PDA

View Full Version : Major offensive in Afghanistan underway

OneForTheToe
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Good luck boys - and girls. :salute:

thousands of American and Afghan troops have launched the biggest offensive in Afghanistan since the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001, the US military says. ....

Helicopter-borne US marines and Afghan troops are attacking the Taliban-held town of Marjah in Nad Ali district in a bid to re-establish government control. ....

Operation Moshtarak will be led by the US Marine Corps, but some 4,000 British troops will also be involved, supported by Danes and Estonians. Some reports say more than 15,000 troops in total will be sent to the area. ........

"The first wave of choppers has landed inside Marjah. The operation has begun," said Capt Joshua Winfrey, commander of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, which was at the forefront of the attack........

if it goes well, this operation could potentially define the tipping point, the crucial momentum aspect in the counter-insurgency," the official said. "We are going to take this place and take it very hard."

Rest of article here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8513665.stm

As the article states this is a unique operation, in part, because the Afghans are probably playing their biggest role ever. Regardless of your political beliefs, I hope everyone is praying for success.:usa:

Hammer Of The GODS
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Devil Dogs leading the charge! Good luck boys! Give 'em hell!

tony hipchest
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
As the article states this is a unique operation, in part, because the Afghans are probably playing their biggest role ever. Regardless of your political beliefs, I hope everyone is praying for success.:usa:

this transcends politics. they earned the right and deserve to have us over there wiping their asses off the map.

8 and a half years later, i just wished it woulda been done and over with by now.

OneForTheToe
02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
At the risk of being seen as not taking the consequences seriously enough, this thing is pretty cool.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2KZx17UBJoE/Sx-Ma2eU9bI/AAAAAAAAGSE/JHA1Ejepph0/s400/img_24_7195_2.jpg

http://infos.fncv.com/public/2009/afghanistan-assault-breacher-vehicle-abv-cobra-anger.jpg

http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/12/bulldozer-tank-hybrid-takes-out-minefields/

So the U.S. Marines as they move on the Taliban in the Marjah district of Helmand province are giving thanks for "the Breacher," the latest generation of mine clearance vehicles. Its full name is the Assault Breacher Vehicle and it looks like a cross between a bulldozer and a tank with a set of deadly steel teeth. Which it is: its frame is based on the A1M1 Abrams battle tank, while its plow was developed by a British company and can tear up the dirt to a depth of 14 inches. ................

devilsdancefloor
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
God speed to all involved! Give'em hell!

Vincent
02-13-2010, 12:00 AM
God speed Gentlemen. You're the best!!

Galax Steeler
02-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Hopefully they can go in there and clean all of those so_ s of b_t_hs out.

OneForTheToe
02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
A little update:

Nato-led forces say they are making good progress hours after launching the biggest offensive in Afghanistan since the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001.

A Taliban commander reportedly said his men were retreating to spare civilians. :toofunny: I know war isn't funny, but if it was that would be a doozy.

A spokesman for Nato's Isaf force has confirmed to the BBC that two soldiers have been killed in Operation Moshtarak.

Three US soldiers were also killed by an IED, Nato said, although it is not clear whether they were part of Operation Moshtarak.:salute:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8513849.stm

urgle burgle
02-13-2010, 01:10 PM
God bless the lost. we salute you proud brothers. go get em!!!

oh...one for the toe...i posted in another thread a good article talking about the "breachers" you got pics of...good stuff.

supa_fly_steeler
02-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Good luck Americans.

7SteelGal43
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Just watch the Marines, they'll show us how ya unleash hell

Esprit de Corp

Semper Fi

SteelerNation12
02-13-2010, 03:33 PM
MY USMC friends will be shipping there in July. One is a squad leader.

SCSTILLER
02-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Give em hell boys!

Good luck Americans.

Supafly, your British boys are fighting right there with us, Good Luck to the Brits also.

GBMelBlount
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
God bless the lost. we salute you proud brothers. go get em!!!

Amen brother. I second that.

Texasteel
02-13-2010, 06:04 PM
God Bless You, and keep you all. You are all my hero's.

supa_fly_steeler
02-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Give em hell boys!

Supafly, your British boys are fighting right there with us, Good Luck to the Brits also.

