PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Spring Training Thread

Borski
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I can't wait, I know every year they let me down but when it gets to this time of year I am just psyched for baseball season.

I'm going to a few games down here in Florida and because I usually work over the summer in PA I get to go to a few games up there. Even though I'm a Florida resident I have been to at least one game a season for the past 6 or so years strait and been to a couple in 3 rivers.

Who else is excited for the season?

Borski
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2010_03_02_macbbc_pitmlb_1

Pirates Vs Manatee-Sarasota

Alvarez gets the first RBI of the Pirates for spring training

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I hope Alvarez impresses so much in ST that the Pirates have no choice but to take him north. But I know it won't happen, because that would put plenty of asses in the seats, and we can't have that. I expect him to be a June call-up just like A-Cutch was last season.

Borski
03-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Alvarez batted .750 today, not to shabby

pittsburghp8baller
03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Looking forward to watching the Pirates on the MLB network today, Maholm and Ohlendorf are set to pitch i think an inning each. Dont know about the hitters but i noticed that the Pirates dont usually take any regulars on the road with them, would be awesome if T. Sanchez played.

And XT, ill say the same about Alvarez i said about Cutch last year, This makes sense- both money and baseball sense. First off we delay a year of arbitration by doing so. Second, well lets face it, Pirates arent going to break the streak this year. Instead of letting him go through a whole season of that, let him build his confidence in the minors and then while he is hot move him up. Could be a fresh breath of air to a struggling team.

It dont matter anyways, even once Alvarez and Tabata get up and start playing it wont matter we arent gonna be a winning team until we get a BONAFIDE number 1 pitcher (which Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke arent and Lincoln wont be) I think Lincoln could be a top of a rotation guy but not a 1

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Looking forward to watching the Pirates on the MLB network today, Maholm and Ohlendorf are set to pitch i think an inning each. Dont know about the hitters but i noticed that the Pirates dont usually take any regulars on the road with them, would be awesome if T. Sanchez played.

And XT, ill say the same about Alvarez i said about Cutch last year, This makes sense- both money and baseball sense. First off we delay a year of arbitration by doing so. Second, well lets face it, Pirates arent going to break the streak this year. Instead of letting him go through a whole season of that, let him build his confidence in the minors and then while he is hot move him up. Could be a fresh breath of air to a struggling team.

It dont matter anyways, even once Alvarez and Tabata get up and start playing it wont matter we arent gonna be a winning team until we get a BONAFIDE number 1 pitcher (which Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke arent and Lincoln wont be) I think Lincoln could be a top of a rotation guy but not a 1

Some think Tim Alderson could be that legit #1, but I don't know. They could have drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Lincoln in 2006, and they would have had their legit #1. But of course, Pirates "management" led by Dave Littlefield dropped the ball...as usual.

pittsburghp8baller
03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Some think Tim Alderson could be that legit #1, but I don't know. They could have drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Lincoln in 2006, and they would have had their legit #1. But of course, Pirates "management" led by Dave Littlefield dropped the ball...as usual.

Alderson is our best shot at a top end pitcher, being that he has just turned 21 and has played an entire year at AA.

Borski
03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm going to the game vs the Braves today

Go Buccos!

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
i saw Tony Sanchez hit a home run in his first at bat last night.

also saw the first two pitchers combined for 7 walks in the first four innings two nights ago

McCutchen is 2 for 2 with a SB and a Run scored. Saw him beat out a throw for a infield single in the first game against the Yankees. Looks like he is already close to being season ready

Borski
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Buccos taking on the Yankees today, scored 4 runs in the first against CC including a three run homer by Garret Jones.

Currently winning in the top of the 9th 8-7

Borski
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Pedro just hit an RBI single, 10 - 7 Buccos lead top of the 9th, 0 out

Borski
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Middle of the 9th

Pirates 12
Yankees 7

Edit, Pirates win, 12 - 7:tt02:

Borski
03-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Spring training: Dotel has ... pennant fever? (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10071/1042235-63.stm)
Even while rehabbing, new Pirates closer's enthusiasm easy to see
Friday, March 12, 2010
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/20100312pirates_500.jpg

Pirates closer Octavio Dotel makes his bullpen rehabilitation session Thursday at McKechnie Field. Pitcher Ross Ohlendorf and pitching coach Joe Kerrigan are among those watching.

BRADENTON, Fla. -- If anyone on the Pirates' 2010 roster is going to get dragged down by the franchise's miserable recent history, it surely will not be Octavio Dotel.

In the span of a half-hour Thursday morning ...

He pitched a spirited bullpen rehabilitation session, firings fastballs and kicking the rubber as if he were facing ... well, not a plastic dummy. When he threw one wildly inside, he shouted out, "I was trying to scare him!" And when he was done, he granted an interview to a Hispanic TV crew that he capped by crooning a song into the microphone.

