NO.. but should everyone fly off the handle because of it? I don't think so.

In the ready mix business there is a chemical used to 'retard' the concrete or slow it down from getting hard too quick. That isn't an attack on handicapped people or on concrete that isn't retarded. Let's get real folks.. can't keep everyone happy all the time. We can't limit free speech because it might hurt somebodies feelings.

Aussie_steeler
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I dont agree with Patriot very often but I most definitely do on this one.

To know someone with a developmental disability allows you to see life with a little more empathy for the challenges they face.

To be related to someone with a developmental disability brings you so much closer to seeing the real person and what effect societal ignorance has.

To be a parent means that you are so close that unfortunately you feel every hurt and take it personal when it happens.

In a political context or wherever the word is used, better options can always be taken. When used it usually just indicates a little ingrained intolerance and prejudice naturally exists.

But in my world, if you are intentionally using the word to hurt and offend then it is no different to the N word.

Its Superbowl sunday, and I would love to see Peyton Mannings performance significantly delayed today by a scorching Saints pass rush. But I would never wish that today Peyton played was so called R#######.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 03:05 PM
bottom line is that EVERYTHING is offensive so somebody. The question is where does it stop? I agree, political correctness has gone mad. Was it smart for rohm to say that? NO.. but should everyone fly off the handle because of it? I don't think so.

In the ready mix business there is a chemical used to 'retard' the concrete or slow it down from getting hard too quick. That isn't an attack on handicapped people or on concrete that isn't retarded. Let's get real folks.. can't keep everyone happy all the time. We can't limit free speech because it might hurt somebodies feelings.

Rohm DID direct his statement at a group of individuals and not a chemical process.

That being said....We are not talking about limiting free speech. We are discussing whether a person in authority whose very words have power....should be more respectful and careful of what he says.

I myself believe that the problem lies less in Rohms perception of the handicapped, then it does with his lack of self-contol and civility.

Lets not forget that HIS boss was the one who said that when he bowls...its like watching the Special Olympics.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7129997&page=1

So to be fair...those who have some form of handicap..or the families of those who face these challenges...are not dealing with an isolated incident from this administration.

Vincent
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
We've become an armed camp. Political tension has us at the breaking point. The "president" admonishes us to turn off our TVs. I long for those kinder, gentler days when Hillary called an aid a ****ing Jew bastard http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/07/17/trail_mix/ and the "Reverend" Jackson called NYC "Hymietown". http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/jackson.htm and LBJ lamented that "That ***damn n***** preacher may drive me out of the White House." http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/FBI/Who_Killed_MLK.html and nobody got "all wee weed up". http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/08/what_does_wee_weed_up_mean_pre.html

Can't we all just get along?

:rofl:

Steelboy84
02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
What's funny is when Rush Limbaugh made his comment using the "R-word", she had nothing to say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100206/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1114_4

Seems that she's simply using her son for political gain. If she was TRULY against the use of the word, she would have called him out on it as well. But she remains silent. She doesn't care about the word being used, she's just mad that someone in a Democratic administration used it. :coffee:

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 03:56 PM
What's funny is when Rush Limbaugh made his comment using the "R-word", she had nothing to say.

Seems that she's simply using her son for political gain. If she was TRULY against the use of the word, she would have called him out on it as well. But she remains silent. She doesn't care about the word being used, she's just mad that someone in a Democratic administration used it. :coffee:

If the circumstances are similar and she reacted differently in this case SOLELY for political gain, then shame on her.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Rush Limbaugh's statement is as ignorant as that of anyone else who uses the word....period.

Godfather
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Not true. She called him out for it too. And Hush Bimbo is taking Rahm's side.

zulater
02-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Yay! Someone who actually gets it! :applaudit:

zulater
02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Rohm DID direct his statement at a group of individuals and not a chemical process.

That being said....We are not talking about limiting free speech. We are discussing whether a person in authority whose very words have power....should be more respectful and careful of what he says.

