02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Bruce Campbell

Height:6-7
Weight: 310
Position:OT
College: Maryland
http://nflmocks.com/files/2009/12/brucecampbell1.jpg

He bench presses 490 pounds
and he also ran a 4.82 forty yard dash, that is amazing considering his size. He is a little small for OT in terms of weight, but he can easily add it in the weight room. I would not mind if we took him with the 18th pick, i can easily see him protecting bens blindside

BKAnthem
02-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Hell Yes!!!

MasterOfPuppets
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
how is 310 lbs to small for a LT ? its actually the prototypical size... plus its not 310 lbs of blubber like a lot of tackles in the league, campbell is built like a brick shithouse. ..

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3741/38188915016a58ae31e8.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/38188915016a58ae31e8.jpg/)

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
i wouldnt be to upset if he was drafted maybe push starks a bit

Northside Jonny
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
If they are gonna take a tackle at 18 I think it should be Bulaga from Iowa. From what I've read on other some scouting sites taking Campbell at 18 would be a reach. But maybee he will show really well at the combine and be worth that 18 spot . He sure looks like an impressive specimen.

Dylan
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
how is 310 lbs to small for a LT ? its actually the prototypical size... plus its not 310 lbs of blubber like a lot of tackles in the league, campbell is built like a brick shithouse. ..

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3741/38188915016a58ae31e8.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/38188915016a58ae31e8.jpg/)

sorry i guess my choice of wording was poor, what i meant by that is that has a long, angular frame that easily hold 10-15 more pounds of bulk, imo: and with his work ethic and intensity i dont see that as a problem

Dylan
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
If they are gonna take a tackle at 18 I think it should be Bulaga from Iowa. From what I've read on other some scouting sites taking Campbell at 18 would be a reach. But maybee he will show really well at the combine and be worth that 18 spot . He sure looks like an impressive specimen.

campbell wouldnt be a reach, but like taylor mays he will get over hyped because of his combine stats...i would love to see campbell in the black n gold more than i would earl thomas, i should also point out that he is a bit raw, only started 18 games in college.

Chidi29
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
We don't need a tackle. I'd hate the pick if we take Bulaga, Campbell, Williams, etc.

supa_fly_steeler
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
We don't need a tackle. I'd hate the pick if we take Bulaga, Campbell, Williams, etc.

My thoughts...

Vincent
02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Why do we have Tony Hills? Same size. A little lighter.

We need NT, ILB, FS, and CB in any order of BAP.

We invested $$$s last year in the OL. Lets see what Sean Kugler can do with them before we spend high draft choices on areas that aren't critical need.

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2010, 09:16 PM
sadly i think at some point we are gona have to pick big uglies in the 1st and 2nd if the boss man wants to run it:noidea: but i agree id like to see what hills urbik & legursky can do

Vincent
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
sadly i think at some point we are gona have to pick big uglies in the 1st and 2nd if the boss man wants to run it:noidea: but i agree id like to see what hills urbik & legursky can do

We have enough big uglies to run the ball effectively. And I think that if Kugler is even a little bit better than z-tool, with another year together we can run the ball. We just weren't focused on it last year. I think what the Boss is saying is put a full back out there and pound the rock. We have the horses to do that.

We need to restock the middle of the D right now.

Steeldude
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Why do we have Tony Hills? Same size. A little lighter

i doubt he stays on the team after roster cuts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I love the posters on this board that dont want to select an OT, mostly because they like the "skill positions" better.

If you think surrounding Ben with an offensive line comprised of a bunch of late round draft picks is a good plan.......then you better not complain on mondays when he gets sacked 4-6 times. :banging:

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I love the posters on this board that dont want to select an OT, mostly because they like the "skill positions" better.

If you think surrounding Ben with an offensive line comprised of a bunch of late round draft picks is a good plan.......then you better not complain on mondays when he gets sacked 4-6 times. :banging:
no doubt ...and when mendenhall gets dropped for a loss on third and one...remember that you thought they didn't need linemen.
as for the "we just drafted urbik and hills crowd" , well they just drafted lewis and burnett as well... the difference is those guys were able to get a few gameday uni's, unlike urbik and hills.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
no doubt ...and when mendenhall gets dropped for a loss on third and one...remember that you thought they didn't need linemen.
as for the "we just drafted urbik and hills crowd" , well they just drafted lewis and burnett as well... the difference is those guys were able to get a few gameday uni's, unlike urbik and hills.

:rofl: So true.

I'm gonna really enjoy the combine drills with the O line. Bulaga to me is technically solid, but just doesnt look to move well enough to be a LT, but the mirror drill and drop and protect will show if I am just dreaming about that.

Campbell would likely be the top rated OT if he stayed in for another year. Kind of like how many were ranking Okung as a 2nd round pick if he came out as a junior, now he's a top 5 pick. I think Campbell could be a real value in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
:rofl: So true.

