PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson: All-Purpose performer

mesaSteeler
02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
(Perhaps a late round flyer for the Steelers? - mesa)
Dickerson: All-Purpose performer
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/february/09/dickerson-all-purpose-performer.html

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Tuesday February 9, 2010 11:12 PM

As Dorin Dickerson readies himself for professional football, the biggest question mark regarding his NFL future may actually be his most important asset.

“That’s what makes Dorin so unique,” said Andy Simms, Dickerson’s agent.

Dickerson, the former West Allegheny High School star, is unique because he doesn’t have a true position right now.

When Dickerson played at Pitt, his exceptional athleticism allowed him to play three positions — wide receiver as a freshman, linebacker as a sophomore and tight end the past two years.

As a pro, he could play wide receiver, tight end or fullback, or a combination of the three.

With the way the NFL has evolved into a passing league in recent years, Dickerson could be an intriguing find for teams looking for unique ways to exploit a defense.

“He’s an extremely exciting pro prospect,” Simms said. “He’s a great kid, an intelligent kid who works hard. He runs well. He can catch the football. He’s strong. And he has the mental make-up to be great.”

Dickerson, who caught 49 passes, including 10 for touchdowns as a Pitt senior, got a chance to display his skills two weeks ago in the annual Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. He was chosen to play in what is considered the most important of the postseason all-star games.

The Senior Bowl is the game that showcases the NFL’s top draft prospects. The week-long practices are run by NFL coaching staffs. Every team has its lead scouts there.

And this year when the scouts watched Dickerson, they saw him strictly at wide receiver. He was one of the North’s six wideouts. That meant he practiced exclusively against some of the most highly regarded cornerbacks in college football last season.
Advertisement

“We recognize that Dorin playing wide receiver against those cornerbacks may have been risky, but he took advantage of it,” Simms said. “He got better and better as the week went on.”

In the Senior Bowl, a 31-13 North win, Dickerson caught one pass for 7 yards. But North quarterbacks only completed 12 passes. The only North receiver with multiple catches was Cincinnati’s Mardy Gilyard.

“Overall, I thought I did well,” said Dickerson, who was measured in Mobile at 6-foot-1 and 222 pounds, slightly smaller than he was listed at Pitt (6-2, 230).

“Playing wide receiver was different. I struggled with a few things early in the week. But I think I got getter as the week went on. I also got to play a lot on special teams.”

Next up for Dickerson is the NFL Combine Feb. 24-March 2 in Indianapolis. As many as 335 draft-eligible prospects will be there for a comprehensive physical and mental elevation process. Dickerson is listed as one of 18 tight ends who’ve been invited so far.

“I was fortunate to get invited to the Senior Bowl and I’m obviously happy about going to the combine,” said Dickerson, who can run the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds, which makes him one of the fastest tight ends at the combine.

“For me, I’m looking at it as a second job interview.”

Dickerson will have another job interview on March 16 at Pitt’s pro-day workout at the indoor field at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

Then the NFL Draft will be held April 22-24.

At this time, Dickerson projects as a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick. But at the combine, he’ll get a chance to improve his value.

MasterOfPuppets
02-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Dickerson, who can run the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds, which makes him one of the fastest tight ends at the combine. if he was 252 lbs that might be ok, but at at 222 lbs thats not only unimpressive, but just flat out bad .

Steely McSmash
02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Heath ran a 4.79 at 6-5 256. This time compares better perhaps to say Austin Collie at 4.62. Of course this makes sense since Collie is only 6-0 200 -- much closer to Dickerson's size.

Getting open as a receiver isn't about speed for the most part. I think Dickerson is too undersized to be a TE or a FB, which is why he played WR at the Senior Bowl.

It'd be nice if the article cited somebody besides they guy's agent.

jonslow
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I was really unimpressed with him during Senior Bowl week. He had one good day (when Mike Tomlin was on the sidelines giving him some tips) but he just doesn't have the speed to play receiver or the size to be an adequate tight end or fullback. During the Senior Bowl game, Dan LeFevour (who is not known to have a huge arm) laid a perfect 40-yard go to the left corner of the endzone. Dickerson was at least 5 yards from being anywhere close to the ball.

I don't want to base my opinion on one week or one game, but I don't even feel he was Pitt's best tight end this year. Sure, he caught 10 TDs, but we all know college success doesn't always translate to the NFL, especially for guys who are basically position-less based on size, speed, etc.

He'd be alright as a late round flyer just based on upside, but my money is on Dickerson being a career backup.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Heath ran a 4.79 at 6-5 256. This time compares better perhaps to say Austin Collie at 4.62. Of course this makes sense since Collie is only 6-0 200 -- much closer to Dickerson's size.

Getting open as a receiver isn't about speed for the most part. I think Dickerson is too undersized to be a TE or a FB, which is why he played WR at the Senior Bowl.

It'd be nice if the article cited somebody besides they guy's agent.

It was a 40 time that is unacceptable to Collie. He knows he's faster than the clock showed. And true, hand-held 40 times can vary as much as half a second and are not considered all that accurate.

Still, it bugs Collie. "I'm a low-4.5 guy."

Really?

"We always kind of make fun of him because he didn't run the 40 time he wanted to run," said BYU quarterback Max Hall.

How fast is Austin Collie?

Well, that's something of a joke among his teammates for the past six months because on the field, when geared up from head to toe, Collie is blazing quick.

He runs precision routes with little or no wasted motion.

He explodes off the line and can get deep and open in defensive secondaries.

He's as good a hawk as any receiver BYU has ever had with the ball in the air.

And he's closing in on passing many of the legendary names in the school's record book.

But there was a day this past June, when Collie wore nothing but shorts, a flimsy shirt and shoes and socks, that he ran the 40-yard dash in something more than 4.6 seconds — a mark considered a bit slow or average.

It was a 40 time that is unacceptable to Collie. He knows he's faster than the clock showed. And true, hand-held 40 times can vary as much as half a second and are not considered all that accurate.

Still, it bugs Collie. "I'm a low-4.5 guy."

Really?

"We always kind of make fun of him because he didn't run the 40 time he wanted to run," said BYU quarterback Max Hall.

Story continues below
"He feels like he's a 4.4 guy; he's Austin. But he runs just as fast as a 4.4 guy with pads on when on the field, and that's what makes him special. He's tough, he's big, he's strong, and then when he gets his pads on, he doesn't change or slow down. If anything, he might get faster because he's in game mode."

And that's called football speed, something Collie definitely possesses.

"I'm not a 4.6 guy," said Collie. "It was just one day. It all depends. I can run in the low 4.5s. I know I didn't test that. At the time, I was weighing 209 to 210, and now I'm 197. That's a huge difference."
:chuckle:

Steely McSmash
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
.... but we all know college success doesn't always translate to the NFL, especially for guys who are basically position-less based on size, speed, etc.

He'd be alright as a late round flyer just based on upside, but my money is on Dickerson being a career backup.

Thinking about this today, after your comments it seems like maybe he'd make a good third down back. Decent toughness for blocking, good hands, elite speed is probably not an issue just to move the chains.

taztroy43
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I would love Dickerson in the later rounds 5-7th....He can probably mold into a Hines Ward type receiver.....