I myself believe that the problem lies less in Rohms perception of the handicapped, then it does with his lack of self-contol and civility.

Lets not forget that HIS boss was the one who said that when he bowls...its like watching the Special Olympics.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7129997&page=1

So to be fair...those who have some form of handicap..or the families of those who face these challenges...are not dealing with an isolated incident from this administration.

That was a little misguided on Obama's part, given his position, but it was meant to be funny, and i thought it was truth be told. :noidea: Bad on me I guess? :doh: 20 years ago it would have been completely ignored.

Sometimes times change for the good, sometime's for the bad. Make of it what you will.

zulater
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Good for him. Glad he's not a complete hypocrite on everything.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM

The article stated:

Yesterday, when asked for comment on Limbaugh's use of the "r" word in a recent broadcast, Palin spokeswoman told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, "Governor Palin believes crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful." Today, Stapleton claims the statement was meant generally and she was not specifically referring to Limbaugh. Still, she declined to say that Palin believes Limbaugh's statements were acceptable.

You might want to read the articles before you post them and make incorrect statements....just saying.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
That was a little misguided on Obama's part, given his position, but it was meant to be funny, and i thought it was truth be told. :noidea: Bad on me I guess? :doh: 20 years ago it would have been completely ignored.

Sometimes times change for the good, sometime's for the bad. Make of it what you will.

I think you are actually touching on the source of the problem. When I was a kid, the word was used back and forth with each other in a good natured...sometimes not...way. It was never used with the thought of acrtual disabled people in mind.

I do not necesarily think it is "PC" to be "publicly" sensitive and civil about those whom you are representing as a politician.

We all feel the distrust towards politicians and the belief that we are not TRULY being represented is very strong throughout the United States.....how more "left out" would we all feel if our representatives were this publicly insensitive towards us.

GBMelBlount
02-07-2010, 05:59 PM

I think your response is a bit extreme Zulater.

Just because I don't feel certain speech is appropriate in certain situations doesn't mean I feel that it needs to be made illegal, that people should be fired for saying certain things I consider inappropriate, or that there should be censorship or books banned that use these words or appear generally insensitive.

It's my opinion, that's all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Yay! Someone who actually gets it! :applaudit:

....uh....no.

Just someone who actually agrees with you....not the same thing.

The rest of us can disagree with you without you being condescending and saying we dont "get it".

zulater
02-07-2010, 08:03 PM
....uh....no.

Just someone who actually agrees with you....not the same thing.

The rest of us can disagree with you without you being condescending and saying we dont "get it".

So you really think Rohm was trying to inflict pain on mentally disabled people and their families?

Personally I think we've become a society of wimps who sit and wait to take offense at the drop of a pin even when it's very clear that no offense was directed towards us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm

Here's another great example of political correctness running away with the easily offendable throngs.

Maybe we should just streamline the dictionary down a bit and take out all the potentially offensive words? :noidea:

urgle burgle
02-07-2010, 08:24 PM
now the question becomes what if i am mentally disabled and he inflicts pain on me.

and the answer is yes to both.....

zulater
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
now the question becomes what if i am mentally disabled and he inflicts pain on me.

and the answer is yes to both.....

I doubt there's very many mentally disabled people who are even aware of what Rohm said and even fewer that would take great offense if it's explained in proper context. Except of course for the ones that are coached up to get their panties in a knot I suppose? .:noidea:

Texasteel
02-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Could be because of my daughters work in special education, but I just don't like the word either. I have met a lot of kids that have been call that all there lives. When they hear the word they don't care how it is used, just that it is an insult and it's what people think they are. I think it is a mean spirited word, and I personally would love to never hear it again.

Borski
02-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I doubt there's very many mentally disabled people who are even aware of what Rohm said and even fewer that would take great offense if it's explained in proper context. Except of course for the ones that are coached up to get their panties in a knot I suppose? .:noidea:

I don't agree with your logic. Thats like saying that blacks wouldn't be offended by the N-word unless they where coached up to feel that way. Look some people are offended by some things others by other things.

If this was a causal conversation between regular people there wouldn't be a problem. But this is a public figure, he needs to watch what he says before offending the population and citizens in which he represents. and using the argument that's its not ofensive because they cant understand it is offensive unto itself.

No reason to ban the word, make it illegal or whatnot, but public figures need to know they can't insult segments of the population by using degroatory terms. I don't think he should be fired, but a sincere appolegy is fine with me.

zulater
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Could be because of my daughters work in special education, but I just don't like the word either. I have met a lot of kids that have been call that all there lives. When they hear the word they don't care how it is used, just that it is an insult and it's what people think they are. I think it is a mean spirited word, and I personally would love to never hear it again.

There's always going to be some knucklehead punk that's going to say awful things to those kids, but even if we remove the word retarded from the language there's always going to be some word they'll use. Maybe they'll revert back to moron or dumb ass, but you can bet they'll find some word to get under their skins. It's what ignorant punks have done since the beggining of time and will do until time ends.

Texasteel
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
There's always going to be some knucklehead punk that's going to say awful things to those kids, but even if we remove the word retarded from the language there's always going to be some word they'll use. Maybe they'll revert back to moron or dumb ass, but you can bet they'll find some word to get under their skins. It's what ignorant punks have done since the beggining of time and will do until time ends.

IMO the fact that there are word just as bad, or worse that this one is a poor excuse for using it. I would still love to never hear it again.

zulater
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
IMO the fact that there are word just as bad, or worse that this one is a poor excuse for using it. I would still love to never hear it again.

I hate taking words out of the language. It reeks of censorship. And I hate censorship.

Texasteel
02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I hate taking words out of the language. It reeks of censorship. And I hate censorship.

Or it may also smell like sensitivity. I believe there are hurtful words that just do not need to be use. I'm not censoring anyone, just wish that we could all care about the other person enough to put ourselves out just a little, rather that automatically say, "I have the right"

zulater
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Or it may also smell like sensitivity. I believe there are hurtful words that just do not need to be use. I'm not censoring anyone, just wish that we could all care about the other person enough to put ourselves out just a little, rather that automatically say, "I have the right"

'Hurtfull words' shouldn't hurt if they're not directed towards you. Rohm wasn't directing his ire at anyone but liberal bloggers who he feels should be more supportive to his cause. Not saying he's right, not saying he's wrong, but let's at least acknowledge what it's about.

Borski
02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
'Hurtfull words' shouldn't hurt if they're not directed towards you. Rohm wasn't directing his ire at anyone but liberal bloggers who he feels should be more supportive to his cause. Not saying he's right, not saying he's wrong, but let's at least acknowledge what it's about.

:doh:

Derogatory words such as N---- , R----- and other racist or derogatory terms referring to races or groups of people with disability can be offending, period. there is no reason whatsoever for a top US official to use them. not when they are supposed to represent the United States of America.

Doesn't mean they should be banned or made illegal, but to use them, especially in a public office is classless and unacceptable. I don't think he should be fired, but severely reprimanded and make sure he watches his mouth in the future. This man represents us whether you like it or not and this is a horrible way to show other countries how we think.

zulater
02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Deragatory words are in the minds of the beholder. I can call someone an asshole and depending on my inflection and the situation they could smile at me or punch my lights out. It's only words, if they aren't aimed at ya, don't be bothered by them.

And no, retarded doesn't equate to the n-word,so stop it already.

Steelboy84
02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
The article stated:

You might want to read the articles before you post them and make incorrect statements....just saying.

"Palin spokeswoman told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, "Governor Palin believes crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful." Today, Stapleton claims the statement was meant generally and she was not specifically referring to Limbaugh. Still, she declined to say that Palin believes Limbaugh's statements were acceptable."

She was not specifically referring to Limbaugh says her "spokeswoman". She declined to say that Palin believes his comments were acceptable.