Yea thanks, good luck to everyone, hopefully the taliban can not run away this time and we get most of those 2 thousand sons of a bitches that hide behind those sandy underground thingys.

Just for an Update.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7230940/First-stage-of-operation-Moshtarak-declared-a-success.html

The first stage of the biggest military offensive ever launched by Nato troops in Afghanistan has been declared a success as thousands of US and British troops seized a string of Taliban strongholds across central Helmand.

supa_fly_steeler
02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47296000/gif/_47296453_afgh_helmand_marjah02_466map.gif

1: Consolidation of security
2: UK/Danish troops disrupt Taliban movements
3: Forces secure Canal 56 crossings
4: Helicopter insertions
5: Helicopter and ground insertions into Marjah

Source: UK Ministry of Defence

:thumbsup: :tt03:

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
here's a quate from todays article...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100215/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

Marines said their ability to fight back has been tightly constrained by strict new rules of engagement that make their job more difficult and dangerous. Under the rules, troops cannot fire at people unless they commit a hostile act or show hostile intent.

"I understand the reason behind it, but it's so hard to fight a war like this," said Lance Corp. Travis Anderson, 20, from Altoona, Iowa. "They're using our rules of engagement against us," he said, stating that his platoon had repeatedly seen men dropping their guns into ditches before walking away to melt among civilians.
sound familiar ? vietnam maybe ?
"those who forget the past, are condemned to repeat it" ....George Santayana

supa_fly_steeler
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
To be honest in War you lose lives, you just gotta shoot the civilians if they look hostile, i know they have a family and they might be good people but i don't wanna see my brothers next to me fall from cowardly acts... I'll take chances of having the consequences in the afterlife than seeing my bro get killed.

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2010, 05:13 PM
here's a quate from todays article...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100215/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

sound familiar ? vietnam maybe ?
"those who forget the past, are condemned to repeat it" ....George Santayana

Also Tuesday, U.S. artillery fired non-lethal smoke rounds to disperse Taliban fighters in Marjah the first time cannons have been used in the fight to drive the militants from their logistical and opium poppy-smuggling base. Commanders refused a Marine request to fire deadly high-explosive rounds because the unit on the ground could not be sure civilians weren't at risk.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35425688/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia//

and this is how NOT to win a war.

supa_fly_steeler
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Taliban Fighters Step Up Attacks on U.S., Afghan Troops in Marjah

http://www.foxnews.com/images/597987/4_65_marine.jpg
Feb. 14: A U.S. soldier returns fire as others run for cover during a firefight with insurgents in Marjah, Afghanistan.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585888,00.html

MARJAH, Afghanistan — Taliban fighters stepped up counterattacks Monday against Marines and Afghan soldiers in the militant stronghold of Marjah, slowing the allied advance to a crawl despite Afghan government claims that the insurgents are broken and on the run.

Taliban fighters appeared to be slipping under cover of darkness into compounds already deemed free of weapons and explosives, then opening fire on the Marines from behind U.S. lines.

Also on Monday, NATO said five civilians were accidentally killed and two wounded by an airstrike when they were mistakenly believed to have been planting roadside bombs in Kandahar province, east of the Marjah offensive.

The airstrike happened one day after 12 people, half of them children, were killed by two U.S. missiles that struck a house on the outskirts of Marjah. Afghan officials said Monday that three Taliban fighters were in the house at the time of the attack.

On the third day of the main attack on Marjah, Afghan commanders spoke optimistically about progress in the town of about 80,000 people, the linchpin of the Taliban logistical and opium poppy smuggling network in the militant-influenced south.

Brig. Gen. Sher Mohammad Zazai, commander of Afghan troops in the south, told reporters in nearby Lashkar Gah that there had been "low resistance" in the town, adding "soon we will have Marjah cleared of enemies."

Interior Minister Hanif Atmar said many insurgent fighters had already fled Marjah, possibly heading for Pakistan.

In Marjah, however, there was little sign the Taliban were broken. Instead, small, mobile teams of insurgents repeatedly attacked U.S. and Afghan troops with rocket, rifle and rocket-propelled grenade fire. Insurgents moved close enough to the main road to fire repeatedly at columns of mine-clearing vehicles.

