PDA

View Full Version : Pre Combine Mock

Texasteel
02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I normally like to put out a Pre combine mock and see if it holds up. Usually doesn't, but anyway.

1. Earl Thomas S/CB 5'10" 195lbs 4.44
I've seen him listed as the 2nd best S, and the 2nd best CB, in this draft I will be happy with the 2nd best at either position. I have seen him play several times and think this is THE player we need, plus being the BAP at 18

2. Torrell Troup NT UCF 6'3" 310lbs.
I know some will say this is a reach, but NTs are in high demand this year and there are not that many of them, plus I am not that taken with next years crop. Troup showed in the Shrine game that he would be able to play the position in the pros. I wish we would have addressed this last year, but we didn't. Thomas is also a possibility.

3. Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale 6'8" 320lbs
I have not seen this kid much, but everything I have read and heard points to a good 3rd round pick. He is advertised as strong and quick, and athletic, right now I would take 2 out of the three. I will be very interested in seeing him in the agility drills, and the strength drills.

4. Tony Moeake TE Iowa 6'3 255lbs 4.82
Tony had injury problem early on, but this year stayed on the field for all but 2 games. He has extremal good hands, and can run after the catch. He is also a good blocking TE. An instant upgrade over the one we will loss this year.
( I AM NOT UNBIASED ON THIS ONE.)

5a. Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky 6'2" 257lbs 4.78
Micah got hurt at the end of the season and did not play in any all star games, I don't know if he will compete in the combines. IF his knee is recovering he could end up as the player the Steelers stoled in the 5th round.

5b. Kurt Coleman SS Ohio St. 5'10" 195lbs 4.57
Kurt had a good year in a good conference. 78 tackles, 4.5 for losses, 4 ints, 5 pass breakups. He did pretty well in coverage when the buckeyes where in their nickle defense. Will not eliminate the problem if Troy go's down, but would soften the pain.

5c. Cameron Sheffield OLB Troy 6'3" 255lbs 4.78
A good pass rushing DE. Even though he's a not a celebrated as Brandon Lang, you watch some of the games and look at the stats and he had about as good of year. Could be a quality backup for us.

6. Marcus Easley WR Connecticut 6'3" 215lbs 4.42
Some will call him a one year wonder, but he did a great job this year. He has a combination of size and speed. I believe his hands were questionable till this year. Worth a 6th rounder anyway.

7a. Brett Swenson K Michigan St. 5'8" 173lbs.
This is a, if we don't sign Reed, pick. Accustom to playing in bad weather which may be why the Steelers are showing interest in him. An accurate kicker but we may still have to put up with some shortish kickoffs.

7b. Trindon Holiday WR LSU 5'5" 162lbs 4.27
I'm not bad mouthing Logan, just would love to draft someone that runs a sub 4.3 - 40. For a little guy I have seen him take some pretty good hits and get back up.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
i think coleman might be a little on the small side to play SS in the NFL. :noidea:

Godfather
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I love Trindon but 162 pounds is going to work against him. At 5-5 he can't add much to his frame.

There's another LSU guy the Steelers need to grab at all costs--Chad Jones. He plays with a lot of heart and makes big plays in clutch situations. Imagine having Troy mentor CJ.

jollyrob68
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
You didn't address the need for a Center & compliment RB to Mendenhall.

Texasteel
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
i think coleman might be a little on the small side to play SS in the NFL. :noidea:

He could be MOP. I just felt that at this point in the draft he might be our best option as a backup safety. Particularly if the Steelers decide that Thomas is in deed a CB.

Texasteel
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I love Trindon but 162 pounds is going to work against him. At 5-5 he can't add much to his frame.

There's another LSU guy the Steelers need to grab at all costs--Chad Jones. He plays with a lot of heart and makes big plays in clutch situations. Imagine having Troy mentor CJ.

I love Chad Jones, would love to have him as a SS, but he will be gone in the 2nd.

supa_fly_steeler
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Texasteel, i love your first round pick. And 5.a

Trindon Holliday ran a 2.27 with nike high tops, whow. Bye Bye Chris Johnson as fastest dude in the NFL LOL.

Texasteel
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't see a OC or a RB as pressing needs in this particular draft.

supa_fly_steeler
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM

We got Justin Hartwig and Darnell Stapleton. Everyone is forgetting Isaac Redman :(

Nexe season we could have 3-4 ons our roster redman, vincent, moore, mendenhall, summers, and maybe davis again, dont think we need running back this draft.

:tt04:

Northside Jonny
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't see a OC or a RB as pressing needs in this particular draft.