"I'm having a great time," Dotel said shortly after that. "The players are great. The coaching staff. Everybody. I like what I see. When you see players who want to prove something, to show everybody, that's good."

Dotel is one of those in the proving category: He is 36 and aiming to show he is still capable of closing after two years as the Chicago White Sox's setup man.

But, in an interview Thursday, he seemed far more focused on the Pirates as a whole. And his daily enthusiasm carried over into the expectations he expressed.

"I hope it goes the way we're looking at it now," he said. "I think it's going to be something good for the city, for the fans and for everybody here to look forward to the Pirates being in the pennant race."

Pennant race?

It was mentioned to Dotel that Pittsburgh has not seen one of those since 1997 and, of course, has not seen a winner since 1992.

"Yes, I know what the history is here. But I think we're starting over. We're going to change how people on the outside think about this team. There's talent here. And I believe in the people at the top, too. That's what I see since I've been here. They're not looking to trade players. They're looking to keep players as long as they can, to win, to be in the pennant race. That's good. When you have that mentality and the bosses have that mentality to prove themselves, they're going to bring in anyone we need to go to the next level."

He paused, then repeated: "That's what I see since I've been here. I don't see the past. The mentality here is about winning. And it should be that way. This is a major league team. It should have been that way a long time ago."

Dotel's 35-pitch bullpen session -- including 10 offspeed pitches -- was his second while recovering from a strained left oblique. He will have another Saturday and a live batting practice Monday. After that, he will pitch an inning of a minor league game.

"I feel really good that I'll be ready," Dotel said of the opener. "But I don't want to push it."

steelerdude15
03-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm happy to see this. Too bad we lost today though. :doh:

Borski
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know when the first round of cuts are in Spring training? I Iooked around a bit but I couldn't find it.

Borski
03-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Pirates lose by hitting into a triple play in the 9th, sloppy baserunning

steelpride12
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Bucco's ahh I have loved these guys since my uncle got me into them when I was 6 win or lose. It has been tough, but every season they look promising and falter!

Borski
03-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Pirates beat CC and the Yanks again in a homer fest 10-5

HRs: Iwamura 1, Crosby 2 , Young 1, Pearce 1

pittsburghp8baller
03-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Pirates beat CC and the Yanks again in a homer fest 10-5

HRs: Iwamura 1, Crosby 2 , Young 1, Pearce 1

watched the game, impressive showing by the Pirates. Charlie Morton was lights out, one of the things they stressed in the broadcast booth (other than season ticket sales) was how all that is holding Morton back is confidence and the ability to bring together all his stuff. He by far has the best stuff on the staff, he just needs to put it together. Hopefully a start like this against the world champions will push him in the right direction. :blah:

and im happy to say that even though he has played over 100 games in the majors im still wowed at McCutchen's speed, stealing third without a throw is something not many can do

pittsburghp8baller
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know when the first round of cuts are in Spring training? I Iooked around a bit but I couldn't find it.

they cut there first few after the game yesterday, none surprises

G Hernandez, A Diaz, Brandon Jones, R Uviedo, Ramon Aguero and Brian Friday

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100314&content_id=8789094&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

pittsburghp8baller
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
just checked the box score for the Pirates game, have never seen a pitcher with control as bad as Kevin Hart. Four walks already in the first inning. I guess on the plus side of it, he struck out two and didnt give up any runs

Borski
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Alvarez, Tabata among Bucs' cuts (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100319&content_id=8838664&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)
Top prospects likely to make big league debuts in 2010
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

03/19/10 11:01 AM ET

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Pirates optioned top prospects Pedro Alvarez and Jose Tabata to Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday morning as part of eight cuts made by the organization.

Jonathan Van Every and Doug Bernier were reassigned to Minor League camp. Rehabbing pitchers Tyler Yates, Craig Hansen, Neal Cotts and Jimmy Barthmaier were also reassigned to the Minors, though those four will all begin the season on the disabled list.

Alvarez and Tabata arrived at camp unlikely to dent the Opening Day roster, but intent on proving that they are just about ready to make an impact in Pittsburgh. And even though management cites specific development goals for both, the two are projected to be in Pittsburgh sometime this season.

[continued] (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100319&content_id=8838664&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

Borski
03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Spring training: Russell pushes to 'break streak'
Pirates' manager shrugs off contract, says he is 'excited' for future
Sunday, March 21, 2010
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/20100321pirates_160.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Pirates manager John Russell has a 129-194 record with the club in two seasons.

SARASOTA, Fla. -- John Russell is entering his third season as the Pirates' manager, having overseen a 129-194 record, two last-place finishes, an extension of the franchise's losing streak to 17 seasons and more roster overhaul than any of his peers in Major League Baseball.

He answered questions about the upcoming season, his contract status, his even-keel demeanor and his goal for the current players to end the streak in an interview Friday with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Q: As manager, what has made this spring training different than your first two?