At midday at least six large gunbattles were raging across the town, and helicopter gunships couldn't cover all the different fighting locations.

Allied officials have reported only two coalition deaths so far — one American and one Briton killed Saturday. There have been no reports of wounded. Afghan officials said at least 27 insurgents have been killed so far in the offensive.

Nonetheless, the harassment tactics and the huge number of roadside bombs, mines and booby traps planted throughout Marjah have succeeded in slowing the movement of allied forces through the town. After daylong skirmishes, some Marine units had barely advanced at all by sundown.

As long as the town remains unstable, NATO officials cannot move to the second phase — restoring Afghan government control and rushing in aid and public services to win over inhabitants who have been living under Taliban rule for years.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai approved the assault on Marjah only after instructing NATO and Afghan commanders to be careful about harming civilians. "This operation has been done with that in mind," the top NATO commander, U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, said Monday.

Despite those instructions, NATO said two U.S. rockets veered off target by up to 600 yards and slammed into a home Sunday outside Marjah, killing 12 people. Six children were among the dead, a NATO military official confirmed Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been formally released.

In London, Britain's top military officer, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, called the missile strike a "very serious setback" to efforts to win the support of local communities, who are from the same Pashtun ethnic group as the Taliban.

"This operation ... is not about battling the Taliban. It is about protecting the local population, and you don't protect them when you kill them," he said in an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp.

NATO said the Kandahar airstrike was ordered Monday after a joint NATO-Afghan patrol saw people digging along a path "and believed that the individuals" were planting a roadside bomb. When they realized their mistake, troops flew the wounded to a NATO hospital, the statement said.

"We regret this tragic accident and offer our sympathies to the families of those killed and injured," said Maj. Gen. Michael Regner, the NATO command's deputy chief of staff for joint operations. "Our combined forces take every precaution to minimize civilian casualties, and we will investigate this incident to determine how this happened."

About 15,000 U.S., Afghan and British troops are taking part in the massive offensive around Marjah area — the largest southern town under Taliban control. The offensive is the biggest joint operation since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan.

The main attack began before dawn Saturday when dozens of helicopters dropped hundreds of Marines and Afghan soldiers into the heart of the city. Ground troops began moving just before sunrise, using makeshift bridges to cross the irrigation canals ringing the town because the main bridge was so heavily mined.

Although there was only scattered resistance on the first day, Taliban fighters seem to have regrouped, using hit-and-run tactics to try to prevent the Americans and their Afghan allies from gaining full control of the area.

The Taliban snipers appeared highly skilled at concealing themselves.

"I haven't seen anything, not one person, not a muzzle flash," said Richard Knie, of Hudson, Iowa, a former Marine and retired police officer embedded with the Marines as a law enforcement professional. "And I've been looking a lot."

Troops complained that strict rules to protect civilians made it difficult to use enough firepower to stop the attacks.

"I understand the reason behind it, but it's so hard to fight a war like this," said Lance Corp. Travis Anderson, 20, from Altoona, Iowa. "They're using our rules of engagement against us," he said, adding that his platoon had repeatedly seen men dropping their guns into ditches before walking away to melt among civilians.

NJarhead
02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Taliban fighters stepped up counterattacks Monday against Marines and Afghan soldiers in the militant stronghold of Marjah, slowing the allied advance to a crawl despite Afghan government claims that the insurgents are broken and on the run.

BAH! US Marines don't get attacked. They just let the Taliban THINK they were attacking. :chuckle:

:drink:

tony hipchest
02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
i dont know if anyone here likes or believes CNN news but then again i dont care-

Taliban Leader Captured

http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/16/faq-taliban-leaders-capture/?hpt=T1

The Taliban's top military leader, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, has been captured, senior U.S. and Pakistani officials told CNN. Baradar has been a close associate of Osama bin Laden and is seen as the number two figure in the Afghan Taliban.

Here are some frequently asked questions about Baradar and his capture:
Who is Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar?
Is it significant that Baradar was caught in Karachi, Pakistan?
What does his capture mean for the current Operation Moshtarak?
Will Baradar's capture help find Osama bin Laden?

