PDA

View Full Version : Tag! You're it, Hampton

mesaSteeler
02-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Tag! You're it, Hampton
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/february/13/tag-youre-it-hampton.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Saturday February 13, 2010 11:49 PM

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers are ready to play hardball with Casey Hampton.

In order to keep the all-star nose tackle for at least one more year, the Steelers are prepared to place the franchise tag on him.

Hampton, who’ll be 33 next season, does not want to be tagged. He’s looking for one last big deal before he calls it a career. It doesn’t matter if he gets it from the Steelers or another NFL team.

He has said it would be a “slap in the face” if the franchise tag is placed on him.

But on Feb. 25, there’s a good chance Hampton will be forced to stay in Pittsburgh, at least through next season. That’s the deadline for teams to designate franchise and transition players.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ director of football operations, said Hampton’s desire not to be tagged won’t stop the Steelers from doing so.

“Not really, because our stance on a tag, any tag, is that we don’t like to use them. However, we’re never going to say we’re not going to use something that is collectively bargained as a tool in this process,” Colbert said.

Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler, is one of the Steelers’ 11 unrestricted free agents. Any unsigned unrestricted free agents are free to negotiate with other NFL teams starting on March 5.

Colbert identified the Steelers’ top priorities as Hampton, free safety Ryan Clark and kicker Jeff Reed.

Negotiations with Hampton, Clark and Reed won’t begin until Feb. 19, Colbert said, because the Steelers are currently evaluating the league-wide pool of free agents.

“I don’t anticipate any serious negotiations until we have completed all of our free agency evaluations so that we know what we’re dealing with both internally and externally,” Colbert said.
Advertisement Click here

If the Steelers stick to that timetable, they would have one week to negotiate a deal with Hampton or tag him by Feb. 25.

Teams can keep their unrestricted free agents by putting franchise and/or transition tags on them.

A franchise player is paid the average salary of the five highest-paid players at his position in 2009. A transition player is paid the average salary of the 10 highest-paid players at his position.

If the Steelers put a franchise tag on Hampton, he would receive a base salary of $7.74 million in 2010. He would not receive a signing bonus.

Last year, Hampton’s base salary was $3.075 million.

In each of the past two years, the Steelers used one of their tags.

In 2008, they made tackle Max Starks a transition player and paid him $6.895 million for the season.

In 2009, the Steelers placed the franchise tag on Starks, who would have received $8.451 million. But that deal was negated when Starks signed a four-year, $26.3 million contract that included a $10 million singing bonus.

As Colbert said, he is reluctant to tag players. Before Starks, the Steelers’ last franchise player was linebacker Jason Gildon in 2002. But after he was tagged, Gildon got a five-year, $23 million deal with a $6.5 million singing bonus.

“The mindset is that we don’t want to use those (franchise and transition player tags),” Colbert said. “We’d rather do something on a long-term basis.”

But in the case of Hampton, a franchise tag may be the only way to keep him.

Northside Jonny
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Sounds like the tag will be placed and then another long term deal will be hammered out. I don't see what Casey has to bitch about 7.74 looks like one hell of a raise from last seasons 3.075

Chidi29
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Sounds like the tag will be placed and then another long term deal will be hammered out. I don't see what Casey has to bitch about 7.74 looks like one hell of a raise from last season.

Having the tag put on Hampton takes away his long-term security. Now he'll have to continue to work hard (Unless we don't bring in another NT, in which case we'll find ourselves in a similar situation this time next year) and hope he doesn't get hurt to try and get a big paday next year.

No player likes the tag. Hampton is no exception and from his position, I don't blame him for being upset about it.

Vincent
02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
No player likes the tag. Hampton is no exception and from his position, I don't blame him for being upset about it.

Then he should come to agreement on a deal that works for both sides.