I'm gonna really enjoy the combine drills with the O line. Bulaga to me is technically solid, but just doesnt look to move well enough to be a LT, but the mirror drill and drop and protect will show if I am just dreaming about that.

Campbell would likely be the top rated OT if he stayed in for another year. Kind of like how many were ranking Okung as a 2nd round pick if he came out as a junior, now he's a top 5 pick. I think Campbell could be a real value in the draft.

well as i've predicted several times , after the combine he'll be in everyones top 10. jason smith was hardly on top 10 radar until after the combine. infact in november nobody even had him in the first round.

kirklandrules
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Vincent;771127 I think what the Boss is saying is put a full back out there and pound the rock. We have the horses to do that./QUOTE]

I totally agree with this statement. BA came in and said we don't need a stud FB and our ground game has been grounded. i don't have a problem with the number of rushing attempts, but putting a couple of TEs and HBs in the FB position and thinking they are going to give you Krieder blocking is a pipe dream.

supa_fly_steeler
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
AglSpWWkGbE

Ouch...

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
how exactly does a video of orakpo fit into a thread about bruce campbell ? :noidea:

Vincent
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
how exactly does a video of orakpo fit into a thread about bruce campbell ? :noidea:

I think he's trying to point out the need for a top LT. That clip was preseason against Tony Hills, who did stop him. Orakpo was talked up by the announcers but wasn't a factor in the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=AoFENfp.L1kYLF25se1O2yAisLYF?gid=200 90822028

Texasteel
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm still sticking with Earl Thomas as my 1st rounder, but if he is gone and Campbell, Bulaga, or Williams is there that would be my pick.

Steely McSmash
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=Vincent;771273]I think he's trying to point out the need for a top LT. That clip was preseason against Tony Hills, who did stop him. QUOTE]

Maybe "briefly occupied him" would be a better way of putting it. Looked more like a rabbit versus a Rottweiler to me.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Vincent;771273]I think he's trying to point out the need for a top LT. That clip was preseason against Tony Hills, who did stop him. QUOTE]

Maybe "briefly occupied him" would be a better way of putting it. Looked more like a rabbit versus a Rottweiler to me.
yup...hills ended up on the ground. obviously that was a quick throw to the right. had that been a deep drop, orakpo woulda been hounding ben

Galax Steeler
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm still sticking with Earl Thomas as my 1st rounder, but if he is gone and Campbell, Bulaga, or Williams is there that would be my pick.

Oh hell yea that is my thoughts as well.:tt04:

Chidi29
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
]I love the posters on this board that dont want to select an OT, mostly because they like the "skill positions" better.[/b]

Swing....and a miss.

Since when does offensive tackle mean the enitre line?

Starks got a 4 year, 20+ million deal and played good, albeit not great, last season and has shown steady improvement. Colon is our best lineman and doesn't get the credit that he deserves.

Now you want to throw another LT like Campbell into the mix? How is that going to play out? I know you weren't directing it specifically my way, but I've said that I'm fine with upgrading RG (A must IMO) and C (Should the opportunity arise).

It's not about getting caught up in flashy players. It's about realizing that when someone says we need offensive line help, it doesn't mean anywhere on the line. Cleveland needs a lot of help, but you won't see them going after a LT or C.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
if i had the oppurtunity to ask tomlin just one question, it would be ...has colon ,or have you ever considered trying colon at guard. ...but anyway, from what i've read, colons agent seems to think he's one of the top RT's in the league so who knows what it would cost to keep him beyond this year. starks only got 10 mill in guaranteed money so after this year they could get rid of him if it goes uncapped.

Chidi29
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Why get rid of Starks? He played well this year. Again, not great, but I think he made a lot of improvements. And the team has to like him to some extent otherwise they would have kept the tag on him if they weren't comfortable in locking him up long-temr.

That's still at least $5 million in dead money anyway.

Dylan
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Why get rid of Starks? He played well this year. Again, not great, but I think he made a lot of improvements. And the team has to like him to some extent otherwise they would have kept the tag on him if they weren't comfortable in locking him up long-temr.

when you say starks played well are you basing that off of this team or out of all the tasckles in the league.. we need a lineman in the first round...yea our line isnt as bad as everyone thinks but the fact is its not close to the top either...when you have a team like ours with major offensive weapons we need to get good lineman to make sure they utilize all our weapons

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 05:32 PM

they gave him the contract to free up 3 mill which they used to extend miller. the reason the steelers had to pay an average linemen like he was a top 5 guy was because they haven't tried to upgrade the line for several years. they painted themselves into a corner and gave starks the upper hand in negotiations. should they do the same with colon ?
steelers top 10 cap hits for 2010...( if there is a cap)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/top-10-steelers-salary-cap-hits-for-2010/

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Swing....and a miss.

Since when does offensive tackle mean the enitre line?

Starks got a 4 year, 20+ million deal and played good, albeit not great, last season and has shown steady improvement. Colon is our best lineman and doesn't get the credit that he deserves.