Who is Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar?
Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is regarded as the No.2 figure in the Afghan Taliban behind Mullah Mohammed Omar and is described as a close associate of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. But with Omar staying out of sight, Baradar is "basically the de facto leader" of the Taliban, said Muhammad Amir Rana, director of the Pakistan Institute of Peace Studies, a Pakistani think tank.

CNN National Security Analyst Peter Bergen called Baradar "arguably more important than Mullah Omar from a military point of view," because Omar is more of a religious figure than an operational commander of the Taliban.

Rana called Baradar a "very skilled military tactician." "When the Taliban were in government in Afghanistan, he was the supreme commander of the army and was heading the charge against the Northern Alliance holdouts at that point in time." Rana said Baradar's capture is significant because he was was actively directing the Taliban's activities in Afghanistan.

NJarhead
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Heard about that on 1010 WINS this morning. They say he's being cooperative.?.? ...
Cattle prods will do that to a man I guess. :chuckle:

urgle burgle
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
regardless of what i may feel about the CIC...these actions, along with the drone attacks, and the Marjah offensive...i can undoubtedly support him on these..

now about the ROE under what the Marines have to fight.....thats a different story.

fansince'76
02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
regardless of what i may feel about the CIC...these actions, along with the drone attacks, and the Marjah offensive...i can undoubtedly support him on these..

now about the ROE under what the Marines have to fight.....thats a different story.

To be fair, those were in place before Obama. That's largely why the conflict is rapidly closing in on a decade in duration at this point....

SCSTILLER
02-17-2010, 08:11 AM
To be fair, those were in place before Obama. That's largely why the conflict is rapidly closing in on a decade in duration at this point....

That is true, the ROE's have been in place for awhile. Saw this morning on the news that the Taliban are using human shields, what a surprise there. Also saw on the news that the Marines have observed guys coming out of buildings where sniper fire was coming from and just wallk into the population and guys just running out of building tossing their weapons aside knowing our guys cannot engage in that situation. I say we drop leaflets all over the city saying, if you are brandishing a weapon, you are considered Taliban and will be dealt with accordingly.

stlrtruck
02-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Give 'em hell boys! And whe you're done giving them hell...give them some more!

urgle burgle
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
true, and im not exactly pointing the finger at him....
some of that ROE was in place before, new addendums have been added by Mchrystal.....i understand his idea by emplacing them, since he is the counter-insurgency master (i guess), i just dont agree with them. and Obama did have to sign off on them. but, he did what he should do, let the general on the ground make the call.

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I know this is a very unpleasent and unfair comment, but why don't we accidently bomb Afghanistan to bits and say to the press they were accidently dropped whilst shipping them to australia for training exercises in their barren deserts???

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Operation Moshtarak: British troops seize weapons, heroin, fake uniforms and bomb-making equipment from insurgents

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/17/article-0-0855247F000005DC-458_468x307.jpg
Cache: Combined forces survey the haul of bomb-making equipment and drugs found during Operation Moshtarak in Afghanistan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251793/Operation-Moshtarak-British-troops-seize-weapons-heroin-fake-uniforms-bomb-making-equipment-insurgents.html

A cache of enemy weapons, drugs and equipment has been discovered by British troops in Afghanistan.

Working closely with the Afghan National Army, soldiers from the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards seized heroin, components to make roadside bombs, mobile phones and sirens.

They also confiscated fake Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police, and U.S. Army uniforms - used by insurgents to infiltrate coalition forces and wreak carnage

The find was the most significant so far by UK forces during Operation Moshtarak, an offensive involving 15,000 Nato troops to clear the Taliban from their last strongholds in Helmand Province.

The confiscated materials will undergo forensic and contamination tests in a bid to aid the coalition effort, said Sergeant Matthew Nichol.

An Afghan medic called Mirafghan, who serves with the 6th Kandak 2nd Brigade, stumbled upon the cache while clearing a compound in northern Nad'e Ali.

He said: 'This find is an important step in bringing security to Helmand and all Afghanistan. The insurgents use the uniforms to attack our bases and our government here and in Kabul, and they use much of this equipment to plant IEDs.'

One Afghan soldier was killed in the operation, the largest joint mission in the war.

Meanwhile, military commanders raised the Afghan flag in the bullet-ridden main market of the Taliban's power base of Marjah today.

