PDA

View Full Version : Should we blitz Timmons more often?

Mr_Kennedy
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
http://stats-dont-lie.blogspot.com/2010/02/who-are-afcs-most-efficient-pass.html

He led the NFL in sack efficiency and I think he can be like Kendrell Bell and be a 9-10 sack guy from ILB.

Sharkissle29
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
He sure has that impressive speed. Everytime i see him blitz, i think its a DB....

supa_fly_steeler
02-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I remember when he pummeled Cassell but also got run over by McClain :\

pepsyman1
02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I was actually surprised we didn't blitz him more. We did less of that criss-cross blitz that Foote and Farrior did so well last year. I think we need more of that so that the opposing O-lines can't predict where are blitzes are coming from. I think that's part of why Harrison didn't have as much production this year...teams assumed he was coming, directed their extra blocking toward him and accepted the consequences if it came from elsewhere. We never really made teams pay for that.

Mr_Kennedy
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I was actually surprised we didn't blitz him more. We did less of that criss-cross blitz that Foote and Farrior did so well last year. I think we need more of that so that the opposing O-lines can't predict where are blitzes are coming from. I think that's part of why Harrison didn't have as much production this year...teams assumed he was coming, directed their extra blocking toward him and accepted the consequences if it came from elsewhere. We never really made teams pay for that.

I'm guessing we didn't do the criss cross blitz that often was because of Timmons' ankle injury that he had to start the season. He was probably still a little hobbled until midway through the year.

steelerdude15
02-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I say yes because he seems to blitz well and gets to the QB.

Merchant
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
He is a very good blitzer. I think this could even be his breakout year now that he's got a good amount of experience under his belt.

Psyychoward86
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
He just needs to be careful to breakdown once he closes in on his target. I am LOVIN' the potential in this guy. His football skills and acumen are a bit rough in all aspects, but i think we've all seen more and more flashes of brilliance out of him the last two years.

It's quite a luxury we have here in Pittsburgh.....4 linebackers who can blitz well :jawdrop:

how many teams can say that?

SMR
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
He just needs to be careful to breakdown once he closes in on his target. I am LOVIN' the potential in this guy. His football skills and acumen are a bit rough in all aspects, but i think we've all seen more and more flashes of brilliance out of him the last two years.

It's quite a luxury we have here in Pittsburgh.....4 linebackers who can blitz well :jawdrop:

how many teams can say that?

That's a verrrrrry nice though! :applaudit:

tony hipchest
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
hed all ILB's with 7 sacks last season (his first as a starter).

is he even 23 years old yet? i bet there will be a few rookies drafted in april older than him.

steelreserve
02-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Of course we should blitz him more often. Our biggest problem aside from losing Troy was that we played flat and predictable defense all year, and consequently got picked apart when it counted.

lionslicer
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
If the coaches work on his block shredding skills, he'll be great. He's fast but he's had some problems shedding blocks if a blocker is lucky enough to lay their hands on him.

Steeldude
02-13-2010, 12:14 AM
not a very aggressive defense last year, IMO.

steelerdude15
02-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Of course we should blitz him more often. Our biggest problem aside from losing Troy was that we played flat and predictable defense all year, and consequently got picked apart when it counted.
not a very aggressive defense last year, IMO
After Troy got hurt, Lebeau admitted that he was calling more conservative plays with less blitzing...

JEFF4i
02-13-2010, 03:04 AM
I blitz him all the time in Madden for the exact reason why Timmons should see more action.

He's fast, and tough. McClain ran over him, but McClain does that to a lot of people. There is a secondary benefit to hitting backs behind the line, it can give the rest of the folks coming just enough time to close in on him afterwards.

lionslicer
02-13-2010, 03:33 AM
I blitz him all the time in Madden for the exact reason why Timmons should see more action.

He's fast, and tough. McClain ran over him, but McClain does that to a lot of people. There is a secondary benefit to hitting backs behind the line, it can give the rest of the folks coming just enough time to close in on him afterwards.

McClain is like Mike Alstott, not even nose tackles can tackle this guy one on one. I really don't recall Timmons getting run over by anyone else, and he's a hard worker, next season he'll be bigger and stronger and faster than he was this season, I can see him getting 10+ sacks and becoming a nightmare for opposing offenses.

Galax Steeler
02-13-2010, 05:49 AM
I would say yes he is fast enough to reach the quarterback we need to get back to being Blitzburgh.

GBMelBlount
02-13-2010, 07:09 AM
steelreserve

.....we played flat and predictable defense all year, and consequently got picked apart when it counted.

Steeldude

not a very aggressive defense last year, IMO.

I do think we should blitz Timmons more. He is fast as hell and really developed last year.

We need to be more aggressive and less predictable.

supa_fly_steeler
02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Hes a monster of course.

solardave
02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
http://stats-dont-lie.blogspot.com/2010/02/who-are-afcs-most-efficient-pass.html

He led the NFL in sack efficiency and I think he can be like Kendrell Bell and be a 9-10 sack guy from ILB.

I think some of the lack of Blitzing by timmons was due to Troy being out. Maybe I'm wrong.

MasterOfPuppets
02-13-2010, 11:02 AM
gee i bet lebeau has never thought about it ..:huh: ...someone should send him an email and suggest it ....:thumbsup:

urgle burgle
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
gee i bet lebeau has never thought about it ..:huh: ...someone should send him an email and suggest it ....:thumbsup:

i already did...

his response? and i quote.."Suck it bitches!! i kick ass and im in the HOF!!"

kindest regards,

Dick "kick ass" Lebeau.

steelpride12
02-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I love the potential and what this kid has to bring. He is young and learning this defense well. I remember his INT for almost a TD against NE! I think he was OK in coverage and Lebeau liked him playing that roll while he used the OLB's for the blitzing aspect.