Now you want to throw another LT like Campbell into the mix? How is that going to play out? I know you weren't directing it specifically my way, but I've said that I'm fine with upgrading RG (A must IMO) and C (Should the opportunity arise).

It's not about getting caught up in flashy players. It's about realizing that when someone says we need offensive line help, it doesn't mean anywhere on the line. Cleveland needs a lot of help, but you won't see them going after a LT or C.

No, Cleveland spent a 1st round pick on Joe Thomas at LT and another in Alex Mack at C. Mack will be a pro bowler in 2 years and Thomas has already been one.

The Steelers have nobody on the O line playing at a pro bowl level. Max Starks is mediocre and Colon may be spending his final season in B&G and Essex is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers have young players on the interior line like Kemoeatu, Foster, Legursky, Urbik......so why draft a C or OG??

Drafting an OT like Campbell would allow the Steelers to plug him in at RT if Colon leaves in free agency, or he could even replace Starks at LT and let him move back to RT.

I believe you have "swung and missed" , young man.

mulldog24
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I for one believe in building an offense by starting in the trenches. If an elite O-line prospect falls to us in the 1st rd I say you take him. Our O-line is OK but it is not elite and we could use some top talent there.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
No, Cleveland spent a 1st round pick on Joe Thomas at LT and another in Alex Mack at C. Mack will be a pro bowler in 2 years and Thomas has already been one.

The Steelers have nobody on the O line playing at a pro bowl level. Max Starks is mediocre and Colon may be spending his final season in B&G and Essex is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers have young players on the interior line like Kemoeatu, Foster, Legursky, Urbik......so why draft a C or OG??

Drafting an OT like Campbell would allow the Steelers to plug him in at RT if Colon leaves in free agency, or he could even replace Starks at LT and let him move back to RT.

or drafting a real tackle could allow them to move colon to guard potentionally upgrading 2 positions...:thumbsup:

Chidi29
02-12-2010, 06:59 PM

I know Cleveland won't get a LT or a C.

Hence the part where I said, Cleveland needs a lot of help, but you won't see them going after a LT or C.

I don't think you even were facing the plate on that attempt.

I'd say Starks is better than mediocre and again, we have a lot of money invested in him that we're not going to just throw away. Colon was playing at a Pro Bowl level IMO and we have ample time to get a long-term deal done if we so choose, which I can't see why we wouldn't do so. Besides, Campbell is a LT. Not a RT.

Legursky seems like a hard worker and weight room warrior, but has limited experience. Urbik was a bad pick from the get-go. Getting the best RG possible, especially in pass blocking, would be huge. Foster, Stapleton, all those guys seem more like swingmen than bonafide starting material. Same with center; you can cut Hartwig and actually save money. If you find a player good enough, it makes sense from a financial and talent standpoint.

Starks was never even good at RT except for when we were a power running team, which we aren't anymore. Keep everyone where they're at. You're finally seeing improvement on this line. Why risk screwing that up now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
or drafting a real tackle could allow them to move colon to guard potentionally upgrading 2 positions...:thumbsup:

I know, we have been advocating that for a few years, but I dont think that is gonna happen. Colon has 4 years of RT under his belt, so no reason to think they push him inside now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I know Cleveland won't get a LT or a C.

Hence the part where I said, Cleveland needs a lot of help, but you won't see them going after a LT or C.

I don't think you even were facing the plate on that attempt.

I'd say Starks is better than mediocre and again, we have a lot of money invested in him that we're not going to just throw away. Colon was playing at a Pro Bowl level IMO and we have ample time to get a long-term deal done if we so choose, which I can't see why we wouldn't do so. Besides, Campbell is a LT. Not a RT.

Legursky seems like a hard worker and weight room warrior, but has limited experience. Urbik was a bad pick from the get-go. Getting the best RG possible, especially in pass blocking, would be huge. Foster, Stapleton, all those guys seem more like swingmen than bonafide starting material. Same with center; you can cut Hartwig and actually save money. If you find a player good enough, it makes sense from a financial and talent standpoint.

Starks was never even good at RT except for when we were a power running team, which we aren't anymore. Keep everyone where they're at. You're finally seeing improvement on this line. Why risk screwing that up now?

Do you really think that an OT is drafted to play LT vs RT??? Marvel Smith played RT before moving over to LT. So did Starks. Likewise Joe Thomas started on the Browns right side his rookie season and again Michael Oher started at RT this year too. If you have ever put your hand in the dirt and played offensive line, you will know that an OT with skills can play RT just as easy as LT.

As for thinking Urbik is a bust already. We will see. Many thought that of Mendenhall, Timmons and Kemoateu early on.

As for seeing improvement, I really dont know where you are seeing that. Steelers still gave up 50 sacks and had a run game ranked in the bottom of the league. Adding a young, strong, athletic OT that can pass protect better than Starks or Colon will improve this O line a ton.