The town, which has a population of 80,000, was the largest under Taliban control.

The red, black and green flag was hoisted above the town, replacing the Taliban's white ensign, to signify another victory for U.S. and Afghan troops who launched the offensive in the opium-producing centre.

However, firefights continued to break out elsewhere in the town between holed-up militants and allied forces.

The top UK commander in Afghanistan, Major General Nick Carter, has also revealed that insurgents are sheltering behind women and children to hinder the coalition.

Cowards, i hope they die the most painful of deaths, but first get spooned up and passed around like the stanley cup in guantanamo bay

He said it was a 'fair assumption' that Taliban were hiding in compounds with innocent people in a bid to draw the allies into inadvertently killing civilians.

HIs comments were reinforced by General Mohiudin Ghori, of the Afghan National Army, who said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

Coalition troops have faced sustained machine-gun fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques, he said.

He added: 'Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window. They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251793/Operation-Moshtarak-British-troops-seize-weapons-heroin-fake-uniforms-bomb-making-equipment-insurgents.html#ixzz0fpyYodnp

urgle burgle
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Operation Moshtarak: British troops seize weapons, heroin, fake uniforms and bomb-making equipment from insurgents

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/17/article-0-0855247F000005DC-458_468x307.jpg
Cache: Combined forces survey the haul of bomb-making equipment and drugs found during Operation Moshtarak in Afghanistan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251793/Operation-Moshtarak-British-troops-seize-weapons-heroin-fake-uniforms-bomb-making-equipment-insurgents.html

However, firefights continued to break out elsewhere in the town between holed-up militants and allied forces.

The top UK commander in Afghanistan, Major General Nick Carter, has also revealed that insurgents are sheltering behind women and children to hinder the coalition.

Cowards, i hope they die the most painful of deaths, but first get spooned up and passed around like the stanley cup in guantanamo bay

He said it was a 'fair assumption' that Taliban were hiding in compounds with innocent people in a bid to draw the allies into inadvertently killing civilians.

HIs comments were reinforced by General Mohiudin Ghori, of the Afghan National Army, who said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

Coalition troops have faced sustained machine-gun fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques, he said.

He added: 'Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window. They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251793/Operation-Moshtarak-British-troops-seize-weapons-heroin-fake-uniforms-bomb-making-equipment-insurgents.html#ixzz0fpyYodnp

i think i like your comment in the middle the best. and i agree.
the sad thing is that i have had recent discussions with more than a few people that believe such tactics are justifiable because the Taliban are just fighting back the "invaders." in addition, in their view, it is not possible for me, or anyone to say that I/they, would not use these tactics if confronted with the same situation. evidently their are more people than i was aware of in our Country that feel just this way. i was a bit taken aback.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
i think i like your comment in the middle the best. and i agree.
the sad thing is that i have had recent discussions with more than a few people that believe such tactics are justifiable because the Taliban are just fighting back the "invaders." in addition, in their view, it is not possible for me, or anyone to say that I/they, would not use these tactics if confronted with the same situation. evidently their are more people than i was aware of in our Country that feel just this way. i was a bit taken aback.

The Taliban are cowards, why don't they stand up to their retarded views and other stuff i won't state as it could offend and fight for what they believe in, instead of cowaring behind women. I hope we crush them like goverment muels and kill them all, i don't care if one soldier is a children they should all be executed unless they have some inside knowledge.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Taliban ammunition 'running low'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8521503.stm

Taliban militants battling coalition troops in Marjah, in Afghanistan, are running out of ammunition, Nato officials say.

A BBC correspondent in Kandahar says that from eavesdropping on Taliban communications, Nato understands militants have called for support.

On Wednesday, an Afghan general said Taliban fighters were increasingly using civilians as "human shields".

The Afghan-Nato offensive in Helmand province has entered its sixth day.

Officials say they expect stiff resistance.

Nato officers told BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner in Kandahar that the resistance they were currently encountering was coming from small, disjointed but determined groups of fighters.

Air support

In the next few days, US Marines and Afghan government troops are due to push into south-west Marjah, which is believed to be an insurgent stronghold.

During fighting on Wednesday, US Marines had to had to call in air support as they came under heavy fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques.