The tag says "we want to keep you".

zulater
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Having the tag put on Hampton takes away his long-term security. Now he'll have to continue to work hard (Unless we don't bring in another NT, in which case we'll find ourselves in a similar situation this time next year) and hope he doesn't get hurt to try and get a big paday next year.

It was collectively bargained for by his Union. He can go cry to them if he doesn't like it.

I got zero sympathy for Hampton on this. Zero.

lionslicer
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Tag might say we want to keep him and give him more reason to work hard, but it puts a huge dent in the Salary cap, is the thirty something year old Hampton worth it?
:yuck:

Fire Haley
02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Might be tagged?

Crappy headline

Another hack writer trying to stir up a story.

Call me when it's official.

mikegrimey
02-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I definitely think we're going to tag Hampton----he can still play at a high level, as he showed this year, but for how much longer? Plus, giving him a big deal will probably result in decreased effort, like Haynesworth with the Redskins. I think the tag will be the way to go since we don't have a suitable replacement at NT right now. Hopefully they get at least a decent young replacment ready for the year after next.

GBMelBlount
02-14-2010, 09:45 PM
He (Hampton) has said it would be a “slap in the face” if the franchise tag is placed on him.

Slap in the face?

Some might argue that coming into camp lazy, fat and physically unable to perform is a slap in the face too...

It's business. Tag him if it makes sense.

Just curious, how bad have we done when he hasn't played....has there been a considerable drop off?

Steely McSmash
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Tag might say we want to keep him and give him more reason to work hard, but it puts a huge dent in the Salary cap, is the thirty something year old Hampton worth it?
:yuck:

If there's no CBA then there is no cap.

One thing from his perspective as stated is the lack of a bonus. If he suffers a career ending injury week 1, he gets one game check for about a 1/2 mil and that's it. If he hits the market as a pro bowl NT with about a third of the league now running the 3-4, he'd command almost $7Mil bonus probably.

That being said, I agree with the folks here saying that the NFLPA negotiatedthe CBA that includes the tag, so the team shouldn't flinch to use it.

MasterOfPuppets
02-14-2010, 10:05 PM

One thing from his perspective as stated is the lack of a bonus. If he suffers a career ending injury week 1, he gets one game check for about a 1/2 mil and that's it. If he hits the market as a pro bowl NT with about a third of the league now running the 3-4, he'd command almost $7Mil bonus probably.

That being said, I agree with the folks here saying that the NFLPA negotiatedthe CBA that includes the tag, so the team shouldn't flinch to use it.

false ....
from the moment he signs the tender they owe him 7.74 million dollars wether he plays a single down or not as long as he shows up for work.

lionslicer
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM

We're gonna have a cap for next year, and that hurts us this year in free agency. If this was next year, then I wouldn't care if we tagged him, but we still have a cap this year.

Rick5895
02-15-2010, 04:47 AM
We're gonna have a cap for next year, and that hurts us this year in free agency. If this was next year, then I wouldn't care if we tagged him, but we still have a cap this year.

There is no cap for 2010 unless there is a new CBA before march. That won't happen. You are confused with the article that the Steelers are self imposing a cap on themselves and won't change the way they do business. Tagging Big Snack will not affect them cap wise because there is no cap!!!

HometownGal
02-15-2010, 07:16 AM
It was collectively bargained for by his Union. He can go cry to them if he doesn't like it.

AMEN. :drink:

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Awwwww -- you mean he has to work hard for his half-million per game? He can't just take it easy for a couple years and then retire? Poor baby.

As I recall, about this time last year, Max Starks signed the franchise tender the same day we offered it, and he and his agent were going around telling reporters they were "blessed to be in this fortunate situation" and such, to the point where I wanted to puke.

Exactly. You don't want a one-year deal, then work out a multi-year deal but understand you have NO leverage if we don't want to give it to you. You can't work out something you like, then STFU and play for your $7.5 million, which is not exactly a bad deal.

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
false ....
from the moment he signs the tender they owe him 7.74 million dollars wether he plays a single down or not as long as he shows up for work.

