PDA

View Full Version : McShay's latest mock draft

mesaSteeler
02-14-2010, 08:36 AM
McShay's latest mock draft
February, 12, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By James Walker
ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay provided his latest mock draft Insider following the Senior Bowl.

Keep in mind a lot can change after the NFL combine, other workouts and free agency. But here is how the AFC North fared:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pick: No. 18

McShay's selection: Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee

Analysis: The Steelers taking Williams here would make sense. Pittsburgh usually drafts for needs a year or two down the road. Williams would not need to start right away if the Steelers put the franchise tag on Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton. While contributing next season, Williams could be groomed to play full time in 2011. A cornerback would be the ideal scenario for Pittsburgh. But outside of Haden, there does not appear to be an elite cornerback prospect to take high in this year's draft.

Cleveland Browns

Pick: No. 7

McShay's selection: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

Analysis: Berry is regarded by most scouts as one of the top-five players in the draft. Yet based on the needs of other teams, McShay feels Berry could fall to Cleveland at No. 7. Browns safety Brodney Pool is a free agent next month and is unlikely to return. So there will be an opening to fill at safety either through the draft or free agency. But here is an interesting question: Would the Browns be better off taking the best safety in the draft, Berry, or the best cornerback, Florida's Joe Haden? According to McShay, the Browns will have their choice between the two.

Cincinnati Bengals

Pick: No. 21

McShay's selection: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Analysis: There is an early consensus the Bengals will select a tight end in the first round. The primary reason is the team needs a lot of help for quarterback Carson Palmer, but this is not a top-heavy draft for wide receivers. So filling the spot at tight end is the next best option. Gresham has a lot of physical tools that could instantly help Cincinnati's offense. But teams will be thoroughly checking into Gresham's injury history during the combine.

Baltimore Ravens

Pick: No. 25

McShay's selection: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Analysis: Wilson seems to be rising up draft boards. Haden is the clear-cut No. 1 corner in the draft. But scouts are still searching for the second-best player at a very important position. McShay believes it's Wilson, but I'm not 100 percent sold on the Ravens being a great fit in the first round. Baltimore really likes Lardarius Webb and paid a lot of money this past offseason to Domonique Foxworth. Wilson likely would be a first-round backup in 2010, unless Webb takes a long time to recover from knee surgery. The Ravens could probably get immediate help with this pick elsewhere.

supa_fly_steeler
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I really don't like Dan Williams.

Why would Baltimore take a Cornerback when they really need a Wide Reciever. And like Eric Berry falls to #7 when people Like Seattle and Tampa Bay Buccaneers need a new secondary.

Bad draft imo

groundhogday
02-14-2010, 12:16 PM
He has Earl Thomas still on the board when we pick. I'm pretty sure we'll grab that guy before Williams.

7willBheaven
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Like it said in the article "Keep in mind a lot can change after the NFL combine, other workouts and free agency." This is just what this person thinks as of right now things can change. And also there should be some good S in the 2nd round too so maybe thats what they are thinking here also.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
We could always look to trade down and still get Kyle Wilson or Perrish Cox later in the 1st....and pickup another draft pick in the 2nd.

Drafting a #1 CB to replace Gay would be a good idea.

steelerdave1969
02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Good points Gonzo. I love Kyle Wilson myself also, the guy makes plays and was a very shiny player at the Senior Bowl. I like what Solomon Wilcox said on Sirius Radio the other day about the Indianapolis Colts and their Combine rituals of not sending anyone to them to watch them workout there. They go by gametape and the way the players look on the field. And I think the Colts have did a pretty good job lately in their drafts dont you?..:thumbsup:

Northside Jonny
02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
The only thing I like about McShay is watching argue with Kiper. At best these guys are only right 45% of the time. Unless your a moron you know that means less than half the time they are right . Less Than Half