Afghan commander Gen Mohiudin Ghori said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

So they have no respect for their religion? And again Cowardly attacks, if i was a soldier i would capture one and execute him with 20 rounds spilling his blood all over the mosque so when Taliban enter there they now wha'ts coming. (Who cares about the Mosques, back in the Turkey war thousands of years ago the Middle Asian destroyed the Churches in Constinople and built Mosques over them, i show no respt) and then i would pin him to the highest part of a Mosque outisde on the pole to let his dirty corpse rot and get eaten by the birds

Gen Ghori, the senior commander for Afghan troops in the area, told the AP news agency: "Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window.

"They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians."

Nato has stressed the safety of civilians in the areas targeted during Operation Moshtarak is its highest priority.

One villager who had fled to Helmand's provincial capital, Lashkar Gah, told BBC Pashto that relatives could not leave Marjah because the area was heavily mined.

"They say they can't get out of their home. If anyone takes a look outside they are fired upon by the Nato troops - they have no food left and can't go out to shop.

"The Taliban left some places but are now resisting very strongly."

Tribal shura

On Wednesday, Helmand's governor, Gulab Mangal, visited Marjah and later travelled to Camp Bastion to visit injured civilians from the area.

Nato reports that he held a shura - a council meeting - with local tribal elders and officials to discuss security in Nad Ali.

British and Afghan troops have been reported to be advancing more swiftly in the nearby district of Nad Ali than are their US and Afghan counterparts in Marjah.

Afghan officials say that more than 1,200 families have been displaced and evacuated from Marjah and all are receiving aid in Lashkar Gah.

Operation Moshtarak, meaning "together" in the Dari language, is the biggest coalition offensive since the Taliban fell in 2001.

NJarhead
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Anyone else find it comical that the foreign troops are wearing desert cammies and the local troops are wearing woodland?

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
British soldier was killed in Afghanistan on birthday
Lt Dalzell was a platoon commander who joined the Army in 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8525555.stm

A British soldier killed on his 27th birthday in a major offensive against the Taliban in southern Afghanistan has been named by the Ministry of Defence.

Lt Douglas "Dougie" Dalzell, from Berkshire, of 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, died in a blast in the Babaji area of Helmand province on Thursday.

Lt Dalzell's family described the platoon commander as a "true hero".

Three British soldiers have been killed in Operation Moshtarak, and 263 in total in Afghanistan since 2001.

'Leading from front'

A statement by Lt Dalzell's family said: "Our darling son and brother to Olivia and Angus, you touched the hearts of so many. You are our world and we love you with all our hearts.

"You only ever looked for the good in people and kept strong and happy in all you did. You are a true hero and we will miss you forever."

Lt Dalzell, from Hamstead Marshall, near Newbury, leaves parents Anthony and Colette, brother Angus and sister Olivia.

Lt Col Toby Gray, commanding officer, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said Lt Dalzell was "assured, confident, utterly professional and hugely popular with his men and held in the highest regard by his seniors".

He said: "It was clear to me that he adored his job and his guardsmen in equal measure.

"He was tragically killed, on his 27th birthday, doing the job he loved and leading from the front.

"The gap he leaves in his company, the battalion and officers' mess is enormous. We all mourn his death and will miss his gentle yet keen sense of humour."

'Gifted leader'

A statement by Lt Dalzell's family said: "Our darling son and brother to Olivia and Angus, you touched the hearts of so many. You are our world and we love you with all our hearts.

"You only ever looked for the good in people and kept strong and happy in all you did. You are a true hero and we will miss you forever."

Lt Dalzell, from Hamstead Marshall, near Newbury, leaves parents Anthony and Colette, brother Angus and sister Olivia.

Lt Col Toby Gray, commanding officer, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said Lt Dalzell was "assured, confident, utterly professional and hugely popular with his men and held in the highest regard by his seniors".

He said: "It was clear to me that he adored his job and his guardsmen in equal measure.

"He was tragically killed, on his 27th birthday, doing the job he loved and leading from the front.

"The gap he leaves in his company, the battalion and officers' mess is enormous. We all mourn his death and will miss his gentle yet keen sense of humour."

