PDA

View Full Version : 11 people greeted the Colts at the airport today

stillers4me
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100208/SPORTS03/2090305/

The end of the Indianapolis Colts' season came down to 11 people.

Zoom Colts players exit the plane at Indianapolis International Airport Monday afternoon after returning from Sunday's 31-17 loss to New Orleans in the Super Bowl in Miami. - Charlie Nye / The Star

Not the 11 players on the field during the Super Bowl, but the 11 who showed up at Indianapolis International Airport on a cold, snowbound Monday afternoon, when the team returned following their 31-17 defeat Sunday by the New Orleans Saints at Super Bowl XLIV in Miami.
"Win or lose, they're still our team," said Brownsburg resident Karen Calhoun, who carried a "Where's the parade" sign.
The small group huddled together in the snow outside the closed Express Mail sorting facility at the airport, where the Colts' planes arrived around 4 p.m. Monday -- a Boeing 757 for the official party and an Airbus 330 for the team.
Each plane's arrival was little different than the arrival of a scheduled flight at the main terminal across the airfield. The planes rolled onto the ramp, and the passengers trudged down air stairs and onto waiting buses, while crews unloaded equipment into rental trucks.
The buses left the ramp without a word from anyone on the team. The closest any of the 11 fans got to the Colts was the other side of a security fence several hundred feet away.
Despite the subdued, isolated arrival, the few who watched from a distance were still enthusiastic about their team.
"We wanted to show our civil pride," said Paul Calhoun, Karen Calhoun's husband, who wore a No. 33 jersey, the number worn by defensive back Melvin Bullitt, who made five tackles on Sunday.
"We still beat out 30 other teams," added Marilyn Kurek, Lebanon, who wore a Colts cap and scarf to fend off the 27-degree chill.
Enthusiasm for the team, in spite of the loss, also was shown by Greenwood resident Ceara Robertson, who wore a handmade "I love Pierre" shirt and carried a sign to show she's a fan of wide receiver Pierre Garcon, who caught five passes in the Super Bowl, including the Colts' only touchdown pass of the game.
"He is the most amazingest player and has such grace on the field," Robertson said.
By the time the last buses had left the ramp, the few fans had already walked back to their cars and headed to someplace warm, to wait for the next season.

I would certainly hope that if we should lose another Superbowl, that Steelers fans would give the team a better welcome home than that. What a bunch of bandwagoners. :doh:

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Sad thing is, it was probably one family. The Steelers fans would have showed by the hundreds for sure no matter the loss. Thats embarrassing.

Nadroj 20
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Seriously wow, if the steelers lost they would certainly get a better welcome home then that, sounds like a bunch of bandwagoners and not true fans for sure.

stillers4me
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Kudos to the eleven people who took the time out to greet the team. But wow.

steelreserve
02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Didn't they also have, like ... 10,000 people at their Super Bowl victory parade, compared with half a million for us? Colts suck and so do their fans.

tony hipchest
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Kudos to the eleven people who took the time out to greet the team. But wow.if i was in the colts PR dept, i think i would track down those 11 people and invite them to a private luch with the team at next years camp. sounds like they didnt even get to cheer the guys or snap some photos.

colts owe em that much atleast.

AllD
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Send the Colts back to Baltimore!

devilsdancefloor
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
pathetic to say the least considering al i heard last week was how bad the colts wre gonna beat the saints.

Godfather
02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
The Saints had enough people to fill the Superdome:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/02/fans_setting_up_to_greet_new_o.html

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Sad thing is, it was probably one family. The Steelers fans would have showed by the hundreds for sure no matter the loss. Thats embarrassing.

Browns fans as well, in fact back in the day, after Byner coughed up the ball, there was mass of people to greet them at the airport. It's on youtube somewhere, I'll edit my post later to include it.

Same with the Tribe back in '95 and '97.

SteelerNation12
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Browns fans as well, in fact back in the day, after Byner coughed up the ball, there was mass of people to greet them at the airport. It's on youtube somewhere, I'll edit my post later to include it.

Same with the Tribe back in '95 and '97.
Browns fans are custom to losing. Its just another day for them.

beSteelmyheart
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Didn't they also have, like ... 10,000 people at their Super Bowl victory parade, compared with half a million for us? Colts suck and so do their fans.
I remember some pics posted on the board showing the comparison between the two, and it was so obvious that Indy just does NOT know how to throw a victory party!
Can anyone dig up these old pics?

Nadroj 20
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Look more people have responded to this thread then the people who showed up to welcome the colts home :chuckle:

Thats sad.

steeltheone
02-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Saints fans are not any better. The team probably would have been moved if it were not for Katrina. The fans rarely showed up and during the hard time wore bags over their heads. It is easy to root for a winner as we all know.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Browns fans are custom to losing. Its just another day for them.

