PDA

View Full Version : Best team to not make the playoffs in NFL history.

zulater
02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/1967.htm

The 1967 Colts went into the last week of a 14 game season undefeated yet managed to miss the playoffs. Talk about a tough one. :chuckle:

steelreserve
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow, that's pretty unlucky, although in fairness, they did lose in the last game to the team that beat them for the division title. I guess that's what happens sometimes when you only have 4 divisions and no wild cards.

Only other team in modern history I can think of that got shafted to that extent is the 1993 San Francisco Giants, who were second-best in baseball with 103 wins, but missed the playoffs on the last day because they were in the same division as the Braves, who won 104. That's pretty lousy in itself, but the ass-kicker is that it was the last year before MLB went to the wild card system.

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1993finaldiv.htm

zulater
02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow, that's pretty unlucky, although in fairness, they did lose in the last game to the team that beat them for the division title. I guess that's what happens sometimes when you only have 4 divisions and no wild cards.

Only other team in modern history I can think of that got shafted to that extent is the 1993 San Francisco Giants, who were second-best in baseball with 103 wins, but missed the playoffs on the last day because they were in the same division as the Braves, who won 104. That's pretty lousy in itself, but the ass-kicker is that it was the last year before MLB went to the wild card system.

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1993finaldiv.htm

Wow back! Good addition. Now we need a basketball and hockey team to add.

steeltheone
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Im 1981 the Cincinnati reds had the best overall record in baseball but did not make the playoffs. They finished second in both half seasons standings during the strike year.

steeltheone
02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
The best Pro Football Team in my opinion not to win a SB was the chargers of the early 80's

MACH1
02-13-2010, 12:07 AM
The best Pro Football Team in my opinion not to win a SB was the chargers of the early 80's

Or the Bills.

tony hipchest
02-13-2010, 12:48 AM
in recent history the 49ers missed them w/ a 10-6 record. call me biassed, but the '09 steelers would make my list.

76 steelers were the best single season team to not win it all (like the 09 steelers, the back ups simply did not execute).

bills... hands down, are the best team to not win it all.

and since frank thomas just retired, i will give him a nod for the MLB strike in '94. the sox were on a tear that year.

JEFF4i
02-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Browns last year. I don't know how they didn't make it.

Honestly though? Hmmm...for not winning it all? Have to go with the Bills, and 07 Pats. For not even making playoffs? Well, since the wild-card system is in here now all the obvious choices are #2s from before it. But post? Titans since starting Vince Young is big, considering a 6-2 finish. Us this year, considering a 6-2 start. There are so many teams that lose tiebreakers but are actually stronger.

The best franchise not to win it all? By far and wide, the post-season anemic Vikings. So many years they have been a force, and have nothing to show for it.

lionslicer
02-13-2010, 03:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=baker/081222

article about best NFL teams to miss the playoffs. 1991 49er's seemed like the 09 Steelers, their loses all came losing by less than 7 points

supa_fly_steeler
02-13-2010, 06:35 AM
The Bills 4 years of super bowls not winning in a row sure hurts.

I know that doesn't come under not making the playoffs but that musta hurt more than the baltimore colts lol

steeltheone
02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
in recent history the 49ers missed them w/ a 10-6 record. call me biassed, but the '09 steelers would make my list.

76 steelers were the best single season team to not win it all (like the 09 steelers, the back ups simply did not execute).

bills... hands down, are the best team to not win it all.

and since frank thomas just retired, i will give him a nod for the MLB strike in '94. the sox were on a tear that year.

Comparing the 76 Steelers and 09 Steelers is really pushing it. The 76 team did not get beat by 3 of the worst teams in football. The 76 team had maybe the best Steeler D of all time. The 09 team made every QB we played look like a Pro bowler.

steeltheone
02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Browns last year. I don't know how they didn't make it.

Honestly though? Hmmm...for not winning it all? Have to go with the Bills, and 07 Pats. For not even making playoffs? Well, since the wild-card system is in here now all the obvious choices are #2s from before it. But post? Titans since starting Vince Young is big, considering a 6-2 finish. Us this year, considering a 6-2 start. There are so many teams that lose tiebreakers but are actually stronger.

The best franchise not to win it all? By far and wide, the post-season anemic Vikings. So many years they have been a force, and have nothing to show for it.

Anybody mentioning a Vince Young team in this conversation must be drunk.

JEFF4i
02-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Anybody mentioning a Vince Young team in this conversation must be drunk.

You say that, but this is a team that started 0-6, after the bye week put in Vince Young, and went 8-2. That's considerable.

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
You say that, but this is a team that started 0-6, after the bye week put in Vince Young, and went 8-2. That's considerable.

Yeah, but don't forget, the 1991 49ers ended up going 10-6 playing with their third-string QB for half of the year. Montana was out for the whole season, and Young was injured for 6 games and only played partway in three others. They also spent the first half of the season trying out guys to replace Roger Craig and Ronnie Lott. By the time they got everything figured out and put their minds to it, they were beating the dogshit out of their opponents at will. I watched this as it happened, and can say in the second half of that season, the 49ers were definitely one of the most impressive football teams I've seen.

tony hipchest
02-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Comparing the 76 Steelers and 09 Steelers is really pushing it. The 76 team did not get beat by 3 of the worst teams in football. The 76 team had maybe the best Steeler D of all time. The 09 team made every QB we played look like a Pro bowler.easy there. a comparisson between the 2 teams wasnt even made. the only similarity mentionned was that the back-ups couldnt compete to the championship winning standard.

lionslicer
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM

They also went 8-2 against not very good teams. The 2 teams they lost against were the Colts and Chargers, the teams they beat were the Rams, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins, Seahawks,Jags, and the Texans and Cards were the only good teams they beat, but the Cards only showed up in half of there games, not a good team at all. And the Texans were already falling apart at that part of the season...

When Vince Young and his team posts 8 wins against teams like the Colts, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Patriots, Packers, Ravens, and Cowboys, and then they miss the playffs,, then I'll believe they one of the best teams that missed the playoffs...