Yup ... with the franchise tag, every dollar is immediately guaranteed. Even if you cut the franchise player before training camp, you still owe him the whole amount. That's what I wanted to do with Starks until I did some research and found that out.

WeegiesWarriors
02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Kevin Colbert's comment is fine by me. Basically the same as the US Military's position on using nuclear weapons: Nothing is off the table. The Steelers aren't going to be scared by a player screaming to the media.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The FO holds the cards. I'd like to see a compromise happen, but can't blame us if we do what we need to do.

truesteelerfan
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I think this is the perfect solution for the TEAM. Casey is of course watching out for himself....I think we will be overpaying him with a 7.4M payday for one year...but if he wants to get a big contract the following year...someplace else....he'll have to have a great season to show he's not too old. The TEAM gets one of his hopefully last great years...and thats who I'm a fan of first....the team first..then individual players...Of course I'd like him to be here long term...but if the millions...and millions he's already made from us..along with 2 championships are not enough to feel he's had a successful career...Go get your money and lose a lot.

Steeldude
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
He has said it would be a “slap in the face” if the franchise tag is placed on him

and it was a slap in the face coming into camp so obese and out of shape.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I love Hampton. He's an excellent player. He knows what his job is, take up blockers and stuff the run.

I have no problem with him being franchised.

I also see why he doesn't like the idea of being tagged. A one year deal, though it's guaranteed, means if he suffers an injury this year his career is either over or he's stuck taking a much smaller long-term deal the following year due to his age.

pancake
02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I see us tagging Big Snack, but if we don't have progress in getting a long term deal. I say we draft his future replacement...

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Awwwww -- you mean he has to work hard for his half-million per game? He can't just take it easy for a couple years and then retire? Poor baby.

As I recall, about this time last year, Max Starks signed the franchise tender the same day we offered it, and he and his agent were going around telling reporters they were "blessed to be in this fortunate situation" and such, to the point where I wanted to puke.

Exactly. You don't want a one-year deal, then work out a multi-year deal but understand you have NO leverage if we don't want to give it to you. You can't work out something you like, then STFU and play for your $7.5 million, which is not exactly a bad deal.

Woah, when did I say I was ever defending Hampton's actions? All I know is that from his perspective, a declining NT with work ethic issues who is going to have to wait a year before a huge payday, I'd be pretty upset too and do everything in my power to stop them from putting the tag on.

I'm the one who said, long before fans got peeved at Hampton for his comments about there "being problems" should the tag be put on him, that if it came down to re-signing him or letting him walk, I'd let him go.

Different strokes for different folks. Some take the approach of "We're grateful that we're alive and the sun is shining" approach as Starks apparently did, and others aren't as happy about it as in the cases of guys like Hampton and Vince Wilfork. You're typically less happy about it when you're older and when you command that money long-term on the open market, something Starks wasn't going to be able to do.

What we do need to do in order to gain as much leverage as possible is provided we put the tag on him, which is pretty much certain at this point, is to draft a NT fairly high this April. Otherwise, we're going to find ourselves in this same situation next season.

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Kevin Colbert's comment is fine by me. Basically the same as the US Military's position on using nuclear weapons: Nothing is off the table. The Steelers aren't going to be scared by a player screaming to the media.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The FO holds the cards. I'd like to see a compromise happen, but can't blame us if we do what we need to do.

I'd be inclined to disagree. Teams don't like to use the tag if they don't have to because of all the guaranteed money involved with it. And when it comes to a long-term deal, Hampton has the majority of the leverage (And pretty much all of it before he gets tagged).

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Woah, when did I say I was ever defending Hampton's actions? All I know is that from his perspective, a declining NT with work ethic issues who is going to have to wait a year before a huge payday, I'd be pretty upset too and do everything in my power to stop them from putting the tag on.

I'm the one who said, long before fans got peeved at Hampton for his comments about there "being problems" should the tag be put on him, that if it came down to re-signing him or letting him walk, I'd let him go.

