PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Winter Olympics

Fire Haley
02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
IOC confirms Olympic luger dies after crash

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — A men's Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash on a track that is the world's fastest and has raised safety concerns among competitors. A tearful IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony "clearly casts a shadow over these games."

Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled during training, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=txluglugerdies&prov=st&type=lgns

tony hipchest
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
they even released pictures.

like nascar crashes, this will only help drum up interest.

i cant wait for curling.

devilsdancefloor
02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA!

but it is sad someone lost their lives

Fire Haley
02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Here's the video

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6202459n

HometownGal
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
OMG that is just horrible. :horror: What a tragedy. :shake02:

I much preferred the baby tigers and penguins on the next video.

tony hipchest
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Here's the video

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6202459n

:jawdrop: RUGGED!

that was hardore (the sound of the hollow steel is almost chilling). he was hauling ass. i cant believe they dont have safety nets or something up along those corners.

GBMelBlount
02-12-2010, 07:28 PM
All I can say is what a shame.

I am not even going to watch this video.

Fire Haley
02-13-2010, 12:09 AM
:jawdrop: RUGGED!

that was hardore (the sound of the hollow steel is almost chilling). he was hauling ass. i cant believe they dont have safety nets or something up along those corners.

That was the end of the run - they had higher barriers, but obviously not high enough.
The amazing part was that NBC showed the video in their coverage, and in slo-mo.

Of course Canada topped off the night by screwing up the Torch Ceremony - leaving Gretzky standing around like a fool while their stage set failed.

tony hipchest
02-13-2010, 01:07 AM
i noticed the coverage of the opening ceremonies immediately spent quite a bit of time covering this tragic event.

they didnt pause to state that this new sledding facility is known as the fastest in the world, and also known as the most dangerous.

for a while there, i couldnt tell if they were reporting on the young mans death or promoting the event in days to come.

regardless, i am certain, this years bobsledding will receive the highest ratings ever.

my worse half said she'd bow out of the games after watching that. i told her i would be the first in line saying "its my turn".

despite the crash, that shit looks fun.

i love the luge (although curling is probaly a bit easier and more up my alley).

mad respect to any olympian who is willing to risk their life or to compete while drunk. :cheers:

steelerdude15
02-13-2010, 02:01 AM
That's sad stuff, dying doing your favorite sport. Damn Canadians did this... ( I don't have anything against anybody, just a joke)

Fire Haley
02-13-2010, 02:13 AM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/15/6d47b87f76a489244a0b535.jpg

Grumpy Gretzky looked like he was ready to take a dump and light it on fire when the Olympic flame thingie broke.

ha ha

Galax Steeler
02-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Dang that was an impact such a sad story right before the opening ceremonies.

Shea
02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/15/6d47b87f76a489244a0b535.jpg

Grumpy Gretzky looked like he was ready to take a dump and light it on fire when the Olympic flame thingie broke.

ha ha

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

That and the title of this thread (what the hell, you expect someone else to die??) have me laughing although it is very tragic and sad.

Call me morbid, but I had to watch that video over and over again. I lost my best friend years ago in a manner that was just as sudden and violent. Her death was explained to me as being instant without any suffering. After watching that then I believe that might have been the case - atleast I hope so.

God bless them both.

Fire Haley
02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
In happier news ...

WE got our first gold

http://media.npr.org/assets/blogs/thetwo-way/images/2010/02/firstgold.jpg?s=3

American Hannah Kearney, at left, took the gold in women's freestyle moguls. American Shannon Bahrke, at right, took the bronze. (Jae C. Hong/AP)

tony hipchest
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
if anyone watched the luge, they took safety measures, by making the men start from the ladies position (knocking 200 yds and some speed off the track). they also put up a wall where nobody can leave the track infront of the metal supports.

kinda lame knocking speed off the tracdk but they were all still getting 89-90 mph.

Fire Haley
02-14-2010, 11:54 AM
They shortened the track by the height of a 9 story building? Thats crap. These guys know the danger.
The barriers run all the way up to the sky now at the finish line, where the accident happened.

Let them run full blast - I hope they don't shorten the bobsled course.

Leftoverhard
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
It bothers me to no end that the IOC has the gall to blame the kid for slamming into that steel pole. They should have had a safety wall before anyone got on that track. Way to deflect blame... Yes it's true - there are huge risks with luging - but seriously, do they need to make it worse by cutting corners on safety measures?

GBMelBlount
02-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Yes it's true - there are huge risks with luging - but seriously, do they need to make it worse by cutting corners on safety measures?

Great point leftover.

I can't help but wonder WHY they would cut corners on something that they know is so dangerous?...

Again, such a shame.

Shea
02-14-2010, 09:34 PM
So sad.

He felt something was off - just wish he had pulled out of the competition and trusted his instincts.

The day before he died, luger Nodar Kumaritashvili spoke to his father by phone and said he was terrified of the track at the Whistler Sliding Center.