Chidi29
02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I think some of the lack of Blitzing by timmons was due to Troy being out. Maybe I'm wrong.

And Farrior's declining coverage skills. If you blitz Harrison and Woodley too, he's the only linebacker you got back in coverage.

Mr_Kennedy
02-13-2010, 08:19 PM
And Farrior's declining coverage skills. If you blitz Harrison and Woodley too, he's the only linebacker you got back in coverage.

And that brings up another question: Would you rather blitz Farrior and leave Timmons in coverage or blitz Timmons and leave Farrior in coverage?

I would like to see Farrior replaced by a more athletic LB on third downs but I don't see one on our roster who can adequately replace Farrior in obvious passing situations.

mojawi
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
let him loose! He doesn't have great size so I can see why they don't want to constantly send him into the teeth of the OL with only two DL in front of him, but he should get more shots this year as long as he's not hurt. Plus, Fox looked pretty good in his absence.

nikstar
02-15-2010, 02:25 PM
And that brings up another question: Would you rather blitz Farrior and leave Timmons in coverage or blitz Timmons and leave Farrior in coverage?

I would like to see Farrior replaced by a more athletic LB on third downs but I don't see one on our roster who can adequately replace Farrior in obvious passing situations.

I agree with most statements made, Troy out, so we needed timmons speed more in the middle coupled with Farriors, plus a battered secondary brings both the ILB's back a little bit on the field. As for Farrior being replaced on third downs, I'm usually all for substitutions as I think fresh legs is the way of football future, but I doubt he will be okay with that plus he's the play caller(?). More likely situation is if your Lebeau he will rush Timmons on 1st occaisionaly, on 2nd a lot (running plays), and be more likely to keep Farrior in the middle for the usually-sure tackle come 4-9 yard short pass plays. On 3rd if Lebeau chooses to rush any ILB's it would probably be Farrior keeping Timmon's speed in coverage,

MY Preferance: Trade Potsie(will never happen) for the 4th pick from Washington (Remember no-cap) Than draft Cody and sign not tag Hampton, = best pass rush in the league for years to come

One can dream.:applaudit:

pancake
02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I remember when he pummeled Cassell but also got run over by McClain :\

He has some room to improve, but he has a big upside too...

I would like to see him blitz more...

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I liked the twist blitzes up the middle quite a lot, but i also liked that Dick lebeau utilized him the way we first intended him to be utilized, at OLB. He blitzed very well from that spot too. I think it'll bring a lot to the table if we continue to pop him outside everyone once in a while in place of Woodley or Harrison.

nikstar
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
ya fox has been studly, more playing time would be great, plus it's about time to breed some new steeler linebackers, prolly won't get much draft considerations but maybe some no-names can start to step in.

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I guess it's too soon to say this, especially for me because i still think Farrior has reasonable mileage left, but I think Timmons and Fox just might be our future ILB's....

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree with most statements made, Troy out, so we needed timmons speed more in the middle coupled with Farriors, plus a battered secondary brings both the ILB's back a little bit on the field. As for Farrior being replaced on third downs, I'm usually all for substitutions as I think fresh legs is the way of football future, but I doubt he will be okay with that plus he's the play caller(?). More likely situation is if your Lebeau he will rush Timmons on 1st occaisionaly, on 2nd a lot (running plays), and be more likely to keep Farrior in the middle for the usually-sure tackle come 4-9 yard short pass plays. On 3rd if Lebeau chooses to rush any ILB's it would probably be Farrior keeping Timmon's speed in coverage,

MY Preferance: Trade Potsie(will never happen) for the 4th pick from Washington (Remember no-cap) Than draft Cody and sign not tag Hampton, = best pass rush in the league for years to come

One can dream.:applaudit:

The one thing we must remember is that in losing Farrior, no matter how it happens, you lose the guy that is calling out the defensive signals for the defense. He's an extremely smart player and you can't just replace that with Keyaron Fox.

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I guess it's too soon to say this, especially for me because i still think Farrior has reasonable mileage left, but I think Timmons and Fox just might be our future ILB's....

Isn't Fox closing in on 30? His upside is pretty limited...

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Isn't Fox closing in on 30? His upside is pretty limited...

he's 28, with very, very limited tread on his wheels (kinda like Deebo)

vrabinec
02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
he's 28, with very, very limited tread on his wheels (kinda like Deebo)

I like Fox as a backup, but I'd like to see us draft an animal inside there, someone like Kirkland.......I mean, before topped out at three bills.

As for blitzing Timmons more, the problem with that is that he's our best cover linebacker. If you blitz him, then typically you have Woodley or Farrior on either the back coming out of the backfield (and we saw what Ricve did to Farrior), or the tight end. I think LeBeau uses Timmons just right as far as the blitz goes. With Troy back, he'll be able to send him a little more because Troy will cover more ground.

nikstar
02-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Is anyone else qualified to call the plays? or maybe we will see another draft pick used on a beastly ILB with brains this year?.. Something tells me it would take atleast 2 years before anyone even has a basic enough knowledge of the defense to be calling signals.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
The one thing we must remember is that in losing Farrior, no matter how it happens, you lose the guy that is calling out the defensive signals for the defense. He's an extremely smart player and you can't just replace that with Keyaron Fox.

I agree with you totally. I know Timmons plays mack linebacker, but i wonder if he could kick in to Farrior's spot in 2-3 years and call the defensive plays, and have a draft pick or keyaron fox playing at mack linebacker?

I think that's what's going to happen. I understand that Timmons is REALLY young, but i bet he will be able to handle it soon. Jon Beason, Patrick Willis, Demeco Ryans, David Harris, and James Laurinaitis turned out all right :noidea: