PDA

View Full Version : Vick regrets being 'somewhat lazy' with Falcons

supa_fly_steeler
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Michael Vick likely will always be known for his seemingly unlimited potential. Now, after the QB resumed his career with the Eagles following his incarceration, Vick stunningly admitted that he didn’t work as hard as he could have during his time with the Falcons (2001-06).

Vick joined “Mayhem in the AM” on 790 the Zone in Atlanta on Wednesday (via Sports Radio Interviews) and revealed that he never truly gave 100 percent as a Falcon. While some might have wondered it, Vick’s acknowledgment that he was “somewhat lazy” is somewhat staggering.

“I think if I woulda applied myself,” Vick said, “there was a lot more I could have done off the field and also in the film room that could have elevated my game to a totally different level. I was complacent at the time, somewhat lazy, and I kinda settled for mediocrity.”

Vick did have many accomplishments with the Falcons, including leading the first visiting team to win a playoff game at Lambeau Field in 2002. But all of that pales in comparison to what could have been. That’s something Vick said he must live with now.

“Just imagine what I could’ve been doing if I really would have been applying myself,” Vick said. “That’s a regret that I have.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/10/vick-says-he-settled-for-mediocrity-in-atlanta/

revefsreleets
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Since he still wouldn't be able to read a defense of throw an accurate ball, I can only take this to mean maybe he would have run for more yards.

supa_fly_steeler
02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
He looked pretty well throwing wise when he was at Philadelphia

lionslicer
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Vick did look good throwing the ball on the rare occasions with the Eagles. He was accurate, didn't look to run, preformed well in the pocket. But no one will take Vick as a true quarterback. WildCat offenses didn't really start popping up in the NFL again until right after Vick went to jail. Wildcat has become a big thing now and he could be going to a team that looks to do that a lot. My guess is Miami if the Fins don't pick up Teblow or Cleveland since they just lost Cribbs.

smokin3000gt
02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
What a surprise.

"I get paid millions to play a GAME, but .... ehh... how 'bout I play just a little?"

RoethlisBURGHer
02-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Vick did look good throwing the ball on the rare occasions with the Eagles. He was accurate, didn't look to run, preformed well in the pocket. But no one will take Vick as a true quarterback. WildCat offenses didn't really start popping up in the NFL again until right after Vick went to jail. Wildcat has become a big thing now and he could be going to a team that looks to do that a lot. My guess is Miami if the Fins don't pick up Teblow or Cleveland since they just lost Cribbs.

How did Cleveland just lose Cribbs? He is still under contract for a few more years with them. He is saying he won't play, but I doubt he is going to want to lose all that money from being fines for missing mandatory camps, training camp, and games. He will play for Cleveland, even if he doesn't get a new deal.

As for Vick, he's a garbage QB. Always was, always will be.

He was not very accurate in Philly. He was 6/13, a 46.2 percentage. He has never been a very accurate QB in his career. The only reason he had such a high QB rating was because he threw 1 TD an 0 INT's in his 13 pass attempts.

If any team takes him and lets him compete for a legitimate QB starting job, they are fools. He's no more than a third string QB.

He isn't even that good of a Wildcat offense player. His best runs in his career weren't designed for him to run. He could never read a defense and couldn't ever look past his second passing option, so he would take off to run.

Michael Vick, possibly the most overrated player in NFL history.

Steeldude
02-11-2010, 01:48 AM
are people surpised by this?

also, vick was always a horrible QB. just another kordell.

lionslicer
02-11-2010, 06:16 AM
How did Cleveland just lose Cribbs? He is still under contract for a few more years with them. He is saying he won't play, but I doubt he is going to want to lose all that money from being fines for missing mandatory camps, training camp, and games. He will play for Cleveland, even if he doesn't get a new deal.

As for Vick, he's a garbage QB. Always was, always will be.

He was not very accurate in Philly. He was 6/13, a 46.2 percentage. He has never been a very accurate QB in his career. The only reason he had such a high QB rating was because he threw 1 TD an 0 INT's in his 13 pass attempts.

If any team takes him and lets him compete for a legitimate QB starting job, they are fools. He's no more than a third string QB.

He isn't even that good of a Wildcat offense player. His best runs in his career weren't designed for him to run. He could never read a defense and couldn't ever look past his second passing option, so he would take off to run.

Michael Vick, possibly the most overrated player in NFL history.

I didn't know, sorry ... no reason to flip out about it. I haven't looked into it since the season ended, I just assumed he already found a team that would trade for him and give him a better contract.

Every player has some potential, if you just say "thats it he isn't getting any better" then why should players have any time to even progress or why do coaches even sign bad players. Vick never had propper coaching or a propper system to work in. In atlanta he had one of the worst offensive lines I ever saw, he had to run a lot of the time. If anything when he had to run, he still stayed behind the LOS to try and make some type of throw. That shows some potential that he's actually looking down field for a play. If a team takes a chance with him, they'll look to coach him in reading the defense better. Will that happen? I don't know... But I still see teams using him in the Wild Cat, Eagles did, and he was pretty decent at it.