David Kumaritashvili gave an interview Sunday outside his house in the Georgian mountain town of Bakuriani, recounting one of the last conversations he had with his 21-year-old son. The Wall Street Journal reports:

"He called me before the Olympics, three days ago, and he said, 'Dad, I'm scared of one of the turns.'

"I said, 'Put your legs down on the ice to slow down,' but he said if he started the course he would finish it. ... He was brave."

Nodar Kumaritashvili also spoke with his parents minutes before his fateful slide, telling them he planned to make them proud, according to The Globe and Mail.

Since his death, many people have debated whether the track was too fast or the relatively inexperienced luger was out of his element. A number of Olympic lugers think the track was fine. They fault Kumaritashvili – a sentiment shared by luging officials who deemed the track safe (even while hypocritically lowering the starting location and adding pads to the metal beams that caused the death).

Germany's Natalie Geisenberger, who won a race at Whistler last year, said the women's event has turned into a kids race, a startlingly insensitive remark given the tragedy of Friday:

I'm not happy about the new start.

It’s not a woman’s start, it’s a kinder (German for children’s) start. The rest of the track is OK, but it's not as fast as from the proper start. It's the same for all the athletes, but I don't like it. I felt very good, but now because of the new start it's not fun.

Canadian Regan Lauscher complained that the lowered start means her nation's home-track advantage is "basically gone." Given that some have said Canada's resistance to allow other countries to train at the Whistler track played a role in Kumaritashvili's death, that comment beats out even Geisenberger's for insensitivity. Maybe Lauscher is taking cues from her coach, Wolfgang Staudinger, who said that "exotic sliders" are the reasons luge accidents happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Luger-who-died-told-father-he-was-terrified-of?urn=oly,219592

Fire Haley
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Back to the top of the hill ...

WHISTLER, British Columbia --

Bobsled and skeleton races at the Vancouver Olympics will start from their normal locations at the Whistler Sliding Center.

Luge courses were shortened following the death of a Georgian luge athlete during a training run. Moving the bobsled and skeleton starts is not feasible, considering athletes in both disciplines need room to run at the start.

Bobsled and skeleton competitors will be given the option of training from a lower start if they prefer but must take at least two runs from their normal start, as is the case before virtually all international events.

JPPT1974
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Hope Apollo wins four more times as I think this will definately be his last Games.

Galax Steeler
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Back to the top of the hill ...

WHISTLER, British Columbia --

Bobsled and skeleton races at the Vancouver Olympics will start from their normal locations at the Whistler Sliding Center.

Luge courses were shortened following the death of a Georgian luge athlete during a training run. Moving the bobsled and skeleton starts is not feasible, considering athletes in both disciplines need room to run at the start.

Bobsled and skeleton competitors will be given the option of training from a lower start if they prefer but must take at least two runs from their normal start, as is the case before virtually all international events.

Well that is some good news let these guys run.:applaudit:

tony hipchest
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
excellent! having 2 football fields worth of speed chopped off of the bobsled woulda sucked.

the luge still kicked ass though. the mens and womens moguls also kicked ass. looking forward to the downhill snowboarding tonight.

its gotta be the element of speed that makes the winter games more exciting than the summer ones.

Shea
02-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm watching the snowboarding and downhill right now and it's hard to see so many of the athletes fall. They train so hard and to fall must be wrenching for them.

Glad that the skier on downhill got up after going down. It's scary how dangerous that can be in that sport. Those boys are flat-out flying. :jawdrop:

Fire Haley
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I see all the US snowboarders wear blue jeans while the rest of the world wears custom ski-suits.

We are so bad.

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
even the chicks. :thumbsup: snowboarder bunnies kick ass.

actually, they are snow pants designed to look like faded worn jeans.

stay warm and dry and still look like a cool rebel?

brilliant!!!

$400.00 brand new for the ladies-

Burton Women's Maiden Denim Pant

There's a chick who's riding with frozen-solid jeans, one who's sporting boring, normal-looking snowpants,,then there's you. You're ripping in the Burton Women's Maiden Denim Pant. The waterproof breathable GORE-TEX Performance Shell fabric keeps your gams dry,comfortable throughout winter's nastiest storms, while Burton's classic fit (baggy, but not too baggy),a slightly longer-than-usual length add just the right amount of style. When you heat up on off-piste hikes or park runs, just unzip the inner thigh vents,cool your engines.

inner thigh vents... thats hot.

OneForTheToe
02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
If you can get CNBC, the US is kicking some Swiss butt in curling at the moment. The tension is palpable.

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
If you can get CNBC, the US is kicking some Swiss butt in curling at the moment. The tension is palpable.

excellent! i watched the german women vs US today at work. (believe it or not, USA and england each have a pretty cute curler).

the german women though? pretty scary.

they looked so mad and angry, i thought they were gonna take a shit on the ice.

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
EXTRA INNINGS! (who knew curling had extra innings...

who knew they had that cool compass like calibrating tool to determine which rock is closest?)

not knowing all the rules or the point of it all, only adds to the mysique and intrigue.