I'm not saying its gonna happen, since its been needed for the past 4 seasons and has only been addressed with 2nd day draft picks and UDFA's like Legursky and Foster. Gotta start sometime.

GBMelBlount
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM

It's the EXACT same thing EVERY year El gonzo.

Our line sucks and it has for years. People don't realize it all starts in the trenches. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your offense is, if your line sucks you cannot consistently get it done.

We need a stud. Period.

Dylan
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
It's the EXACT same thing EVERY year El gonzo.

Our line sucks and it has for years. People don't realize it all starts in the trenches. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your offense is, if your line sucks you cannot consistently get it done.

We need a stud. Period.

exactly couldnt of said it better myself

Chidi29
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Do you really think that an OT is drafted to play LT vs RT??? Marvel Smith played RT before moving over to LT. So did Starks. Likewise Joe Thomas started on the Browns right side his rookie season and again Michael Oher started at RT this year too. If you have ever put your hand in the dirt and played offensive line, you will know that an OT with skills can play RT just as easy as LT.

As for thinking Urbik is a bust already. We will see. Many thought that of Mendenhall, Timmons and Kemoateu early on.

As for seeing improvement, I really dont know where you are seeing that. Steelers still gave up 50 sacks and had a run game ranked in the bottom of the league. Adding a young, strong, athletic OT that can pass protect better than Starks or Colon will improve this O line a ton.

I'm not saying its gonna happen, since its been needed for the past 4 seasons and has only been addressed with 2nd day draft picks and UDFA's like Legursky and Foster. Gotta start sometime.

Have you seen the scouting report on Campbell? He's got a big frame but is pretty light for a guy who is 6'7. He's got limited experience on the college level and has never played a down at RT.

And when are you going to play him at RT? Over Colon? I don't think so. Or are you going to hope that after tendering Colon this year, he plays terribly so you can justify starting Campbell two years from now? Sounds like a great plan.

There are far too many other positions of need/bigger importance than us trying to stockpile depth at tackle when we don't need it. Get a NT, get an ILB, get a FS is
Clark walks, get a RG, a DE, heck I'll take a CB any day over an OT (And I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking a CB in the first round). The list goes on and on.

I'm not basing my thought on Urbik being a bust after his rookie season. I didn't like the pick when we first made it. Thought he got by on just sheer power in college and he didn't use his feet well enough nor was he athletic enough overall to get by on power in the NFL.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft any offensive lineman. Let me repeat myself; go get a RG and possible a C. I'm fine with that, I want us to get an excellent RG. I've touted Jon Asamoah for awhile now and would love to get him in the second. And I would have loved ig Rodney Hudson from FSU would have come out this year. I'm fairly down on the idea of taking Iupati because I don't believe in taking a guard that high, but I think I would have made an excpetion for Hudson. He may be the best guard to come out in a long time.

But to say we should start moving pieces that have either played very well or ones that have played well and are getting paid a lot because of looking at general numbers is a terrible approach.

As I recall, Mendenhall averaged over 5 yards last season. Not too shabby, no?

tony hipchest
02-13-2010, 12:21 AM
the steelers won a superbowl and then either lost or cut starters faneca, smith, hartings, simmons (and benched starks) regardless of pro-bowls, injuries, expensive new contracts, retirement, or round they were drafted in.

they still won the sb again w/in 3 years. with that being said, i dont think any lineman's job we got at this point is cemented in stone.

if there is a blue chipper available, we probably need to jump on it. we got blue chip, stallwart starters at just about every position other than on the OL or at CB.

anyone who doesnt take 2 1/2 years to develop into a starter and beat the incumbent is a great move at this point.

im more than happy to see colon go if we get an equal calibur player (who can possibly be the future LT) and save $4 mil/season to help address woodley and holmes.

Texasteel
02-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Good LTs are very hard to find, that is why they almost never make it out of the 1st round. That also why they get paid so much, and why we had to over pay Starks. You don't draft a OT to play on the left side next year, unless you are in extremely back shape on that side, or the guy is some unbelievably good. He will almost always play on the right side for a year or two the switch to the left. I also am of the opinion that our OL is not that good at all and is in fact a major need this year, but I have been saying that for 3 years now. A great line will make a good RB look great, and given the time even a poor QB can find someone open. I also am of the opinion that Colon would play much better on the inside, but that may be a pipe dream now.

I am still hoping and praying for Thomas in the 1st, but if that fails, I would like to see up end up with one of the 3 OTs that may be there when we pick. My 3rd choice would the the NT. If we don't, or can't go in any of these directions I would like to see them trade down. If you don't agree with me, don't worry, management hasn't agreed with me for the past 3 year either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Have you seen the scouting report on Campbell? He's got a big frame but is pretty light for a guy who is 6'7. He's got limited experience on the college level and has never played a down at RT.