Vick will not be a 3rd string quarterback anywhere, or even a 2nd string quarterback who never gets in the game, he'll cost way too much to be kept on the sidelines. He wants 2-4 million. Backups make less than 850K

Indo
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Michael Vick likely will always be known for his seemingly unlimited potential. Now, after the QB resumed his career with the Eagles following his incarceration, Vick stunningly admitted that he didn’t work as hard as he could have during his time with the Falcons (2001-06).

Was it STUNNING that he admitted it? Or was it STUNNING that he didn't work hard?

I said it before...he is a below average QB at best----the stats are there for all to see

Here's a comparison of Vick and Ryan
http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showpost.php?p=761375&postcount=51

Bng_Hevn
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
That is the beauty of "if and buts", you can say what you want because you can't be proven wrong.

Being a great QB requires work on and off the field so you can't say "if you would have done it you'd be great". If you didn't do it, you're NOT great. PERIOD.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I didn't know, sorry ... no reason to flip out about it. I haven't looked into it since the season ended, I just assumed he already found a team that would trade for him and give him a better contract.

Agent for Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs says exchanges positive but no timetable for new deal
By Mary Kay Cabot
February 11, 2010, 11:58AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The agent for Josh Cribbs said today that he's having "very positive exchanges'' with the Browns regarding Cribbs' contract extension, but that he had no timetable for when a deal might be done.

"This is the most positive dialogue we've had since we've been doing this over the past three years with the Browns,'' said agent J.R. Rickert. "We're exchanging numbers and there's no telling what the timetable will be, but when we can bridge all of the existing gaps, we'll have this done.''

Rickert said he didn't think any of "the gaps are insurmountable'' and that he and Cribbs are very optimistic that a deal will get done. Cribbs, who's under contract through 2012, has said he thought a deal could be in place by the NFL Combine on Feb. 24, but Rickert declined to put a date on it.

Rickert said he's working closely with Browns general manager Tom Heckert and new vice president of football operations Matt Thomas on the deal and "it's the most professional dialogue'' he's had with the Browns.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/02/agent_for_cleveland_browns_jos_1.html

RoethlisBURGHer
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Every player has some potential, if you just say "thats it he isn't getting any better" then why should players have any time to even progress or why do coaches even sign bad players. Vick never had propper coaching or a propper system to work in. In atlanta he had one of the worst offensive lines I ever saw, he had to run a lot of the time. If anything when he had to run, he still stayed behind the LOS to try and make some type of throw. That shows some potential that he's actually looking down field for a play. If a team takes a chance with him, they'll look to coach him in reading the defense better. Will that happen? I don't know... But I still see teams using him in the Wild Cat, Eagles did, and he was pretty decent at it.

Vick will not be a 3rd string quarterback anywhere, or even a 2nd string quarterback who never gets in the game, he'll cost way too much to be kept on the sidelines. He wants 2-4 million. Backups make less than 850K

Michael Vick has not shown progression his entire career. He's always had potential, but he has never reached it.

He didn't show last year in his limited time at QB with the Eagles that he has made any great strides as a QB.

He wants $2-4M but that doesn't mean he will get that much. And there are backups that make more than $850k. I am pretty sure the fragile Charlie Batch was paid a million dollars last season.

The only team I have heard linked to Vick is the Buffalo Bills. Chan Gailey wants a veteran QB. I just do not see why he would want Vick to be his starting quarterback. I think he'd be better off with the three current QB's on his roster.

Nadroj 20
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
He looked pretty well throwing wise when he was at Philadelphia

He went 6-13 86 yards and 1 TD!!! thats not even a great first half of ONE game....how can you judge he looked pretty well throwing the ball???

Nadroj 20
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry 6 for 13 doesnt scream accuracy.

supa_fly_steeler
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry 6 for 13 doesnt scream accuracy.

he threw a perfect ball.

if he had played in more games he could of gone more.

yes he only threw 13 times, but look at dixon what did he go? and everyone is saying he was accuracte

you have to seen his throws to see his was actually accurate.

Nadroj 20
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
he threw a perfect ball.

if he had played in more games he could of gone more.

yes he only threw 13 times, but look at dixon what did he go? and everyone is saying he was accuracte

you have to seen his throws to see his was actually accurate.

Nope, Dixon played an entire GAME which is easier to judge rather then throughout a bunch of games one or two passes, Vick's amount of throws WAS NOT enough to make a good judgement..... and you said if he would have played more well yea if he would have played more (like started for instance) he would have looked worse, come on he wasnt all that accurate anyway how would he be in a full season coming out of prision?

I understand your a big vick fan but hes not a good QB and IMO never will be.

SteelMember
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I believe the basic premise of this story is Vick's reputation for his lack of work ethic finally met with an admission after some soul searching while he was in the lock-up.

He was, as they say, the last person to show up and the first person to leave...

camps, workouts, meetings and even games. His talent may have allowed him to do this in the collegiate level, but it certainly takes a little more effort if your going to be successful in the NFL... or at least garner some respect from your team mates.

He was the polar opposite of what Matt Ryan now brings to the franchise.

Vick certainly enjoyed all the benefits of the job while probably doing the bare minimum. Seems the checks cashed just the same.