SteelCityMom
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
EXTRA INNINGS! (who knew curling had extra innings...

who knew they had that cool compass like calibrating tool to determine which rock is closest?)

not knowing all the rules or the point of it all, only adds to the mysique and intrigue.

Ugghhh...I enjoy curling and all, but it's severely cutting into hockey time. Probably won't get to see any of the first period of Sweden vs. Germany now. At least it's not a game I care too terribly about I guess. NBC's coverage just sucks the big one.

OneForTheToe
02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, never mind. The US lost. Poor US guy has missed three winning shots in the last 24 hours. I'd say it is time for beers, if i was he.

Fire Haley
02-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Women's downhill was awesome - lots of crashes

Lindsey Vonn - the first American woman to win an Olympic downhill gold

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/18/alg_vonn_gold_us.jpg

stillers4me
02-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Great day yesterday for the USA..........moments of courage for the women skiers with Lindsey Vonn winning gold and amazing athletic skill on the halfpipe. Shaun White easily won gold with his first run and topped his score with his victory lap. What's even more amazing is the fact that he had two open heart surgeries when he was one year old for a heart defect.

If you missed him last night, check it out........ http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=d924411a-bea6-4fd8-b485-f58dc5238dfe.html#mens+halfpipe+white+wins+gold

When I watched the other performances, it makes you even more impressed with Shaun's abilities. Alot of them wiped out and no one came close to his height in the air. I bet alot of kids were watchng him, dreaming of doing that stuff on their skateboards and alot of parents did not sleep well last night. :chuckle:

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Great day yesterday for the USA..........moments of courage for the women skiers with Lindsey Vonn winning gold and amazing athletic skill on the halfpipe. Shaun White easily won gold with his first run and topped his score victory lap. What's even more amazing is the fact that he had two open heart surgeries at the ripe old age of one for a heart defect.

If you missed him last night, check it out........ http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=d924411a-bea6-4fd8-b485-f58dc5238dfe.html#mens+halfpipe+white+wins+gold

Yes - it was quite a day for our American athletes! :drink: Shaun White is just amazing and I was delighted that Lindsey Vonn and Julie Mansuco finished 1-2 in the ladies downhill on such a treacherous mountain. :horror: I felt so bad for the women who crashed towards the end of the slope - it's a miracle they were able to get up. :horror: Speed skater Shani Davis also took gold in the 1,000m with Shaun Henrick getting the bronze. :thumbsup:

Lots of hockey and curling today and the Men's Free Style figure skating is on tonight, which I'll have my eyes glued to.

GO USA! :usa:

SteelersinCA
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Women's downhill was awesome - lots of crashes

Lindsey Vonn - the first American woman to win an Olympic downhill gold

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/18/alg_vonn_gold_us.jpg

Watching Lindsay celebrate with her husband was one of the most moving and uplifting moments I have witnessed on TV ever. The amount of work and dedication these athletes put in for very little money and some notoriety every 4 years is outstanding. :tt03:

Plus, she's hot!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
The amount of work and dedication these athletes put in for very little money and some notoriety every 4 years is outstanding. :tt03:

!

Yeah.....Vonn only banked $3million last year according to Forbes Magazine. Shaun White $8million.

I feel for them and their life of skiing and snowboarding around the world for such little financial benefit. Must be hell. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey, did anybody catch Bob Costas in the opening ceremonies talking about the lone Alpine Skier from the Cayman Islands??

"Born in the Cayman Islands, he then went to boarding school in England, now attends Brown University and trains in Aspen. Despite these hardships, he now finds himself competing in the Olympic Games". http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2010/02/open_thread_at_noon_169.php

:rofl: Costas needed a sarcasm smiley!!!

Indo
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah.....Vonn only banked $3million last year according to Forbes Magazine. Shaun White $8million.

I feel for them and their life of skiing and snowboarding around the world for such little financial benefit. Must be hell. :rolleyes:

I don't know---I certainly wish I could have figured out a way to play and goof off and make millions doing it. Good for them.

BTW, Shaun White's half-pipe runs were just ridiculous!

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I feel so bad for Lindsey Vonn - she crashed in the Alpine Super Slalom this afternoon, but Julie Mancuso brought home the Silver. :applaudit:

I'm really looking forward to the Men's Figure Skating finals tonight. I'll be perving it up again on Evgeni Plushenko. :lust: :chuckle:

USA Ladies hockey team is taking it to the Fins 3-0 in the first period. :applaudit: :usa:

OneForTheToe
02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I feel so bad for Lindsey Vonn - she crashed in the Alpine Super Slalom this afternoon, but Julie Mancuso brought home the Silver. :applaudit:

I'm really looking forward to the Men's Figure Skating finals tonight. I'll be perving it up again on Evgeni Plushenko. :lust: :chuckle:

USA Ladies hockey team is taking it to the Fins 3-0 in the first period. :applaudit: :usa:

Well anybody but Johnny Weir. I usually root for USA straight across the board, but I hope he falls on his ass. No, it is not because he is "flamboyant." After his skate the other day, I noticed as he went the scoring area someone on the ice from the USA team walked up to him and tried to hand him an American Flag and he waved them away. Look, you don't have to be a flag waiver. But really, you are representing the USA. Just take it and sit it beside you. Did he think it would clash with his outfit?

tony hipchest
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
looks like snowboarders fashion is making waves across the globe.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/18/japan.kokubo.olympics/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Olympic snowboarder's 'street' style offends JapaneseTokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Olympic snowboarder Kazuhiro Kokubo is the talk of Japan. Not for his athletic ability -- but for his appearance.