Not on December 10th, 2009. :sofunny, but anyways, the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFe1W9t9UQQ

and a bonus, after the Tribe were beaten by the Braves in '95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nellM8J8B6o

Gnutella
02-08-2010, 10:52 PM
The Saints have the most underrated fan base in the NFL, as far as I'm concerned. I've seen plenty of them around the South for many years, dating back to the Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams years. I've gone to plenty of sports bars and seen a fair number of Ricky Williams, Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn and Aaron Brooks jerseys. Their fans are very enthusiastic, and sometimes overly so, like they time they trashed the ESPN Zone in Atlanta back in 2002. And speaking of Atlanta, Saints fans have always represented well at the Georgia Dome. This is part of why I had no problem cheering for the Saints in the Super Bowl: because their fan base is bigger and more passionate than most people think. And if you still don't believe me, the city of New Orleans was going to host a parade for the Saints regardless of whether they won or lost.

Shea
02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Kudos to the eleven people who took the time out to greet the team. But wow.

I agree, kudos to those eleven folks, and wow sums it up pretty well.

This would never happen in Pittsburgh.

if i was in the colts PR dept, i think i would track down those 11 people and invite them to a private luch with the team at next years camp. sounds like they didnt even get to cheer the guys or snap some photos.

That's a great idea and hopefully something the Colts organization will realize themselves and make happen.

mikegrimey
02-09-2010, 12:00 AM
The Saints have the most underrated fan base in the NFL, as far as I'm concerned. I've seen plenty of them around the South for many years, dating back to the Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams years. I've gone to plenty of sports bars and seen a fair number of Ricky Williams, Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn and Aaron Brooks jerseys. Their fans are very enthusiastic, and sometimes overly so, like they time they trashed the ESPN Zone in Atlanta back in 2002. And speaking of Atlanta, Saints fans have always represented well at the Georgia Dome. This is part of why I had no problem cheering for the Saints in the Super Bowl: because their fan base is bigger and more passionate than most people think. And if you still don't believe me, the city of New Orleans was going to host a parade for the Saints regardless of whether they won or lost.

Maybe you've had better luck interacting with legit Saints fans than I have. I can't remember meeting more than a few in my travels around the globe, until the katrin propaganda started in the 2006 season.

My perception has been a lot of them are fairweather and badnwagoners---if the SAints fall of the wagon again and they stay strong i'll be convinced. Even Cardinals fans came out of obscurity for a month or so last year.

Galax Steeler
02-09-2010, 04:58 AM
It is hard to believe that only 11 people showed up not much of a fan base.

stillers4me
02-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Maybe you've had better luck interacting with legit Saints fans than I have. I can't remember meeting more than a few in my travels around the globe, until the katrin propaganda started in the 2006 season.

My perception has been a lot of them are fairweather and badnwagoners---if the SAints fall of the wagon again and they stay strong i'll be convinced. Even Cardinals fans came out of obscurity for a month or so last year.

I feel the Saints fans are very much like our own Steelers fans. Everybody has heard the story about the steel mills closing down and families being scattered around the country. The Steelers bring those people home for a few hours every Sunday and they have passed that bond down to their children. Katrina victims were also forced to move away from home. Having their team win the superbowl is symbolic of rebirth for them and just like us Steelers fans who are far from home, a connection to their roots. They have gone through far worse than we ever have in comparison. I am happy for the joy this victory gives them. WE all know how uplifting it is.

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Wow - that is just pathetic. :shake02: While I realize the weather wasn't the best, most Steelers fans would have sucked it up and shown up to lend their team support. I agree with Tony - the Colts should show some form of appreciation to the 11 folks who did show up.

stillers4me
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Wow - that is just pathetic. :shake02: While I realize the weather wasn't the best, most Steelers fans would have sucked it up and shown up to lend their team support. I agree with Tony - the Colts should show some form of appreciation to the 11 folks who did show up.

Really sad, if you ask me. They lost the superbowl after a nearly perfect season, ( and I do believe they would have been undefeated if they hadn't laid down) and their fans can't bother to shown them any more love than that.

I was on the teambus for my highschools' boys basketball team in 1977 in Mercer, Pa. when we returned from losing the state champion ship in Hershey, Pa. (I was a :cheer:)
I know firsthand what a long, depressing trip home is like after that kind of loss. (7hours of selfpity). There was nothing more uplifting to those boys than the sight of a mile long line of cars waiting for them on Rt. 19 on the outskirts of town and the banner stretched acrossed it.

Shame on you, Colts fans. I'm sure alot of you would have found a way to skip work if they had won.

steelersfanman92
02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I can not say that I am surprised by this. People just stopped supporting the Colts after the two losses. You guys would be amazed by how few people were wearing blue on the days prior to the Superbowl. In my opinion maybe 25% of the people I saw were wearing Colts gear. It is the nature of many, not all of them, that if they lose the support is gone.

steelax04
02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
if i was in the colts PR dept, i think i would track down those 11 people and invite them to a private luch with the team at next years camp. sounds like they didnt even get to cheer the guys or snap some photos.

Agreed... doesn't sounds like it would be hard to track down those 11 real fans.

zulater
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I hate going to the airport, plus the way airport security is you can't get within 200 feet of the players anyway. So what's the point? Win or lose I'm not going. If they want to have something down at the square ( or wherever)the following day recognizing their season, count me in. But I'm not not into the airport thing.

mikegrimey
02-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I feel the Saints fans are very much like our own Steelers fans. Everybody has heard the story about the steel mills closing down and families being scattered around the country. The Steelers bring those people home for a few hours every Sunday and they have passed that bond down to their children. Katrina victims were also forced to move away from home. Having their team win the superbowl is symbolic of rebirth for them and just like us Steelers fans who are far from home, a connection to their roots. They have gone through far worse than we ever have in comparison. I am happy for the joy this victory gives them. WE all know how uplifting it is.

I think this is highly fanciful, and quite frankly, laughably absurd. Now, kudos to the Saints for their super bowl victory, but I don't buy into the 'symbolic rebirth' as you put it, of a city just because of a sports championship.
The Saints successes or failures don't coincide with the city of New Orleans, never has, never will.
If the Lions front office ever gets it together I fear we'll be hearing similar nonsense about detroit one day.

Ever since 2006 the media has tried to push this story down our throats, it feels like propaganda. So should we guess that their mediocrity and 8-8 records during the 07 and 08 seasons meant the city wasn't improving at all or bieng rebuilt? Did reconstruction come to a halt during those two years, only to be finished because of a superbowl run?

Sounds a little too hollywood, I dread the day that some player tries to make a feel good movie out of it.

Again, props to the Saints and their real fans, my point before was I never met many of them ANYWHERE before 2006---and now all of the sudden i'm running into people spouting 'who dat'. My comments weren't about the city or katrina or any of that unrelated nonsense, because thats all propaganda, but the credibility of some of these new saints diehards.

Winning always brings a few bandwagoners out of the woodwork, i'll see if I see as many Saints fans when they fall back to mediocrity.
Let's lay off the renewal of the city nonsense though---yea having the hometown win a SB can give a boost to the fans, but its not like it builds houses.

steelerdude15
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
That's horrible... It goes to show that all their fans care about is winning, now they can get rid of the terrific towel and shove it!

Ravnet
02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxdfS1JK0Vg

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
maybe all the colt fans were in line at denny's....:noidea:

Shea
02-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I think this is highly fanciful, and quite frankly, laughably absurd. Now, kudos to the Saints for their super bowl victory, but I don't buy into the 'symbolic rebirth' as you put it, of a city just because of a sports championship.
The Saints successes or failures don't coincide with the city of New Orleans, never has, never will.
If the Lions front office ever gets it together I fear we'll be hearing similar nonsense about detroit one day.

Ever since 2006 the media has tried to push this story down our throats, it feels like propaganda. So should we guess that their mediocrity and 8-8 records during the 07 and 08 seasons meant the city wasn't improving at all or bieng rebuilt? Did reconstruction come to a halt during those two years, only to be finished because of a superbowl run?

Sounds a little too hollywood, I dread the day that some player tries to make a feel good movie out of it.

Again, props to the Saints and their real fans, my point before was I never met many of them ANYWHERE before 2006---and now all of the sudden i'm running into people spouting 'who dat'. My comments weren't about the city or katrina or any of that unrelated nonsense, because thats all propaganda, but the credibility of some of these new saints diehards.

Winning always brings a few bandwagoners out of the woodwork, i'll see if I see as many Saints fans when they fall back to mediocrity.
Let's lay off the renewal of the city nonsense though---yea having the hometown win a SB can give a boost to the fans, but its not like it builds houses.

Actually, I found her post to be spot on and the comparisons of what happen during the hardships in Pittsburgh to now the dispersment of thousand of people that had to leave NO after Katrina exact. That team will always be able to bring them all back home on any given Sunday.

The next opener for the NFL season will be in a dome that was left with holes in the roof and relegated to storing dead bodies in parts of the stadium meant for food refridgeration.

