PDA

View Full Version : If we tag Casey...Who gets dropped?

steeltheone
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
We will be spending 7.5 mill on Casey ( 33) 6.6 mill on A. Smith ( 34 ) and 3.8 mill on Keisel ( 33). Not to sure we can do this with free agents and a need for youth.

tony hipchest
02-14-2010, 11:43 PM
there will be no cap next year. its just the same as giving casey a $7.5 mil signing bonus.

the money he earns has absolutely no effect of who we keep or drop.

but i would suggest one of arians poser FB's (even though we wont have to drop anyone to keep hampton)-

mchugh, davis, johnson, summers, spaeth, etc....

lionslicer
02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
there will be no cap next year. its just the same as giving casey a $7.5 mil signing bonus.

the money he earns has absolutely no effect of who we keep or drop.

but i would suggest one of arians poser FB's (even though we wont have to drop anyone to keep hampton)-

mchugh, davis, johnson, summers, spaeth, etc....

There's no cap 2011, there is a cap for 2010....
His Salary will take up cap room in 2010 and make us take on less players, if there was no cap we would have just signed him for what he was asking for and a long term deal. Teams want long term deals now so when there is a no cap year, they don't have to pay as much, but if htey get really high paying long term deals, it will screw up the 2010 salary cap room deal. That's what I've heard and read

OneForTheToe
02-15-2010, 12:05 AM
His Salary will take up cap room in 2010 and make us take on less players, if there was no cap we would have just signed him for what he was asking for and a long term deal. Teams want long term deals now so when there is a no cap year, they don't have to pay as much, but if htey get really high paying long term deals, it will screw up the 2010 salary cap room deal. That's what I've heard and read

Sorry, but you are incorrect. There will be no cap for 2010 unless there is a new CBA. The old CBA will remain in place for 2010 if a new agreement is not reached, which is why we get the extra franchise tags and such, but unless a new agreement is reached the cap is gone as of sometime in March.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80868b78&template=without-video&confirm=true

If there is no new agreement before the 2010 season, that season will be played without a salary cap under rules that also limit the free agency rights of the players. If not extended, the agreement would expire at the end of the 2010 league year.

tony hipchest
02-15-2010, 12:06 AM

NFL teams will play 2010 without a salary cap because of a lack of a collective bargaining agreement, which means they are allowed to spend as much as they want. But the Steelers are showing restraint, saying they will treat the season as if it were still capped, which would require the salaries to total between $111 million and $128 million.

the posted article is a bit of a misnomer. the steelers will calculate what the cap would have been this season and spend up to that.

anyways we got some dead money coming off the books. we actually saved money by giving starks a new deal, ans restructuring hines. fast willie alone is a $4 million savings.

franchising hampton certainly wont break the steelers bank, or they wouldnt even entertain the idea in the fist place.

lionslicer
02-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Sorry, but you are incorrect. There will be no cap for 2010 unless there is a new CBA. The old CBA will remain in place for 2010 if a new agreement is not reached, which is why we get the extra franchise tags and such, but unless a new agreement is reached the cap is gone as of sometime in March.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80868b78&template=without-video&confirm=true

The article says theren't wont be a cap at the end of the 2010 year...

7willBheaven
02-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Also they paid Casey over 6 million this season i read somewhere...so if they did tag him and all...it'd only cost them around a million more than he made this year....so its not like its an EXTRA 7 mil.

msafford
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
The article says theren't wont be a cap at the end of the 2010 year...

Where does it say that? All it says is that the current CBA wil expire at the end of the 2010 season.

The NFL issued the following release this morning:

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement, initially negotiated in 1993, has been extended on several occasions, most recently in March 2006. The 2006 extension, which could have continued through the 2012 season, gave both the NFL and the NFLPA an option to shorten the deal by one or two years.

NFL clubs today voted unanimously to exercise that option and to continue negotiating a new agreement for the 2011 season and beyond that will work better for both the clubs and the players.

What does this mean to fans and games on the field?
Even without another agreement, NFL football will be played without threat of interruption for at least the next three seasons. The 2008 and 2009 seasons will be played with a salary cap. If there is no new agreement before the 2010 season, that season will be played without a salary cap under rules that also limit the free agency rights of the players. If not extended, the agreement would expire at the end of the 2010 league year.

We are resolved to do our best to achieve a fair agreement that will allow labor peace to continue through and beyond the 2011 season.