The 21-year-old member of Japan's national team unwittingly caused outrage from cabinet-level government lawmakers to the patrons at the corner pub when he arrived in Vancouver for the winter games.

Kokubo was wearing the team-issued uniform, which consisted of a suit, shirt and tie. But he wasn't wearing it quite right.

Kokubo's shirt was untucked, his pants hung low below his hips, and his tie was loosened revealing an unbuttoned shirt. Kokubo sported dark glasses indoors and double nose piercings. He also wore his hair down, revealing a mane of dreadlocks.

Japan's Minister of Education, Tatsuo Kawabata, was not a fan of the hip hop twist to the national uniform, to say the least.

"It's extremely regrettable that he dressed in a totally unacceptable manner as a representative of Japan's national team," said Kawabata, on the floor of Japan's parliament. "He lacks the awareness that he is participating in the Olympic Games as a representative of our country with everyone's expectations on his shoulders. This should never happen again."

The Japan Ski Association decided to punish Kokubo, along with his snowboard team manager Fumikazu Hagiwara and two coaches, keeping them from attending the Olympic opening ceremony as a show of regret.

But the punishment didn't stop there. Back at home in Japan, multiple viewing parties for Kokubo were cancelled across the city.

Kokubo's arrival in Vancouver was televised again and again on news broadcasts, analyzed by reporters and cultural experts. Kokubo's father even felt compelled to publicly apologize to the nation on behalf of his son's appearance.

In Vancouver, Kokubo held a news conference and apologized for "causing trouble to many people." In post-news conference analysis, television commentators called Kokubo's apology inadequate and his attitude appalling.

:chuckle:

the entire mens and womens US snowboarders "uniform" is blue jean snowpants and a hooded flannel, exactly like my favorite Faded Glory flannel (i call it a jacket since it zips up) i got at Walmart or K-Mart several years back.

i wonder what the japanese elite think of that. :flap:

we rock! :jammin:

OneForTheToe
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
looks like snowboarders fashion is making waves across the globe.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/18/japan.kokubo.olympics/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Olympic snowboarder's 'street' style offends Japanese

:chuckle:

the entire mens and womens US snowboarders "uniform" is blue jean snowpants and a hooded flannel, exactly like my favorite Faded Glory flannel (i call it a jacket since it zips up) i got at Walmart or K-Mart several years back.

i wonder what the japanese elite think of that. :flap:

we rock! :jammin:

I don't know about snowboarding, but I would be happy to design a uniform for Lindsey Vonn and Julie Mansuco to wear.:thumbsup:

HometownGal
02-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Well anybody but Johnny Weir. I usually root for USA straight across the board, but I hope he falls on his ass. No, it is not because he is "flamboyant." After his skate the other day, I noticed as he went the scoring area someone on the ice from the USA team walked up to him and tried to hand him an American Flag and he waved them away. Look, you don't have to be a flag waiver. But really, you are representing the USA. Just take it and sit it beside you. Did he think it would clash with his outfit?

I'm not a big fan of Johnny Weir either and after reading what you posted, I think he's a jackass.

Our own Evan Lysacek took the Gold and my little Russian hottie took the Silver. :thumbsup:

In the women's halfpipe finals, Hannah Teter of the USA won the Silver and Kelly Clark took home the Bronze. :applaudit: :drink:

USA now leads the Medals board with 18 overall. :hatsoff:

GO USA! :usa:

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Canda are haning with all the bad/inferior teams...

they nearly did against norway for the first quarter.

Is this team overrated? GO Crosby <3

HometownGal
02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Just for all of you Lindsey Vonn lusters . . . .:wink:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/winter/lindsey-vonn/10_lindsey-vonn_1.html

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Just for all of you Lindsey Vonn lusters . . . .:wink:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/winter/lindsey-vonn/10_lindsey-vonn_1.html

scrumptious.

hey why were u looking at that??? :o

shouldnt u be looking at this stuff^^

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u153/andrewpauljones/cush.jpg

HometownGal
02-19-2010, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;773669]scrumptious.

[QUOTE]

Because, though I'm as straight as an arrow, I can admire and appreciate another woman's beauty. :drink:

Nah - none of those guys for me. I much prefer . . . .

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/02/16/23/29-Vancouver_Olympics_Figure_Skating.sff.embedded.pro d_affiliate.56.jpg

AND

http://nimg.sulekha.com/Sports/original700/sergei-gonchar-2009-6-1-13-24-16.jpg
:lust: :lust: :yummy:

stlrtruck
02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;773669]scrumptious.