She calls out Emanuel for what he said, but has YET to call him out. Her spokeswoman is speaking for her. Where exactly is Palin herself calling out Limbaugh? Where?

You might want to read the article before taking up for hypocrites like her in your failed GOP party. Just saying...................:coffee:

Shea
02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
"Daddy, why is that girl walking like that?" "Oh, she's not very smart...I don't know why they let people like that be here." Those of us who have had it used against us personally will be offended - especially when it's used by someone who presumably doesn't or shouldn't have the maturity of an 8-year-old.

Unbelievable .................. :shake02:

I wonder if that guy is just plain stupid or heartless, or maybe even both.

Makes me concerned for those children he is raising. How much of a chance do they have coming from a home like that??

Sorry, you've had to endure such behavior. :hug:

Totally agree.

People get so caught up into what they perceive as the never ending spectrum of political correctness that they just throw all of it out the window.

It's a matter that should be viewed as it pertains individually to a specific area and not as a whole. And starting with this subject, it's so easy.

It's a word that shouldn't be used, ever. It's really that simple and simply so easy to do.

More energy is put into defending ones' right to say what they want, when ironically it's so much easier, and so much more rewarding to be compassionate towards other humans and to acknowledge their struggles in this world.

zulater
02-08-2010, 12:50 AM
BTW I personally don't really employ the word retarded. Why, I really don't know or care. :noidea: But I do know it's part of our language and has many uses. I also know that Rohm was in no way directing insults towards mentally challenged individuals or their families in the comments that I linked at the beggining of this thread. Does he owe a general apology? That's up to him imo. If he wants to great, if not, that's his right too. But he doesn't owe Sarah Palin a bloody thing and she knows it.

ricardisimo
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
He didn't call them "mentally handicapped", but rather "retarded". I find it telling and somewhat interesting to note that had he called them "morons" or simply "stupid", no one with stupid or moronic family members would be writing letters of protest.

For the record, I think Emanuel is a douchebag and a cretin, and I will not apologize to anyone for that assessment, no matter whom I have offended.

Aussie_steeler
02-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Deragatory words are in the minds of the beholder. I can call someone an asshole and depending on my inflection and the situation they could smile at me or punch my lights out. It's only words, if they aren't aimed at ya, don't be bothered by them.

Here is an alternative view of a beholder.

http://davehingsburger.blogspot.com/2008/08/words-hit-like-fist.html

Perspectives are like A-holes. We all have them, some love them, some hate them.

Love your pursuit for the greater cause that now spreads across multiple threads.:thumbsup:

Gotta love freedom of speech---- I just dont like what a lot of people have to say.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 08:26 AM
"Palin spokeswoman told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, "Governor Palin believes crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful." Today, Stapleton claims the statement was meant generally and she was not specifically referring to Limbaugh. Still, she declined to say that Palin believes Limbaugh's statements were acceptable."

She was not specifically referring to Limbaugh says her "spokeswoman". She declined to say that Palin believes his comments were acceptable.

She calls out Emanuel for what he said, but has YET to call him out. Her spokeswoman is speaking for her. Where exactly is Palin herself calling out Limbaugh? Where?

You might want to read the article before taking up for hypocrites like her in your failed GOP party. Just saying...................:coffee:

Awwww...got it....You read it but didnt comprehend it. Palin made a broad statement "the crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful"...the word "broad" would mean that it was meant to cover virtually all situations involving name calling....
You are attributing the spokesmans comments and the authors spin to some sort of strategy by Palin.

As for taking up for the GOP...you might ...again....want to go back and try and comprehend what I said...when I was specific about Rohm and Limbaugh being wrong.

An agenda is no replacement for reading comprehension.:doh:

Borski
02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

How so? Each word is just as offensive to the people that it referrers to.

For the record I don't want a Representative of my country calling people assholes either, but using derogatory terms is unacceptable. when you are in his position you need to learn to be more civil.

zulater
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM

For the record I don't want a Representative of my country calling people assholes either, but using derogatory terms is unacceptable. when you are in his position you need to learn to be more civil.

