PDA

View Full Version : Raiders give kicker $9 mil guaranteed

tony hipchest
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Filed to ESPN: Raiders and Sebastian Janikowki reached agreement on richest K contract in NFL history - 4 yrs, $16m, $9m guaranteed.

-as per adam schefter and the wonderful world of twitter.

not only will this affect negotiations from jeff reed's agent's perspective, it also inflates the franchise tag value of kickers.

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Everyone knows Al Davis is a senile moron, and any agent who bases his demands on what the Raiders do can have fun getting laughed out of the owner's office.

Sucks for us about the franchise tag, though. More like transition anyway.

supa_fly_steeler
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Thats why they are called the Jokeland Raiders.

What a stupid thing to do. Why did Al Davis mummy and daddy do drugs that night.

Indo
02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I can't decide who is worse,
Al Davis
Jerry Jones
Dan Snyder

someone should start a poll...

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM

already taken care of! :thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I can't decide who is worse,
Al Davis
Jerry Jones
Dan Snyder

People want Al Davis to hurry up and die or just die, so i think he is a clear winner, he ruined what was a proud franchise.

I do feel sorry for Raider fans a small tiny bit.

stlrtruck
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
This is just proof that Al Davis is in cohoots with Roger Goodell to destroy the league as we have known it, and as we know it today.

Nadroj 20
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
But But But Janikowki is their best player :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
For what it's worth - and apparently, quite a lot - the Raiders now have the highest-paid kicker and punter in NFL history (same deals).

-adam schefter on twitter

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Does this mean that P Czech will be kicking next season??

I mean, really.....if the Steelers will not pay Alan Faneca $6mil a season to play OG, will they pay Reed $3.5 mil to kick??

Indo
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Does this mean that P Czech will be kicking next season??

I mean, really.....if the Steelers will not pay Alan Faneca $6mil a season to play OG, will they pay Reed $3.5 mil to kick??

I will assume that that is a rhetorical question. You know they won't pay him even $3M

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
i bet the other owners can't wait till AL kicks the bucket. i mean he's like the moron at an auction that keeps you from getting a good deal on something with stupid bids and drives the price up to the point where you might as well just go buy it at a store.

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
But But But Janikowki is their best player :chuckle:

Sadly your probably right. I feel terrible for this Raider nation and the downfall of this wonderful organization. Reminds me of Nuttings and the Pirates, but it's great the Raider fans always stand strong for their team someday...MAYBE Davis will bite the big one.:noidea:

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 05:21 PM

I thought we offered Faneca 3 years and $19 million, but he gave us the finger because he wanted $8 million a year.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
It's all about the physical abilities with Al......

DHB= blazing fast

Lechler + Janikowski= Strong leg

Jamarcus Russel= strong arm

Other wide receivers= Big

lulz

RoethlisBURGHer
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't think this affects the franchise tag amount.

I am pretty sure that the franchise tag is the average of salaries of the top five highest paid players at the position based on last season. So this new Janikowski deal shouldn't affect the price to tag Reed this season, but it would next season (if there is a next season and if there is a franchise tag).

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I thought we offered Faneca 3 years and $19 million, but he gave us the finger because he wanted $8 million a year.

You are right. The Jets gave Faneca a 5-year $40 mil contract. I thought he was getting 6mil, not 8.

Its still gonna be interesting to see if Reed wants top 5 kicker money and holds out for it. Even more interesting to see if the Steelers give him anything close to $3mil. I just cant see it.

Psyychoward86
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
You are right. The Jets gave Faneca a 5-year $40 mil contract. I thought he was getting 6mil, not 8.

Its still gonna be interesting to see if Reed wants top 5 kicker money and holds out for it. Even more interesting to see if the Steelers give him anything close to $3mil. I just cant see it.

ughhhh, if he leaves i really hope we get that awesome bad-weather kicker from whatchamacallit. What's his name?

tony hipchest
02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't think this affects the franchise tag amount.

I am pretty sure that the franchise tag is the average of salaries of the top five highest paid players at the position based on last season. So this new Janikowski deal shouldn't affect the price to tag Reed this season, but it would next season (if there is a next season and if there is a franchise tag).it does.

last year, bungles kicker was franchised for about $2.5 mil (average of top 5 kickers).

teh year before, r. gould signed the richest kicker deal. (5yrs/15 mil).

josh brown and vinatieri are all around 2.5 and up.

ad in the janikowski deal and the franchise value goes up atleast $250,000. being that the average kicker's deal in the top 5 is now about 3 mil, the franchise tag could very well be 3 mil which is atleast $500,000 more than last year.

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't think we pay Reed anywhere near $3 million a year. I also don't see us using the franchise tag. If he doesn't take around $2M, we probably just say "OK, we'll use the transition tag and you can blow me." Unless we already have our eye on someone as his replacement -- in which case we'll do the same as above, minus "we'll use the transition tag."

AllD
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
P Czech is not the answer even if he kicks for league minimum. The team may transition Reed if he does not sign a long term deal. You can always draft the best kicker available which should go no earlier than the 4th round instead of picking out of free agency after.

It is going to take a silver bullet or wooden stake to send Davis back to the Underworld. Remember, he is the first NFL owner to sue the NFL....or himself?! The man is punchy like a boxer who no longer has the skills or the speed and should not enter the ring. However, the day he is out of football is the day he passes. Without the Raiders he is a bigger clown with no authority to push anybody around except the valet parking attendant.

steelreserve
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
P Czech is not the answer even if he kicks for league minimum. The team may transition Reed if he does not sign a long term deal. You can always draft the best kicker available which should go no earlier than the 4th round instead of picking out of free agency after.

That's why I think we were so interested in the Michigan State guy whose name I can't remember. Though at this point it's all basically speculation. But people do need to get over the Reed-or-nothing mentality. One day we WILL need a different kicker.

It is going to take a silver bullet or wooden stake to send Davis back to the Underworld. Remember, he is the first NFL owner to sue the NFL....or himself?! The man is punchy like a boxer who no longer has the skills or the speed and should not enter the ring. However, the day he is out of football is the day he passes. Without the Raiders he is a bigger clown with no authority to push anybody around except the valet parking attendant.

That's one of the more spot-on analyses of Al Davis that I've seen in a long time.

T&B fan
02-16-2010, 08:34 PM
i bet the other owners can't wait till AL kicks the bucket. i mean he's like the moron at an auction that keeps you from getting a good deal on something with stupid bids and drives the price up to the point where you might as well just go buy it at a store.

I see you go to the same auctions that I have ,
I seen a guy pay $25,000 for a pu 1 yr old and 30,000 miles .. I priced the same truck at a deler the day before , new $28,000 ,0 miles with bumper to bumper 1yr warinty ..

silver & black
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
People want Al Davis to hurry up and die or just die, so i think he is a clear winner, he ruined what was a proud franchise.

I do feel sorry for Raider fans a small tiny bit.

Aw... I'm touched.:grin:

silver & black
02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
It's all about the physical abilities with Al......

DHB= blazing fast

Lechler + Janikowski= Strong leg

Jamarcus Russel= strong arm

Other wide receivers= Big

lulz

Unfortunately, you're right. It ceased to be about football players a long time a go.

silver & black
02-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Trust me... there are quite a few Raiders fans that agree with you. I might even know one of them. :wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I see you go to the same auctions that I have ,
I seen a guy pay $25,000 for a pu 1 yr old and 30,000 miles .. I priced the same truck at a deler the day before , new $28,000 ,0 miles with bumper to bumper 1yr warinty ..
if you wanna see stupidity at its finest, just spend some time on ebay. i guess some people aren't smart enough to use google and do a quick price check on things before they start bidding and they definetly don't figure in the shipping charges. i once put in a bid for a dewalt miter saw that was supposedly "like new", so i figured with it being used and no warrenty i'd go as high as 60% (including shipping charges).... not only did it go for as much as it cost new at lowes but the idiot had like $39 to pay for shipping and without the warrenty !! :doh:

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 01:17 AM
not only will this affect negotiations from jeff reed's agent's perspective, it also inflates the franchise tag value of kickers.

then again, i dont know doodie, and ed bullchite most certainly doesnt...

Kickers' salary bar rises for Steelers' Reed

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036378-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Jeff Reed's agent walked off a Florida golf course to a sight more satisfying than any birdie putt: His cell phone chirped with the news that the Oakland Raiders had just made Sebastian Janikowski the most expensive kicker in NFL history.

"I don't know what to tell you," Don Henderson said Tuesday afternoon. "The ironic part is, if you take a look at field-goal kickers the last three years, Jeff Reed leads the league in field-goal percentage."
Henderson said Steelers negotiator Omar Kahn called him Monday, apparently to begin negotiations on a new contract for Reed, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 5 without one. The news one day later that Janikowski signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Raiders that includes $9 million in guaranteed money could not have come at a better time for Reed.

"Omar on Monday asked my opinion, and I said all I can tell you is what the stats tell me: that Jeff is the field-goal percentage leader in the NFL," Henderson said.

Reed has made 88.5 percent of his field-goal tries the past three years, 77 of 87. He was 27 of 31 this past season as well as in 2008 and kicked two field goals in Super Bowl XLIII. Janikowski, a former first-round draft choice known for his booming leg, has been good on 80.2 percent of his field-goal tries the past three seasons (73 of 91), including 26 of 29 in 2009.

Reed also kicks in one of the toughest home stadiums and in perhaps the toughest division for kickers in the NFL.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said Friday that Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark are the team's three priorities to negotiate contract extensions before free agency starts. All would become unrestricted if they do not. Colbert said the team would wait until the end of this week to begin negotiations.

The Steelers offered a contract to Reed just before the 2009 season began that was rejected.

"We tried to get something done before season and it just didn't work out," said Henderson, who said the amount of Janikowski's new contract did not surprise him. "We want to be in Pittsburgh and they know we want to be there."

i will say the raiders routinely allow janikowski to attempt 55+ yd fg's where as reed is limited from beyond 45.

im not sure being handled with kids gloves on a tough turf is grounds for historical pay raise.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
then again, i dont know doodie, and ed bullchite most certainly doesnt...

Kickers' salary bar rises for Steelers' Reed

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036378-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

i will say the raiders routinely allow janikowski to attempt 55+ yd fg's where as reed is limited from beyond 45.

im not sure being handled with kids gloves on a tough turf is grounds for historical pay raise.not to mention janikowski can get the ball to the endzone on kickoffs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
im not sure being handled with kids gloves on a tough turf is grounds for historical pay raise.

But you cant argue with statistics. Don't you know..... :rulez:

"statistically speaking, the average human being has one testicle and one breast": Intro Statistics Professor

lionslicer
02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Shane Lechler got the same contract in 2008, but I don't think he was guaranteed 9 million. But he was the highest paid punter in NFL history for it. So I guess the Raiders are making sure they have the best special teams lol... That wont help the play of their Offense and Defense though...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
That's why I think we were so interested in the Michigan State guy whose name I can't remember.

Brett Swenson?? The all time Spartans scoring leader?? Knock on him is that he doesnt kick off deep, but I guess neither does Reed.

Leigh Tiffin from Bama should show better leg strength at the combine and be another option.