PDA

View Full Version : Starting lineup next year you think we'll have, or want...

vrabinec
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Anyone who thinks the lineup is gonna be plugged full of new free agents or draft picks next year doesn't know how the Steelers operate. So let's see what you think the starting lineup on day 1 will be. Here's mine:

C-Hartiwig (I would love an upgrade here, but don't see that as a possibility)
LG- Kemo (I'm okay with that)
RG-Urbik (He showed great feet in camp, but just needed to muscle up)
LT-Starks (Meh, even if we draft a first rounder as an eventual replacement, Starks is the guy this year)
RT-Colon (I really think Colon is one of the best RT's in the NFL)
TE-Heat
RB-Mendy (Rookie to work into the rotation eventually. Someone who can knock people back on a 3rd and 1)
FB-Johnson (I thought he did okay for a rookie)
WR-Holmes (Better extend his contract)
WR-Ward
WR-Wallace (lot more playing time this year)
K-Reed (I'm not one of those who wants someone new here, but if we go with Czech, I wouldn't freak out like some would)

NT-Hampton (No doubt in my mind we'll either re-sign him or tag him)
DE-Smith (Good to have him back)
DE-Hood (IMO, he'll beat out Keisel who will get plenty of reps as the primary backup)
OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
ILB-Farrior (I'd like them to use one of the first 2 picks for the eventual successor here)
CB-Ike
CB-Gay (It'll be a battle, but I think he'll hold off Burnett and Lewis)
S-Troy (Welcome back your majesty)
S-Clark (He wants to be back, and in the end we won't be able to find anyone better for now, but we'll draft a safety in the first 3 rounds as the eventual successor)
P-Sepulveda (It might be tempting to let him go because of the money we'd have to pay him, but the FO will chicken out at the last second and keep what they have instead of going for the unknown)

So, my vision of what our starters will be next year has a whopping 1 new starter. Maybe one of the young corners beats out Gay, but from what I saw last year in camp, I'm not betting on it. Thing is, with that lineup, if Troy and Aaron stay healthy and we can work in some rookies at RB, OL, DB, and LB, I think that team can go anywhere between the 9-7 from last year to 14-2, and could definitely make noise in the playoffs.

steelerdude15
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone who thinks the lineup is gonna be plugged full of new free agents or draft picks next year doesn't know how the Steelers operate. So let's see what you think the starting lineup on day 1 will be. Here's mine:
That's absolutely true my friend, the Steelers go by the textbook and draft a team, if you know what I mean. I agree that Hartwig isn't doing his job that well and we do need an upgrade. The thing for Kemoeatu is that LG isn't his natural position, RG is. Other than that, offensively were stacked. Ben, Hines, Heath, etc. Defensively well we're struggling. There starting to show age, James still has it and Woodley is great so OLBs are packed tight. Timmons is getting better every year, but Farrior is getting older and drafting a MLB in this draft or next year will be a great move. Smith will be back healthy and Hood played great his first year so we'll see what happens in training camp. Ike Taylor is the best CB they have and Gay just doesn't cut it IMO. Troy will be back and drafting a another safety for the replacement of Clark. Earl Thomas would be good, if I correct he is a SS, but we could move him to FS.

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
wouldn't you have saved yourself a lot of typing and just say the only change will be urbik in, essex out ?

steeltheone
02-15-2010, 02:59 PM
That's absolutely true my friend, the Steelers go by the textbook and draft a team, if you know what I mean. I agree that Hartwig isn't doing his job that well and we do need an upgrade. The thing for Kemoeatu is that LG isn't his natural position, RG is. Other than that, offensively were stacked. Ben, Hines, Heath, etc. Defensively well we're struggling. There starting to show age, James still has it and Woodley is great so OLBs are packed tight. Timmons is getting better every year, but Farrior is getting older and drafting a MLB in this draft or next year will be a great move. Smith will be back healthy and Hood played great his first year so we'll see what happens in training camp. Ike Taylor is the best CB they have and Gay just doesn't cut it IMO. Troy will be back and drafting a another safety for the replacement of Clark. Earl Thomas would be good, if I correct he is a SS, but we could move him to FS.

James still has it ? Did you watch the games last year? He is a 2 down linebaker at best.

steelerdude15
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I did watch the games. He must remember that he is such a target, teams will do anything so he doesn't make a play. He is also held so much as well, which is never called. Lebeau also didn't blitz him as much last year as he has before and even admitted to calling more conservative plays on defense when Troy got hurt.

steelreserve
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
So basically ... we'll have the same exact team except for RG?