And when are you going to play him at RT? Over Colon? I don't think so. Or are you going to hope that after tendering Colon this year, he plays terribly so you can justify starting Campbell two years from now? Sounds like a great plan.

There are far too many other positions of need/bigger importance than us trying to stockpile depth at tackle when we don't need it. Get a NT, get an ILB, get a FS is
Clark walks, get a RG, a DE, heck I'll take a CB any day over an OT (And I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking a CB in the first round). The list goes on and on.

I'm not basing my thought on Urbik being a bust after his rookie season. I didn't like the pick when we first made it. Thought he got by on just sheer power in college and he didn't use his feet well enough nor was he athletic enough overall to get by on power in the NFL.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft any offensive lineman. Let me repeat myself; go get a RG and possible a C. I'm fine with that, I want us to get an excellent RG. I've touted Jon Asamoah for awhile now and would love to get him in the second. And I would have loved ig Rodney Hudson from FSU would have come out this year. I'm fairly down on the idea of taking Iupati because I don't believe in taking a guard that high, but I think I would have made an excpetion for Hudson. He may be the best guard to come out in a long time.

But to say we should start moving pieces that have either played very well or ones that have played well and are getting paid a lot because of looking at general numbers is a terrible approach.

As I recall, Mendenhall averaged over 5 yards last season. Not too shabby, no?

Yes, I have seen the reports on Campbell. He was likely going to be the top OT prospect in 2011 by most accounts. So it would have been like drafting Okung last year if he came out at #32. Now the kid is top 5.

Rookie O linemen rarely ever play for the Steelers unless of injury. So, if they drafted an OT (Bulaga, Williams, Campbell) that could play LT....he probably gets a year on the team before playing. That OT could be there in 2011 to play RT, if Colon leaves via free agency. Then in 2012, Max Starks would be in his final season under contract and you would have a OT starting his 3rd NFL season, who can be the heir to Ben's blindside.

Its all about succession planning, just like Mendenhall will now take the #1 job from Parker in his 3rd season, so to could a LT if drafted this year.

Your logic seems to indicate that we should draft an RG and C, despite adding 2 RG's and a C last year in Urbik, Foster and Legursky. Why not just draft another DE in the 1st round???

We will wait on the Urbik pick. He impressed in his 4 years at Wisconsin. Impressed at the Senior Bowl and handled Ziggy Hood in 1 on 1 drills at Senior Bowl practice. Call him a bust if you want......I just think its extremely early for that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Good LTs are very hard to find, that is why they almost never make it out of the 1st round. That also why they get paid so much, and why we had to over pay Starks. You don't draft a OT to play on the left side next year, unless you are in extremely back shape on that side, or the guy is some unbelievably good. He will almost always play on the right side for a year or two the switch to the left. I also am of the opinion that our OL is not that good at all and is in fact a major need this year, but I have been saying that for 3 years now. A great line will make a good RB look great, and given the time even a poor QB can find someone open. I also am of the opinion that Colon would play much better on the inside, but that may be a pipe dream now.

I am still hoping and praying for Thomas in the 1st, but if that fails, I would like to see up end up with one of the 3 OTs that may be there when we pick. My 3rd choice would the the NT. If we don't, or can't go in any of these directions I would like to see them trade down. If you don't agree with me, don't worry, management hasn't agreed with me for the past 3 year either.

Tex, I completely agree. If we drafted a guy that can play LT, it means that he would get a year on scholarship and then either work in at RT if Colon leaves or works in to be the heir at LT if Colon is retained.

I think a lot of people forget that we have only Tony Hills at OT depth, with Colon and Essex in the final year of their respective contracts. Given that the Steelers like to build their own talent from within, I think it makes sense that they would draft an OT prospect in the first 3 rounds.

Just imagine after next season, if we cant sign Colon and Hills doesnt progress. :doh: That leaves only Starks under contract and Essex and free agent.

B-Train3686
02-13-2010, 02:58 PM
we definetly need a tackle that is quick and strong. Most of Ben's sacks come off of that left side because MS has really slow feet. I dont understand how these big guys at 6 ft 8in and 340 like MS can get the job done against some D-ends in the league. You need somebody athletic and quick. Bruce would be an excellent choice or Bulaga from Iowa as well. Im sick of Max Starks...the guy is pathetic

7willBheaven
02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Just my thoughts on this....I say it depends who all is available at 18. If there is a stud OT there and not much else i wouldnt be against taking them...some of you have said yeah we have all these guys and need other positions...but you gotta look at the big picture. Who knows what will happen with Colon...same with Essex (who can play OT also)....Hills..i dont know about him, i've seen good things and bad, who knows. I think we are good at G right now...locking up Kemo and having drafted Urbik (unlike some i'm not going to say he was a wasted pick until he proves otherwise)...C...if they do not think Legursky is our next center then that is going to be a big need also this year or next..Legursky can play G also...so another reason i do not think a G is needed (along with Foster playing G also). Just because we was to draft an OT this year doesnt mean its gonna mess with the line or anything right away...he could easily sit out as most first year players do and then start a year or 2 from now.

