PDA

View Full Version : The onsides kick....

Bng_Hevn
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
The announcers said it was the only successful onsides kick (or attempt) in SB history before the 4th quarter.

Didn't Cowher come out on 2nd half kickoff in SB XXX and do onside kick?

jjpro11
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Cowher did did it 4-5 minutes into the 4th. i had to look it up because i thought the same.. so did Simms.

steelreserve
02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I thought the same thing too. Although I remember hearing an interview with Cowher where he said if he'd won the coin toss, he would've done an onside kick on the opening kickoff. Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Cowher did did it 4-5 minutes into the 4th. i had to look it up because i thought the same.. so did Simms.

Yupp exactly right. The Steelers had a successful On side kick in the 4th quarter, but sadly still lost the game.

Galax Steeler
02-09-2010, 04:00 AM
That onside kick caught me completly off guard I don't thing anyone saw that one a coming what a gutsy call.

SteelerNation12
02-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Payton set the tone of this coming season IMO. A lot more coaches will have grown a pair.

steelax04
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I thought the 4th and goal and on-side kick were both great moves. It showed that Payton was playing to win and I think it really kick started the Saints.

Psyychoward86
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Sean Payton has some serious balls. Going for it on 4th and short, that onside kick, DARING the great Peyton Manning to throw the ball on numerous downs. I always love me some nerves of steel. When Sean Payton said the Saints were going to have to do some daring things to win that game, wow, i didnt know he meant it like that.

tony hipchest
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Payton set the tone of this coming season IMO. A lot more coaches will have grown a pair.

Sean Payton has some serious balls. Going for it on 4th and short, that onside kick, DARING the great Peyton Manning to throw the ball on numerous downs. I always love me some nerves of steel. When Sean Payton said the Saints were going to have to do some daring things to win that game, wow, i didnt know he meant it like that.great (and very observant) posts,

phil simms was on sirius radio a few hours ago, and he relayed a little known story that is just now making circulation.

he prefaced it by saying there is no current coach in the league who is more like bill parcells, than sean payton.

parcells (who was out of the league at the time) was on the sidelines at the superbowl when the giants played the ravens. before the game he made a gesture to payton (giants OC) that suggested he would have to have a set of balls and use them.

while the giants went on to lose, it is obvious he learned from his mentor, and the little gesture of grabbing his package and telling his prodige to not be afraid to use them. :chuckle:

:thumbsup: (big tuna always had a way with "words")

Godfather
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Sean Payton has some serious balls. Going for it on 4th and short, that onside kick, DARING the great Peyton Manning to throw the ball on numerous downs. I always love me some nerves of steel. When Sean Payton said the Saints were going to have to do some daring things to win that game, wow, i didnt know he meant it like that.

I dunno if daring Peyton to throw was that bold. Maybe they couldn 't get to him and they adjusted by having more defenders in coverage.

Psyychoward86
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
there was one other thing Payton and his Saints did that surprised me.....cant put my finger on it...

steelerdave1969
02-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Yupp exactly right. The Steelers had a successful On side kick in the 4th quarter, but sadly still lost the game.

There was 52 players on that team that didnt lose that game for the Steelers.. can you guess who lost it for them? Bet ya can.. Neil O'Donnell Lost That Game

steeltheone
02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
great (and very observant) posts,

phil simms was on sirius radio a few hours ago, and he relayed a little known story that is just now making circulation.

he prefaced it by saying there is no current coach in the league who is more like bill parcells, than sean payton.

parcells (who was out of the league at the time) was on the sidelines at the superbowl when the giants played the ravens. before the game he made a gesture to payton (giants OC) that suggested he would have to have a set of balls and use them.

while the giants went on to lose, it is obvious he learned from his mentor, and the little gesture of grabbing his package and telling his prodige to not be afraid to use them. :chuckle:

:thumbsup: (big tuna always had a way with "words")
Tuna never won anything without Hoodie....