[QUOTE]

Because, though I'm as straight as an arrow, I can admire and appreciate another woman's beauty. :drink:

Nah - none of those guys for me. I much prefer . . . .

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/02/16/23/29-Vancouver_Olympics_Figure_Skating.sff.embedded.pro d_affiliate.56.jpg

AND

http://nimg.sulekha.com/Sports/original700/sergei-gonchar-2009-6-1-13-24-16.jpg
:lust: :lust: :yummy:

Don't forget a certain punter! But question remains would you take the guys above or the punter?

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Lemme guess Daniel Sepulveda??? lol

HometownGal
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Don't forget a certain punter! But question remains would you take the guys above or the punter?

Hmmmm. :scratchin: That's a tough choice. I think I'd go with Serg as he is the closest to my age and is Russian. :chuckle: I LOVE Russian men. :lust:

tony hipchest
02-19-2010, 07:57 PM
US mens and womens curling team finally breaks through with a win, and they do it in dramatic fashion with the final toss of the rock in the 10th end.

ladies defeated russia when the american team had the final throw and had it perfectly placed to break the tie.

france had a longshot miracle attempt on the final throw of the match to defeat the men, but came up inches short.

fwiw, the denmark team the ladies played are 10X scarier than the german team (plus they wear long skirts over pants). the russian ladies team is pretty damn attractive with one definite hottie. the american team isnt to hard on the eyes either. :thumbsup:

USA network is kicking ass with the constant hockey and curling coverage. :thumbsup:

Shea
02-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't mind curling so much if it didn't seem to be the one event that always cuts into the hockey coverage. It always seems to run over and wipe out a major portion of the first periods of games.

I'm also starting to wonder why the main coverage on NBC during the night starts so late. It's sometimes hard to stay up - due to a long day - and they always save the most interesting events to show at the end.

Those sneaky network bastards. :bash:

Shea
02-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks like this picture of Lago caused enough discern from Olympic officials that he had to pack his bags and leave Vancouver to go back home and he'll miss the closing ceremonies.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2010/02/0219_scotty_lago_splash.jpg

Not the best image of the games you'd want out for the world to see, but does it merit him having to leave?

Personally I say no, but I'm curious as to what others think.

Besides, after watching the snowboarding competition, what other than this would people expect from these guys?? They are definitely the party "dudes" and after watching them they are so obviously the stoners among these games. :smoker:

I say par-tay boys!

Or am I getting this wrong?

Fire Haley
02-21-2010, 09:08 AM
They gave out 100,000 condoms for a reason.

Party on

HometownGal
02-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Looks like this picture of Lago caused enough discern from Olympic officials that he had to pack his bags and leave Vancouver to go back home and he'll miss the closing ceremonies.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2010/02/0219_scotty_lago_splash.jpg

Not the best image of the games you'd want out for the world to see, but does it merit him having to leave?

Personally I say no, but I'm curious as to what others think.

Besides, after watching the snowboarding competition, what other than this would people expect from these guys?? They are definitely the party "dudes" and after watching them they are so obviously the stoners among these games. :smoker:

I say par-tay boys!

Or am I getting this wrong?

I think Lago could have used a little better judgment knowing that as an Olympic athlete he is held to a little higher standard while he is in Vancouver representing his country, not to mention he had to have known that the teenie boppers and groupies would be photoging his every move. :banging: After the Games are over and he is back to some normalcy in his life, it isn't a big deal imho.

HometownGal
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
One of my favorite Olympians is now the most decorated Olympian in the Winter Games with a total of 7 medals (2 Gold, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze) in men's speedskating. :applaudit: :hatsoff: Had to admit, though, after he slipped in last night's 1,000m, I was worried, but he turned the jets on in the last lap and won the Bronze! :drink: :banana:

He also has something those South Koreans don't have - a Dancing With the Stars Mirrorball trophy. :chuckle: :thumbsup:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-02/52349154.jpg

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/20/ohno-wins-bronze-to-become-most-decorated-us-winter-olympian/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl6|link5|http%3A%2F%2Folympics.fanhouse.com%2F2 010%2F02%2F20%2Fohno-wins-bronze-to-become-most-decorated-us-winter-olympian%2F

Ohno Wins Bronze to Become Most Decorated US Winter Olympian

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Trailing the South Koreans and a pair of Canadian brothers, Apolo Anton Ohno had to rally on the last lap to make history.

With the gold and silver out of reach, Ohno scooted furiously past Charles and Francois Hamelin to earn a bronze in the short track 1,000-meter final Saturday night, making him the most decorated U.S. Winter Olympian.

"I really had to fight," he said. "I can't wait to watch the tape and see how I came back from last place to win bronze."

Lee Jung-su of South Korea won his second gold in Vancouver and teammate Lee Ho-suk earned the silver. The Koreans claimed four of the six short track medals awarded.

"Once I advanced to the front, all I could think of was just staying there," Lee Jung-su said.