I like most of you think S (and even NT) is a big need...but again if nobody worth it is there...there should be a number of good S there in the 2nd (i've heard good things about Nate Allen/etc)...same thing with NT I've heard great things about Cam Thomas...who could be there in the 2nd/3rd round. The thing about OT's compared to most positions...a lot of times you dont always find stud OTs in the later rounds (sometimes you do get lucky though)...but still compared to other positions you dont. On top of that...we usually dont pick this high in the draft and most OTs are gone by the time we pick...the closest was last year with Oher being picked at like 24/25th.

So if a stud OT is there (and not too many other good choices)...i have no problem selecting them and getting a good S/NT in the 2nd/3rd.

MasterOfPuppets
02-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes, I have seen the reports on Campbell. He was likely going to be the top OT prospect in 2011 by most accounts. So it would have been like drafting Okung last year if he came out at #32. Now the kid is top 5.

Rookie O linemen rarely ever play for the Steelers unless of injury. So, if they drafted an OT (Bulaga, Williams, Campbell) that could play LT....he probably gets a year on the team before playing. That OT could be there in 2011 to play RT, if Colon leaves via free agency. Then in 2012, Max Starks would be in his final season under contract and you would have a OT starting his 3rd NFL season, who can be the heir to Ben's blindside.

Its all about succession planning, just like Mendenhall will now take the #1 job from Parker in his 3rd season, so to could a LT if drafted this year.

Your logic seems to indicate that we should draft an RG and C, despite adding 2 RG's and a C last year in Urbik, Foster and Legursky. Why not just draft another DE in the 1st round???

We will wait on the Urbik pick. He impressed in his 4 years at Wisconsin. Impressed at the Senior Bowl and handled Ziggy Hood in 1 on 1 drills at Senior Bowl practice. Call him a bust if you want......I just think its extremely early for that.
gonzo would you please stop making sence ? :doh: ...everybody knows that the proper way to draft is to wait till the guy in the position in question is on the last year of his contract BEFORE you even consider drafting his successor. then with any luck nobody worth a shit will be on the board at your pick every time its your turn. then your take the best player on the scrap heap in the 5th or 6 th rd at that position and hope like hell he at least turns out to be average in 2 or 3 years. in the mean time you pay your already average player like he's a top 5 talent for a year, then give mr average a 4 year deal so you can free up cap space to sign the guys that are above average .....:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2010, 04:59 PM
gonzo would you please stop making sence ? :doh: ...everybody knows that the proper way to draft is to wait till the guy in the position in question is on the last year of his contract BEFORE you even consider drafting his successor. then with any luck nobody worth a shit will be on the board at your pick every time its your turn. then your take the best player on the scrap heap in the 5th or 6 th rd at that position and hope like hell he at least turns out to be average in 2 or 3 years. in the mean time you pay your already average player like he's a top 5 talent for a year, then give mr average a 4 year deal so you can free up cap space to sign the guys that are above average .....:thumbsup:

Sorry, I will stop making sense and instead defer to those who have only "read the reports on Campbell" :blah:and not watched him play on TV.

But, for those who like reports .......I believe that Todd McShay has Bruce Campbell ranked as the #20 draft prospect and 1st round talent. But, what the heck does he know???? Not like McShay evaluates talent for a living...............oh wait. :wink:

Texasteel
02-13-2010, 05:49 PM

And that is a perfectly mapped out plan for a very good O-line. Which some dummies like me think is the most important part of an offense. Flashy or not.

Dylan
02-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Sorry, I will stop making sense and instead defer to those who have only "read the reports on Campbell" :blah:and not watched him play on TV.

But, for those who like reports .......I believe that Todd McShay has Bruce Campbell ranked as the #20 draft prospect and 1st round talent. But, what the heck does he know???? Not like McShay evaluates talent for a living...............oh wait. :wink:

actually mcshay has campbell as the 12th best prospect as of now

Chidi29
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
they gave him the contract to free up 3 mill which they used to extend miller. the reason the steelers had to pay an average linemen like he was a top 5 guy was because they haven't tried to upgrade the line for several years. they painted themselves into a corner and gave starks the upper hand in negotiations. should they do the same with colon ?
steelers top 10 cap hits for 2010...( if there is a cap)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/top-10-steelers-salary-cap-hits-for-2010/

I care not the reason why he got the deal. The point is that he got the deal and he certainly isn't going to be benched with a contract that big.

Colon is a borderline great RT...we're in a great situation with him. If it's me, I give him a 1st/3rd tender, make sure he can play at a high level two years in a row, and if he does, write a blank check.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
actually mcshay has campbell as the 12th best prospect as of now

Thanks for the update. But, he couldnt have Campbell ranked ahead of Earl Thomas.......does he????

I guess McShay hasnt read the scouting report that Campbell is 6'7", but pretty light for his frame and isnt that experienced. :toofunny:

Dylan
02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the update. But, he couldnt have Campbell ranked ahead of Earl Thomas.......does he????

I guess McShay hasnt read the scouting report that Campbell is 6'7", but pretty light for his frame and isnt that experienced. :toofunny:

i honestly cant answer that all i know is i watched a draft thing that said mcshay had campbell as his 12 rated prospect, unfortunately i cant give you a source to verify my finding

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 01:09 AM

Kendall Simmons, the last lineman we've taken in the first round, started 14 games for us. That wasn't because of injury, correct? And guys like Faneca and Leon Stearcy each started the next year after they were drafted.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Colon leaves, that likely means that he played his way OUT of a big contract. I'm not rooting for him to fail. Nor do I want to keep my 1st round pick on the bench for three years. Even though we're known for letting our rookies sit back and develop, I don't want to wait that long.

Foster, Legursky, and Urbik aren't strong options for me. More swingmen or plain bad players. I'm not going to let a mid-round pick and two UDFAs deter me from taking a potentially great RG or C if I have the chance to do so.

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 01:11 AM
And that is a perfectly mapped out plan for a very good O-line. Which some dummies like me think is the most important part of an offense. Flashy or not.

Lookie there, another person assuming I've said that the line is fine.

Lookie there, another person who'd be wrong.

7willBheaven
02-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Dude he wasnt even commenting on your post...he was agreeing with/commenting on something El Gonzo said...relax. Just because the majority of us here do not agree with you...you dont need to get all defensive and keep arguing about things...relax...have fun...enjoy the posts/etc.

Aussie_steeler
02-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Foster, Legursky, and Urbik aren't strong options for me. More swingmen or plain bad players. I'm not going to let a mid-round pick and two UDFAs deter me from taking a potentially great RG or C if I have the chance to do so.

Now I see where you are leaning.

I think you are looking at a trade down scenario to score something like this

#2a - Maurkice Pouncey ( 33 - 38)
#2b - Myron Rolle / Nate Allen / Morgan Burnett ( 50 - 55)
#2c / 3a - John Asamoah ( 60 - 68)

Who could we target to trade with to get a draft like that pan out? My guess is Tampa Bay are the only option as they have 2 picks in the top ten of round 2. They could afford to trade up into the first giving away a 2nd and a 3rd.

How does that sound?

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Dude he wasnt even commenting on your post...he was agreeing with/commenting on something El Gonzo said...relax. Just because the majority of us here do not agree with you...you dont need to get all defensive and keep arguing about things...relax...have fun...enjoy the posts/etc.

I just want my intentions of what to do with the line to be clear. It still seems like not everyone is understanding my point. That comment was clearly shot towards my direction with the sarcastic "dummies like me" line, even if the OP didn't outright say it.

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Now I see where you are leaning.

I think you are looking at a trade down scenario to score something like this

#2a - Maurkice Pouncey ( 33 - 38)
#2b - Myron Rolle / Nate Allen / Morgan Burnett ( 50 - 55)
#2c / 3a - John Asamoah ( 60 - 68)

Who could we target to trade with to get a draft like that pan out? My guess is Tampa Bay are the only option as they have 2 picks in the top ten of round 2. They could afford to trade up into the first giving away a 2nd and a 3rd.

How does that sound?

While I don't have specific evaulations on anyone but Asamoah, I'd be fine with getting Pouncey. FS gets a little more dicey with the Clark situation, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with us getting Allen or Burnett. I'm on the fence as to whether or not Rolle could play FS in the NFL.

Aussie_steeler
02-14-2010, 03:30 AM
While I don't have specific evaulations on anyone but Asamoah, I'd be fine with getting Pouncey. FS gets a little more dicey with the Clark situation, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with us getting Allen or Burnett. I'm on the fence as to whether or not Rolle could play FS in the NFL.

I think Rolle is a SS who can run and cover. He could well be an 85% version of Troy.

I have been calling for a center the last two drafts early on . Yes I was on the Mack wagon. Pouncey is every bit as good as those prospects I have pimped, maybe even better. I am just gunshy now about pimping a center. It will happen.... one day.

Asamoah looks to be the best RG candidate out there, as Iupati seems to be a pulling LG.

The O line can get better this draft. We are all just worried it might be more of the same story from the last 3-4 drafts.

Steeldude
02-14-2010, 03:48 AM

because his dad was a piano mover. :sofunny: :toofunny:

just a little "ground hog day" movie humor. doesn't really apply that well, but it made me smile.

Texasteel
02-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Lookie there, another person that thinks this thread is all about them. It's not, it's about a OT that I think would be a very good pick. If he is available. These are my thoughts on the subject, which like it or not, is just as valid as yours.