'Gifted leader'

Operation Moshtarak is the biggest military offensive in Afghanistan since the Taliban were overthrown in 2001 and involves 4,000 British troops.

In total, more than 15,000 US, British and Afghan soldiers have embarked on a push to clear Taliban forces from Marjah and Nad Ali in Helmand.

A British soldier, from 1st Battalion Scots Guards, shot dead in the Nad Ali area also on Thursday has yet to be named. His family has been informed.

The first British soldier killed in the offensive was L/Sgt Dave Greenhalgh, 25, from Ilkeston, Derbyshire, who was serving with 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.

He died in an explosion while on vehicle patrol near Lashkar Gah, in Helmand, on Saturday.

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said he was "deeply saddened" to hear of the death of Lt Dalzell.

"He was clearly a gifted leader and an inspiration to his men, never asking them to do something he had not already done himself," he said.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
US-led troops make 'steady progress' in Marjah
Page last updated at 21:26 GMT, Monday, 22 February 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8529438.stm

US-led forces fighting to clear a Taliban stronghold in south Afghanistan are making "steady progress", the most senior US military commander says.

Adm Mike Mullen said the operation in the town of Marjah in Helmand province was "messy... but that doesn't mean that it's not worth the cost".

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said Operation Moshtarak in Helmand was proceeding slower than expected.

About 15,000 Nato and Afghan troops are involved in the 10-day old offensive.

Earlier, the Afghan government condemned a Nato air strike in neighbouring Uruzgan province which killed at least 27 civilians.

Nato has launched an inquiry into the attack, and the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, Gen Stanley McChrystal, has apologised to Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

'Slow pace'

Mr Gates, speaking at the Pentagon alongside Adm Mullen, said that the slow pace of Moshtarak should not affect future operations against Afghan militants.

"Even though it's going a little slower than expected, I haven't seen anything that indicates it has had any impact on the future planning that General McChrystal is doing for subsequent operations," he said.

Adm Mike Mullen
In some places the enemy fights harder than expected. The IEDs [improvised explosive devices] he has planted along the roads and at intersections, though crude, are still deadly
Adm Mike Mullen

Afghans condemn Nato attack
Operation Moshtarak

"The situation remains serious but is no longer deteriorating," he added.

When Operation Moshtarak began, British and Afghan troops advanced swiftly through the district of Nad Ali meeting little resistance.

But US Marines and Afghan forces have encountered stiff resistance in Marjah to the south-west. Their progress has also be hindered by a large number of improvised bombs.

"As you've all been seeing, we're making steady, if perhaps a bit slower than anticipated, progress," Adm Mullen, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said.

"By all accounts the Taliban's resistance has been at best disjointed, but we have experienced difficulties. In some places the enemy fights harder than expected. The IEDs [improvised explosive devices] he has planted along the roads and at intersections, though crude, are still deadly."

Adm Mullen also expressed regret for Sunday's deadly Nato airstrike in Uruzgan province - not connected to Moshtarak.

Nato said it had hit a suspected insurgent convoy, but troops then found "a number of individuals killed and wounded", including women and children.

The Afghan government condemned the attack as "unjustifiable" and "a major obstacle" to effective counter-terrorism efforts.

Gen McChrystal, who has made winning Afghan hearts and minds a priority in ending the Taliban insurgency, said it was a "tragic loss of innocent lives".

"I have made it clear to our forces that we are here to protect the Afghan people, and inadvertently killing or injuring civilians undermines their trust and confidence in our mission," he said in a statement.

Suicide attack

In another development, a suicide attack in the eastern province of Nangahar on Monday killed at least 15 people including influential Afghan tribal chief Mohammad Haji Zaman.

Correspondents say the former mujahideen warlord played an important role in fighting the Taliban and al-Qaeda in 2001 but was suspected of having allowed Osama Bin Laden to flee to Pakistan.

SCSTILLER
02-23-2010, 07:25 AM
The Taliban are cowards, why don't they stand up to their retarded views and other stuff i won't state as it could offend and fight for what they believe in, instead of cowaring behind women. I hope we crush them like goverment muels and kill them all, i don't care if one soldier is a children they should all be executed unless they have some inside knowledge.

....and then bury them with a pig. Have fun trying to get your virgins now