PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Highlights

Hawk Believer
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
First, let me establish that I am not fishing for some civic bashing pissing match with this thread. Otherwise I'd post it in the Blast Furnace.

I admit I know very little about Pittsburgh. I am honestly curious to know more about the place.

So the question is... If some buddies of yours were coming to town, what would you be most proud of to show him or her? Where would you bring them for a good time?

SteelerDan43
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Got to go to Pirmanti's.... Absolute must

BlackNGold203
02-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Golden Triangle...Mount washington...The Strip...Station Square.....

Anytime I bring someone to town..I take them through the Ft. Pitt tunnel...and BOOM..the city appears in front of you...its stunning

Oh,,,Heinz Field and PNC Park...:)

Hawk Believer
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM

Anytime I bring someone to town..I take them through the Ft. Pitt tunnel...and BOOM..the city appears in front of you...its stunning

How far is to Mt Washington? I climb a little and would definately try to go there. I hear it is kinda wierd because you can drive to the top. But conditions can go way bad really quickly and sometimes day hikers get get frozen jsut a little ways from the parking lot. But maybe thats an exageration.

BlackNGold203
02-02-2006, 10:06 PM
How far is to Mt Washington? I climb a little and would definately try to go there. I hear it is kinda wierd because you can drive to the top. But conditions can go way bad really quickly and sometimes day hikers get get frozen jsut a little ways from the parking lot. But maybe thats an exageration.

LOL..."Mount Washington" is a very steep hillside over looking the Golden triangle...its a great view of the city..with some great restaurants...its not a real mountain

Hawk Believer
02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
LOL..."Mount Washington" is a very steep hillside over looking the Golden triangle...its a great view of the city..with some great restaurants...its not a real mountain
Ohh. :dang: Guess thats not the same one I had read about. I told you I was ignorant about your home...

Prosdo
02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Heinz Field and PNC Park. Both are beautiful places.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Definately both of those stadiums..take them to the strip district for every type of entertainment known to man, art museum in down town Pittsburgh is nice too.

Primanti Bros, Peppy's are good too. Station square is a great time. Go to the lookout around Mt Washington, its a breathtaking sight at dusk.

SteelerDan43
02-02-2006, 10:44 PM
there is the western pa sports museum also right beside the convention center

tony hipchest
02-03-2006, 12:36 AM
i dont live in pittsburgh but it is my favorite vacation destination. carnegie museum (absolute must especially when it was free) and in several hours you can ride the incline up to mt. washington, and take a gateway clipper tour up the allegheny or down the ohio. the strip district is really cool, (lots of bars) right across the river from the stadiums, although the 1st time i went i was dodging bulletts and saw 2 people die (no joke-outside of bananna joes). kennywood is a nice little amusement park with the fastest wooden coaster in the world- the thunderbolt. swim in the fountain and swing on a rope hanging off of bridge is always cool. things to eat:

cod sandwich at wholeys (fish market downtown)
primantis (sandwiches with the slaw and fries on them)
bidos pizza (toppings are uncooked)
originals hotdogs (pittsburghs "nathans" in the u of pitt district)
and before it closed "frankies" polish sausage or meatball sandwich. people knew you were there just by smelling you
churchworks. (old church converted to a restaurant/microbrewery- very cool)

i also like to walk through the allegheny cemetary (one of the largest in the nation)

Hawk Believer
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
What's in the Carnegie Museum?

tony hipchest
02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
What's in the Carnegie Museum? tons of greek and roman sculptures. killer dinosaur display (i think the largest complete brontosaurus of which casts are on display in some of the finest museums in the world). priceless works of art by renoir, van gogh, picasso etc. a great egyptian display complete with a few mummies. the place is huge, and andrew carnegie pretty much gave all his collection to the city of pittsburgh. for the longest time it was free and as a pittsburgher you felt like it was all yours. infact it was everyones. if youve seen the movie flashdance there is parts of the museum in it.

if youre into museums this one is definitely worth the price of admission.

its right across the 40 story university of pittsburgh which is a beautiful building almost looks like a giant cathederal. im not sure but it might have been the tallest building until the empire state building was built.

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Ohh. :dang: Guess thats not the same one I had read about. I told you I was ignorant about your home...Your thinking of Mt. Washington in N.H.

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
PNC park is something at night...I have a stunning picture of Heinz I took after a preseason game a couple years ago...I'll post it if I can find it.

luvmysteelers
02-04-2006, 03:40 PM
www.pittsburghskyline.com has some great pics.

Primantis, the Strip, Station Square, a ride on the incline, the stadiums.