A: The biggest thing is knowing that this is the group we have. We're not in the talent-accumulation mode anymore. The guys we have in spring training are the guys we're going to be with all year. There could be injuries or small changes, but we're ready to move on. We have control of these players for a lot of years. We don't have to worry about trading Andrew McCutchen or Garrett Jones. We're past that. We get to build with this team.

I'm excited about that, and I think that's the biggest difference.

Q: I know your focus has to be on the present, but can you allow yourself to dream a bit when you see an elite prospect like Pedro Alvarez here? Or Jose Tabata? Do you think about the lineup you might be able to fill out someday?

A: I don't think it's a dream. It's reality. That's who we have, what we're excited about and what we've been building toward. It's not only those two, but Brad Lincoln, Gorkys Hernandez, Starling Marte ... it's not a matter of hoping we get some good prospects. They're here. And they're close. When these guys are ready, they're going to have a spot in Pittsburgh.

Q: The numbers would suggest offense should be a concern. Can this team hit?

A: Yeah, and I think we've shown some of that this spring. You don't want to get caught up in spring evaluations. But Cutch and Andy LaRoche and Lastings Milledge are swinging like they did last year, Jeff Clement's coming along and not chasing as much, Garrett Jones is a threat, Ryan Doumit is getting locked in, Aki Iwamura can add a dimension for us ... so, yeah, we'll hit.

The biggest thing is taking advantage of situations, and that's been our big goal down here. A runner at second has to get moved over, and you have to find a way to get him in. We're starting to see a little power surge with some of the guys coming up, which is a good thing for any organization, but those little things are going to be big for us now.

Q: Especially as it relates to McCutchen hitting leadoff or maybe dropping to No. 3, but also with Jones now at No. 3 and Doumit at cleanup, you'll still have to be flexible about your batting order well beyond opening day, won't you?

A: Absolutely. We're always going to look at the lineup and see how we can make it more efficient, score more runs. That's one of the things I like about this lineup, that we have guys we feel can move into different spots and help us come up with a 3-4-5-6 or a 2-3-4-5 that works.

Andrew is the type of player ... who knows where he's going to end up? Aki's another one. Maybe he's a quality three-hole hitter. Garrett could be cleanup.

We'll play around with it. We're going to look, in some cases, for the lineup that fits best just for a given night.

Q: You are entering the final guaranteed year of your contract. Is that on your mind?

A: No. I've never even thought about it. I can't. I have a job to do. The day you start worrying about your job is the day you're not going to have a job anymore.

We have great support from Bob Nutting, from Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington, and the players are on board with what we're doing.

I've always been a big believer that, if I do my job, that I don't need to worry about it.

Q: Given the experience that was traded away on your watch, is there a fair way to evaluate what kind of manager you are?

A: You know, it's been a challenge in a sense. But I believe in staying the course and trusting what you do, not only as a manager but also our whole staff. And that's what we tell our players: Trust the process.

We've got a good process in place. We've changed the culture. They know what we're about. They know we play hard baseball. And, when there are changes, you have to kind of start over again, so that is is a challenge.

But, all through the turnover and everything else we've been through, I've always maintained a belief in what we're doing and where we're going. That's rock solid. And that's never going to change.

Q: You're not the most animated manager in baseball, you don't come out to argue many calls with umpires, and you've never ripped first base out of the ground or anything like that. Some say it looks like you don't care. Is that an accurate portrayal?

A: Obviously not. People say I don't say anything, but we're talking in the dugout constantly. I have a good relationship with my players, and a big thing for me is to get to know them, about their personal lives and families. I think that's important.

As far as arguing, there's going to come a time. We're not the kicking boy anymore, and I'm not going to let us get pushed around. We're getting to that point now. I'm not going to let things go anymore because we're a young team. You pick your spots.

But to answer your question again, if people say that about me, then they don't know me. I'm passionate about the game, about my players, about the city, and about bringing winning baseball back.

I don't know how much more animated I'm going to be this year, but it's getting to the point where I'm feeling good about our club now. We're not going to be walked on.

Q: Can you imagine how Pittsburgh might react to winning baseball?

A: It will be phenomenal. The city has great fans, and I really saw a lot of that this with our Winter Caravan and PirateFest, the energy that's there for Pirates baseball.

I've told the players this: I would love nothing more than for this group to be the one that breaks the streak. For me, personally, I'm not going to love it until we make the playoffs and win a World Series. For the players, though, I think it would be great for them to be the ones identified with breaking the streak, and it's going to be fun when it happens. And beyond that, too.

People talk about all the talent the Rays and Twins have, and you start looking at our system ... it's going to happen. And it's going to happen more quickly than most people think. This is going to be a fun year.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10080/1044531-63.stm#ixzz0ipNmIpSZ

X-Terminator
03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Same crapola we heard last year.

Prove it on the diamond.

Borski
03-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Going to the game tomorrow. Lets Go Buccos!