Don't get me wrong; that's probably not too far from the truth. Although I also wouldn't be surprised to see:

- Legursky at RG (or as a longshot, at C)
- Summers at FB or backup "bruiser" HB
- DL becoming more of a true rotation, with Hood and Harris getting on the field about a third of the time
- Gay beaten out by Burnett
- Reed being shown the door for Czech or that guy from Michigan State

GBMelBlount
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM

LT-Starks (Meh, even if we draft a first rounder as an eventual replacement, Starks is the guy this year)
TE-Heat
RB-Mendy (Rookie to work into the rotation eventually. Someone who can knock people back on a 3rd and 1)
WR-Ward
K-Reed (I'm not one of those who wants someone new here, but if we go with Czech, I wouldn't freak out like some would)

DE-Hood (IMO, he'll beat out Keisel who will get plenty of reps as the primary backup)
OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
ILB-Farrior (I'd like them to use one of the first 2 picks for the eventual successor here)
CB-Ike
S-Clark (He wants to be back, and in the end we won't be able to find anyone better for now, but we'll draft a safety in the first 3 rounds as the eventual successor)
P-Sepulveda (It might be tempting to let him go because of the money we'd have to pay him, but the FO will chicken out at the last second and keep what they have instead of going for the unknown)

So, my vision of what our starters will be next year has a whopping 1 new starter. Maybe one of the young corners beats out Gay, but from what I saw last year in camp, I'm not betting on it. Thing is, with that lineup, if Troy and Aaron stay healthy and we can work in some rookies at RB, OL, DB, and LB, I think that team can go anywhere between the 9-7 from last year to 14-2, and could definitely make noise in the playoffs.

MasterOfPuppets

Awouldn't you have saved yourself a lot of typing and just say the only change will be urbik in, essex out ?

:rofl:

OneForTheToe
02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
IMO, people are jumping the gun on Ziggy. While I thought he had a fine rookie season by making a contribution on defense, which is very hard to do as a rookie in a LeBeau defense, he had one sack and 8 tackles all season. I think that was fine for a rookie, but I don't think it proves you are good enough to beat out a long-term starter. I believe Ziggy will play a great deal next season, as a replacement, and as the inevitable injuries occur. I just don't see the inevitability of his starting role by the beginning of the season.

As for Urbik, I hope the kid does step up to start because I thought Essex did a fine job as a tackle playing guard, but I don't think the ceiling is that high for him at guard. Let's not forget that Urbik not only has to beat out Essex, but also probably Foster (who also has a chance to start).

Finally, it is possible Gay will start again, but I am hoping one of the kids can beat him out.

pancake
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM

TE-Heat
WR-Ward

OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
CB-Ike

I agree with you on most of this...

1. I think Reed is more valuable than you do.
2. I do think Farrior is on his way out, but I was impressed with Fox.
3. I think Lewis will be the one to push Gay.
4. I don't think Urbrik cracks line-up this year, the only reason he was not cut was where he was drafted.
5. I wouldn't be shocked if our first round pick starts before week 8. I am hoping it is a CB, but could be a OL too. A RT in the first and then move Colon to RG sounds nice, but we need a good CB to get this defense back to where it needs to be.
6. I have a feeling we won't sign Clark, we will get a FA to hold us till who ever we draft is ready.

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I really doubt Hood knocks Keisel out of the starting lineup. Keisel has had his best 2 seasons by far the last two years, and he is just an immensely consistent force. We did sign Keisel to a 5 year contract (4 years left) for a reason......I believe Keisel and Hood are the future at DE right now. Keisel is 30 years old if i recall correctly, still got plenty of gas left, especially since he hasnt played as much as you would think in the NFL

pancake
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I really doubt Hood knocks Keisel out of the starting lineup. Keisel has had his best 2 seasons by far the last two years, and he is just an immensely consistent force. We did sign Keisel to a 5 year contract (4 years left) for a reason......I believe Keisel and Hood are the future at DE right now. Keisel is 30 years old if i recall correctly, still got plenty of gas left, especially since he hasnt played as much as you would think in the NFL

That is another point I forgot to add. I think Hood will play more, but I don't see him starting without an injury in the line-up...

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
To me, Hood is OBVIOUSLY our heir apparent for Aaron Smith. Smith is like 33 years old, and Keisel is a bit long in the tooth too, but Smith is definitely retiring earlier with 2 season ending injuries the last 3 years. Keisel signed an extension, and we drafted Hood. It's simple. I think Hood + Keisel will be an awesome combo

pancake
02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
To me, Hood is OBVIOUSLY our heir apparent for Aaron Smith. Smith is like 33 years old, and Keisel is a bit long in the tooth too, but Smith is definitely retiring earlier with 2 season ending injuries the last 3 years. Keisel signed an extension, and we drafted Hood. It's simple. I think Hood + Keisel will be an awesome combo

In maybe 2 or 3 years, I see Smith staying for 2 more.

steelpride12
02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
To sum it up yes the DL is getting older and its time to start getting in some rotations with Hood on that line. He Will in no way knock off Keisel who got a 5 year sign for a reason. I think the rest of the team will stay stable except I hope Gay get's beaten out, but it may not happen so Im not getting my hopes up.

supa_fly_steeler
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I truly wouldn't be surprised if Wallace gets alot more time next season, im talking about 50 catches for at least 800 yards.