Agreed . I think we will be able to add depth with free agency at RB, if needed. I also would'nt mind picking up Holliday late he has the capability of being an explosive returner in the NFL. (anyone remember Dante Hall?)

supa_fly_steeler
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Agreed . I think we will be able to add depth with free agency at RB, if needed. I also would'nt mind picking up Holliday late he has the capability of being an explosive returner in the NFL. (anyone remember Dante Hall?)

whos dante joke :P the was returner of the st. louis rams.

Man i just want the draft tonight and be able to see Earl Thomas be drafted by us. I really dont want him to become a Giant, Cowboy, Bengal or Ratbird.

Chidi29
02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Hall's prime was in KC, supa fly.

Steeldude
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
"anyone remember Dante Hall"

he played in a flag football tournament i was in about 6 years ago. or was it tamarick vanover from the chiefs. i get the two mixed up.

Steeldude
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Everyone is forgetting Isaac Redman :(

whatever happened to lakelander who was all over this guy's jock? was he banned?

Galax Steeler
02-10-2010, 05:01 AM
whos dante joke :P the was returner of the st. louis rams.

Man i just want the draft tonight and be able to see Earl Thomas be drafted by us. I really dont want him to become a Giant, Cowboy, Bengal or Ratbird.

The only team that could get him would be the Giants unless the other three you noted traded up to get him.

Aussie_steeler
02-10-2010, 05:45 AM
LIke the mock a lot Tex.
Good balance across the board. I totally understand your reasoning with Troup - he will meet the same fate as Ron Brace last draft.

Like the Moeaki pick. I think it would be a cracking pick come draft day.

I would probably swap Kurt Coleman for Harry Coleman. A slighter bigger SS that can handle the duties in the box against the run. ( Unless Kurt Coleman turns up at the combine 15 heavier)

Texasteel
02-10-2010, 06:08 AM
LIke the mock a lot Tex.
Good balance across the board. I totally understand your reasoning with Troup - he will meet the same fate as Ron Brace last draft.

Like the Moeaki pick. I think it would be a cracking pick come draft day.

I would probably swap Kurt Coleman for Harry Coleman. A slighter bigger SS that can handle the duties in the box against the run. ( Unless Kurt Coleman turns up at the combine 15 heavier)

I've got no problem replacing Kurt with Harry. You know I am an LSU fan and have seen him several times. His tackles where down a little from last year, but that could be for several reasons. I went with Kurt original because I though he would be a better all around safety if the team decided they wanted Thomas to play CB, and he is bigger than Carter.

Believe me Harry in the 5th would not put a frown on my face at all.

supa_fly_steeler
02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I would celebrate all night if we picked Earl Thomas.
8lJP6PcyEMg

It would be like christmas day for me but a couple of months late.

If a 9-7 pays off for Earl Thomas i call it a successful transition, although theres so much talent and even if we picked at 23-32 we would get someone good but if we were to have 1 losing season under mike tomlin as of yet i would of picked this one. Even if Earl Thomas aint there we still gonna get a stud.

I still question why Mike Tomlin picked Lawrence Timmons over Jon Beason but feel Timmons will be great this season.

SteelMember
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM

I'm on the same page, Aussie.

I believe Harry is about 4" taller (6'2"), and about 15 lbs heavier. He's definately the bigger frame, but Kurt may have the edge on skill set. Also, I think their 40's are within a few 100th's. All in all, I think it'd be a tossup between those two, but size is one thing you can't teach.

Nice job, Tex. :drink:

Really like Moeaki. He had a great display vs. GT, and I definately think we are going to get a TE. I just don't know if they go as early as 3rd. There are some good prospects TE/H-back in the later rounds as well.

Colin Peek - foot injury could get him to slide a bit
Andrew Quarless - Good player, but off field issues probably don't get him on "this" team.
Nate Byham - Solid player with a very good attitude.
Jim Dray - Basically an extra linemen, but can catch... as much as Spaeth, anyway.
Michael Hoomanawanui - LLT's local guy. He's got a solid resume. (ankle)

6. Marcus Easley WR Connecticut 6'3" 215lbs 4.42 :tap:

Northside Jonny
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm not as convinced about Swenson I like Hunter Lawrence of texas a bit more.

Steely McSmash
02-11-2010, 11:39 PM

5b. Kurt Coleman SS Ohio St. 5'10" 195lbs 4.57
Kurt had a good year in a good conference. 78 tackles, 4.5 for losses, 4 ints, 5 pass breakups. He did pretty well in coverage when the buckeyes where in their nickle defense. Will not eliminate the problem if Troy go's down, but would soften the pain.

43 Polamalu, Troy SS 5-10 207 28 7 USC

He just needs to grow 12 pounds of hair and then he'll be perfect.