What about your city, what would you show any of us if we were coming to visit?

Hawk Believer
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
www.pittsburghskyline.com has some great pics.

Primantis, the Strip, Station Square, a ride on the incline, the stadiums.

What about your city, what would you show any of us if we were coming to visit?
IMO, the coolest stuff about Seattle is what surrounds it. The city essentially surrounded by water with the Puget Sound on one side and Lake Washington to the east. We are also surrounded with views of mountains, the Olympics to the west and Cascades to the east. So we get killer sunrises and sunsets (when you can see the sun).

All those mountains and their forests, canyons, glaciers, and rivers offer endless opportunities for hiking, climbing (all types, but the ice climbing is pretty limited), river and sea kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, skiing and boarding, etc. You can see why REI started here.

And Mount Ranier, south of Seattle is a great destination. Its about as tall as the Rockies 14,400 feet) but IMO way more impressive than any other lower 48 mountain because it is essentially rising from sea level and laden with massive glaciers.

The Olympic National park is a ferry ride and and some driving to teh west. It has amazing beaches, peaks and rainforests that are amazing.

Plenty of boating to be done and checking out Orcas and occasionally grey whales.

So you can see I have a bias towards outdoor stuff. But that is what I think makes this place most special for me. The rain can be a drag, but there isn't actually more rain than most other places in the US. The difference is that we get lots of constant drizzle from late fall to early spring, but rarely get true downpours. And its amazingly green out here as a result.

In the city though... We too are pretty proud of our ball park and Stadiums. You've all probably heard about Qwest Field at this point. Huskie Stadium is shaped like a horse shoe and open to a view of Lake Washington and the Cascades. A significant number of people come to the games by boat.

We've got some good art museums. the Seattle Art museum has a good collection of native art and has an Asian art museum as well. The Frye art museum has a strong collection and is free.

The international district has a bunch of cheap and good Asian food.

Pioneer Square is one of the more historic areas in Seattle, but out here that means its got buildings that are about 100 years old. There is night life there but it can get a bit thugish (See Ken Hamlin's head injury).

Pikes Place Market is a must - its just an open air co-op with losts of produce, fish, and art. This is where people go to see the fish throwers.

You can always take a ride up Space Needle to get a view. Definately worth doing once if you catch it on a clear day. And a ferry ride or driving north bound on highway 99 offers good views of downtown and the sound.

the best times to come out are July through September if the thought of rain scares you. We are actually drier than a lot of the nation those month because we don't get thunderstorms often.

OK, I've been typing too much. But I gotta try to represent...

You are all welcome any time. Maybe we should have a fan exchange program next season. Have your diplomants start by sending us some pandas.

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 04:46 PM
What's the suicide rate in Seattle? I heard it's even higher than Cleveland's. I'm only like 15% joking, because I've literally heard that Cleveland and Seattle have off-the-chart suicide rates because of the shitty weather...

Hawk Believer
02-04-2006, 04:54 PM
What's the suicide rate in Seattle? I heard it's even higher than Cleveland's. I'm only like 15% joking, because I've literally heard that Cleveland and Seattle have off-the-chart suicide rates because of the shitty weather...
You are right as far as I know. Less sunshine equals more suicide for folks with true depression. Being the norhternmost major city in the lower 48, we have comparatively shorter days in the winter. U of Washington actually identified Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

Alaska has the worst suicide rates cuz of their winters.

So jsut bring your light box if you are gonna be here in the winter and prone to depression! And get professional help. This message brought to you by the WA Dept of tourism....

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2006, 05:06 PM
The Pittsburgh History and Sports Museum in the Strip first.

Lunch at Primanti's in the Strip.

PNC Park and Heinz Field.

Shadyside for shopping.

Dinner at Tambelini's on 51.

Hit the bars on the South Side.

Drive up to Mount Washington and show them one of the most beautiful sites in North America.

Call it a night.

Listed above would probably fill a whole day. There are other sites and area's such as......Bloomfield (Pittsburgh's Little Italy), Science Center, Station Square, Andy Warhol museum, Carnegie Museum, Oakland and the Waterfront. Depending on what time of year you come.....excellent hunting and fishing in the area. Skiing and snowboarding. Kennywood Amusement Park (one of the oldest in the country). There's really only so much you can do in one day.

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm currently below the snow belt, but NE Ohio has "Lake Effect" (something to do with Lake Erie's temperature taking longer to warm up/chill down compared to the adjacent land) which makes the weather overcast like 270 days out of the year...I don't think it's that bad where I'm at.