It's symbolism and it's a powerful reminder of what can be accomplished with time and hard work, and reaffirms what is the most important part of life besides love - HOPE.

If you find it to be too fluffy and gaudy then perhaps you should take some time to reflect and realize how good you probably have it.

mikegrimey
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm sorry friend, I just don't buy into the Football Rejuvinates the city idea.

In reality, NO, will be rebuilt because of the sweat and hard work of people preforming acts of kindness, not milionaire athletes pushing a pig skin down a stretch of turf.

Now, about the dispersetion of NO citizens to other places: that's an issue that can be heavily argued. Case in point, my girlfriend was in high school during the aftermath of hurricane katrina, a lot of NO children and their parents were relocated to Houston and sent to her school, she has interesting accounts of the behavior of some of these relocated citizens.
My point isn't to stereotype, but to suggest that putting the savior robe on the Saints is slightly absurd.

I'm not going to get into the rest of your philosophy, i'm not trying to offend you, sorry if I have. I just detest silly propaganda, always have, always will.

stillers4me
02-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Steelers fans easily buy into the "propaganda" that displaced Steelers fans all over the counrty are bonded by the Steelers. I was just saying that the Saints fans are also scattered all over the country now due to Katrina and the football team bonds them together like the Steelers bond us. The stories of the despondant Steel workers and the football team inspired by the sweat and blood of their own lives that gave them some small thing to look forward to in the '70's has become legendary. The 2009 Saints have become that for New Orleans.

Of course it doesn't build houses or schools. But it has uplifted the city's moral and that brings nothing but good things.

There was a day not long ago that the Superdome housed refugees from the storm and was damaged to the point that the team was practicing in other cities and living out of a suitcase. At the same time they were dealing with their own homes damages and their own personal losses. Millionare atheletes lost friends and family members, too. They way they have triumphed is nothing but inspiring for their entire fanbase and anyone who has dealt with overwhelming circumstances.

If the Steelers aren't lifting the Lombardi this year, I can't think of any other team I'd rather see take it home than the New Orleans Saints.

Edman
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Great fans.

I know the weather was awful, but you have to do better than 11 people. But remember, the Colts parade back after XLI had pretty pathetic attendance as well. The Bills fans lost FOUR Super Bowls in a row and showed in droves for each one.

Colts fans suck. And once Manning eventually retires, they'll swiftly disown the team and go back to rooting for the Hoosiers and Pacers.

St33lersguy
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
11 people? I am sure you can find more families who watch MSNBC

steelerdude15
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
And once Manning eventually retires, they'll swiftly disown the team and go back to rooting for the Hoosiers and Pacers.
haha, the Pacers. :chuckle:

mikegrimey
02-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Steelers fans easily buy into the "propaganda" that displaced Steelers fans all over the counrty are bonded by the Steelers. I was just saying that the Saints fans are also scattered all over the country now due to Katrina and the football team bonds them together like the Steelers bond us. The stories of the despondant Steel workers and the football team inspired by the sweat and blood of their own lives that gave them some small thing to look forward to in the '70's has become legendary. The 2009 Saints have become that for New Orleans.

Of course it doesn't build houses or schools. But it has uplifted the city's moral and that brings nothing but good things.

There was a day not long ago that the Superdome housed refugees from the storm and was damaged to the point that the team was practicing in other cities and living out of a suitcase. At the same time they were dealing with their own homes damages and their own personal losses. Millionare atheletes lost friends and family members, too. They way they have triumphed is nothing but inspiring for their entire fanbase and anyone who has dealt with overwhelming circumstances.

If the Steelers aren't lifting the Lombardi this year, I can't think of any other team I'd rather see take it home than the New Orleans Saints.

I'm to young to buy into your statements about the Steelers fans dispersing and then bonding because of the team.
I'm 24, lived in Pit for only 7 years of my life, but love the steelers---don't really love every steelers fan I met, because a good number of them are like every other football fan out there, knowitalls who are painful to talk to who insist on repeating half baked cliches.

Now the rest of what you're saying is kind of weepy melodrama, like the superdome housing refugees and stuff, very sad that's true, and just reminds me of how unimportant football is in everyday life. I don't know how many members on the saint's roster actually lost anything due to the hurricane so i'll just have to take your word on that one.

I'm not much for escapism, Id on't watch the Steelers to escape from the harsh realities of everyday life, don't watch movies to forget about real life etc., so maybe i'm a little more hardened and not as gullible or susceptible to sob stories, but if the Saints winning a SB does anything other than give their real fans a reason to celebrate or have a party or act like degenerates i'd be a little suprised.

To me the people donating their time and money to make sure the city is rebuilt are far more important than some pampered athletes playing a game once a week.