Texasteel
02-14-2010, 06:40 AM
I just want my intentions of what to do with the line to be clear. It still seems like not everyone is understanding my point. That comment was clearly shot towards my direction with the sarcastic "dummies like me" line, even if the OP didn't outright say it.

There are several people that oppose taking an O-lineman. I am only supposing that you have read a few yourself. When I have something to say to you, I will say it to you, but will try to be more respectful than you have been.

7willBheaven
02-14-2010, 02:01 PM

I think everyone knows that you want us to get a great RG and a C and so on...you've said it enough times we get the point, just because we dont agree with you does not mean you need to keep saying it and get nasty with everyone...thats just ridiculous, act like an adult, not some 12 year old.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Kendall Simmons, the last lineman we've taken in the first round, started 14 games for us. That wasn't because of injury, correct? And guys like Faneca and Leon Stearcy each started the next year after they were drafted.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Colon leaves, that likely means that he played his way OUT of a big contract. I'm not rooting for him to fail. Nor do I want to keep my 1st round pick on the bench for three years. Even though we're known for letting our rookies sit back and develop, I don't want to wait that long.

Kendall Simmons started in his rookie year because starting guard Rich Tylski had a season ending injury.

If Colon leaves, its likely because somebody else is willing to pay more for his services than the Steelers will. See John Jackson, Leon Searcy, Alan Faneca, Wayne Gandy, etc.....for similar situation.

You want to get a potentially great Guard or C in the 2nd..........yet you dispell the notion of drafting a blue chip OT in this thread because of "reports you have read"??? Nice work. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I think everyone knows that you want us to get a great RG and a C and so on...you've said it enough times we get the point, just because we dont agree with you does not mean you need to keep saying it and get nasty with everyone...thats just ridiculous, act like an adult, not some 12 year old.

Chill out 7willBheaven.......12 year old is a bit harsh. I'm guessing 18. That would explain not knowing that Kendall Simmons didnt start his rookie year based only on merit, but rather injury.

To end my thoughts on this. I am not particularly in the Bruce Campbell corner, but think the kid could be a special OT in this league. If there is a top LT prospect at #18 or a top CB prospect, I have no problem if the Steelers pull the trigger on them. Both are important positions in the NFL and could improve the Steelers greatly.

MasterOfPuppets
02-14-2010, 03:01 PM
this is all a moot point anyway cause campbell won't be around at 18 .... if campbell played for a high profile program like USC he'd already be in everyones top 10 . my guess is the only tackle that will be available at 18 will be trent williams.

Texasteel
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
this is all a moot point anyway cause campbell won't be around at 18 .... if campbell played for a high profile program like USC he'd already be in everyones top 10 . my guess is the only tackle that will be available at 18 will be trent williams.

I have seen several mocks that have us taking Williams, so you may not be the only one thinking this way.

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 07:53 PM

If you don't agree with me, fine, but don't act like I or the group who is against drafting an OT, are people who are too dumb to realize the importance of a good offensive line. As if that was our only reason; "oohing" and "ahhing" at the flashy WR or RB.

Being nasty? Acting like I'm 12? Come on....that's laying it on a bit thick don't you think?

Having said that, I did come off too harshly at Texas' comments. For that, I offer my apologies to TexasSteel. Jerk move on my part.

Aussie_steeler
02-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Having said that, I did come off too harshly at Texas' comments. For that, I offer my apologies to TexasSteel.

:thumbsup:

We are all here for the right reason.
We are all passionate at times for the guys we pimp

But ultimately we are all passionate in our belief that the steelers War room will finally listen to us and go with the picks we suggest. I just hope that one day they listen to one of us.

We havent (collectively all of us here) been to good pimping the Ziggy and Mendenhall picks of late. Hopefully between us all sharing our pimps over FS, CB, OT, OG and NT we might do a better job this year.

However I would love for us all to be wrong and land the Premier ILB.

Texasteel
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
If you don't agree with me, fine, but don't act like I or the group who is against drafting an OT, are people who are too dumb to realize the importance of a good offensive line. As if that was our only reason; "oohing" and "ahhing" at the flashy WR or RB.

Being nasty? Acting like I'm 12? Come on....that's laying it on a bit thick don't you think?

Having said that, I did come off too harshly at Texas' comments. For that, I offer my apologies to TexasSteel. Jerk move on my part.

And I apologies for firing back at you.

Actually, my hope has been, since the end of the season, and still is that Earl Thomas is still there when we pick. It would take me about 2 minutes to make that pick.

If that doesn't happen I do want one of the OTs if one of the top 5 are still there and 1 maybe even 2 should be, My favorite of the bunch is Davis, but I have a feeling that the one left will be Williams.

That failing I think I would take the NT Williams. I do think that is a little early for him, sorry LLT, but just the letters NT seems to move players up about 5 spots.

If none of that happens I think I would like to trade down and look for a LB or possibly CB. I'm wondering if we do take a CB if Lewis could move to safety, but someone else will have to answer that question.