We go up against some bad pass defences next year. Wallace should be licking his lips. I really want to see him burn asomaugha for a 40 yard touchdown to shut the Raiders up about that cornerback thats a God to them.

vrabinec
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
wouldn't you have saved yourself a lot of typing and just say the only change will be urbik in, essex out ?

It would have been easier, but I went through them one at a time, and then looked back at what would be different.

As for Keisel v. Hood, I wouldn't judge Hood by what you guys saw last year. He is a far better athlete than Keisel, and showed himself to be a real football player at the end of the year. I like Keisel, and he's not the first guy I'd replace in the starting lineup, but someone on the line has to go to make room for Hood, because he's not gonna be sitting on the sideline, and it's not gonna be Hampton or Smith. Just check the yards per rush before Smith went out versus after he went out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Urbik at RG.......dont you know he is a bust?????

All the posters that said Mendenhall was a bust this year have anointed him a bust, so it must be true. :sofunny:

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
In maybe 2 or 3 years, I see Smith staying for 2 more.

yeah that's what i meant.

And dont forget about Sonny Harris guys! We picked up Keisel and Smith in the late rounds, just like him.

pancake
02-15-2010, 09:21 PM
yeah that's what i meant.

And dont forget about Sonny Harris guys! We picked up Keisel and Smith in the late rounds, just like him.

I like the Harris kid too...:thumbsup:

Northside Jonny
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I couldn't agree more on your opinion about the kickers. I think it is in the best interest of the team to keep Punter and Kicker statis quo.

Prok
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
James still has it ? Did you watch the games last year? He is a 2 down linebaker at best.

I've read several mocks where that McClain (SP) ILB from Alabama could fall past our spot. Playing that scenario out in my mind i'd have to think Colbert and Tomlin at least think hard about him if he's there at 18.

Sure we have more pressing needs but in that scenario he'd prolly be BAP left on the board?

This will be a damn interesting draft imo.

Psyychoward86
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM

that was one year dude...

steelerdude15
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah I mean, you can't throw in the towel on Harrison yet. He had 79 tackles and 10 sacks this past year and that's still pretty good. You can't always have 100 tackles and over 15 sacks every season. Every player is going to have there up and down years.

Aussie_steeler
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM

1. C-Hartiwig (I would love an upgrade here, but don't see that as a possibility)
2. LG- Kemo (I'm okay with that)
3. RG-Urbik (He showed great feet in camp, but just needed to muscle up)
4. LT-Starks (Meh, even if we draft a first rounder as an eventual replacement, Starks is the guy this year)
5. RT-Colon (I really think Colon is one of the best RT's in the NFL)
6. TE-Heat
7. RB-Mendy (Rookie to work into the rotation eventually. Someone who can knock people back on a 3rd and 1)
8. FB-Johnson (I thought he did okay for a rookie)
9. WR-Holmes (Better extend his contract)
10. WR-Ward
11. WR-Wallace (lot more playing time this year)

So it looks like we are starting the season in the wildcat. Who is taking the first snap?

Personally I would have a QB in our starting lineup and go TE, 3 wide and a lone RB.

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
I've read several mocks where that McClain (SP) ILB from Alabama could fall past our spot. Playing that scenario out in my mind i'd have to think Colbert and Tomlin at least think hard about him if he's there at 18.

Sure we have more pressing needs but in that scenario he'd prolly be BAP left on the board?

i'd suggest avoiding those websites in the future... there is no way in hell McClain drops to 18.

vrabinec
02-16-2010, 07:27 AM
So it looks like we are starting the season in the wildcat. Who is taking the first snap?

Personally I would have a QB in our starting lineup and go TE, 3 wide and a lone RB.

Funny. Ben just seems automatic. No, no wildcat here. I just figure they'll shuttle Wallace and Johnson in and out depending on the play.

vrabinec
02-16-2010, 07:28 AM

McClain's the best ILB I've seen coming out since Willis. I doubt he drops to us, but if he does and we pass on him, I'd slit my wrists.

steelerdave1969
02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah I mean, you can't throw in the towel on Harrison yet. He had 79 tackles and 10 sacks this past year and that's still pretty good. You can't always have 100 tackles and over 15 sacks every season. Every player is going to have there up and down years.

I would have to say that I have to agree here steelerdude. Harrison and Woodley both were called upon to do different things in this defense this past season as in the past with Troy being out and the replacements not getting the job done.
I love Harrison and what he brings to our defenese in intensity and who else would you have on the roster in his spot?.. There is no one who would even come close to his numbers and Woodley's numbers would go way down on sacks.
I also dont see any way in hades that Urbik will be starting this season.. he was atleast 3rd string last year and there will be improvements by the undrafted rookie from TN that started ahead of him already.. No way he starts unless there is injuries.

vrabinec
02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
I also dont see any way in hades that Urbik will be starting this season.. he was atleast 3rd string last year and there will be improvements by the undrafted rookie from TN that started ahead of him already.. No way he starts unless there is injuries.

Different guys don't play as rookies for different reasons. I saw Urbik in camp and even then he had the best footwork out of any of our linemen. The only problem he had was that he needed to strengthen up in his torso, ass, and thighs so he wouldn't get bull rushed, and that's something that can be fixed with an offseason of lifting weights. He's more of a left guard IMO, and I hope the first order of things on the new o-line coach's agenda is to swap Kemo to the right side. But either way, Urbik is gonna be a huge help in pass blocking because he'll be able to slide out to pick up the stunts our slow-footed tackles can't. Just because the guy wasn't ready last year, doesn't mean he's garbage.

steeltheone
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
that was one year dude...

Yes his 33 year old, year...he has slowed up....Speed does not improve at 34...Starting (4) 33 and over year olds in the middle will kill us... to slow. And expensive.

mopit55
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
keisel play better than hood but with the return of smith it will in rotation.for the draft i hope steelers draft iupati or bruce campbell it's possible because roethlisberger need more protection.we need a right tackle and a young center.

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Didn't Kimo von Oelhoffen play for us until he was like 36?

Just saying, anything could still be possible on the D-Line. Seems like at that position, being in your early 30s might not mean you're at the end of your career just yet.

Prok
02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
McClain's the best ILB I've seen coming out since Willis. I doubt he drops to us, but if he does and we pass on him, I'd slit my wrists.

lol

I'm goin' to the combine to plant false rumors on him. :noidea:

If I had to guess who we end up with it'd be Williams DT UT.

But i'm hoping for Haden to drop. IMO we need a corner in here who can play man.

Prok
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Just saying, anything could still be possible on the D-Line. Seems like at that position, being in your early 30s might not mean you're at the end of your career just yet.

Would it be possible for our DL to consist of Smith, Hampton and Hood ?

I see many have Hood slated for Smith's backup. Why couldn't he start on the other side ?

vrabinec
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
lol

I'm goin' to the combine to plant false rumors on him. :noidea:

If I had to guess who we end up with it'd be Williams DT UT.

But i'm hoping for Haden to drop. IMO we need a corner in here who can play man.

Yeah, Haden's another wet dream that'll probably never happen, unless the 17 teams drafting ahead of us are just blithering idiots. I would be happy with Williams or one of the big OT's (one of the good ones like Davis or Bulaga is sure to drop to us, there are too many good ones and not that many teams ahead of us need OT's as a top priority.)

Prok
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Haden's another wet dream that'll probably never happen, unless the 17 teams drafting ahead of us are just blithering idiots. I would be happy with Williams or one of the big OT's (one of the good ones like Davis or Bulaga is sure to drop to us, there are too many good ones and not that many teams ahead of us need OT's as a top priority.)

It's funny. Every year the last few years i get my hopes up for a good to great C, OG or OT. Then it seems a bunch of teams create a run on them before we get to pick, then we end up BAP with our choice. Well if there is a run on OL THIS year then a great player on D should fall into our laps.

But yeah I wouldn't be upset with your scenario playing out a bit.

Everyone keeps saying this is such a deep draft that I now have my hopes up for us to get our depth back AND grab a couple quality starters.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Would it be possible for our DL to consist of Smith, Hampton and Hood ?

I see many have Hood slated for Smith's backup. Why couldn't he start on the other side ?

Because Brett Keisel signed a 5 year contract last year that had starter's money, and with good reason. People from other teams really underrate Aaron Smith. I think Pittsburgh Steelers fans underrate Brett Keisel. This guy is having his heydays right now. I dont see how you cant absolutely love him the last 2-3 years.

Prok
02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Because Brett Keisel signed a 5 year contract last year that had starter's money, and with good reason. People from other teams really underrate Aaron Smith. I think Pittsburgh Steelers fans underrate Brett Keisel. This guy is having his heydays right now. I dont see how you cant absolutely love him the last 2-3 years.

Good post.

My thinking is that since we invested the 1st round pick in Hood he should be earning a starting job sooner rather than later. Couldn't see him beating Smith out so figured he could get Keisel's role. Either way he should rotate in plenty.

Also I wasn't sure if it was a RDE vs LDE thing.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM

oh sure, im not counting out Smith or anything, i think he'll keep playing at a high level for a couple more years, i just think Ziggy Hood's improvements will eventually trump him out of the starting lineup. But i think that's going to happen later, rather than sooner