If the r- word equates to the n-word then you better take it up with management here. Because one slides by unnoticed, while the other probably gets you an immediate leave of absense. ( I'm guessing, 'cause I'm sure as hell not going to use that word) . I can find you several posts on this board where someone calls Roger Goodell retarded. If it bothers you I suggest you take it up with the offending posters. But if you agreed with their points perhaps you've already seen the posts in question and didn't bother to admonish them? If so that would make you and anyone else who did the same complete hypocrites imo.

Sorry, but it's the truth. :hatsoff:

zulater
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Rohm isn't really a representative of the county imo. He's a hatchet man for the main represenative of our country, and a damn effective one, even if you don't like his methods. Rohm's job requires more ruthlessness than finesse, so this sort of language from a person in his position is nothing new and shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
If the r- word equates to the n-word then you better take it up with management here. Because one slides by unnoticed, while the other probably gets you an immediate leave of absense. ( I'm guessing, 'cause I'm sure as hell not going to use that word) . I can find you several posts on this board where someone calls Roger Goodell retarded. If it bothers you I suggest you take it up with the offending posters. But if you agreed with their points perhaps you've already seen the posts in question and didn't bother to admonish them? If so that would make you and anyone else who did the same complete hypocrites imo.

Sorry, but it's the truth. :hatsoff:

Your being condescending again...sorry, but it's the truth.

zulater
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Your being condescending again...sorry, but it's the truth.

And your point is...?

Indo
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Ahhhh----

The Off-season

:popcorn:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
And your point is...?

:rulez::checkit:

You can express your opinion without telling everyone else they dont "get it" or that they are "hypocrits"

zulater
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
:rulez::checkit:

You can express your opinion without telling everyone else they dont "get it" or that they are "hypocrits"

:grin:
Want some cheese to go with that whine sir?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
:grin:
Want some cheese to go with that whine sir?

Your not funny...not witty...not informed.

Being condescending is an ill replacement for the three. People are tired of this site being overrun with those who think they are "enlightened" and feel the need to bless the rest of us who "dont get it".

This board used to be a place where opinions were appreciated and counter opinions might not be agreed with but people were civil in their rebuttals.

Its new posters like yourself, who are transparant in their insecurity and therefore rude to those who might disagree, that make it harder for others to post and chase away many potential new members who dont want to be a part of a site that reduces discourse to simple name calling and immaturity.

Its my hope that this site can get back on track....so please try and raise your level of conduct and join the rest of us who want to make our time here one of enjoyment.

Thanks for the help.:wave:

steelreserve
02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
People are still arguing about THIS?

I mean, they actually expect to be taken seriously for demanding that I call it "developmentally disabled" or whatever euphemism they're hanging on it this year? Yeah, sure.

I have a REALLY hard time understanding our culture's recent fascination with renaming just about every term that's attached to race, gender, intelligence, medical conditions, income level, or basically anything other than being a middle-class white male of average build. It's like the P.C. police took the situation with the word n----- and tried to apply it to every other word that relates to any of those things, and demand that we think of a new one.

Seriously? People are manufacturing outrage over what are basically descriptive terms. Round peg, square hole.

You can go ahead and make up whatever name you want for yourself, but it doesn't make the whole concept any less idiotic, so don't expect me to play ball, or to give you anything more than a laugh and a sneer.

Bng_Hevn
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
The assumption that he was referring to downs syndrome sufferers assumes that "retarded" refers only to downs syndrome.

A person can be healthy, get into an accident and as a result become mentally retarded. Do they then have downs syndrome?

What I can't stand is the "R" word or the "N" word, that in and of itself is pathetic that you can't say the word "retarded" or "******" without being offended. Sure, if they call you that by name, by all means be offended. But to see the word in text or to hear it and getting offended is pathetic.

Just like ******. Do I get offended when I hear it? No. Would I get offended if someone called me one? No. It is only a word for crying out loud.

Or Cracker which is used more commonly these days than ******.