Different strokes for different folks. Some take the approach of "We're grateful that we're alive and the sun is shining" approach as Starks apparently did, and others aren't as happy about it as in the cases of guys like Hampton and Vince Wilfork. You're typically less happy about it when you're older and when you command that money long-term on the open market, something Starks wasn't going to be able to do.

What we do need to do in order to gain as much leverage as possible is provided we put the tag on him, which is pretty much certain at this point, is to draft a NT fairly high this April. Otherwise, we're going to find ourselves in this same situation next season.

Fair enough. I guess I was confusing what you were saying with advocating for the big-ego, big-money demands instead of just trying to explain them.

Personally, even if it was going to be a "problem," I'd rather keep him around for one year regardless; I think that's something we need to do if we're serious about making a run at the Super Bowl next year. Beyond that, we'd better have another plan in place regardless, and I wholeheartedly agree that we need to get a new DT, whether it's to push Hampton for a couple more years, or take over the job sooner than that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I love the fact that many posters here question the "work ethic or motivation issues" of a pro bowl Nose Tackle. :rofl:

Why not question guys like Gay, Clark, Keisel, Starks, Reed, etc that were not the best at their positions in the NFL?? Oh, I get it......they read where Hampton came into camp heavy.....TWO YEARS AGO. :screwy:

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I love the fact that many posters here question the "work ethic or motivation issues" of a pro bowl Nose Tackle. :rofl:

Why not question guys like Gay, Clark, Keisel, Starks, Reed, etc that were not the best at their positions in the NFL?? Oh, I get it......they read where Hampton came into camp heavy.....TWO YEARS AGO. :screwy:

It's pretty evident that Hampton is on the decline. His play and the attention he commanded are great evidence of that.

And when you get put on the PUP because of your weight, you really jacked up your run test. Steelers like that, granted not in the Tomlin era, have been cut for those reasons.

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
um yes, will someone tell me why Casey has questionable work ethic or attitude issues? We've had the #1 run defense 3 times while he's been here, we've had the #1 defense twice, he's been to 5 pro-bowls, anchored both superbowl teams. There can be zero doubt in my mind that he's a worker....................and all of those credentials are washed away because he was overweight one time?

lol. whoever started this "work ethic bashing" of hampton needs to shut up. It's infecting damn near everyone else.

Northside Jonny
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Might be tagged?

Crappy headline

Why don't you get off your high horse pal! :crying01:

Northside Jonny
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
um yes, will someone tell me why Casey has questionable work ethic or attitude issues? We've had the #1 run defense 3 times while he's been here, we've had the #1 defense twice, he's been to 5 pro-bowls, anchored both superbowl teams. There can be zero doubt in my mind that he's a worker....................and all of those credentials are washed away because he was overweight one time?

lol. whoever started this "work ethic bashing" of hampton needs to shut up. It's infecting damn near everyone else.

I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic. I do think everyone is questioning his BS about wanting to stay in the burgh but being such a bitch about his new contract . You either want to stay or you don't money shouldn't be the deciding factor if you want to stay so bad.

steeltheone
02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Bad Draft choices and non draft choices put us in this position. We need a bang up draft this year.

GBMelBlount
02-15-2010, 11:33 PM
um yes, will someone tell me WHY Casey has questionable work ethic.......

He's a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE who is overweight, lazy at times and was deemed physically unable to perform.

As far as WHY he is this way, you've got me, I really have no idea. :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 11:39 PM
He's a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE who is overweight, lazy at times and was deemed physically unable to perform.

As far as WHY he is this way, you've got me, I really have no idea. :chuckle:

he's a freakin' nosetackle, they're all overweight. There's a difference between being in good shape and good football shape . How light do you think a nosetackle is supposed to be?

When is he lazy????

The real question is, why are one of our most proven commodities being questioned so much?