OneForTheToe
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
lionslicer, I think you might be confusing the end of a salary cap with the end of the CBA. They are actually two separate things. Because the owners notified the NFLPA of their intent to opt out of the CBA one year early, it initiaited a provision in the existing CBA that provides for no cap in 2010. However, the CBA continues for 2010, which is why teams are getting an extra franchise tag as well as setting in motion a few other provisions designed to lessen the impact of the no cap year.

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
We won't drop anybody. Even if we do act like there is still a salary cap, we were about $4-5 million under the cap to begin with, we get another $4 million because cutting Simmons cost us a $4 million cap hit last year, and about $6 million for Hampton's cap hit. Parker couldn't have worked out better: We get rid of a huge drag on the offense and get paid $4.5 million to do it. So overall, we've got at least $18 million to work with, which is plenty. I'm guessing it's also about 50-50 whether Sweed will be back at all, which would save another $1 million if he's gone.

Plus ... I'm guessing the statement that the Steelers will "act as if there is a salary cap" is not a hard-and-fast policy, so much as giving the fans (and our own players) advance notice that we're not going to be spending money like drunken sailors at a brothel in Bangkok. In other words, fans, don't get pissed that we didn't sign T.O. and five All-Pros in free agency ... and players, no cap does not mean it's open season to demand a new 6-year, $100 million deal.

If it comes down to maintaining our imaginary salary cap or letting a key player go, I'm pretty certain we'll do what it takes to keep the team together. Although on the other hand, we did screw the pooch pretty badly with cap management in 2009, and I mean REALLY had sex with a dog.

steeltheone
02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
this board is sold on the fact that everything will be solved with troy back. I hope this to be true. My better judgement tells me we are a year older and slower yet in the middle.

steeltheone
02-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure spending 17 million on 3 old guys while hood rides the pine at 1 mill makes much sense.

Chidi29
02-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't see how we're obligated to drop some big name if/when we slap Hampton with the tag. Refresh my memory, but were there any big cuts two years ago when Starks got tagged. Not this past season when we ended up extending him long-term, I know Foote was cut, but I don't recall only cap casualties two years ago. And Starks got more than Hampton IIRC.

What I have said for awhile is not to be surprised if Aaron Smith is cut if his rehab doesn't go along quickly or if it seems like he's a shell of his former self. The guy is in his 30s, been playing for over ten years, and has two right arm injuries since 2007 (A torn bicep and last year, a torn rotator cuff that he perhaps foolishly, though I understand his intentions of doing so, played through before finally going on IR). That isn't to say that we should cut him if he's healthy and looks good, but it'd be tough to justify paying him over $6.5 million if he isn't what he used to be.

pancake
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't see how we're obligated to drop some big name if/when we slap Hampton with the tag. Refresh my memory, but were there any big cuts two years ago when Starks got tagged. Not this past season when we ended up extending him long-term, I know Foote was cut, but I don't recall only cap casualties two years ago. And Starks got more than Hampton IIRC.

What I have said for awhile is not to be surprised if Aaron Smith is cut if his rehab doesn't go along quickly or if it seems like he's a shell of his former self. The guy is in his 30s, been playing for over ten years, and has two right arm injuries since 2007 (A torn bicep and last year, a torn rotator cuff that he perhaps foolishly, though I understand his intentions of doing so, played through before finally going on IR). That isn't to say that we should cut him if he's healthy and looks good, but it'd be tough to justify paying him over $6.5 million if he isn't what he used to be.

I agree... :thumbsup:

truesteelerfan
02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
After we tag Casey...Won't it be about time we also start doing some restructuring of our other longer contracts to free up space? Seems like we've done that in the past....Thinking the steelers won't probably do this...but how about rework some contracts so that IF that uncapped year happens, we pay out some of the bonus money that was slated for later years....then when play resumes, we'll have more cap space for FA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Hampton gets tagged, a NT is drafted in the first 3 rounds as his eventual replacement. Either Reed or Clark is gone and we probably save $$ on the contracts of the departing:

-Parker, Townsend, Carter, Stapleton, Kirschke, Eason(or not), Carey Davis and probably Spaeth.

For 2011, the Steelers then choose to not extend Hampton, Aaron Smith, Trai Essex and Farrior retires........with all that cap room they are able to extend Holmes, Woodley, Mendenhall and hopefully Colon. No need for somebody to get dropped.