SAD is a real concern around here. The easiest and cheapest way to counter it is tanning beds. Since I hate the winter, and lived in Florida for almost 10 years, I have to hit the tanning beds for a couple months every year between January and March, and I always take a Florida vacation in March for Spring training...

luvmysteelers
02-04-2006, 08:15 PM
HawkBeliever, I am partial to the outdoor things, too..Seattle and its surrounding areas sound beautiful. It sounds like there is tons of stuff to do. Rain doesn't bother me as long as its not freezing rain. A fan exchange is a great idea. You come here first! :-)

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
HawkBeliever, I am partial to the outdoor things, too..Seattle and its surrounding areas sound beautiful. It sounds like there is tons of stuff to do. Rain doesn't bother me as long as its not freezing rain. A fan exchange is a great idea. You come here first! :-)

I'll be more than happy to pick him up and drop him off in Garfield or the Hill District.

Hawk Believer
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
I'll be more than happy to pick him up and drop him off in Garfield or the Hill District.
I was wondering when the Blue Oyster Bar technique was going to be employed.

Stlrs4Life
02-06-2006, 09:53 PM

These are all a must see in Pittsburgh. Try to view Mt. Washington at night. And take a ride on the incline.

melroseplace
02-08-2006, 05:13 PM

I agree...I came into the city thru the tunnels for the first time this year since I came to school and it's absolutely amazing

R2sojr
02-09-2006, 12:21 AM
First, let me establish that I am not fishing for some civic bashing pissing match with this thread. Otherwise I'd post it in the Blast Furnace.

I admit I know very little about Pittsburgh. I am honestly curious to know more about the place.

So the question is... If some buddies of yours were coming to town, what would you be most proud of to show him or her? Where would you bring them for a good time?

id show one of my buddies mt washington...bare elegance...the strip...but if any seahawk crybaby wants to come i can show him the bottom of one of our three rivers..lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2006, 12:23 AM
These are all a must see in Pittsburgh. Try to view Mt. Washington at night. And take a ride on the incline.

Yeah that is a site to behold..u can just stand there forever looking over the city with all the lights.. :cool:

Hawk Believer
02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah that is a site to behold..u can just stand there forever looking over the city with all the lights.. :cool:
Sounds like the kinda place that every father of a teenage daughter fears when combined with a high school boy and a car......

luvmysteelers
02-09-2006, 06:13 AM
You're probably right, Hawk.

Chronicgaming
02-10-2006, 11:17 AM
The Waterfront in Homestead is a pretty new developed area that has restruants (my favorite being Dave and Busters) and a Loews Movie Theater.

If you are into architecture, then I would suggest parking on the North Shore and exploring the waterfront around PNC Park by foot. You get a great view of the skyline here. Take a walk across one of the bridges downtown (perhaps the Clemente bridge) to check out the skyscrapers and the new Convention Center.

BlackNGold203
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Sounds like the kinda place that every father of a teenage daughter fears when combined with a high school boy and a car......

LMAO...Thats funny!!!

Wait...I have a teenage daughter....

Thats not funny!!!

hehehe

luvmysteelers
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a teen-aged son if you want to test the theory. j/k

beSteelmyheart
02-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Anytime I bring someone to town..I take them through the Ft. Pitt tunnel...and BOOM..the city appears in front of you...its stunningOh,,,Heinz Field and PNC Park...:)

It is beautiful!
Coming out of the tunnel, especially at night, the sudden view can blow you away.

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
This is for everyone, but I hope everyone sends it to their friends who don't understand Pittsburgh...this goes a long way towards explaining it...

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/steelers_champs.html

Mamaduck43
02-12-2006, 12:00 AM
I grew up in North Park - - and everytime I go back to Pittsburgh, I have to make a pilgrimage to my old stomping grounds.... There are lovely trails through the park and enough nature to keep just about anyone happy.....

When my mother passed away a few years ago, I had all of my kids and grandkids together - - very unusual since some live in Wisconsin, some in Hawaii and some in Colorado..... We did a two day mystery trip to all of the places that meant something to both my ex and myself.... Our old houses, our schools, our favorite haunts, the bowling alley where we met, and even our favorite parking places..... We added stops in the Strip district, Mt. Washington, Oakland, South Hills and we rode on the inclines and the busways...... It was great fun...... We went to the Science center - - and of course Heinz Field and PNC Park...... We did Carnegie Museum and Phipps Conservatory...... And I fell in love with the city all over again....

I hated the weather - - too hot in the summer, too slushy in the winter - - and the road conditions drove me batty, but the best thing about Pittsburgh is the people who live there..... They really live life with passion, and are some of the best people in the world....