Ohno's seventh career medal broke a tie with long-track speedskater Bonnie Blair. He now has two gold, two silver and three bronze medals in his three Olympic appearances. The skater from Seattle already earned a silver in the 1,500 last weekend.

"I'm very happy for Apolo's accomplishment," Blair said in a statement from Pacific Coliseum, where she was on hand to watch the race.

"It's a great feat for him, US Speedskating, and the United States of America. We hope that more kids will see his accomplishments and want to try our great sport that has been so good to us and taught us so much about what it takes to be successful in life."

Also attending was the star of the Beijing Olympics, swimmer Michael Phelps, who won a total of 14 gold medals over two Summer Games.

Ohno wasn't quite ready to brand himself the most decorated American in Winter Games history.

"In my mind, that's a hard question. How do you answer that? I don't put labels on myself," he said. "I consider myself an athlete on my third Olympic Games, working my heart out. My goal was to come out and put my heart and soul into the Olympic Games and I've done that."

Ohno, whose medals are the most of any short track skater, appeared relieved as he crossed the finish line, having skated near the back of the pack early in the nine-lap race. He briefly moved up to second, then dropped to last after slipping in the turn with three laps to go, forcing his rally near the end.

"When I moved up into second place, in my head I thought that the race was mine and I felt great," he said. "Then I slipped and lost all my speed again. I saw everybody flying by me and I'm like, 'Oh boy, there's not a lot of time. I'm going to have to kind of crank it up."'

Ohno was up against the powerful South Koreans and the Canadian brothers, who led the early laps. Working together, neither duo gave an inch and Ohno was left to rely on his experience to force his way onto the podium in the last lap.

Ohno grabbed an American flag and skated around, then patted his longtime South Korean rivals on their shoulders.

He has two more events-the 500 and 5,000 relay-to add more medals to his cache.

The 1,000 lacked the drama of Ohno's first race, the 1,500, in which he claimed silver and teammate J.R. Celski took bronze after Koreans Lee Ho-suk and Sung Si-bak crashed in the final turn. Lee Jung-su won that race, too.

On the podium, a smiling Ohno put his right arm around Lee Jung-su as they posed for photos, no hint of the animosity the Koreans felt toward Ohno after the 1,500.

Ohno believed there should have been a disqualification after he and Sung tangled, an insinuation that infuriated Lee Jung-su.

This time, short track failed to live up to its reputation for thrills and spills.

Ohno made it safely through the quarterfinals and semifinals without any drama. Francois Hamelin advanced to the final after Celski was disqualified for causing Hamelin to crash in their heat.

"I made a risky pass and I got called for it," Celski said.

Ohno clearly had the crowd support, with fans holding up red-white-and-blue signs reading, "U.S.A.4A.A.O" and "Oh No."

Sung won the consolation final.

In the women's 1,500 final, Zhou Yang of China easily won the gold medal.

Zhou breezed to the finish line well ahead of Lee Eun-byul of South Korea, who earned the silver. Park Seung-hi of South Korea took the bronze.

American Katherine Reutter was fourth.

OneForTheToe
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Note, Spoiler ahead for for Men's combined:

Highlight to read: Congratulations to Bode Miller. We Americans love redemption. Actually, we like to build people up to unattainable heights, rip them apart when they fail and then heap praise on them when they redeem themselves. Anyway, congrats to Bode for winning a gold in the Combined.

Canada can have their podium back next week.:thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
On a sad note on our friends to the north.:

{Joannie} Rochette's mother dies in Vancouver

ANCOUVER, British Columbia -- A few hours after learning of her mother's sudden death, Canadian figure skating star Joannie Rochette was back on the ice.

Dressed in black tights and a black Canadian team hoodie, Rochette appeared in the runway as the rest of the skaters in her practice session took the ice Sunday afternoon. She wiped her eyes and took a deep breath before stepping on the ice, then gave a little wave at the only spectators who were allowed in the building -- cleared about 45 minutes earlier for the security sweep before the original dance.

Therese Rochette, 55, had a massive heart attack after arriving in Vancouver on Saturday and was pronounced dead at a hospital in Vancouver, said David Baden, Rochette's agent. .....

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/figureskating/news/story?id=4933538

How horribly sad. My heart goes out to her. To lose a parent at the biggest time of your life. Not that it will make it better, but I hope she wins a medal.:crying02:

With her coach this morning:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0221/oly_a_jrochts_300.jpg

Shea
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Bode finally got his gold. :thumbsup:

On a sad note on our friends to the north.:

{Joannie} Rochette's mother dies in Vancouver

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/figureskating/news/story?id=4933538

How horribly sad. My heart goes out to her. To lose a parent at the biggest time of your life. Not that it will make it better, but I hope she wins a medal.:crying02:

With her coach this morning:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0221/oly_a_jrochts_300.jpg

I hope she succeeds when she hits the ice. Such a sad circumstance. I don't know how you can breathe let alone skate for a metal so soon after such a personal tragedy. Hopefully, she will find the way to do just that, if not then who cares?