Ever since Tomlin put Big Snack on the PUP list that one year, everyone's been thinking the sky's falling. OMG OMG OMG, CASEY IS LAZY :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2010, 12:14 AM
It's pretty evident that Hampton is on the decline. His play and the attention he commanded are great evidence of that.

Yeah, I guess when your game is on the decline, they select you to the Pro Bowl. Its the 5th time in 6 years that Casey Hampton has been selected to the Pro Bowl. He must be terrible. :rolleyes:

Everybody knows that NT is the glamour position and its just a popularity contest. :rofl:

Steeldude
02-16-2010, 02:00 AM

and when hampton went down for the season the steelers defense stayed on par or improved slightly with hoke. IMO, hampton is overrated. implant another obese NT and you pretty much get the same results(don't take it literally). a guy who is hard to push, but also doesn't really get any push up field in return. he was a lot better when he was 315-325.

he was overweight one time? :rofl: i guess it depends on how you look at it. if he was the right weight when he was young and then became overweight....then yes he has been overweight only once. which also means he was only underweight( or correct weight) once.

people could say why get rid of porter? we had a good defense with him in. hampton's age and value have to be figured in. is he really worth a huge deal of money? does he really bring that much to the table? isn't hoke capable enough to start one year while a rookie replacement sits and learns.

why does he have questionable work ethic? because he came into camp grossly overweight. is that a good work ethic to you? it's certainly not to me.

Steeldude
02-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I guess when your game is on the decline, they select you to the Pro Bowl. Its the 5th time in 6 years that Casey Hampton has been selected to the Pro Bowl. He must be terrible. :rolleyes:

Everybody knows that NT is the glamour position and its just a popularity contest. :rofl:

come on. the pro bowl has been a complete joke for many, many years.:drink:

LVSteelersfan
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Pro Bowl means nothing. It is voted on by the fans and is usually name recognition due to the past. Casey does an ok job but is not a 3 down NT. Sorry, but if he worked hard in the offseason and took off some of that decidedly big gut that he has (no one can possibly argue with that) then he might be worth a multi-year contract. Poor baby. He only gets 7+ million guaranteed dollars. I wish someone would give me $7 mil. I guarantee you I could live off the interest the rest of my life with no problem. These overpaid babies need to learn how to live with what is given to them which is a heck of a lot more money than most of us will ever see. If he hasn't banked what he has earned already, he is just plain stupid. Unfortunately most athletes are just plain stupid.

mulldog24
02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I think the FO are good evaluators and will not overpay for Hampton.That being said, I think that they might have to use the tag on Hampton if he wants too much money on a long term contract. I guess it could come down to having 1 good year or 2 or 3 average years whatever the FO thinks Hampton has left in the tank.

Prok
02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I think the FO are good evaluators and will not overpay for Hampton.That being said, I think that they might have to use the tag on Hampton if he wants too much money on a long term contract. I guess it could come down to having 1 good year or 2 or 3 average years whatever the FO thinks Hampton has left in the tank.

It's a catch 22 IMO.

Casey has proven a very solid starter over the years. Problem is that how many years has he got left at solid to elite level? This situation is eerily similar to Faneca situation imo.

My money say's he at least gets the tag with an early round pick spent on NT/DT.

GBMelBlount
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Casey does an ok job but is not a 3 down NT. Sorry, but if he worked hard in the offseason and took off some of that decidedly big gut that he has (no one can possibly argue with that) then he might be worth a multi-year contract.

Exactly.

Just because he is arguably fat and lazy at times and HAS been tagged physically unable to perform does NOT mean he isn't a good nose tackle. :chuckle:

But at his age and weight and inconsistent levels of "conditioning", I would be careful about overpaying him or extending his contract too long. that's all.

Chidi29
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Because, of course, Pro Bowl votes are a great way of measuring who is truly the best of the best.

I mean, it's not like just because the Vikings were successful this year, a bunch of their fans would flood the ballots with players, even ones that didn't really deserve it.
It's not like Bryant McKinnie would get in or anything.

Oh wait...what's that you say? He...he..did?

And a little lesson for you. on the decline and work ethic issues =/= terrible

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 06:14 PM
1) and when hampton went down for the season the steelers defense stayed on par or improved slightly with hoke. IMO, hampton is overrated. implant another obese NT and you pretty much get the same results(don't take it literally). a guy who is hard to push, but also 2) doesn't really get any push up field in return. he was a lot better when he was 315-325.

3) he was overweight one time? :rofl: i guess it depends on how you look at it. if he was the right weight when he was young and then became overweight....then yes he has been overweight only once. which also means he was only underweight( or correct weight) once.

people could say why get rid of porter? we had a good defense with him in. hampton's age and value have to be figured in. is he really worth a huge deal of money? 4) does he really bring that much to the table? isn't hoke capable enough to start one year while a rookie replacement sits and learns.

5) why does he have questionable work ethic? because he came into camp grossly overweight. is that a good work ethic to you? it's certainly not to me.

1) That was 5 years ago, we have seen little to no action from Chris Hoke, mostly just on limited passing downs, and look what happened last year with out pass defense (coincidence? Maybe, i dont know). Yes, im admiting that Hampton is only a 2-down nosetackle, but it's very difficult to find a good nose tackle in this league like Hampton, and even harder to find a good 3-down nosetackle. He's our best option, more than likely. He's consistently effective, and we know what we're getting out of him.

2) Nosetackles arent really pass rushers. The only nosetackle in this league that somewhat consistently brings the rain on passing downs in Jay Ratliff, and he has younger, fresher legs than Hampton. I'm guessing this is coming from the fact that he doesnt play passing downs anymore? I dont blame you, but Hampton is still one of the better interior D-lineman in the league. He's still consistently gobbling up space in the A-gap and swallowing up 2 blockers. Quite a few times last year, you saw what kind of trouble the opposing offenses often had when they tried to get a center to man up against him alone.

3) ok, there has to be an understanding that there's a difference between being in "good shape" and being in "good football shape." Casey Hampton has been in good "football shape" his whole career except that one incident in the offseason about two years ago. And really, that was probably Tomlin just trying to lay down the law, (remember, he worked our boys' butts off his first season put them in pads in practice to show them who's boss, etc.). Nosetackles are 300-350lb. Chances are they arent going to be ripped like Rambo. So what? It's just the way people at that weight usually are. To be quite honest, it can be argued that football, like sumo wrestling, often encourages/rewards some obesity.

4) absolutely. Read my above post and his credentials. We probably cant be sure of what Hoke is capable of at this point. If he doesnt stay up to par with the high level that Hampton has played his ENTIRE career in Pittsburgh, we could be in for some big time defensive trouble in all facets possible. This is going to sound cliche, but a nosetackle is the heart and soul of the 3-4. Losing Hampton gives us a severe lack of depth at nosetackle. Assuming Hampton is gone we have Hoke starting at nosetackle, and um, who's behind him exactly incase he gets hurt? Ziggy Hood? Arent we grooming him to be Aaron Smith's replacement? We dont even know if Hoke can play 3 downs. Plus, you can never underestimate the importance of a good teacher. Hampton is one of the best in the business. Having a rookie play behind him will greatly benefit him.

5) That happened once. See--------> credentials from above

that about trumps that ONE incident for me

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Pro Bowl means nothing. It is voted on by the fans and is usually name recognition due to the past.

Because, of course, Pro Bowl votes are a great way of measuring who is truly the best of the best.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/facepalm/Lord_Insizor/Lulz/facepalm.jpg

fan votes account for 1/3 of the entire pro-bowl ballot process. they arent awful ways to measure a player's football acumen, especially if they have multiple pro-bowl appearances. Of course, there are a couple of exceptions, such as many of the "pro-bowlers" this year, who simply got in because of mass injuries and the superbowl teams.

Chidi29
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Ward,

Do you really think that any other team or fan of another team takes those things that seriously to the point where they're going through the past history of everyone?

Going back to McKinnie, he allowed 9 sacks, tied for second worst in the league out of tackles. And he still got in.

Steelrule
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
If he doesn't want to be tagged, don't tag him. If it will afttect his play because he's ticked off, what's the point? Yes, he's a "professional, but it is evident that he's going for a big pay day. He's not going to get one with the Steelers. I say, let him go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

I mean, it's not like just because the Vikings were successful this year, a bunch of their fans would flood the ballots with players, even ones that didn't really deserve it.
It's not like Bryant McKinnie would get in or anything.

Oh wait...what's that you say? He...he..did?

And a little lesson for you. on the decline and work ethic issues =/= terrible

If you think Hampton sucks, then you are either ignorant about Defensive line play or a hater. I think you are probably both.

Here is how Scouts Inc rates him.

20. DT Casey Hampton -- Steelers
He is not the dominant player he once was, but he has played well in the postseason. He is a block-gobbler who does an outstanding job of protecting the Steelers' inside linebackers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
and here is what Matt Williamson of Scouts inc says about this offseason.

Here is analysis on the situation from Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson:

“I think Hampton will get franchised for a couple reasons. First off, the Steelers should view themselves as a contender. They're not a rebuilding team. They didn't make the playoffs, but they won the Super Bowl a year ago. They're still very good, and you can't afford to break in a new nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. It's such a position in demand, and it's so important for that scheme that you can't just roll the dice and hope to get a rookie in there. There isn't somebody on the roster who is his heir apparent. Ideally, that would be a great thing to pick up on draft day this year and groom him for a year while Hampton is franchised and will become a free agent again .... So you either let him walk and take your chances at an extremely difficult position to replace. Or you keep Hampton, probably address other needs, take a shot at the title again and worry about it a year from now. That's the approach I think they'll take, and I think that's a smart move.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/8971/scouts-inc-on-casey-hampton

Chidi29
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
LOL, when did I say that he sucks?

And when did I say the position wasn't valuable and that we're in an extremely tough spot when it comes to down to us re-signing him or letting him walk. When, at the time, it was rumored that he wasn't going to get the tag.

SteelerFanInStl
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
If he doesn't want to be tagged, don't tag him. If it will afttect his play because he's ticked off, what's the point? Yes, he's a "professional, but it is evident that he's going for a big pay day. He's not going to get one with the Steelers. I say, let him go.

No, it won't affect his play because he can't afford to let it. Like you said, he'll be playing for that big pay day and he won't get it if he slacks off.

Northside Jonny
02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
No, it won't affect his play because he can't afford to let it. Like you said, he'll be playing for that big pay day and he won't get it if he slacks off.

Well there is always AL Davis . He (Casey) doesn't care if he wins anymore he has 2 rings. So if he doggs it through 1 year I bet you if AL Davis is still alive he will give Casey his 9 figure contract. Just look at how much they gave seabass. Oh yeah there is always the Lions.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Well there is always AL Davis . He (Casey) doesn't care if he wins anymore he has 2 rings. So if he doggs it through 1 year I bet you if AL Davis is still alive he will give Casey his 9 figure contract. Just look at how much they gave seabass. Oh yeah there is always the Lions.

Both 4-3 teams...

truesteelerfan
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Of course he doesn't want to be tagged....We all know the risk of injury could potentially keep him from making more long term money....but its not about Casey...Its about what is best for the Steelers....I think the last contract we signed him to was perfect...Great job....We got him where we want him...We can keep him one more year (albeit slightly overpaid)...and he can go his own way at 34....I wish we could have all of our superstars contracts work out this way...instead of such as Farrior's contract which keeps him around until he's what....38?

verks36
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Might be tagged?

Crappy headline

thank you

quote me on it now its not gonna happen