PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Saints NFL Opener?

MaidenIndiana
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Surely the powers that rule the schedule can see the beauty of having the Steelers play the Saints in the 2010 season opener. The last two SB champs going head to head. Sure would be better than the Saints opening with Bucs or Panthers

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The Steelers have a fantastic opening day record as of late, I doubt the NFL would want to see the Steelers go into New Orleans and stomp a mudhole in their arse week 1.

Vikings at Saints opener is my guess.

WeegiesWarriors
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Why would we want that? I wouldn't be scared of the matchup, but given the choice I'd rather not. The Super Dome is a crazy atmosphere anyway. I can only imagine what it will be like opening night. The league has turned that game into a circus celebrating the Super Bowl Champs (rightfully so). The opponents are an afterthought. It definitely would tell a lot about what kind of team we had coming out of the chute.

HometownGal
02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Vikings at Saints opener is my guess.

That's my thought, as well. Though is would be really cool to have last season's and this season's champs go head to head on opening night, don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

msafford
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
That's my thought, as well. Though is would be really cool to have last season's and this season's champs go head to head on opening night, don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

especially with a healthy Troy and Aaron Smith.

jjpro11
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
i said this in another thread, it's not going to happen. the Steelers are too big of a ratings draw for NBC to put them on opening night.. the game would get mega ratings even if it were Saints-Rams, just for the fact that it is the first game of the year. they will save the Saints-Steelers game for either Sunday or Monday night later in the season and use the Steelers to boost the ratings.

it will most likely be Saints vs a conference rival or a team that got a new star player in the offseason.

JEFF4i
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Probably Saints vs Vikings.

supa_fly_steeler
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
saints v vikes...

id rather have the opening sunday night crushing baltimore or new england to show the league we still have it... i think the new orleans team will go back to a 8-8 season.

JPbucco
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
saints v vikes...

id rather have the opening sunday night crushing baltimore or new england to show the league we still have it... i think the new orleans team will go back to a 8-8 season.

I would like it if we would play Cincinnati and the Jets in prime time.

supa_fly_steeler
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I would like it if we would play Cincinnati and the Jets in prime time.

and its garunteed that the cincinnati game will happen.

Psyychoward86
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Why would we want that? I wouldn't be scared of the matchup, but given the choice I'd rather not. The Super Dome is a crazy atmosphere anyway. I can only imagine what it will be like opening night. The league has turned that game into a circus celebrating the Super Bowl Champs (rightfully so). The opponents are an afterthought. It definitely would tell a lot about what kind of team we had coming out of the chute.

u should be, regardless of our team's health

fansince'76
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM

u should be, regardless of our team's health

Wouldn't have to worry about underperforming and playing down to the level of a shitty opponent, which is an annoying habit the Steelers have had for years now.

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Wouldn't have to worry about underperforming and playing down to the level of a shitty opponent, which is an annoying habit the Steelers have had for years now.

Exactly. The Steelers sadly only play "their" game when the opponent is playoff caliber.

Venom
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I started this same thread 2 months ago with this idea . The NFL likes to put 2 teams usually in the same division . Should Favre come back next year , I can see the Vikings at Saints for the opener. Nevertheless, The Steelers vs Saints would be nice to see the battle of the last 2 champs or Battle of the Black and Gold !! :tt04:

Northside Jonny
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM

The day the steelers start ducking other teams will be the day I am no longer a fan!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I started this same thread 2 months ago with this idea . The NFL likes to put 2 teams usually in the same division . Should Favre come back next year , I can see the Vikings at Saints for the opener. Nevertheless, The Steelers vs Saints would be nice to see the battle of the last 2 champs or Battle of the Black and Gold !! :tt04:

The NFL does not like to put two teams in the same division against each other in this match up. Only once has it been divisional opponents in the opening kickoff game.

Since 2002, the NFL has held a special Thursday night game to kickoff the NFL season. Since 2004, the game has been hosted by the defending Super Bowl Champs.

2002: San Fransisco 49ers @ New York Giants
2003: New York Jets @ Washington Redskins
2004: Indianapolis Colts @ New England Patriots
2005: Oakland Raiders @ New England Patriots
2006: Miami Dolphins @ Pittsburgh Steelers
2007: New Orleans Saints @ Indianapolis Colts
2008: Washington Redskins @ New York Giants
2009: Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers

These are the possible opponents for the Saints opening kickoff game:

Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Carolina Panthers, Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Seattle Seahawks

I think the three teams the NFL would want to see in the game are the Steelers, Vikings, and Falcons.

The Vikings would be a rematch of the NFC Championship Game, and if Favre comes back this is almost a lock for that game.

The Falcons were the team that opened the Super Dome after the Saints came back to New Orleans after not having a home after Katrina ravaged New Orleans and the Dome. The Falcons are the divisional team most disliked by the Saints fans, the natural rival. The Falcons are also the team in the division that would put any challenge towards the Saints for the division title.

The Steelers have an absolutely huge fan following. They are a marquee team in the NFL and the game would pit the past two Super Bowl Champs against each other. Two of the league's elite QB's against each other.

Cinnjerm
02-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I would just like to say that I'm really looking forward to this match-up. If it was the season opener that'd be cool, but I think I'd rather it be a prime-time game closer to mid-season. You know, one of those clash of the super titan type match-ups (hopefully a battle of the undefeateds)

steelerdude15
02-08-2010, 11:34 PM
It will probably be against a NFC team...

Chidi29
02-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Saints vs Packers in my opinion.

Galax Steeler
02-09-2010, 03:46 AM
I wouldn't mind playing them on opening day but it will not happen. Like most everyone else said it will probably be the Saints and Vikings.

mesaSteeler
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
NFL should pit Steelers-Saints in '10 opener
February, 9, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
By James Walker
As the reigning Super Bowl champions, the New Orleans Saints are guaranteed a nationally-televised home opener on Thursday night next season.

So here's a suggestion: How about the Pittsburgh Steelers against New Orleans in Week 1?

This high-profile game would pit the past two Super Bowl champions and a classic meeting between a high-powered offense versus a great defense. Quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees have three combined Super Bowl titles and are undefeated in the big game.

Pittsburgh is one of the top teams on New Orleans' home schedule next season. In addition to the Steelers, the only other teams on the Saints' home slate with winning records last season are the Atlanta Falcons and the Minnesota Vikings.

Minnesota-New Orleans would be an interesting rematch of the NFC title game. But if Vikings quarterback Brett Favre retires, this game loses all of its luster. (Possibly Tarvaris Jackson vs. Brees? No thanks.)

But Steel Town meets Bourbon Street? That sounds like a 2010 opener worth watching.

The NFL should make this happen when the schedules are released this spring.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
02-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm all for it and I'll be there regardless of when it's played.

markymarc
02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I would love to see this happen. How could you go wrong with the past 2 Super Bowl champs playing on opening night? Now let's wait and see how Mike Tomlin and company feel about this.

steelerdude15
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry everybody, but I don't want this. I have a bad feeling about this, we'd be going into an area that just won it's first SB and that crowd is going to be wild, plus it's in a dome. This would be a tough game and if Saints keep alot of their players... it's going to be an extremely tough game.

mikegrimey
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
It'll be a tough game regardless---I wouldn't mind opening up against the Saints. It's a low risk game.

-First week, a loss to an out of conference opponent wouldn't damage us much if we lost and we'd have ample time to rebound.
-It'd be a great chance to measure our team against the previous year's champion.
-If we won it'd all be gravy on top of it all. Only downside is it might put a bulls eye on us. I love it when we're playing great but slightly below the radar.

I definitely think its either going to be us or the Vikings, and, like the OP said, if Farce retires, there's little hype for that matchup. Oh well, it's a long way away, man I can't wait for the 2010 season.

mikegrimey
02-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I really think it's going to be the opening game.

Past two SB champs.
Steelers have the longest current opening day win streak in the nfl (if i'm wrong sorry).