Bless her and her family.

steelpinstripe72
02-25-2010, 11:46 PM
There are 12 Olympians from my hometown and the surrounding area. One of them, Billy Demong, snagged the first gold in Olympic history for the US in the nordic combined today.

7SteelGal43
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Apolo Ohno got hosed tonite, that's all there is to it. In the final of the mens 500m, coming around the last turn, he put his hand on the hip of Tremblay (Canada). This happens all the time in shorttrack. Though Tremblay took a spill, it didn't look to me like the hand on the hip had anything to do with it. I waited to see if Ohno would be DQd. However, I just knew that if he was DQd, they'd also have to DQ Hamelin (Canada) too. Coming around that same last turn, he had a hand on Sung (Korea) who also went down. Crossing the finish line, it was Hamelin first, Ohno second.

So. The judge goes to the monitor to make a ruling. I watched the replay several times. The same replay that showed Ohno with a hand on Tremblays hip showed Hamelin actually wrapping his arm around Sung and basically pushing off which is what caused Sung to fall. So. I'm expecting TWO DQs, right ?

Nope. The judge DQd Ohno but apparently overlooked the blatant wrap around take down of Sung by Hamelin, so Hamelin keeps the gold.

By the way, the judge that made the call was Canadian.

HometownGal
02-28-2010, 09:19 AM
U.S. Men's Bobsled Team Takes the Gold! :applaudit: :banana: :hatsoff:

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/27/51-seconds-of-patience-erases-62-years-of-frustration-for-us-bob/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl9|link1|http%3A%2F%2Folympics.fanhouse.com%2F2 010%2F02%2F27%2F51-seconds-of-patience-erases-62-years-of-frustration-for-us-bob%2F

51 Seconds of Patience Erases 62 Years of Frustration for US Bobsledders

WHISTLER, British Columbia -- From 3,044 feet above sea level, the four Americans linked hands and peered down the treacherous hill. It had caused so much carnage across the last couple of weeks, so much heartache and headaches, but there wasn't much to say about it as they stood at the top of the icy slope and took one last look.

Less than a minute later, a mere 51.52 seconds to be exact, the foursome from USA 1 bolted out of their seats following a flawless ride on their precious sled Night Train and landed in a party that had been on hold for 62 years. Steven Holcomb, the masterful pilot, ripped off his helmet and waved it like a trophy in the crisp air. Teammate Curt Tomasevicz planted a juicy kiss on Holcomb's bald head. They had just won the United States' first four-man bobsled gold medal since 1948, igniting a raucous celebration that made it feel as if the Whistler mountains were actually shaking.

Holcomb's four-run time was 3 minutes, 24.46 seconds, with Justin Olsen, Steve Mesler and Tomasevicz pushing him across the finish line. They bested Germany's Andre Lange -- the Michael Jordan of sliding -- who finished 0.38 seconds behind USA 1, his bid to win a gold in six Olympic events thwarted. And they did it with a driver who less than two years ago was legally blind because of an eye disorder called keratoconus, before an innovative surgery that included planting contacts behind Holcomb's iris corrected his vision. But perhaps their most miraculous feat was surviving a course that for days had been chewing up and spitting out the world's best.

"You work so hard to get somewhere and you finally get there and you're kinda like, 'Now what? I don't know what to do,'" Holcomb said, minutes after his extraordinary win Saturday at the Whistler Sliding Centre. "But at the same time, these guys have been training so hard and working so hard for pretty much the last four years, to finally end on a high note like this is huge."

Not many saw this coming when Holcomb, his eyes rapidly deteriorating, learned to adapt by driving the sled more by feel than by sight. He knew his condition was putting his teammates at grave risk -- imagine not being able to focus while cruising at 95 mph through whiplash turns -- and was on the verge of retiring when his coach told him about an experimental procedure that might drastically improve his vision.

"Now everything looks amazing, almost too perfect," Holcomb told me. "But if I didn't have the eye problem I wouldn't know how to drive by feel, and we might not be in this position today."

America's long sliding drought over, Holcomb and his sledmates wrapped each other in the stars and stripes and began hugging anyone who came near. U.S. coach Brian Shimer looked as if he were getting squashed between Holcomb's mighty arms. Then the foursome leaped atop the trackside podium and began what they call the "Holcy Dance," a comical gig Holcomb made up in order to stay relaxed. "Oh, do the Holcy," they sang, paying tribute to the side-stepping, lip-biting dance Holcomb has performed in cities throughout the world. Though Francis Tyler was known for lighting up a cigarette at the end of each bobsleigh run, it's highly doubtful his team partied like this when they won the gold at St. Moritz in 1948, the last time an American team came in first before Saturday.

It's that kind of special.

Aboard the legendary sled that carried them to the overall World Cup titles in the 2009-10 season, Team Holcomb obliterated the track record in Friday's two heats, staying upright on a crazy day that featured six crashes, including a nasty spill by Olympic medalist Alexander Zubkov from Russia. The Whistler Sliding Centre might just be the most controversial, reviled venue in Olympic history. It was here that Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili crashed during a training run and died hours before the opening ceremony. Amongst Friday's carnage was American John Napier, who pulled out of the Games with a strained neck that limited his mobility.