Steelboy84
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C4MagGurl0&feature=related

"They are kooks, so I agree with Rush Limbaugh," she said, when read a quote of Limbaugh calling liberal groups "retards." "Rush Limbaugh was using satire ... . I didn't hear Rush Limbaugh calling a group of people whom he did not agree with 'f-ing retards,' and we did know that Rahm Emanuel, as has been reported, did say that. There is a big difference there."

Different rules for different folks. She NEVER called him out on it. In fact, she's taking UP for him!

Bng_Hevn
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, that filter is in full gear.

zulater
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Your not funny...not witty...not informed.

Being condescending is an ill replacement for the three. People are tired of this site being overrun with those who think they are "enlightened" and feel the need to bless the rest of us who "dont get it".

We don't like your kind around here? Yeah I vaguely remember that when I moved from Pittsburgh to the rural south back in 68. Thanks for the refresher course though. :hatsoff:

This board used to be a place where opinions were appreciated and counter opinions might not be agreed with but people were civil in their rebuttals.

Oh go cry me a river. :doh:

Its new posters like yourself, who are transparant in their insecurity and therefore rude to those who might disagree, that make it harder for others to post and chase away many potential new members who dont want to be a part of a site that reduces discourse to simple name calling and immaturity.

:blah:

Its my hope that this site can get back on track....so please try and raise your level of conduct and join the rest of us who want to make our time here one of enjoyment.

Thanks for the help.:wave:

:fingers:

Anyone know why a fine place such as this would have such an inflammatory emotcon if it wasn't meant to be used? :noidea:

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Ahhhh----

The Off-season

:popcorn:

Gotta love it!

NOT!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Anyone know why a fine place such as this would have such an inflammatory emotcon if it wasn't meant to be used? :noidea:

The incredible maturity of your response almost has me convinced you are a well informed person with obvious incredible debating skills.

Stay classy.:thmbup:

HometownGal
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Guys - can we please get back to the original topic? Please?

zulater
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
The incredible maturity of your response almost has me convinced you are a well informed person with obvious incredible debating skills.

Stay classy.:thmbup:

Will do pal. :coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM

Not a problem...that was my intent.

zulater
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Sure thing HTG. :wave:

Sorry if I got off track. :hatsoff:

zulater
02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Not a problem...that was my intent.

No I think your intent was to tell me I'm an outsider, a relative newbie, and we don't like the way you do business.

Stay classy dude. :coffee:

Last time I stray off course HTG, promise. :hatsoff:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
No I think your intent was to tell me I'm an outsider, a relative newbie, and we don't like the way you do business.

Stay classy dude. :coffee:

Last time I stray off course HTG, promise. :hatsoff:

Congrats...you lasted three minutes.

smokin3000gt
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM

:doh:

now the emoticon is going to get taken away.

C'mon guys.. agree to disagree and let's not work HTG or the board's filter any more then we have to. We've got a long off season ahead of us already.

Vincent
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Is there an emoticon for "pissing contest"?

zulater
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Is there an emoticon for "pissing contest"?

http://msn.mess.be/data/media/15/pissonemoticon_2.png

This work? :chuckle:

zulater
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
BTW I personally don't really employ the word retarded. Why, I really don't know or care. :noidea: But I do know it's part of our language and has many uses. I also know that Rohm was in no way directing insults towards mentally challenged individuals or their families in the comments that I linked at the beggining of this thread. Does he owe a general apology? That's up to him imo. If he wants to great, if not, that's his right too. But he doesn't owe Sarah Palin a bloody thing and she knows it.

I'll leave it here for tonight.

And I also think Steelboy made a good point about Sarah Palin employing a double standard that has yet to be addressed by those that have disagreed with him.

Btw Rohm's apoligized, has Rush?

tony hipchest
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C4MagGurl0&feature=related

"They are kooks, so I agree with Rush Limbaugh," she said, when read a quote of Limbaugh calling liberal groups "retards." "Rush Limbaugh was using satire ... . I didn't hear Rush Limbaugh calling a group of people whom he did not agree with 'f-ing retards,' and we did know that Rahm Emanuel, as has been reported, did say that. There is a big difference there."

Different rules for different folks. She NEVER called him out on it. In fact, she's taking UP for him!of course she is.

thats her running mate in '12.

ricardisimo
02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
He didn't call them "mentally handicapped", but rather "retarded".

Last edited by HometownGal; Yesterday at 06:19 AM. Reason: Would you people PLEASE stop with the F-bombs?

There's some technicality I'm not getting here. I purposely did not write out the word, but did the asterisk business, and yet this was still edited out. Just how many steps removed from the f-word must one be to be acceptable, and how is "friggin'" preferable to f-asterisks?

I should also note that when we are quoting a public official, rather than just venting ourselves, a certain degree of latitude might be granted. You'd think...

steelreserve
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
There's some technicality I'm not getting here. I purposely did not write out the word, but did the asterisk business, and yet this was still edited out. Just how many steps removed from the f-word must one be to be acceptable, and how is "friggin'" preferable to f-asterisks?

I should also note that when we are quoting a public official, rather than just venting ourselves, a certain degree of latitude might be granted. You'd think...

I'm as perplexed as you. For some reason, it's not OK to bleep yourself out using that word, but it's fine if you want to have a thread about 2 Girls 1 Cup that goes on for several pages.

The Patriot
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Rahm Emanuel apologized. Let's move on.

revefsreleets
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting thread.

For starters, in the old days it would have been a tactical error to actually admit that a term like "retard" was offensive. That would have opened up the season on hunting super-sensitive posters.

But this is a gentle board filled with sensitive souls now, so..............

Anyway, I have no plans to stop using the term (unless it become verboten, which wouldn't surprise me). It's useful, and I only employ it when it's applicable. As I was blasted before for saying, if you don't WANT to be called a retard, don't post retarded shit. How hard is THAT to comply with?

steelreserve
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Interesting thread.

For starters, in the old days it would have been a tactical error to actually admit that a term like "retard" was offensive. That would have opened up the season on hunting super-sensitive posters.

But this is a gentle board filled with sensitive souls now, so..............

Anyway, I have no plans to stop using the term (unless it become verboten, which wouldn't surprise me). It's useful, and I only employ it when it's applicable. As I was blasted before for saying, if you don't WANT to be called a retard, don't post retarded shit. How hard is THAT to comply with?

wow, for once ... I completely agree with what you had to say.

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM

The big F is not permitted in any way, shape or form. Hey - I didn't write the rules. I am just asked to enforce 'em.

OK on the "friggin" issue. I was trying to come as close to compromising as I could, but I'll digress and remove it.

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
but it's fine if you want to have a thread about 2 Girls 1 Cup that goes on for several pages.

Want to post a link to the referenced thread?

steelreserve
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Want to post a link to the referenced thread?

I don't really want to do a search for it because I'm at work, and that could go ... not well. But I assure you, it was there, and I think you or the other mod even posted in it, maybe both.

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't really want to do a search for it because I'm at work, and that could go ... not well. But I assure you, it was there, and I think you or the other mod even posted in it, maybe both.

I was sent a copy of it and neither Gary or I posted in it. I noted that you posted in it, however. After long and careful thought, I deleted it since it was pure garbage and I had to make a quick decision as to whether I wanted to be accused of "double standards" or "censorship" so I opted for door #2 and nuked it. :drink: :chuckle:

steelreserve
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I was sent a copy of it and neither Gary or I posted in it. I noted that you posted in it, however. After long and careful thought, I deleted it since it was pure garbage and I had to make a quick decision as to whether I wanted to be accused of "double standards" or "censorship" so I opted for door #2 and nuked it. :drink: :chuckle:

Well, of course I posted in it. What did you expect, there to be a thread as filthy as that and I'd NOT post in it? I have certain standards to maintain, and they're not the high kind.