It'd be a matchup with a lot of storylines. Maybe it'd give our boys some serious motivation to open up with a bang too---I know Polamalu and Smith have to be aching to get on the field and wreck some havoc.

steelerdude15
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the beginning of the season either, but the question is, would Polamalu and Smith be ready after missing most of this year? How is Arians going to react with everyone wanting a more balanced O? Is he going to be like screw you all, I'm running this show or will he actually let more running go and will we finally start scoring in the redzone?

Rick5895
02-10-2010, 03:49 AM
This would be a great match up. However, my guess it will be the Vikings in that game. No matter who plays the Saints in that game the rating will be high. I believe the Steelers/Saints will be in November/December on the Sunday night game on NBC.

Galax Steeler
02-10-2010, 04:24 AM
I'm sorry everybody, but I don't want this. I have a bad feeling about this, we'd be going into an area that just won it's first SB and that crowd is going to be wild, plus it's in a dome. This would be a tough game and if Saints keep alot of their players... it's going to be an extremely tough game.

It would be alright with me what could be better then to go to New Orleans and be the first to beat them after the super bowl and in there own stadium. We ain't scared.

solardave
02-10-2010, 06:19 AM
I would love to see this happen. How could you go wrong with the past 2 Super Bowl champs playing on opening night? Now let's wait and see how Mike Tomlin and company feel about this.

I'd watch it!!!!:thumbsup:

Venom
02-10-2010, 06:32 AM
I made a thread like ths one 2 months ago here stating if the Saints win the SuperBowl , they should play the Steelers opening night. But in the past , the NFL usually puts 2 teams in the same division go up against each other . Should Favre come back next year , I can see a Vikings @ Saints game for opening night . Nevertheless , I would love to see the battle of the last 2 champions go at it.

St33lersguy
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Should be on opening day, plus, the last 2 superbowl champs playing at full strength, while on the otherhand playing later on in the season some key players might get injured and the game loses it's luster a bit

MaidenIndiana
02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
What's this crap about the Steelers being at a disadvantage due to their fans, raising the banner, and all the other festivities that go along with the opening game. Is it going to easier or the crowd a lot quieter later in the season? To be the best, you've got BEAT the best NO matter when you or where you play them. I say get the MO'FO party started! :tt04:

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Just don't see it happening, some one pointed out the Ratings for the game will be huge no matter who the Saints open against, plus, the Steelers travel so well, and are great on opening day, it could be embarressing for the Saints to have 8,000 Steelers fans in their house and have the Steelers beat them after they raise the banner.

I see them getting one of the NFC West Teams at home to open the season, I would guess Seattle with the Pete Carroll story being played up.

DoubleYoi
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
The NFL does not like to put two teams in the same division against each other in this match up. Only once has it been divisional opponents in the opening kickoff game.

Since 2002, the NFL has held a special Thursday night game to kickoff the NFL season. Since 2004, the game has been hosted by the defending Super Bowl Champs.

2002: San Fransisco 49ers @ New York Giants
2003: New York Jets @ Washington Redskins
2004: Indianapolis Colts @ New England Patriots
2005: Oakland Raiders @ New England Patriots
2006: Miami Dolphins @ Pittsburgh Steelers
2007: New Orleans Saints @ Indianapolis Colts
2008: Washington Redskins @ New York Giants
2009: Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Well, would've been two in a row had the Ravens not cried to the league that they didn't want to play another primetime game in Pittsburgh. I see it being a division team, probably the Falcons.

steelax04
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Steelers have the longest current opening day win streak in the nfl (if i'm wrong sorry).

I believe you are correct...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_opening_day_standings

Patriots are one behind with a 5 game streak.

Psyychoward86
02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I made a thread like ths one 2 months ago here stating if the Saints win the SuperBowl , they should play the Steelers opening night. But in the past , the NFL usually puts 2 teams in the same division go up against each other . Should Favre come back next year , I can see a Vikings @ Saints game for opening night . Nevertheless , I would love to see the battle of the last 2 champions go at it.

If Favre plays out his contract for the Vikings you can take it to the bank :coffee:

zulater
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
No chance of this happening now, with Ben becoming a national pariah. In fact it wont surprise me if the Steelers don't get any prime time games this season.

steelerdude15
03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
No chance of this happening now, with Ben becoming a national pariah. In fact it wont surprise me if the Steelers don't get any prime time games this season.
I guess all the Raven players can stop complaining then. :rolleyes:

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

What the hell do you not know business.

NBC Gets a helluva lot of money from the Steelers primtime games.

Someone need to go back to school and learn the basics.

We have had 5 primetime games on average 3 years straight. Im guessing it's four straight.

We will at least get 3.

zulater
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
What the hell do you not know business.

NBC Gets a helluva lot of money from the Steelers primtime games.

Someone need to go back to school and learn the basics.

We have had 5 primetime games on average 3 years straight. Im guessing it's four straight.

We will at least get 3.

I know enough about business to know you hide your stink in the back room. This isn't a story the league wants front and center. Even if Ben isn't suspended or released, this is the sort of thing that can tear a season apart before it even begins. In other words a 5-11, 6-10 Steeler team isn't exactly going to move the Nielson meter.

And no way in hell do the Steeler open the season against the Saints on the Thursday night game now.

JPbucco
03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
ESPN has requested Pitt/Balt for the opening Monday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/ravens-could-host-steelers-on-opening-monday/

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/ravens-could-host-steelers-on-opening-monday/

Y-E-S

Ravnet
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM

If that goes through, then we probably wouldn't play each other again for something like 14 weeks, as the NFL would likely request a late-season contest between the two teams as well, assuming that the division will be on the line.

zulater
03-11-2010, 06:22 AM

Get ready for the Ed Garland Bowl.

According to a tweet from radio station WNST, ESPN's Ron Jaworski says that his network has requested Steelers-Ravens for their opening Monday Night Football doubleheader next year. The game would be played in Baltimore.

The Steelers and Ravens have played a handful of classics over the last two years, but they have traditionally come late in the season.

Of course, requesting the game and getting the game isn't the same thing.

Depending on what happens next in Ben Roethlisberger's legal case, the league may not want to showcase a team led by Big Ben or Dennis Dixon on opening weekend.

We'll see.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 09:35 AM
ESPN IS SHIT. Please make it at least on NBC.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I know enough about business to know you hide your stink in the back room. This isn't a story the league wants front and center. Even if Ben isn't suspended or released, this is the sort of thing that can tear a season apart before it even begins. In other words a 5-11, 6-10 Steeler team isn't exactly going to move the Nielson meter.

And no way in hell do the Steeler open the season against the Saints on the Thursday night game now.

Your obviously a bandwagoner fan who will always watch the Steelers when they win. Majority of others Including me at 5am when there losing to the Browns will watch the Steelers forever.

Go support the Patriots or Colts asswipe fans like you make me sick. Who cares if Ben is suspended. FANS WANT PITTSBURGH. THE STEELERS ISN'T A 1 MAN TEAM. It has other people like Troy Polamalu who other fans love to watch.

Go learn some buisness then come back to talk to me.

zulater
03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Your obviously a bandwagoner fan who will always watch the Steelers when they win.

You obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about. I never said I wouldn't watch did I?
It's what I expect of the league who's trying to sell the game to a national audience.

Majority of others Including me at 5am when there losing to the Browns will watch the Steelers forever.

Go support the Patriots or Colts asswipe fans like you make me sick. Who cares if Ben is suspended. FANS WANT PITTSBURGH. THE STEELERS ISN'T A 1 MAN TEAM. It has other people like Troy Polamalu who other fans love to watch.

Go learn some buisness then come back to talk to me.

Two things.

One, don't talk out your ass, you call me a "bandwagoner", I've continually supported the Steelers for as long as I've had consience thought, and I've raised my 13 year old son the same.

Two, go improve your reading comprehension and have some understanding of what's being said before you respond, then get back to me. No better yet, don't.

steelerdave1969
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM

This would be a great season opener and I had hoped that the Steelers would get to take on the Saints in the opener, but with whats going on with Ben I really doubt the league wants that. I wouldnt mind seeing a Steelers - Raiders matchup for Monday Night opener as well.