Even the great Lange nearly tipped his sled Friday in the perilous corner 13. He made a cool recovery but finished the day in third, a shocking place for the German who was favored to win his third consecutive Olympic four-man bobsleigh gold. Canada 2 driver Pierre Lueders was so angry after his Friday race, he banged his hands on the sled and ripped through the media mixed zone cursing about the "(blank) bull" crashes.

On the top of the snow-kissed hill Saturday, Team Holcomb pondered the 472-foot vertical drop that would be their final race. All they had to do was play it safe, and not destroy the lead carved on Friday. Olsen, the young energetic spark plug from Texas, said, "There really weren't any butterflies because we've been here before. If you try to take into perspective that this is the Olympics, the biggest race of your life, that's where you mess up."

They didn't dare discuss the country's 62-year gold medal drought, either, said Mesler. "We just relaxed. There was a moment where the four of us were standing there and everyone else had gone inside and we were the last ones there and it's a moment that I kind of stopped for a half a second and took it in," he said. "The four of us in an empty parking lot getting ready to go down the hill. I'll never forget that."

It was the four of them and Night Train, with the notorious curve 13 the only thing that stood in their way of creating Olympic lore. After watching half the sleds crash on corner 13 last year, Holcomb renamed it "50-50." He navigated it cleanly, perfectly, reaching close to 95 mph in curves 11 through 16 to beat Lange's team. For the first time since 1992, Germany did not win gold in the event. Afterward Lange said he plans to retire. Lyndon Rush, the Canadian who had admitted he was so alarmed by the track he might also retire, drove Canada 1 to the bronze.

The final, interminable seconds of the last run were the worst part for Holcomb and his team. "You can't see the clock. You have to make sure the guy's getting the brakes for one, 'cause if you go ripping by off the top, that wouldn't be cool," he said. "But it takes a second. When you hear everybody screaming and yelling it's hard to hear if they're cheering for you or because you got beat by Germany. As soon as I saw my team was holding up the No. 1, it was a huge moment."

It was, said Tomasevicz after he kissed Holcomb's head, "like a dream."

Even the other teams admitted they were in awe of USA 1 and their magical sled. "It's a great thing for the U.S.," Lueders, the Canada 2 driver said. "They've been competitive in bobsled for so long, but have been shut out quite a few times. (Holcomb) definitely is a talent, and I can't wait to see how he's going to do four years from now."

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 12:39 PM
also, congrats to former nascar driver geoffrey bodine, who has been building and supplying the bobsled team with snow rockets since 1998.

7SteelGal43
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
also, congrats to former nascar driver geoffrey bodine, who has been building and supplying the bobsled team with snow rockets since 1998.

Yep, the Night Train looked gooooooooood on the track, didn't it ?!!!

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Yep, the Night Train looked gooooooooood on the track, didn't it ?!!!
hell yeah. great win for the 4 sledders and "all the guys back at the shop".

after watching how bad america sucked in curling, i was definitely pulling for the canadian mens and womens team. the men held serve on "home ice" and most certainly made canada proud. word is the "old bear" is 2nd to wayne gretzky as far as sportman notariety goes. i couldnt tell what was shinier, his bald head or the granite stones they tossed down the ice.

too bad for the ladies who had to settle for silver on a heartbreaking last throw of the rock.

as for lindsy vonn, i was a bit disappointed. if she was hurt, that is fine, but i thought she settled and was content with her 1st gold.

seemed like she was unfocused and just going through the motions in the rest of the events. maybe she can make up in 4 years like bode miller did.

shaun white dominated his peers more than any other atheletes did in the entire games.

US ice dancer belbin wins the gold for "2010 olympian id most like to bang".

OneForTheToe
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice photo here. Look at those medals. Also, I hear Lindsey and Julia don't get along. If they need me to arbitrate their disputes I am game. Loser gets a spanking ... heck winner gets two. :drool::naughty:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs383.snc3/23437_336677907692_131459577692_4123197_3624445_n. jpg

Indo
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree, Ohno got hosed....In an interview with Costas he said he simply put his hand up so that Tremblay wouldn't push into him and Tremblay takes a spill...

At least he was very classy about the decision and let it go.

Shaun White is just insane. He just set the bar WAAAAAAY higher when he did his half-pipe "victory lap". No one in the sport even comes close to him.

7SteelGal43
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree, Ohno got hosed....In an interview with Costas he said he simply put his hand up so that Tremblay wouldn't push into him and Tremblay takes a spill...

At least he was very classy about the decision and let it go.

Shaun White is just insane. He just set the bar WAAAAAAY higher when he did his half-pipe "victory lap". No one in the sport even comes close to him.

"Domination" doesn't begin to describe Shaun White !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shea
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Anyone missing the Olympics?

8iEzN811p2Y

There's some good ones in that. :chuckle: